How can a person be sure that they have made the right decision about God?

So how is one supposed to decide between the two?

I am caught in the vaccum between the two philosophies.

If I ask the Christians for advice, I get the standard answers to pray, to "listen to my heart", study the Bible and so on. Which I have already done to the point of being ready to blow my brains out.

If I ask the other side, I also get standard answers in line with their tradition. Much of it I either cannot do, don't understand, my execution of it isn't good enough, or I am hampered in my efforts by Christianity.

Both of them more or less deride me.
Neither seems to be able or willing to relate to my problem.

The one I can turn to the least is God Himself - because in order to approach Him, to formulate a prayer, I would already have to choose one or the other side.

"The one I can turn to the least is God Himself - because in order to approach Him, to formulate a prayer, I would already have to choose one or the other side."

WHO said so?????? You?

If you believe a God may indeed exist and you believe that in being God He has the power to know your thoughts then why not turn to Him? You do not even need to use a name or some fancy title.

I don't get this thinking you have about needing to know God before turning to Him. Especially when i believe that God reveals Himself to those who ask. That is of course when that someone can swallow their pride. As has been said before genuine desire and humility are required.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Because I am afraid that I will burn in hell for all eternity if I don't do otherwise.

Then something is telling you that an eternal place of torment is.

I don't know how or where you get this self-assurance from, but I don't have it.

Maybe you are not afflicted by the curse of pride?

I think it would be nice to be so sure of myself, to be able to say, without a trace of fear or guilt "I am this, I am not that".

Fear is good for survival; guilt is good for eternal survival.

Why did all the world's problems have to come together in my mind, in me.

What seems like a curse can turn out to be a blessing in disguise.

Because it makes life so damn hard to be so radically different than others.
Have you any idea what it is like to always be an exception everyhere?
Life is hard enough as it is, so why make it even harder by indulging in beliefs and behaviors that only make it harder?

No, because there are so many people who are like them and they have a society where they fit in. I don't.

How ironic. You say you don't fit in? One of the consequences of my walk in faith with God is that i don't fit in. Anywhere.

I think Mr. Truth that you are trying to ask the age old question of which religion is correct.
How can we be sure we have chosen the correct way to God.
I think you need to very earnestly and very seriously with your whole being, ask God.
And then you need to expect answers. You will feel it in your heart and you will know it in your mind and your soul will smile. Love the Lord God with All your heart and all your soul and all your mind.

Please don't take the potential negative symbols involved as at all my point, but what you are asking reminds me of Buridan's Ass...

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Buridan's_ass

Actually, to me it looks more like Morton's Fork, a no-win situation, or a Catch 22.

To me the formulation is confused. There is no method all people will use. I am referring to that word 'one'.

It will have to be how you choose, through your own values, skills, intuition, intelligence and needs.

But this is the metanarrative that is explicitly annulled in Christianity, and indirectly in some other traditions.

I also think it helps to break down the process to a day to day level. What seems like the best action now? I get the sense this will seem painful and futile, given that you do not know and you want to know.

Yes ...

The reasons I ended up where I am are very much based on intuition and a felt sense. I do feel that intellectual insights confirm, afterward, my choice for me. But it simply felt right. In fact it felt like if it was wrong, then it did not matter what other choice I made, because finally I was doing something that fit me and what I wanted at the deepest levels. I suppose along the way insights I encountered did give me little boosts. I would be impressed and I was impressed by other people doing the same thing, very....But it felt like coming home.

That must be nice.

So they failed you.

So they failed you.

Of course they will say that I failed them. And I cannot refute that.

I am sure you have done some of this, but it seems critical to me. Get the best versions possible. A bunch of 'fundamentalists' triggering your terror of hell and online not quite in synch Eastern philosophy based responses keeps things on a very mental level only.

In person, I wouldn't even approach these people anymore, though.
Given that there are very grave consequences for offending them, and given how easily they take offense, then the best thing one can do is to keep a distance.

I don't know about that. How can the one or God not understand your confusion and pain and accept your reaching out in whatever form you put your prayer in, now, where you are at?

If God is anything like Lori, Adstar, Photizo, Sandy and so on - then I am doomed if I approach Him with the sort of questions I have.
I don't want to risk that.

I think Mr. Truth that you are trying to ask the age old question of which religion is correct.
How can we be sure we have chosen the correct way to God.
I think you need to very earnestly and very seriously with your whole being, ask God.
And then you need to expect answers. You will feel it in your heart and you will know it in your mind and your soul will smile. Love the Lord God with All your heart and all your soul and all your mind.

Or simply observe the vast differences in those world-wide who do believe and realize that it all is bogus. :eek:

Live your life. Do good deeds. Enjoy.

Another possiblity is to search for experts in the two traditions. In my own process I did end up meeting a great many teachers/masters/leaders and when I felt disillusioned with what they were saying, I brought this to them, and their reactions tended to speed up my process of rejecting them and their traditions.

I am afraid though to speak of my confusion. I would not dare call it disillusionment, as that would imply I have seen the truth about said tradition, which I wouldn't dare to claim.

Because talking about my confusion could very well cut me off from a religion/philosophy, even though that very religion/philosophy could be the right one.

I have often always had the feeling that when I tried to talk about my confusions and lack of understanding, the other side chalked it up to my pride, egotism, envy, that I should forgive and be patient and all the standard explanations and advice. I have often felt like they are deliberately trying to place me into a some suitable box. My further attempts to clarify my problem tended to be interpreted as "talking back", "shopping for answers", or "quarreling".
I don't know - perhaps part of trying to accept a tradition is to accept their conceptualization of one's problems, even when they do not seem accurate.

Also, while we're at talking to teachers and how this can speed up the rejection of them -
Just the other day I have received a reply from a teacher to my inquiry. But apparently due to some administrative error, this was actually a second reply to my inquiry, while I had already received a reply over a month ago. The two replies, to the same inquiry, are quite different, almost as if they were from two different people. Makes one wonder ...

Which, as I added, was part of my point. But then, a vague heuristic device like the quote of yours above could serve as is of little use if one does not trust one's intution.

I tend to think that values are something I am supposed to be flexible about, and I expect that for the purpose of spiritual progress, I may have to change many of them. So I try not to be attached to them.

If, for example, I had good reason to believe that for the sake of making spiritual progress, I should eat only raw food or never disagree with those higher up in the hierarchy than myself, or whatever, however irrational or silly it may currently appear to me, I would make an effort to accept those values and to adjust myself in such a manner to perceive them as right.

I mean, I am someone who thinks big - I took up Buddhism in order to become free from greed, anger and delusion, so that then, with such an enlightened mind, I would hopefully be able to implement the advice Christians have given me; because to my unenlightened mind, their advice seemed simply impossible to act on.
I don't think there are many people who would come up with such an ambitious plan and even act on it.

Most people do it, even Signal I would guess. But Signal is approaching, here, believers and their certainties. Certainties which, I believe, seem not quite to understand the role of their own certainty in a dialogue.

Oh well, I think LG is a sphynx ... Mysterious and unreachable. He'll say a word here and there, and then mysteriously go silent, and I can only wonder what I did wrong this time.

Anyway, I am exhausted from this. I suppose I will just finally have to go on that "desert trip".
Thank you all for participating.

I am afraid though to speak of my confusion. I would not dare call it disillusionment, as that would imply I have seen the truth about said tradition, which I wouldn't dare to claim.
I think there are experts in each tradition who understand that there pretty much has to be confusion, doubt, torn feelings/thoughts. Of course you have to find these people. But I think it is important. To have an encounter with someone you respect - at least is several areas, including expertise within the tradition. In any case, I learned a lot from such encounters. As far as seeing the truth of that tradition....

I do see a dilemma there and I would like to toss out three thoughts....

1) it seems to me you are trying to avoid being like the deaf lady and other people who are coming at you and judging you. I just want to say that I don't think it has to be the same thing, even though it may feel like it to you, and even though some of 'them' may take it that way. You are trying to find your place/path, not make them yield to your system. Even an urge to do this is not necessarily wrong, but my sense is that your main goal is not to rescue/fix/change others so the energy is different.

2) There is an important hair's difference between

your religion sucks because......
and
if this is true then _____________ and that feels terrible to me (or 'and I cannot see how that is not terrible' or 'that leads me to believe I am terrible')

I don't think getting the words perfectly is the issue, but rather I see this as where you are coming from.

I don't see you coming with a sword to lay waste to either Buddhism or Christianity.

You are presenting the person with your crisis, which of course includes your sense of their religion and your sense of what it is doing and not doing in you.

If however, their responses to not satisfy your doubts and do not reveal how you have misuderstood, they may end up taking this as a criticism of them and their religion, and their response may include judgments of you.

This kind of encounter is one that experts are trained in dealing with and it is par for the course. IOW you are not intruding like a car accident in their lives, even if they view it as not the most pleasant encounter by the end - which they may and you may even if you are both polite and friendly about it.

I guess I am saying that I feel EVERY tradition I have encountered welcomes me to make such errors in such an encounter, and really they all expect something like this to be a portion of the processes of even those who go on to 'finish' in that tradition.

I think it is better if at least some of these encounters are with prime examples of experts, ones who come as close as possible to humans you can feel received by.

Because talking about my confusion could very well cut me off from a religion/philosophy, even though that very religion/philosophy could be the right one.
I tend to think not. But aren't you doing this already?

I have often always had the feeling that when I tried to talk about my confusions and lack of understanding, the other side chalked it up to my pride, egotism, envy, that I should forgive and be patient and all the standard explanations and advice.
Yes, that is common, but I think there are those in every tradition who are more savvy than that.

I have often felt like they are deliberately trying to place me into a some suitable box.
Yup.

My further attempts to clarify my problem tended to be interpreted as "talking back", "shopping for answers", or "quarreling".
yes, I especially connect to the last one. This idea that you are simply making trouble for troubles sake. As if your concerns and confusion were things you constructed yourself to be perverse.

I don't know - perhaps part of trying to accept a tradition is to accept their conceptualization of one's problems, even when they do not seem accurate.
That is absolutely what most traditions I have encountered do. I do think, however, that there can be vastly more empathetic versions of this then the ones you have recounted here.

On the other hand, I do think you are touching on a problem I have had with a number of traditions. I think I moved away from traditions where where I was told, essentially, I had to shut down since I was wrong and act, for now, as if I agreed/felt aligned
and moved towards one where I could be where I was at and was encouraged to be in a supportive way. Along with the sense of empathy. Nuff said in that direction.

Also, while we're at talking to teachers and how this can speed up the rejection of them -
or acceptance, I really did mean that with the more compassionate, wisers representatives, you might find that what seems to be resistence in yourself, is not there any more. That it might lead you in and not away.

Just the other day I have received a reply from a teacher to my inquiry. But apparently due to some administrative error, this was actually a second reply to my inquiry, while I had already received a reply over a month ago. The two replies, to the same inquiry, are quite different, almost as if they were from two different people. Makes one wonder ...
Interesting. Potentially revealing also.

Last edited:
I tend to think that values are something I am supposed to be flexible about, and I expect that for the purpose of spiritual progress, I may have to change many of them. So I try not to be attached to them.
So, in a sense, you are already a believer.
If, for example, I had good reason to believe that for the sake of making spiritual progress, I should eat only raw food or never disagree with those higher up in the hierarchy than myself, or whatever, however irrational or silly it may currently appear to me, I would make an effort to accept those values and to adjust myself in such a manner to perceive them as right.
OK. Again, I think that empathy plays a strong role - or the lack does - in the dynamic. I don't really go for this myself, though I suppose I have stepped out of habits/values in an exploratory way because of encouragement and ideas.

I mean, I am someone who thinks big - I took up Buddhism in order to become free from greed, anger and delusion, so that then, with such an enlightened mind, I would hopefully be able to implement the advice Christians have given me; because to my unenlightened mind, their advice seemed simply impossible to act on.
I don't think there are many people who would come up with such an ambitious plan and even act on it.
No, it's interesting and unique. And especially for the Christians.

Oh well, I think LG is a sphynx ... Mysterious and unreachable. He'll say a word here and there, and then mysteriously go silent, and I can only wonder what I did wrong this time.
Silence is the great teacher. :)p)

Anyway, I am exhausted from this. I suppose I will just finally have to go on that "desert trip".
Thank you all for participating.
I did think of 'Meetings with Remarkable Men' the film on Gurdjieff directed by Peter Brook. A very interesting film - or it was 20 years ago. And has the requisite wandering through the desert. Though, as advertised, only men seem to be remarkable for some reason.

To make a long story short:

god is a 'fairytale' like concept.

You can be 100% sure by reading more and more science

(all brances of science!!)

Then our beautiful godless unverse makes perfect sense.

To make a long story short:

god is a 'fairytale' like concept.

You can be 100% sure by reading more and more science

(all brances of science!!)

Then our beautiful godless unverse makes perfect sense.
you could try adding "and then we all would live happily ever after"
:eek:

I think there are experts in each tradition who understand that there pretty much has to be confusion, doubt, torn feelings/thoughts. Of course you have to find these people. But I think it is important. To have an encounter with someone you respect - at least is several areas, including expertise within the tradition. In any case, I learned a lot from such encounters.

That would be nice. But how to know who is an expert in a tradition, unless one already has some considerable expertise or other certainties oneself?

As far as seeing the truth of that tradition....

I do see a dilemma there and I would like to toss out three thoughts....

1) it seems to me you are trying to avoid being like the deaf lady and other people who are coming at you and judging you. I just want to say that I don't think it has to be the same thing, even though it may feel like it to you, and even though some of 'them' may take it that way. You are trying to find your place/path, not make them yield to your system. Even an urge to do this is not necessarily wrong, but my sense is that your main goal is not to rescue/fix/change others so the energy is different.

2) There is an important hair's difference between

your religion sucks because......
and
if this is true then _____________ and that feels terrible to me (or 'and I cannot see how that is not terrible' or 'that leads me to believe I am terrible')

I don't think getting the words perfectly is the issue, but rather I see this as where you are coming from.

I don't see you coming with a sword to lay waste to either Buddhism or Christianity.

You are presenting the person with your crisis, which of course includes your sense of their religion and your sense of what it is doing and not doing in you.

If however, their responses to not satisfy your doubts and do not reveal how you have misuderstood, they may end up taking this as a criticism of them and their religion, and their response may include judgments of you.

This kind of encounter is one that experts are trained in dealing with and it is par for the course. IOW you are not intruding like a car accident in their lives, even if they view it as not the most pleasant encounter by the end - which they may and you may even if you are both polite and friendly about it.

This is a very good way to look at it, thank you! I can relate to most of what you are saying here.

I am a bit of a "mental/abstract type" - and this is something many people find offensive per se, as I have noticed.

I guess I am saying that I feel EVERY tradition I have encountered welcomes me to make such errors in such an encounter, and really they all expect something like this to be a portion of the processes of even those who go on to 'finish' in that tradition.

You must have something then that I don't. Because I don't have such positive experiences with the traditions I have encountered.

Perhaps this has to do with your being of a certain age, or of a certain appearance, or something else altogether.

I think it is better if at least some of these encounters are with prime examples of experts, ones who come as close as possible to humans you can feel received by.

I usually feel pressured to see things the other person's way.
If someone tells me they are my friends, or that they love me, or that such and such is good, I will feel obligated to believe that and to align myself so that I would agree with them. Which often isn't possible, so I get frustrated a lot.

"Humans I can feel received by" - this is an interesting phrase. I tend to think I am being offensive if I don't feel received by someone.

I tend to think not. But aren't you doing this already?

Yes, and it is a great source of anxiety for me.
If I don't inquire, I don't think I can accept. But if I do inquire, I risk never being accepted.

My further attempts to clarify my problem tended to be interpreted as "talking back", "shopping for answers", or "quarreling".

yes, I especially connect to the last one. This idea that you are simply making trouble for troubles sake. As if your concerns and confusion were things you constructed yourself to be perverse.

Yes. And then comes my feeling obligated to see things the other person's way ...

I've been thinking - I have this tendency to try to define myself exclusively by my circumstances. I could say I am "inverted" - have my insides out, and my outsides in, in a way.

On the other hand, I do think you are touching on a problem I have had with a number of traditions. I think I moved away from traditions where where I was told, essentially, I had to shut down since I was wrong and act, for now, as if I agreed/felt aligned

Yes, that sense of having to trust them completely, despite not knowing how or why, and then feeling how your trust is worth nothing. And then deteriorating from there.

or acceptance, I really did mean that with the more compassionate, wisers representatives, you might find that what seems to be resistence in yourself, is not there any more. That it might lead you in and not away.

Yes, this is what I would hope. But at the same time, I have the fear that this is asking too much, aiming too high, and that I should settle for less instead, lest I damage my chances of ever being accepted and making any progress.

I did think of 'Meetings with Remarkable Men' the film on Gurdjieff directed by Peter Brook. A very interesting film - or it was 20 years ago. And has the requisite wandering through the desert. Though, as advertised, only men seem to be remarkable for some reason.

Isn't it so, eh?

Last edited:
That would be nice. But how to know who is an expert in a tradition, unless one already has some considerable expertise or other certainties oneself?
I suppose one could have enough self-doubt not to be able to explore this. Some people go by lineage - in the Eastern traditions. If someone can show that they were given the leadership of an ashram or temple from a guru or master who got their leadership....and so on back in time. Could be that one reads one of their works and it strikes one as having expertise. Could be the prestige of the church or ashram.

To me there is no way to leave one's own faculties out of the equation, however, since popular things and lineages do not - or so my intuition tells me - necessarily have the value they proclaim.

I suppose a working assumption for me became at some point - Even though I am confused, I have enough sense and intuition to gradually find the means to get out of my predicament. Seems to me that if I am wrong about this, I lose nothing assuming it, since I would have no hope without it. But then I did not arrive at this - once minimal - level of self-trust through logic. At least I don't think so.
This is a very good way to look at it, thank you! I can relate to most of what you are saying here.
Oh, good!

I am a bit of a "mental/abstract type" - and this is something many people find offensive per se, as I have noticed.
I am not sure this is how you come across, at all, actually. I mean it is clear you have the facility with this kind of communication. It is also clear that you want a tradition to reach via this faculty. That you have a lot of passion about gaining clarity through rather abstract means. But you as a whole seem much more complicated.

I see LG as a much more mental/abstract type. For example the impression LG gives is that life and his ideas mesh completely. And have for quite some time.

I realize that on some level we are all hoping this will be the case for us also - so I suppose I am also saying that the strenght of the mental/abstract faculty is, in his case, overriding the experience/perception of anomalies and problems.
You must have something then that I don't. Because I don't have such positive experiences with the traditions I have encountered.
Mostly, neither have I. But I did experience a willingness to engage in dialogue, even with a doubter, skeptic, person with problems with the tradition, that you don't seem to have. Most of what I have read in your descriptions of encounters seem to describe people who probably do not practice in their religions the way people living in temples and ashrams do, for example. And there are examples of these in Christianity and Judaism and Islam also. People who have a more mystical relationship with God and have gone through hard times with that relationship. IOW people who are way past religion as fashion or military service or conformity and who can probably have conversations with similar people from other traditions, whereas the ground troops of the Abrahamic religions often see members of other religions as enemies or, at best, lost souls in need of saving or avoiding.

I think the invitation is implicit in the texts and traditions and stories the various religions toss out. Perhaps this was a naive read on my part.

Perhaps this has to do with your being of a certain age, or of a certain appearance, or something else altogether.
Could be. When I was really all over the place, trying a lot of different things I was first in big cities in the US. I think there is a kind of marketplace dynamism to the kinds of dialogues, such that it is understood that 'they' will meet skepticism, rajasic dialogue and crises. It could be a US thing too. I mean, if you are going to troll for followers in NYC or Boston, for example, expect some fairly passionate and blunt dialogue. I found this to be true even if I was dealing with foreign born and raised experts in a variety of traditions.

So local culture may have played a role and set my expectations even for future, outside the US interactions.

I suddenly feel like I am giving the impression I was a bull in a china shop - I suppose some cultures might see me this way, though frankly I think not. It generally took time and some degree of trust for my questions and issues to come out, unless 'they' were especially aggressive, which most were not.

I am quite sure I offended some people over the long run, but my sense was it was often followers. The leaders rarely seemed put off on the whole by the kinds of questions you are asking. Some followers, however, did think I should just shut up, the master had spoken, so it should be clear to me, and how could I possibly imply the Master's answer was inadequate (even for me only).

I suppose some of the masters could have been using me as an object lesson for their followers of the dense, lost fool, and we certainly did come to some impasses. I did leave or decide not to take up, well, pretty much everything. But for me it was because, in the end, they did not match my values, not because the tradition in question was not coherent or did not seem to 'work'. It took a long time for me to accept that I had a particular set of criteria, myself.

I usually feel pressured to see things the other person's way.
If someone tells me they are my friends, or that they love me, or that such and such is good, I will feel obligated to believe that and to align myself so that I would agree with them. Which often isn't possible, so I get frustrated a lot.
I've had this pattern. For me it happens very fast. It is like I give over authority to the other person. Over a period of a week or longer, it may seem like I am assertive or rebellious - though rebellion concedes authority - but in the moment I am seeing myself through their eyes. This has improved a lot in the romance/friend/love areas, but I still find it very strong in professional contexts and other non-intimate relations.

"Humans I can feel received by" - this is an interesting phrase. I tend to think I am being offensive if I don't feel received by someone.
Which really isn't fair to you. Everyone else has an unquestioned right to be themselves - which often is likely to be offensive to you - but you don't. Still, even without challenging this idea, there will be places/people you will feel more received by. Even if by some strange negative miracle this really is your fault - you have a bad nature (given to you by whom?) - it still seems morally acceptable that you would seek out people who make you feel less offensive and have the dialogue there.

I realize I may be suggesting a rather big undertaking: to find these people who are both experts and feel receptive to you. But it seems important. And this is not a digital suggestion. Just a sense of a gradient for you to travel and a main criterion. If you can move towards this reception, even if what you hit in the beginning is less than ideal, at least if it is a step in the right direction. And I suppose the underlying idea that you don't have to necessarily force encounters, with people who do not feel receptive, to work for you. That this is your task.

I don't really think it is.

Yes, and it is a great source of anxiety for me.
If I don't inquire, I don't think I can accept. But if I do inquire, I risk never being accepted.
Taken to the relationship with God/the universe this is a very strong and scary judgment. And I definitely can relate.

Yes. And then comes my feeling obligated to see things the other person's way ...

I've been thinking - I have this tendency to try to define myself exclusively by my circumstances. I could say I am "inverted" - have my insides out, and my outsides in, in a way.
Which makes it seem permanent. Seems like an important insight. I mean if your current situation is you, then how could it change?

Yes, that sense of having to trust them completely, despite not knowing how or why, and then feeling how your trust is worth nothing. And then deteriorating from there.
I tried very hard in some traditions. I really threw myself in them. In fact I think a lot of the followers never really understood their religions or dared the way I did.

In one, an absolute tenet was to bring everything to the guru. 1) most people did not even know their own everything. they were unaware of their doubts and complexity. 2) they hid all this from the guru and from themselves, but more from the guru.

I did not. I brought the guru EVERYTHING. (ok, there was much I did not know about myself, but I did take the idea very seriously and I brought what I found. And frankly I am really glad I did. I learned a lot. And its funny, the guru in question remembered me for decades, at least, occasionally referring to a friends I had who stayed in the tradition as my friend. Or referring to me in other ways and not without affection
(and irritation).

is is what I would hope. But at the same time, I have the fear that this is asking too much, aiming too high, and that I should settle for less instead, lest I damage my chances of ever being accepted and making any progress.
I mean, God is love and the Buddha is compassionate. Their representatives on earth should be, at least sometimes, incredibly pleasant to be with.

Afterthought....

I think meta communication might make this feel less scary - and you seem to appreciate it yourself. IOW when you approach some expert, approach them first by expressing your concerns about the communication from the start.

Further that letter writing might be a good start also.

To me there is no way to leave one's own faculties out of the equation

I suppose a working assumption for me became at some point - Even though I am confused, I have enough sense and intuition to gradually find the means to get out of my predicament. Seems to me that if I am wrong about this, I lose nothing assuming it, since I would have no hope without it. But then I did not arrive at this - once minimal - level of self-trust through logic. At least I don't think so.

Right - if I would be so completely inept as some people want me to think I am, then I would have literally disintegrated by now, even my body would dissolve.

I am not sure this is how you come across, at all, actually. I mean it is clear you have the facility with this kind of communication. It is also clear that you want a tradition to reach via this faculty. That you have a lot of passion about gaining clarity through rather abstract means. But you as a whole seem much more complicated.

Now that I think of it again, you are probably right. Years back, I even took up long distance running in order to make myself appear more earnest, to get a more even facial expression (although my joints soon made it clear to me that I wasn't going to make it very far). Because I basically have only two facial expressions that I rapidly switch between - that of a small child, and that of a chronically depressed adult. I think this is quite confusing for some people.

I see LG as a much more mental/abstract type. For example the impression LG gives is that life and his ideas mesh completely. And have for quite some time.

I realize that on some level we are all hoping this will be the case for us also - so I suppose I am also saying that the strenght of the mental/abstract faculty is, in his case, overriding the experience/perception of anomalies and problems.

I'm not so sure about that. As far as I know, he drinks real milk, pretty much every day, the sort of milk that smells and tastes of exactly what the cow ate. In my experience, already this does something to a person, makes a lightness of one's being.

Mostly, neither have I. But I did experience a willingness to engage in dialogue, even with a doubter, skeptic, person with problems with the tradition, that you don't seem to have.

Perhaps I interpret people's non-verbal and not directly intended attitudes more gravely than you. To me, the tone of their voice, their posture, etc. all form part of their argument. So I often perceive there are inconsistencies in their argument, and I get easily confused.
It seems I simply pick up the non-verbal very intensely.

I think the invitation is implicit in the texts and traditions and stories the various religions toss out. Perhaps this was a naive read on my part.

I too think that there are such implicit invitations.

So local culture may have played a role and set my expectations even for future, outside the US interactions.

I was raised in the old-fasioned country. I don't sit down when visiting someone unless told or if I myself ask for permission. That alone probably says a lot.
In person, I have enormous concerns over decency and politeness. I automatically feel guilty if I shift into the analytical mood. And I am sick of feeling this guilt.

It took a long time for me to accept that I had a particular set of criteria, myself.

Yes, these things are not easy at all.

I've had this pattern. For me it happens very fast. It is like I give over authority to the other person. Over a period of a week or longer, it may seem like I am assertive or rebellious - though rebellion concedes authority - but in the moment I am seeing myself through their eyes.

Yes, I can relate.

Which really isn't fair to you. Everyone else has an unquestioned right to be themselves - which often is likely to be offensive to you - but you don't.

Yes ...

Still, even without challenging this idea, there will be places/people you will feel more received by. Even if by some strange negative miracle this really is your fault - you have a bad nature (given to you by whom?) - it still seems morally acceptable that you would seek out people who make you feel less offensive and have the dialogue there.

I tend to think that I need to be happy and content with whatever there is, no matter how bad I may think it is - "It should be enough for me, I shouldn't ask for more".

I realize I may be suggesting a rather big undertaking: to find these people who are both experts and feel receptive to you. But it seems important. And this is not a digital suggestion. Just a sense of a gradient for you to travel and a main criterion. If you can move towards this reception, even if what you hit in the beginning is less than ideal, at least if it is a step in the right direction. And I suppose the underlying idea that you don't have to necessarily force encounters, with people who do not feel receptive, to work for you. That this is your task.

I don't really think it is.

I suppose I will have to change my basic outlook toward my search.

Which makes it seem permanent. Seems like an important insight. I mean if your current situation is you, then how could it change?

I now also think this being inverted comes with feeling obligated to open myself to other people and to answer their questions on their terms, do everything on their terms. Also, from forum discussions - I am here after all discussing my internals in front of what is actually a wide audience.

In one, an absolute tenet was to bring everything to the guru. 1) most people did not even know their own everything. they were unaware of their doubts and complexity. 2) they hid all this from the guru and from themselves, but more from the guru.

Recently, I was directed to a blog written by a sannyasi who had a falldown, but was allowed to stay in the organization, partly keep his status but otherwise has to keep a low profile. He writes daily entries about his spiritual practice, in painful detail about his problems with chanting, ill health and such.
This has actually been by far the most instructive experience from the tradition that I am investigating.

I mean, God is love and the Buddha is compassionate. Their representatives on earth should be, at least sometimes, incredibly pleasant to be with.

Yes!

I think meta communication might make this feel less scary - and you seem to appreciate it yourself. IOW when you approach some expert, approach them first by expressing your concerns about the communication from the start.

Thank you, I think this is a very useful suggestion!
This way, the terms of communication will be clear to the person I am communicating with, and more importantly, to me.

Christ the thread has become lame.

Its like you're both in a therapy session or something. Does this thread still have a point? :shrug: Maybe you two should take the group psychoanalysis to pm.

'Deity anonymous':D

At the same time, I could list Biblical passages that would certainly seem to indicate that the way but i wil not so.

I certainly appreciate peoples statements and their position and I won't attempt to "pressure" anubody into saying anything ..

BUT, ss much as I understand what some are saying, I must admit that I come to a totally different conclusion.

:D

Back