If you were a psychopath...

That is what I would call a romantic view, to suppose that something exists in terms of the narrative, because of the context or the disposition of an observer, but not as a fact in objective terms.

do post a link to the science article which describes the mechanism used to know for all certainty what a person thinks and why they think it.

Until you are able to do so, let us romantically assume that everything psychologists say on these matters is subjective observation shall we.

but wait

assuming the above is not 'romantic' it is .................. realistic

perhaps a quick trip to the dictionary is in order?

and here we have evidence of a mind creating a link that does not exist. I stated a fact (as I saw it) I did not attach an emotional value to the fact. You attached the emotional value yourself. Interesting........perhaps take the words from the page and try to understand them as they are written without trying to read 'between the lines'. If you can't see it, it's not there.

I just stopped in for a look at where this thread has gone...

And here is where the romance begins. Those who break the rules are often given high regards in popular culture.

I was taking note of those things that I see... Television, radio, theater, and games. The bulk of our entertainment is focused on psychopathic characters. Even the "Good Guys" are psychopaths. There is a very good movie I watched which made that very point, but I cannot remember the title. I suppose that the other question might be, who defines a culture that feeds on psychopathic behavior? Is it the media or the spectators?

Anyway, I don't believe people are so docile but they do love the show.

If a female rabbit does not remove the offspring away from the male rabbit soom after the birth, the male will eat the young rabbits. Try raising rabbits, this will happen. The same in hampsters, fish, and mice. Even lions have been known to get 'jealous' of younger lion cubs and kill them. Chimps also kill there own. Deer will abandon a young fawn if they sense it has a developmental problem. Its the way of the world, of life an death. The strongest of the species survives and thrives off of the weaker ones.

Hunting 'seasons were developed as a check and balance to keep deer herd, and other prey, from over populating AND from being over hunted.

http://www.ci.austin.tx.us/preserves/whatis.htm

scroll down to about half page. This is where i live.

Thats BS. Mice and Apes never do that, they are both proven to be capable of empathy. Dog's don't usually do that either.

Cat's do that, but usually big cats.

Yet most people are compassionate. Is that the product of our intelect and developed conscience, an imposed restraint of social ethics, or a character trait unique to our species? I would choose the last, but I am curious what others might think.

No, we are not the only animal capable. Mice are capable, dolphins may be capable, chimps are capable, it's a complete myth that empathy is exclusive to humans. I've seen dogs display it.
I have personally seen animals display it to each other. Their version of it may not be as developed as ours, but it's certainly not a human specific trait.

http://www.sciencemag.org/cgi/content/abstract/312/5782/1967

Meat eaters generally manage a kind of double-think. Their expressed attitudes to animal suffering are very different to their practical actions (or lack thereof) with regard to it.

This is because not eating something has no effect on the profitability of the meat industry. Meat products are used in more than just foods you eat, you do know this right? Animals are killed for more than just the food you consume, so vegetarianism as a practical concern for animals just is not any better than not wearing fur coats. The only real way would be to not consume any animal products, veganism, and after a certain point it is no longer practical or healthy to do. This is why most people eat whatever is most practical.

Yes.

No. Haven't I explained this before? I do not consider mosquitoes and flies to have the same degree of consciousness, and particularly self-consciousness as animals such as cows, sheep and so on. Nevertheless, I still do not pull wings off flies just for the fun of it.

But some people do find it fun to cause pain and misery to others. Some people do not value a human life, an animal life, or life as a concept. Some people do not value their own life, so how could you expect them to value yours or anyone elses?

So in this case the value of a life changes from moment to moment based on desires and needs, feelings or rational judgement. So try to imagine the mental state of someone who does not value life period, not yours, not their own, not any living thing, in fact imagine this person hates life itself.

Can you adopt that perspective for a moment? Maybe you'll understand.

http://sg.answers.yahoo.com/question/index?qid=20061201193034AARWT4T
http://www.experienceproject.com/uw.php?e=2386
http://www.eliteskills.com/z/128978
http://www.ihatemymiserablelife.com/

Last edited:
I just stopped in for a look at where this thread has gone...

And here is where the romance begins. Those who break the rules are often given high regards in popular culture.

I was taking note of those things that I see... Television, radio, theater, and games. The bulk of our entertainment is focused on psychopathic characters. Even the "Good Guys" are psychopaths. There is a very good movie I watched which made that very point, but I cannot remember the title. I suppose that the other question might be, who defines a culture that feeds on psychopathic behavior? Is it the media or the spectators?

Anyway, I don't believe people are so docile but they do love the show.
Good post Bowser, it seems we are in love with the unethical in our various forms of entertainment. I guess because such people have a nack of creating drama/flux.
And nice people by comparison are too boring i guess, unless theyre playing the victim role :(

Back