I Can't Say Gay!

Originally posted by Mystech
I should be allowed to marry because without people like you standing in my way I'd have the right by default :p

Eh, I think it's probably easier to allow gay marriage than it is to abolish all marriage besides people who have kids, though I think the latter is a more appropriate manner.

Oh, and why would you think that I'm standing in your way (unless you're just saying that because of my ridiculous plan to abolish marriage for the non-kid havers)?

Though I think that plan is right.. I can't see it ever happening.

Personally I give a shit who or what you marry. I believe the standard threatened straight argument is that you'll have people wanting to marry horses or rocks or something if you let gay people get married. From a legal perspective I think it's a decent point because you set a prescedent outside the standard institution that changes it in a manner that might allow legal arguments for bestial marriage, etc.

Hehe, hell man I'm almost amused by the thought of morons marrying rocks and whatnot, but honestly.. marriage is a personal thing to me. I think it should basically be ignored by the government unless you want to promote the propagation of the species somehow. *shrug*

Tiassa,

Who else would you walk up to at your work place and casually inform that they don't deserve their civil rights?

You so completely missed my point. Im all for gay rights. Okay? Yeah, that's fine. But if I say the opposite at work then I get in trouble.

But hey: stop a fag from talking about family issues, and people might have to take down their pictures of their kids. Do you really want your co-workers knowing it was your complaining that brought it about?

Nope. I never use those words. I also don't use the P word. I don't like them, period. I was raised differently then most of the people that I work with. I never complained either. This only became an issue for me when I was told that I was not allowed to express an opinion, unless, of course, it coincides with theirs.

Don't set out "to piss people off". Sorry, but that's a no-brainer.

You said it yourself: Just to piss people off ....

That seems to be the only way that I can get peoples attention.

With the exception of a "gay ol' time", which phrase is a slightly different consideration, the phrases cast the word "gay" negatively. This is why such expression is commonly forbidden in the workplace. As to a gay ol' time ... well, the old word is gone it seems. Languages change. Cultures change. Gays have become the niggers of society, so to speak, and woman is the nigger of the world according to John Lennon.

I know. I *never* use those words.

Really. I was just giving yall background information before I got to my main point. Which is/was: Why can't I debate politics that involve gays? Also, I can only wonder what would happen if I said I was all for affirmative action.

I think you're paranoid

Damn straight. Im American.

/CounslerCoffee

Re: Paranoid

Originally posted by tiassa
It would be just as inappropriate for the fag over there to point out that heterosexuals ought to be prohibited from being parents on the grounds that 100% of serial killers had parents who engaged in heterosexuality at some point.

Untill we start cloning serial killers, that is.

Originally posted by wesmorris
Oh, and why would you think that I'm standing in your way (unless you're just saying that because of my ridiculous plan to abolish marriage for the non-kid havers)?

Ok, not you spacificaly. I'm sorry I've been using pronouns really screwy like, setting up hypothetical situations without signaling and all that.

When I say me, I've kind of been refering to myself and any other person in my situation (a homosexual) and when I say you, I suppose it would have better for me to say they (being anyone who's got a problem with homosexuals having the same rights as everyone else [I'm not in favor of special rights for anyone]). Ug, anyway I'll try to chose my pronouns more carefuly, I was tired last night and ended up making my sentences sound really akward if I didn't keep it to you and me :p

I believe the standard threatened straight argument is that you'll have people wanting to marry horses or rocks or something if you let gay people get married. From a legal perspective I think it's a decent point because you set a prescedent outside the standard institution that changes it in a manner that might allow legal arguments for bestial marriage, etc.

If you can't draft a law which allows one consenting adult to person to marry another, yet still excludes a person from marrying a horse or a rock it's time to go back to English 101!

To Galt:
I am shocked that the champion of "property" rights is actually bitching about the owner deciding what HIS emplyers to talk about on HIS property.

On a serious note, I think using the word gay is Ok. However, picture these scenarios

Two friends(A and B) are talking about C

A: John was crying about his breakback with his girlfriend.
B: Man that is so fucking GAY.
A: Tell me about it, what a freaking FAGGOT.

A (to C): You were scared to jump of that bridge/ask that chick out?
B: Man that is so fucking GAY

etc
These conotation are offensive because they attribute certain behaviors, etc to homosexuals which are untrue.

Imagine hwo most would take this:
A: John was crying about his breakback with his girlfriend.
B: Man that is so fucking White.
A: Tell me about it, what a freaking paleface.

Counsler, and also a PS to others

You so completely missed my point. Im all for gay rights. Okay? Yeah, that's fine. But if I say the opposite at work then I get in trouble.
I may still be closer to your point than you know.

In what other ways are you allowed to be disruptive at work that you're not allowed to be when homosexuality is involved?
This only became an issue for me when I was told that I was not allowed to express an opinion, unless, of course, it coincides with theirs.
That's why I think you're paranoid. This is only the issue in your own mind. To others--e.g. supervisors--it's about disruption and legal liability.
That seems to be the only way that I can get peoples attention.
I agree, but the practical question boils down to, Is the workplace the best place to be getting these people's attention?

If you absolutely must piss your co-workers off, take it outside of work. Is Bob retiring, or did Jane get a new job? Is the after-hours send-off company-sponsored? No? Hey, you can tell those f--kers anything you want and they can't complain about it when they get to work in the morning.° Picking your battles also involves carefully choosing the battlefield.

But if you expect to walk into work and piss people off--that's more what any of the PC/workplace debate is about despite the angry rantings of those who feel suppressed because they're not allowed to tell their coworkers that they are unworthy of civil rights.

e.g. -

- Gay marriages should not be allowed. Right after Clinton folded and signed the DMA, the Republican Revolution turned around and started passing tax breaks for married homeowners. The difference for someone not allowed to get married reached as much as a quarter-million dollars to their disadvantage.
- I told her that I was merely stating an opinion and told her that it was my belief that homosexuality is wrong and immoral. Consider management's position: Could you afford to fire and re-hire your staff every time they came to blows? Can you afford to be sued all the time for every slander issued by employees who are free to pursue their bigotries instead of working for their money? Can you permit the sort of disruption that comes from one employee proclaiming another morally wrong for no particularly good reason?
- Just to piss off the people around me I through in a bunch of Jesus crap. It's the pissing people off, in the end, that's more important than Jesus or buggery.

I guarantee you that if you start talking about how evil heterosexuals are, and how they shouldn't be allowed to get married or have children because (provide stat related to life here), you'd run into the same problem. Try it. Go to work tomorrow and start talking about the immoral heteros with all their sick fetishes, and how all serial killers' parents at least delved into heterosexuality, or raise the litany of bad movies in which a man destroys himself and his world for a woman. Openly treat heterosexuality as badly as you claim to have treated homosexuality and you'll find the experimental result similar, and perhaps more severe for it being a repeat offense.
Which is/was: Why can't I debate politics that involve gays? Also, I can only wonder what would happen if I said I was all for affirmative action.
It's not the debate itself. It's the fact that your attitude is exclusionary. Like I said, go in and treat heterosexuals as poorly as you've regarded homosexuals in this. Treat heterosexuality as a crime against nature (after all, every child abused by a parent has parents who delved in heterosexuality at least once, though this statistic may someday change°). Pile all of the shit that gays have had to endure from the self-righteous heterosexual community over the years onto heterosexuals while at work and see what happens.

Oh, and it depends when it comes to affirmative action. Discussing the abstract, "AffAct may prevent qualified people from finding employment" is a far cry from, "The blacks don't deserve civil rights." It's not always what you say, but how you say it.
Damn straight. Im American.
Then you know the motto: Say it with a smile.

I think there's also a point that you're missing, Counsler: Do you support racial discrimination in the workplace? Do you support gender discrimination in the workplace?

Why support discrimination against a person based not on the gender of the person, but on the gender of someone else entirely?

Politics are always a sticky workplace issue because politics often involve such undignified talk as endorsing discrimination and so forth. And homosexuality, at the practical core, is not the actual issue with workplace speech. No matter how badly that is expressed to you by your supervisor, the simple fact is that you are describing exclusionary and divisive behavior on your part that I wouldn't tolerate in a workplace regardless of whether homosexuality, religion, ethnicity, or bloody ice cream flavors was the topic. It's not just about gays, Counsler, but discrimination in general. And when you tread into the realm of discrimination in general, you're going to meet resistance in the workplace.

Take a general comparison: To me it's a discrimination issue; you, however, seem° to be discriminating between forms of discrimination.

I know, I know, it's not wholly accurate, but there's a functional truth to be asserted there.

Notes:

° can't complain about it when they get to work in the morning - I'm thinking here of your other continuing co-workers who are present; obviously, the retired or otherwise-departing employee isn't coming in to work the next morning.

° delved into heterosexuality at least once ... statistic may someday change: Thank you, Mystech. I was thinking more along the lines of IVF, but the point is well-taken.

° seem - An important word in that sentence. Please do not underestimate it. I'm not you, Counsler, so I don't know what you're actually up to, but seem is meant to imply a tentative assertion based on the observable, not a statement of fact.

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

P.S. to Mystech and Wesmorris - I'm actually mildly amused watching your minor misunderstandings. As nonconformist as I claim to be, I have a few rules that I like to assert about communication, and I think you've both probably received doses of that medicine before ... but in a strange way I'm happy to see that there is an intellectual level present that has the luxury of considering the minor bases of misunderstanding; such subtlety seems to be lacking around here lately. Perhaps this seems a small issue, and a condescending one at that, so I apologize for the latter but reassert that the luxury of small issues is a welcome moment. (Wasn't somebody arguing the other day about when to use a separator in numbers? Pronoun confusion, on the other hand, has substantial implications for immediate communication.) At any rate, I'll shut up and smoke more ....

If you can't draft a law which allows one consenting adult to person to marry another, yet still excludes a person from marrying a horse or a rock it's time to go back to English 101!

True, but I was talking about precedent. It would straightforward to draft a law allowing whatever specific types of marriage you'd like, the problem becomes that it opens the door for potentially undesirable arguments to follow. *shrug*

The more I think about it the more I think government shouldn't recognize ANY marriages. It's simply not their business. Maybe though still the ones with kids. I think so anyway. Kids change the equation significantly and they are the future blah blah, so maybe recognizing marriages with kids is good. Yeah.

Eh, what do I know.

So nobody liked the idea of just insulting everyone until everyone realizes how stupid it is to be insulted by insults? Damn, I thought we were on the virge of a revolution you bunch of faggy cockbite cracker nigger assbandit dyke fucking slut ass bitches!

LOL

Come on damnit!

True, but I was talking about precedent. It would straightforward to draft a law allowing whatever specific types of marriage you'd like, the problem becomes that it opens the door for potentially undesirable arguments to follow. *shrug*

I’m not the type to sacrifice principal for expedience.

I’m not the type to sacrifice principal for expedience.

:rolleyes:

Okay, then you agree with my idea of the government not recognizing ANY marriage right? I mean really, what business is it of theirs? You shouldn't get more money or be treated differently because of how you feel about someone else right?

:rolleyes:

Okay, then you agree with my idea of the government not recognizing ANY marriage right? I mean really, what business is it of theirs? You shouldn't get more money or be treated differently because of how you feel about someone else right?

As I see it you have good grounds to argue the tax break (look at my "should anyone be allowd to marry" thread if you want to argue more about that), but no, I do believe that government recognized marriage is a good thing. There are legal and private considerations to be taken into account in which a legaly sanctioned married status makes a lot of sence, If you want to go into that more then maybe we can argue it somewhere which it is a bit more on topic.

Tiassa,

Thank you for that well informed commentary. Let me get some things out of the way. I think that your thinking that Im a bigot of some sorts. Im not. Let's run through some stuff:

1. I support gay marriages.
2. I support gay rights.
3. I have gay friends.
4. I support all equal rights and all equal opportunity rights.
5. I do not discriminate against anyone. And if I do it's probably because that person has pissed me off in some way.

There, got that out of the way. I just think that your thinking that Im an actual gay hater person.

In what other ways are you allowed to be disruptive at work that you're not allowed to be when homosexuality is involved?

I wasn't as disruptive as you would think I was. I was around a bunch of friends and thought it best to get my opinion out in the open through sarcasm and stupidity. The chances of someone hearing you yell "Hey you damn queer!" where I work, is very unlikely. I work in a factory setting. So chances are someone will only be offended if they're standing right next to you and actually hear you.

That's why I think you're paranoid. This is only the issue in your own mind. To others--e.g. supervisors--it's about disruption and legal liability.

Yeah, it is. But Im still wondering why gay people can debate gay politics but I can't. If I got into a conversation with them, then I can't do that. So basically don't talk to the gay people. Even though they're a wacky bunch.

I agree, but the practical question boils down to, Is the workplace the best place to be getting these people's attention?
My workplace is like a big school. Were all 18-20 in other words. We all work there to pay for college and pay rent, ect. I agree that it may not be the best place to get people's attention, but when you take into account that I go to school with 50% of the people that I work with, it becomes a problem. We all end up hanging out at the same parties, or the same club's, or bars. So what's to stop a gay coworker from getting offended and taking it to work?

Gay Guy: Hey, Coffee offended me.
Supervisor: When?
Gay Guy: Here just now. (All along he's thinking of the time at the club where he heard me call him a pole smoker, even though I would never say such a thing)

So really there is no right or wrong place. Considering that most of these people end up in the same place with me. I can't be PC all the time, but I can try.

Could you afford to fire and re-hire your staff every time they came to blows?

I don't see this happening. Like I said, we work in a factory setting. Im also union. If I loose my job for any reason (Except for fighting, harassment, or stealing) then I get rehired on the spot and moved to a different location. Also, we are very replaceable. You wouldn't be the amount of replacibility at UPS.

Oh, and it depends when it comes to affirmative action. Discussing the abstract, "AffAct may prevent qualified people from finding employment" is a far cry from, "The blacks don't deserve civil rights." It's not always what you say, but how you say it.

Agreed.

I think there's also a point that you're missing, Counsler: Do you support racial discrimination in the workplace? Do you support gender discrimination in the workplace?

No, no, no, and no. Read above.

seem - An important word in that sentence. Please do not underestimate it. I'm not you, Counsler, so I don't know what you're actually up to, but seem is meant to imply a tentative assertion based on the observable, not a statement of fact.
Did I even say that? It doesn't sound like something I would say.

/CounslerCoffee

P.S. Did you think that I was actualy against gays in general, Tiassa?

Counsler

1. I support gay marriages.
2. I support gay rights.
3. I have gay friends.
4. I support all equal rights and all equal opportunity rights.
5. I do not discriminate against anyone. And if I do it's probably because that person has pissed me off in some way.
I tend think I was on the page with you insofar as you're not actually a hater. But maybe I didn't leave that apparent.

However ....
I wasn't as disruptive as you would think I was
In form I don't doubt that for a moment. But what I'm getting after is the kind of disruption that comes from negativity; it's not, despite inadequate expressions (do we expect anything better--realistically--from American commerce and industry?) about gays per se. It may seem like that because of the unnecessary attention gay issues have gotten for the last 13 years or so (I'm starting with the Oregon 1990 election cycle, which inspired the 1992 Colorado Amendment proposal, and things went downhill from there). But that's why I say to go to work and try the same kind of talk with heterosexual issues; the result will be at least the same.
But Im still wondering why gay people can debate gay politics but I can't. If I got into a conversation with them, then I can't do that.
Well, I'm not about to suggest a lack of creativity because I admit it's tough to pull off, but the essential point has to do with divisive rhetoric. It's not the politics in and of themselves, but that one side of it is condemning. The heterosexual experiment, unfortunately, might get you fired, though.
So basically don't talk to the gay people. Even though they're a wacky bunch.
And if I don't suggest a lack of creativity here, it's only because I don't know what makes up the talk. If someone showed up at my workplace and talked about security at Neighbors throwing the hetero chick out for getting topless, well, sexual orientations aside, that's generally inappropriate talk for the workplace. But if he comes in and talks about going dancing with his boyfriend, it is possible to be critical: "Did Joey wear the white leisure suit again? I keep telling him he looks terrible in white polyester ...."

Think of the question, "Why do criminals have rights?" In my day, this question was misdirected; the real question was, "Why do suspects have rights?" Well, nobody really cared until a couple of cops beat the crap out of an innocent Hispanic man apparently for the convenience of it; hence the Miranda Act, which has set many a hideous criminal free. If the cops hadn't transgressed, the situation wouldn't look like it does; if the cops had done their jobs, the situation wouldn't look like this.

Likewise, "Why do gays have more rights?" is a misdirected notion. People are marking gains without considering the starting points. It's like an honest homophobe walking up to a gay and asking him questions; for the gay it's a strange experience because when you're used to people being arrested, beaten to death, and called subhuman for being like you, it tends to wear on your patience.
So what's to stop a gay coworker from getting offended and taking it to work?
Well, I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but a false claim like that would have brought fire and brimstone to the claimant where I last worked.

So in the theoretic, is there just a misunderstanding in the colloquial? Is he merely hallucinating that you said it at all? There are factors to consider, for no policy works as a blanket. But if you think he misunderstood well-intended humor, it's your fence to mend. If he's hallucinating entirely, tear him apart for being a liar, not for being gay.
So really there is no right or wrong place.
I'll look back to the faults of situational assessments drawn while angry, frustrated, or otherwise upset. I know heterosexuals who are similarly sinister; in fact, I know more of them and at a greater proportion than I do homosexuals who are like that. What I hope to point out with that, actually, is that it might be a human thing merely manifesting itself around gay issues.
I can't be PC all the time, but I can try.
As hokey as it sounds, don't think of it as PC; think of it as respect. Would you look at a picture of your grandmother on her wedding day and tell her to her face that you would have f--ked her if you'd known her then? Would you call her a c--ksucking whore for any reason? It's merely a convention of respect that you conduct yourself around certain people differently than you do others; of course, that's the noble interpretation.

I can think of two people for whom I used to stem my anti-military invective. One was an old Navy fart who could and would have me fired; the other was a reasonably nice guy and I had no complaints with him. Why would I want to bug him with my villainization of the military? Do you know how hard it was to not tell people I worked with that I could not actively support the troops in Afghanistan because they were volunteers tromping off on a distasteful and ill-founded war? It's a hard position to explain that while you would hope they come home safe you don't think they should be there in the first place.

But a number of considerations struck me:

- Is my invective the most effective route?
- Do these people warrant my invective?
- Is there anything I'm forgetting before I open my mouth?

And, sure, I'm respecting people's stupidity to a certain degree, but it's part of a respectful give-and-take that, when performed honestly, makes society's wheels turn. In the end, it comes down to what's important to me: Should I stake (something) merely to annoy these people while not actually affecting the situation?

It's a losing proposition. And the best way to avoid losing a fight is not to pick one.
I don't see this happening
Yet what happens if the company decides to actually apply its policy firmly and handle the transgressors? Exactly that. It won't happen because companies have enough common sense to bend unless they see potential for greater harm than permissiveness would invite.

And yes ... they would be dismissed for harassment.
No, no, no, and no. Read above.
Context: rhetorical propositions. Apparently I should have put the juxtaposition in the same paragraph.
Did I even say that? It doesn't sound like something I would say.
Pre-emptive strike in defense of relevance. Perhaps I've been spending too much time in the War Room listening to the Pekes and the Pollicles.

The more important point is that you seem to be discriminating between discriminations.
Did you think that I was actualy against gays in general, Tiassa?
I pretty much tend to think I was on the page with you insofar as that was concerned. I would hope my habit indicates that I'm more profane and less patient when I actually believe myself in the presence of a genuine raving homophobe.

:m:,
Tiassa :cool:

Tiassa,

I just didn't want to appear as an insane homophobe with no life. Im actually a sane homophobe with a life.;)

do we expect anything better--realistically--from American commerce and industry?

Nope. Hey, look, Enron stock is for sale on Ebay.

But that's why I say to go to work and try the same kind of talk with heterosexual issues; the result will be at least the same.

Exactly. Except the hetro issues might actually get me killed. Most people in Kentucky don't exactly accept gays. That's why they live downtown. Strength in numbers, ya know?

Likewise, "Why do gays have more rights?" is a misdirected notion.

Gays actually don't have more rights. They have less. They have more cards to play though.

Well, I don't know how it is in your neck of the woods, but a false claim like that would have brought fire and brimstone to the claimant where I last worked.

Well, let's pretend for a moment that this is true. The company would more then likely not take the chance to not act. I would still loose my job, and the gay guy probably would to. Or would he?

As hokey as it sounds, don't think of it as PC; think of it as respect.

I agree. I try to respect people at all times, normally Im a joking person, fun loving guy. I crack a lot of jokes at my workstation. Normally the stupid things that I say, or do, involve various sexual acts that could be performed. Why just today I said that I need to have sex with three women at the same time because... Well, it's fun.

If my jokes on occasion offend people (at which point they do, sometimes) then I immediately apologize. I cannot change the way that I am because someone finds it terribly UN-PC.

/CounslerCoffee

Back