How we know God exists

I once was a computer programmer, but my education was civil engineer. It was obvious then, the method for physics-based engineering could not all match when playing with logic; several things logically exists, could not always be represented by physical representatives. Thus they could not interact physically.

A and B affectible each other when both exist physically, could trigger a collision.
Your dream can effect your penis to make fountain in your pants, not vice versa.

LiveInFaith said:
I once was a computer programmer, but my education was civil engineer. It was obvious then, the method for physics-based engineering could not all match when playing with logic; several things logically exists, could not always be represented by physical representatives. Thus they could not interact physically.

A and B affectible each other when both exist physically, could trigger a collision.
Your dream can effect your penis to make fountain in your pants, not vice versa.
why do you think not.
so what your saying, is your out with you girl shes necking with you, all night and she wont go to third base you go to bed and have a wet dream what caused the dream was it, the night with your girl, and your frustrated penis or did you just dream of sex without any provocation.

the preacher said:
why do you think not.
so what your saying, is your out with you girl shes necking with you, all night and she wont go to third base you go to bed and have a wet dream what caused the dream was it, the night with your girl, and your frustrated penis or did you just dream of sex without any provocation.

I did have dream without any previous provocation. Just happened that way.
And in many cases I had provocation without real action happened, the dream didn't come.

baumgarten said:
No, the computer program is the means by which A affects B. Neither A nor B are "aware" that there is either a CPU or a program; both are abstracted from the memory space, which is for our purposes the point of input and output. By your logic, I do not type this message, but my keyboard/BIOS/operating system/web browser/PHP script/database does. While it may be true that my keyboard affects the data sent to Sciforums as much as I do, I alone initiate the change that leads to the posting of this message. In the same fashion, the manipulation of A from 0 to 1 is what changes the program's output. Our program cannot change this by itself.
I am not talking about cause and effect - in which one item affects another but not the reverese - I am talking about the interaction between A and B - and if A affects B then B affects A. There must be direct interaction in your examples or else we are not talking of the same thing.

Yes, I could start a chain and say A affects B, which affects C, which affects D - and come to the conclusion that A has affected Z - all through cause and effect (which yes, does require the passage of time).

But this is not the same as saying A interacts with Z.

Whatever chain of cause/effect you care to pick there will be action/reaction between each link - and if you don't see it then you need to look at the smaller links.

You are limiting your world in the scope of newton's 3rd law of mechanics, while this universe only applying that law in few parts of it. Start localizing all prerequisites set where the law could be applied, you would see many examples beyond that set,those of one way interaction.

Your eyes interact with everything before them, yet your eyes can do nothing to give effect to those source of shadows fall behind your cornea.

Your eyes interact with everything before them,
Your eyes are receptors, not emitters. Therefore why should they have an effect on anything? The action is the photon hitting the rods and cones in the eye, the reaction is the transmission of impulses to the brain (simply put).

LiveInFaith said:
I did have dream without any previous provocation. Just happened that way.
And in many cases I had provocation without real action happened, the dream didn't come.
you dream every night of you life, it's just you dont always remember them, the reason we all dream, is due to, the excesses of the day, all dreams have some kind of provocation, if we did not dream we'd go mad.

Oli said:
Your eyes are receptors, not emitters. Therefore why should they have an effect on anything? The action is the photon hitting the rods and cones in the eye, the reaction is the transmission of impulses to the brain (simply put).

exactly, those are one way processes. not vice versa.

LiveInFaith said:
You are limiting your world in the scope of newton's 3rd law of mechanics, while this universe only applying that law in few parts of it. Start localizing all prerequisites set where the law could be applied, you would see many examples beyond that set,those of one way interaction.

Your eyes interact with everything before them, yet your eyes can do nothing to give effect to those source of shadows fall behind your cornea.
Your eyes do NOT "interact with everything before them".
Your retina reacts with the visible-spectrum EM waves that objects throw off.
The photons hit the retina and lose momentum - action / reaction.
Your retina gains momentum - and the impact also sparks a biological reaction that the brain interprets as part of the "vision".

Your examples are fallacious in that you can choose any 2 objects that appear to interact in only one direction - and yet you conveniently overlook the chain of interaction that leads to your conclusion.
Look more closely and you will see an action/reaction relationship.

If you can, please give me an example of two things that actually INTERACT in only one direction - not through a chain of other interactions - but two things that directly interact - or where one thing directly acts on another with no reaction the other way.

i believe everything happens for a reason, so if I lose a game and this something happens because of that, i believed it was meant to happen, but if you call that bad luck, then yes i do. if luck just means something good or bad happens randomly, then no.

baum,

But when you "read" activity in the brain, you are not experiencing that person's thoughts. The experience itself is relegated to an immaterial plane. "Mind over matter" is a common phrase; what it really says is that these immaterial experiences are the hierarchical parent, or the "cause," in a way, of the brain activity. In Roman Catholic cosmology, the spiritual realm is transcendent, i.e. it is beyond all other realms but still encompasses and permeates them. So a spiritual phenomenon could affect physical reality, but not vice-versa.
LOL - gibberish. The mind is not immaterial it is the label we give to the result of physical neural network activity

Sarkus said:
The photons hit the retina and lose momentum - action / reaction.

Ok, I can accept that.
We are talking in the scope where physical collision takes place. Up to photonic level, explanation will be logically accepted.

Quantum physics is one subject I hardly can comprehend; have never been able to consider they are true but I have to live with it. It’s a belief for me; for it is commonly used as acceptable knowledge among scientists who “agreed upon” them. There is no way I cannot accept it; by these preconditions : (1*) accepted as a complete set of logical explanation; (2*) one can not provide better alternative explanation.

But accepting it as a truth still reserves some skeptical thought.

At photonic level, effects can be explained, but not sensible, the real physical interactions never been presented sensiblically for us to sense them. They are sets of logically constituted explanation, which then constitutes our perception.

Belief is a prerequisite to comprehend the whole theory. Once passed the belief phase, then it is relatively smoother to comprehend the knowledge, because one then able to constitute a complete set of inclusive logic. Skeptically speaking, it could be explained in other way, once the prerequisites in which we now are believing, invented differently.

That explains the mythology, which human believed that Poseidon who waved tsunami in the ocean, etc. In search of explanation (knowledge), human constituted set of logic they could accept, then respectively responded to that knowledge in daily lives. It was reasonable then, when they constituted this logic at their time : lightning comes from Zeus; inspite of making Zeus angry, their action was to persuade Zeus so the lightning didn’t ruin their properties. Since two preconditions applied (see point (1*) and (2*) above), they had to live with it. It was obvious then, later inventions showed that the prerequisites of the logic sets were not valid. The logic should be abandoned. At our era of technological advance, we now call them deitiest, fairiest, etc.

Now let’s get back to the triggering point where this action reaction issue started. Spiritual experience. Evidence of existence.

I know, this doesn’t provide any evidence to the existence of spiritual experience. But then again, back to the old song, perception comes from certain set of logic, which besides all evidence provided, prerequisitedly constituted by certain beliefs (at which we have not yet able to provide sensible evidence), which then make the set of logic become completely inclusive, at our time.

My point, a complete set of inclusive logic, still requires certain beliefs for the lack of sensible evidence.

If we believe in the extrapolating universe, at some point maybe all the beliefs will be proven (or disproven) by evidence, and no one knows if evidence will be coming before or after doomsday, or judgement day. Ooopps.. what the hell are those days :rolleyes: Some live with the beliefs, some don’t, some just skeptical.

We never know God exists or not, only our belief/disbelief/skeptical thought tells us about It. In addition to belief, different sets of logic could be constituted for different persons for their own satisfied explanation, but of course, will always be lacking of sensible evidence. Then it could not be decided which ones are having logical fallacies. As for now, spiritual experience could not be presented as sensible evidence.

LiveInFaith said:
Belief is a prerequisite to comprehend the whole theory.
This is I think where we differ...

There is no belief required to comprehend a theory.
There is the acceptance of assumption.
And that acceptance should continue as long as the theory holds.
When the theory no longer holds we should look for new theories to explain it.

A belief, any belief without evidence, is merely a smoothing over of gaps in understanding.
Where one chooses to insert a belief, another person is happy to say "I don't know."

Using this metaphor, a belief in God is just another layer of Polyfila that smooths over cracks - albeit sizeable ones - in our understanding of our selves.

LiveInFaith said:
My point, a complete set of inclusive logic, still requires certain beliefs for the lack of sensible evidence.
See comment above - it merely requires acceptance of assumptions - not belief.
We don't KNOW that the logic or the Laws of Physics that hold in one part of our Universe holds elsewhere/everywhere - but we haven't as yet come across any evidence to the contrary.

And so I return to the flaw in Lawdog's opening post - the supposed interaction between the immaterial (e.g. the spirit) and the material (e.g. us), and the lack of evidence, and more importantly - the lack of a hypothetical mechanism - to allow such to happen.

:)

Cris said:
baum,

LOL - gibberish. The mind is not immaterial it is the label we give to the result of physical neural network activity
This is a belief based on your initial assumptions. If you are a materialist, you are bound to believe that consciousness is just an emergent property of the physical brain. However, you could just as rationally argue as an 'idealist' that the only thing that exists is our mind, and that the apparent universe is just a product of that mind.

There are a number of problems with the materialist belief, not least the "irreducibility" of consciousness: How can the ontologicaly objective become ontologically subjective? There seems to be an unbridgable chasm between objective phenomena (e.g. brain events) and the nature of our qualitative experiences of them. Also, as discussed peviously, the problem of agency. Hence consciousness has been labelled "the hard problem".

I believe that consciousness is a fundamental thing, not reducible to objective physical phenomena. Something to think on would be:

1) Does a universe exist if no-one will ever be aware of it?
2) Does consciousness exist if there is nothing to be conscious of?

In this way, I believe the two are inextricably linked, as part of the same dialectic. Neither can be said to exist without the other, nor explained in terms of the other.

Last edited:
There is then maybe the problem lies. The incapability of constituting assumption (to be generally accepted), and hypothetical mechanism to explain those spiritual events / symptoms.

I saw things happened, several times : people act not within their characters (sounds, behaviour, capabilities, memory). They became someone else, don't know their relatives/friends, have extraordinary power to do things unthinkable for normal people to do. Bicameral mind cannot explain how suddenly they could peel a coconut by teeth without any hurt, and broke several hard materials easily as if they had been trained kungfu for ten year.

"Something" act upon them, and they cannot do anything to be directly dealing with this acting thing. And they cannot control themselves up to photonic level.

LiveInFaith said:
I saw things happened, several times : people act not within their characters (sounds, behaviour, capabilities, memory). They became someone else, don't know their relatives/friends, have extraordinary power to do things unthinkable for normal people to do. Bicameral mind cannot explain how suddenly they could peel a coconut by teeth without any hurt, and broke several hard materials easily as if they had been trained kungfu for ten year.

"Something" act upon them, and they cannot do anything to be directly dealing with this acting thing. And they cannot control themselves up to photonic level.
With any example the question of "how" must of course be answered. And in some respects current investigative techniques and equipment aren't up to the task.
But an unanswered question is not evidence of anything other than merely the inability to answer it.

Diogenes' Dog said:
This is a belief based on your initial assumptions. If you are a materialist, you are bound to believe that consciousness is just an emergent property of the physical brain. However, you could just as rationally argue as an 'idealist' that the only thing that exists is our mind, and that the apparent universe is just a product of that mind.
It is not a belief but the assumption / theory that has yet to be disproved through contrary evidence.

Diogenes' Dog said:
How can the ontologicaly objective become ontologically subjective?
In English, if you please? :D

Diogenes' Dog said:
There seems to be an unbridgable chasm between objective phenomena (e.g. brain events) and the nature of our qualitative experiences of them.
No there isn't - there is just a current lack of understanding of the processes. The unique nature of the qualitative experience is due to the uniqueness of every brain.

Diogenes' Dog said:
1) Does a universe exist if no-one will ever be aware of it?
2) Does consciousness exist if there is nothing to be conscious of?
1) Yes - and current evidence indicates that there was a universe a long time prior to the arrival of any life whatsoever.
2) Consciousness, the way I see it, requires some form of sensory input. If there is absolutely no input (either from internal or external sources), there is no consciousness, just instinct.
(It's not something I've ever thought of before, so please excuse me if my thoughts on this change over the course of any discussion.)
:)

Back