I think it's fun to step on ants. So what?

How is hunting any different? In my opinion it is worse.
You are a vegetarian then. Good for you. I am philosphically a vegetarian. Only my omnivorous genetic heritage incline me to periodic bouts of carnivorous behaviour. I applaud your decision to behave ethically and refrain from meat eating.

You are a vegetarian then. Good for you. I am philosphically a vegetarian. Only my omnivorous genetic heritage incline me to periodic bouts of carnivorous behaviour. I applaud your decision to behave ethically and refrain from meat eating.

I am not a vegetarian. I believe that it is hypocritical to judge someone for stepping on ants, which feel no pain, while condoning a hunter who kills animals, which feel pain, for fun. If the hunter is killing with the intent to eat, then it is different. I see no difference between stomping on ants because you want to and going hunting because you want to.

I am not a vegetarian. I believe that it is hypocritical to judge someone for stepping on ants, which feel no pain, while condoning a hunter who kills animals, which feel pain, for fun. If the hunter is killing with the intent to eat, then it is different. I see no difference between stomping on ants because you want to and going hunting because you want to.
All the hunters I know eat what they kill or pass it to friends who will eat it. Hunters who kill animals for the pleasure of killing and do not eat the resultant carcase are not hunters, but psychotic pigs.

Clear enough for you yet?

Don't be silly. Where is the persecution. We are stating that someone who delights in killing has very likely got a screw loose somewhere. I can understand the hunter who bags a couple of geese. They are engaging in what at one time all humans engaged in - hunting and therfore killing for survival.

That is quite different from killing for the sake of killing which is what the OP enjoys doing. Telling him we think he is a sick nutter is hardly persecuting him. Persecuting him would be finding out where he lives and staging a 24 hour protest outside his home seven days a week.

Hunters who bag geese are more sick than me, if I'm sick at all. Especially the ones who shoot the animals (deer, geese, etc) with no intention of eating them. Or people who fish. Killing for killing's sake -- except on way more complex animals.

All the hunters I know eat what they kill or pass it to friends who will eat it. Hunters who kill animals for the pleasure of killing and do not eat the resultant carcase are not hunters, but psychotic pigs.

Clear enough for you yet?

People don't hunt purely for food. Even the ones that eat deer and geese. There are cheaper, more simpler ways than obtaining the geese and deer meat and better kinds of meat without purchasing a rifle and shooting the animals yourself. People who hunt are doing it because they enjoy the activity of hunting the animals, period. They want them to die. It's not purely for food.

Hunters who bag geese are more sick than me, if I'm sick at all. Especially the ones who shoot the animals (deer, geese, etc) with no intention of eating them. Or people who fish. Killing for killing's sake -- except on way more complex animals.

And why should that make a difference ? And please specify what you mean by 'way more complex'.

People don't hunt purely for food. Even the ones that eat deer and geese. There are cheaper, more simpler ways than obtaining the geese and deer meat and better kinds of meat without purchasing a rifle and shooting the animals yourself. People who hunt are doing it because they enjoy the activity of hunting the animals, period. They want them to die. It's not purely for food.

At last.. something from you I can agree with.

what are the cheaper simpler ways to get food?

You buy a gun once. One bullet can take down a deer. You can butcher it in your garage. How much do you think that comes out to per lb vs a cow you buy piece my plastic wrapped piece in the store?

There are cheaper, more simpler ways than obtaining the geese and deer meat and better kinds of meat without purchasing a rifle and shooting the animals yourself.
And that doesn't seem just a little hypocritical to you? Keep your hands clean and let someone else do the killing.

Perhaps no adult should be allowed a licence to buy and consume meat until they have killed, gutted and butchered at least one by their own hand. So quit the moral high ground, you are deeper in the gutter than any bona fide hunter.

I think it's fun to step on ants. So what?

When I was young I used to hunt rabbits, groundhogs and birds with a pellet gun and bow & arrow. Once in a while I'd be successful. Brought a rabbit home and my father made me skin it, life takes on a different perspective after that. Still it didn't stop me until one day when I saw a small bird at the end of the driveway. I picked up a rock, threw it, and in a one in a million shot I nailed it right in the chest.

The bird then went into convulsions and starting spitting up what blood it had and mercifully died a few seconds later. Something came over me right then and I felt truly ashamed. I picked that little bird up and buried it in the woods close to home. I wish I could say I never killed anything again in my life but I have fileted many a fish, sprayed many a wasp, swatted flies and mosquitos and almost certainly have accidentally killed many an insect and microbes.

I no longer hunt but I do enjoy fishing. I am a catch & release angler and a conservationist these days. It took a while but that tiny bird's death at my hands has finally impacted me fully. I don't feel great deliberately taking a life of any kind. I have developed a deeper respect for what I consider the marvel of the universe we live in. Billions of years in the making, myself included, life is too special to be taken for granted.

But I have to eat. Sorry if your a plant I like. Too bad for the cow also. Steak, smothered in mushrooms and onions, well you get my drift. Killing is necessary to survive and I'll restrict myself to that although I prefer not to do the deed. I suppose I could if I really had to. Not my cup of tea anymore but I realize that someone has to do it..... I think we all do.

When I was young I used to hunt rabbits, groundhogs and birds with a pellet gun and bow & arrow. Once in a while I'd be successful. Brought a rabbit home and my father made me skin it, life takes on a different perspective after that. Still it didn't stop me until one day when I saw a small bird at the end of the driveway. I picked up a rock, threw it, and in a one in a million shot I nailed it right in the chest.

The bird then went into convulsions and starting spitting up what blood it had and mercifully died a few seconds later. Something came over me right then and I felt truly ashamed. I picked that little bird up and buried it in the woods close to home. I wish I could say I never killed anything again in my life but I have fileted many a fish, sprayed many a wasp, swatted flies and mosquitos and almost certainly have accidentally killed many an insect and microbes.

I no longer hunt but I do enjoy fishing. I am a catch & release angler and a conservationist these days. It took a while but that tiny bird's death at my hands has finally impacted me fully. I don't feel great deliberately taking a life of any kind. I have developed a deeper respect for what I consider the marvel of the universe we live in. Billions of years in the making, myself included, life is too special to be taken for granted.

But I have to eat. Sorry if your a plant I like. Too bad for the cow also. Steak, smothered in mushrooms and onions, well you get my drift. Killing is necessary to survive and I'll restrict myself to that although I prefer not to do the deed. I suppose I could if I really had to. Not my cup of tea anymore but I realize that someone has to do it..... I think we all do.

Good for you man :)

Yes, killing is necessary to survive. And if this killing is causing the natural world problems (and it does), shouldn't we do something to minimize our impact (like decreasing our population through birth restrictions) ?

I mercilessly kill microbes every day, without any emotions I decide the fate of millions of microbes...merciless killer.

Back