How (in)valid are arguments "based on worst example"?

strawman much? :confused:

Firstly, let me backtrack and ask once again.
If you taught 1000 White children that all Black children were inferior. That Black children were in some manner irredeemably corrupted. That, at times, White people had to kill Black people, in defense of their Good, Godly and Perfect White race.

Would you be surprised if a many of those White people had a negative view of Black people?
Would you be surprised if a few of those White people found a God Damn good excuse to harm Black people?
No I wouldn't be surprised

While this is an example straight out of our recent History, is it all just too much to think about? It just isn't crystal clear enough?

Secondly, (and another real-world example, only even more recent) in Indonesia (actual the world over), Muslims are taught two intolerant religious-memes: (1) that the Qur'an is Perfect and (2)that Mohammad was the Last Prophet.

This isn't an extreme example LG. We're talking about MOST Muslims in Indonesia. Just like most Americans 50 years ago were bigots. Back when the race meme wasn't being challenged.

Is it clear enough for you to see that the two religious memes noted above are directly related to the intolerant and violent attitude of main-stream Indonesian Muslims directed against the peaceful Ahmadiyya Muslims? Both people are Indonesian Citizens. They live side by side. All other things being equal, if it weren't for these two intolerant Islamic memes (fundamental to the beliefs of most Muslims) there'd probably be no problem at all between them. None at all. All of this violence is directly related to these fundamental Islamic memes.

Tell me LG, why do you think these thousands of Indonesian Muslim protesters turned out to burn an Indonesian Ahmadiyya mosque to the ground?

Any ideas?
not sure what all this has to do with your party line on monotheism ... I mean you are not trying to present a valid argument based on the worst example of it, are you? (i mean there are some pretty nasty examples of guys with mustaches too)

Again, the actions are a reflection of the memes. Just like the race memes of the 1900s. These memes are like mental plagues and sure it'll take vigilance for generations to wipe them out completely. Just like WASP racism. Which, by the way, you'd have probably thought was a perfectly respectable view of the world order 150 years ago.
If you take anything that has some sort of caliber as a cultural/community identifier, you have the potential for it to either disrupt or unite people. For instance you could compare the origins of the olympic games with say the out of control football violence of the UK in the 70's
:shrug:

If you want to eliminate the institutions that have any sort of trace of disruption in their history, you will simply destroy the social fabric of society

The ONLY reason you think it's a "worst case example" is because people like me taught you to think so :)
It just occurred to me that you have completely misinterpreted the use of the word "worst" in this thread.

The idea is not that they are the worst examples in the sense that they are the meanest and nastiest. They are the worst in the sense that they grossly inaccurate if taken as representative of the category. Like for instance calling upon a politicized religious aspect of islam as sufficient to be representative of monotheism ... or taking hitler, stalin and some weirdo with a mustache, gun and mickey mouse ears to be representative of persons who have mustaches.

The problem, as I see it, with Christianity is that an outsider is by definition disqualified from proper understanding of Christianity:
"If you do not have the Holy Spirit with you (ie. if you're not baptized) you cannot properly understand the Bible (and you might as well not read it at all)."
so philosophically speaking, you are defining a christian as someone who has performed a ritual
In other words, an outsider is faced with a cultist / mystical requirement, which, for all practical intents and purposes, cannot be fulfilled.
nevertheless one can still place such practices in a philosophical framework (such as jnana, karma or bhakti for example)

How do you address the possibility that what you (your religion) think and believe about God is completely wrong?
I guess the same way that one would address the possibility that one is completely wrong about anything ... namely to the degree that it is practically possible or pertinent to one's sense of self and action in the world.
For instance one may prepare for the possibility that they are wrong about the weather by bringing a coat ... they would be less likely top do that in summer ... and they would be even more less likely to make clothing arrangements in preparation for the possibility that they are mistaken about their gender.

IOW its the nature of specialization or having passed certain epistemological hurdles that addressing the possibility for error becomes more fine tuned

What if God indeed is that moloch, the petty tyrant as presented by mainstream Christianity?

What if it indeed is justice and love for God to torture His children in hell for all eternity?
Then you have a god that can't even come a standard of normal human behavior for a start.

How can such - albeit to our common sense, absurd, but no less popular - notions be dismissed with any certainty?
If you want to accept that god is greater than one's self, and not merely in the sense of having stuff (ie not just in terms of opulence, but also intelligence, empathy, etc) then it doesn't really pay to take such views too seriously

One argument that Christians give is that the above is a mundane, human view of culture.
actually my experience with christians is quite the opposite. IOW if someone is acting in an ungentlemanly manner, they will describe their actions as "unchristian". IOW there is a primary focus on being cultured and good.

Do you think that even an outsider can come to such a clear idea?
If you have a clear idea of what it is, placing a value next to it is not difficult. For instance if we have a clear idea of what a glass of water is, we can assign a value to it in lieu of its purpose (and thus designate it as good or bad or somewhere in between)

all hypothetical. give me a concrete example of wher you think this may be occuring and I shall respond.
I don't see people being challenged by church authorities when they assert that if they do not accept Jesus as their savior they will go to hell. I don't know if the Vatican has challenged this, perhaps they have. But, for example, the American Bible belt does not seem to meet much challenge on this kind of thinking.

so philosophically speaking, you are defining a christian as someone who has performed a ritual

No, a Christian is someone who has the Holy Spirit. Although Christian traditions differ in the definition of what exactly baptism is.
Often though, it appears the general understanding is that in the process of baptism, a person receives the Holy Spirit, which then enables them to understand the Bible (and everything else) properly. As such, baptism is considered to provide an instantaneous and enormous qualification - a qualification that is impossible to obtain by study, prayer, meditation, penance, sacrifice or any other activity.

The best comparison I can think of is that of receiving a college degree and obtaining all the necessary knowledge and skills from one moment to the next - without ever going to college.

In other words, an outsider is faced with a cultist / mystical requirement, which, for all practical intents and purposes, cannot be fulfilled.

nevertheless one can still place such practices in a philosophical framework (such as jnana, karma or bhakti for example)

Perhaps if one apriori values them more than the magic (!) of baptism.

I guess the same way that one would address the possibility that one is completely wrong about anything ... namely to the degree that it is practically possible or pertinent to one's sense of self and action in the world.
For instance one may prepare for the possibility that they are wrong about the weather by bringing a coat ... they would be less likely top do that in summer ... and they would be even more less likely to make clothing arrangements in preparation for the possibility that they are mistaken about their gender.

IOW its the nature of specialization or having passed certain epistemological hurdles that addressing the possibility for error becomes more fine tuned

Still, it seems it comes down to your own trust that you are not (fully) insane, nor that God is insane, and that God means well with you, forever and ever (and this not in the sense of "The best that could happen to Jews is that the Nazis killed them, the Jews should realize this and be thankful").

What if God indeed is that moloch, the petty tyrant as presented by mainstream Christianity?

What if it indeed is justice and love for God to torture His children in hell for all eternity?

Then you have a god that can't even come a standard of normal human behavior for a start.

Yes, I have heard this many times. And many times, Christians will reply that this is merely human reasoning.

You seem to have an immense trust (or at least you present your arguments that way) that what is common sense to you, it also common sense in God's eyes and that God actually approves of your common sense.

How can such - albeit to our common sense, absurd, but no less popular - notions be dismissed with any certainty?

If you want to accept that god is greater than one's self, and not merely in the sense of having stuff (ie not just in terms of opulence, but also intelligence, empathy, etc) then it doesn't really pay to take such views too seriously

But for that, one first needs to have unflinching trust in one's own sense of morality, intelligence and so on.

I don't have that.

Ever since I can remember, people have been beating it into my head that my sense of morality is wrong, low, inferior.

actually my experience with christians is quite the opposite. IOW if someone is acting in an ungentlemanly manner, they will describe their actions as "unchristian". IOW there is a primary focus on being cultured and good.

I have a different experience of Christianity, though.

If you have a clear idea of what it is, placing a value next to it is not difficult.

In my mind, that doesn't follow. I'm not saying that what you're saying is wrong, just that I don't see the connection.

I don't see people being challenged by church authorities when they assert that if they do not accept Jesus as their savior they will go to hell. I don't know if the Vatican has challenged this, perhaps they have.

But, for example, the American Bible belt does not seem to meet much challenge on this kind of thinking.

I wonder why not.

because you wouldn't expect a sense of inferiority and corruption based on race to warrant a level playing field for racial issues

now what?
Would you say that polytheists can be equal with monotheists in terms of religious dogma? Is that possible?

Would you say that polytheists can be equal with monotheists in terms of religious dogma? Is that possible?
Not sure if I understand your question (equal in what?) but actually I wouldn't even say that monotheists can be equal in terms of religious dogma

Lightgigantic -

I am afraid I am not getting through to you.

There seems to be a certainty that you have that you are not aware of, or take as a given (for everyone) - or at least you present your arguments in a way that suggests that.

Just like many Christians and other people speak in a manner as if there existed no epistemological problems, you do similarly, except that you do it for different contents.

I am not sure what I am missing here. Doreen understands my problem, but I don't find their solution viable for myself.

If you don't want to discuss this, it is allright. I would prefer to know, though, thank you.

Lightgigantic -

There seems to be a certainty that you have that you are not aware of, or take as a given (for everyone) - or at least you present your arguments in a way that suggests that.

Just like many Christians and other people speak in a manner as if there existed no epistemological problems, you do similarly, except that you do it for different contents.

I am not sure what I am missing here. Doreen understands my problem, but I don't find their solution viable for myself.

If you don't want to discuss this, it is allright. I would prefer to know, though, thank you.
I am not sure what you are talking about here specifically

I am not sure what you are talking about here specifically

I addressed it in my reply to you earlier, in post 44.
It is what I have been getting at for months, from numerous perspectives.

It is as if you do not see the quandary that someone is put in by the mainstream Christian position. That position is basically one that could be considered absurd - it says, in effect:
"You must get it right in this life time or suffer forever, and this is just and loving. That there are so many competing Christian traditions is your problem and yours to resolve, on your own. But we, the Christians, know that we are right about God and are sure to go to heaven. We have arrived at this surety on our own, without the help of philosophy. If you do not come to the conclusion that Jesus is your Lord and Savior, then you just haven't been honest."
And so on.

Perhaps you are simply so convinced of God's goodness and your own and some other people's goodness that you are simply unable to relate to the possibility of God being evil or that the process of getting to know God might be absurd/irrational (ie. carrying out mutually exclusive actions, such as believing that one is evil by nature but still choosing God).

Perhaps you are simply so convinced of God's goodness and your own and some other people's goodnes.......
I think the seeming inevitability of certain ideas, their apparant rightness is so appealing to some that a grounded through experience to ideas is never taken or encouraged. I know this is an ad hom, but I feel like it needs to be said anyway. The issue is not whether the ideas are correct, but have these been reached through the same human, manifest morass you find yourself in. Sometimes the certainty can come simply from a love of the shape of ideas. Sometimes it comes from humans that are more lightly manifest and who think this is superior. They can, literally, slough off the mundane world in ways other humans cannot. You can almost see their wings and the way their feet merely brush the ground but are always half lifting off.

I have gotten over my anger at the difference, but the endless never quite understanding the predicament of others, while presuming that they can - because the idea all souls are alike is so perfect and shiny, while at the same time judging the difference - is really galling. It ends up being a continuous judgment that you are at an earlier evolutionary stage, not sattvic enough, still attached, creating your own problems
or however they do not notice they are thinking about it.

Lightgigantic -

Ah, I should have read this first. Yes, I agree and my previous post is pretty much redundant. And I appreciate your thinking I understand and also that you are clear about the viability of my approach for you. Really. I mean I wish a solution was there or elsewhere at hand for you, but for me the clarity you have around this is great.

sure, but they are taking the separated parts as wholes in and of themselves
I understand the "sure" part. Which is to say, YES, polytheistic religions are religions.

Now, suppose these religions absolutely believe that their Gods and Goddesses are separate conscious individuals. Is their belief, religious?

Also, just to make sure, Scientology is a religion too, correct?

I understand the "sure" part. Which is to say, YES, polytheistic religions are religions.

Now, suppose these religions absolutely believe that their Gods and Goddesses are separate conscious individuals. Is their belief, religious?
that depends

Also, just to make sure, Scientology is a religion too, correct?
probably closer to a monism than a polytheism

Back