House On Fire?

Then your ability to describe nature "as you see it" is dependant on how much you know of nature "as it is" and your ability to clearly show that to others.
Yes. That's why we use reason and science. Because we can clearly show our results to others and repeatedly demonstrate them. Even if you don't understand relativistic time dilation and how it is corrected for in GPS satellites, you can still use a Garmin[sup]TM[/sup] GPS to find your way out of the woods.

As is the theist discussion dependant on his ability to clearly show what he believe to others.
Exactly, which is why the theist position is nothing but a simple fantasy. Because what you are showing so clearly is simply what you believe. Not what is.

What I keep failing to understand is why theists continuously equate what they believe to what really is.

But that dosen't much matter. You can believe anything you want.

Which brings up the other thing theists seem to be confused about. When you state your belief as reality, you can then fairly be taken to task to show it as real. I.e. you must be able to demonstrate, scientifically (a simple way of saying evidence based) that your claim is real.

Obviously, we could descend into endless philosophical debates on what is real, etc. But we all know the difference between fantasy and reality. It just appears that some of us require more fantasy than others to get through the day.

Pay attention where attention is due. You don't live in the past, you live in the present.

Otherwise you change the entire framework of this thread to suit your needs, and take us to a discussion which belongs in the 19th century (and before).
You don't think things can change for the worse, almost overnight, without vigilance?

Yes. That's why we use reason and science. Because we can clearly show our results to others and repeatedly demonstrate them. Even if you don't understand relativistic time dilation and how it is corrected for in GPS satellites, you can still use a Garmin[sup]TM[/sup] GPS to find your way out of the woods.
That's nice, also if you have a star or the moon as reference you can walk in an almost straight line to keep you from running in circles in the woods...

Exactly, which is why the theist position is nothing but a simple fantasy. Because what you are showing so clearly is simply what you believe. Not what is.

What I keep failing to understand is why theists continuously equate what they believe to what really is.
Because we believe that is what really is. Where we lack visual confirmation and evidence we have belief.

But that dosen't much matter. You can believe anything you want.
Of course.

Which brings up the other thing theists seem to be confused about. When you state your belief as reality, you can then fairly be taken to task to show it as real. I.e. you must be able to demonstrate, scientifically (a simple way of saying evidence based) that your claim is real.
No, I don't have to do that, since I never state that it is reality, but only that I believe it to be reality. I can also sometimes give reasons for why I believe in a way that scientists should understand.

Obviously, we could descend into endless philosophical debates on what is real, etc. But we all know the difference between fantasy and reality. It just appears that some of us require more fantasy than others to get through the day.
Actually it doesn't have to do with fantasy, it has to do with a firm belief that there is more than we can see and that there is something beyond all this.

That's nice, also if you have a star or the moon as reference you can walk in an almost straight line to keep you from running in circles in the woods...
Unless it's cloudy...

All beside the point.

Because we believe that is what really is. Where we lack visual confirmation and evidence we have belief.

Of course.

No, I don't have to do that, since I never state that it is reality, but only that I believe it to be reality. I can also sometimes give reasons for why I believe in a way that scientists should understand.

Actually it doesn't have to do with fantasy, it has to do with a firm belief that there is more than we can see and that there is something beyond all this.
The rest of what you say makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, some of your theistic compatriots think that just because they believe it. it's real. And they would have us accept all of the doctrine that goes along with this belief as necessary and required.

This is a little dialog that tries to illustrate the position of the common garden varitety atheist. We atheists and theists can dissect it and have some fun if you want. Or not.

------------------------------------------------------------

for you analogy to be analogous you would have to first establish that the theist and the atheist are on the same epistemological footing.

IOW you would have to establish that discerning the nature of god is not subject to any prerequisites (such as practice based on theory for instance)

Since there are literally tons of normative descriptions in scripture, I think that would be a very difficult case to establish.

To shift back to your fire on the island scenario, to make it share parallels with atheist vs theist showdown, I would suggest that one person has binoculars and the other person refuses to look through them
(IOW one person is applying the practice and the other person is standing outside of the practice)

and it is this difference that leads to the difference in values or conclusion

Last edited:
for you analogy to be analogous you would have to first establish that the theist and the atheist are on the same epistemological footing.

IOW you would have to establish that discerning the nature of god is not subject to any prerequisites (such as practice based on theory for instance)

Since there are literally tons of normative descriptions in scripture, I think that would be a very difficult case to establish.

To shift back to your fire on the island scenario, to make it share parallels with atheist vs theist showdown, I would suggest that one person has binoculars and the other person refuses to look through them
(IOW one person is applying the practice and the other person is standing outside of the practice)

However, that wouldn't reflect it as well either, since there are no method for atheists to know that God doesn't exist, binoculars or not.

However, that wouldn't reflect it as well either, since there are no method for atheists to know that God doesn't exist, binoculars or not.
true, but I think supe's gripe is that there is no reason to say god exists - which basically boils down to, in the island scenario, a person saying "show me the fire" yet refusing to look through the binoculars

Is not the point that the theist has no factual basis, practice or not, to base the existence of go on? By never being able to demonstrate even a discernable effect attributable to none other than god almighty exclusively, does that not leave the theist at somewhat of a loss?

Unless it's cloudy...

All beside the point.
Yes, a little sidetrack there...

The rest of what you say makes perfect sense. Unfortunately, some of your theistic compatriots think that just because they believe it. it's real. And they would have us accept all of the doctrine that goes along with this belief as necessary and required.
I think people in general follow societies doctrine, and their own doctrine (which most of the time doesn't conflict with either mine doctrine or societies as far as I can tell).

So I don't understand really what you mean by that, are you forced to accept something you don't want to? Who is forcing you and by what means?

true, but I think supe's gripe is that there is no reason to say god exists - which basically boils down to, in the island scenario, a person saying "show me the fire" yet refusing to look through the binoculars
Not really. If we did have binoculars in the story (which we don't) it would be the theist refusing to look through them, I think. However in the analogy there can be no binoculars because god is, by theistic definition, not observable with the tools of science - like telescopes.

There is no way to get a closer look at the island. But we're being asked to just accept that the house is on fire even though we see no smoke or flames, just something that may or may not suggest one (a dim orange glow).

You notice that I never deny the possibility of a fire. It certainly could be a smoldering log in the fireplace, ready to fall out and engulf the house. The point is, I don't know and neither does our character of the mighty certainty.

No...at the heart of all Theism is the Word of God: "In the beginning God..."

You introduce the bible as evidence?:rolleyes: Let's look at that bible shall we?
According to each of the 4 gospels on what day did your jesus arive in jerusulum?
And according to each of the four gospels, how long was jesus on the cross?
What does the word 'gospel' mean in modern parlance?
Show your work.

Most of us have looked through the binoculars- still no fire

Well put!
I was raised catholic and spent the first half of my life looking through the binoculars, still not seeing the fire, as everyone told me that there was something wrong with me for not seeing the fire

Isn't that like circular reasoning ? To practice religion don't you first have to believe. It's not like you practice it day in and day out and them one morning you know God exists...
So the binoculars can't be analogues with practice.

Supe
Is not the point that the theist has no factual basis, practice or not, to base the existence of go on? By never being able to demonstrate even a discernable effect attributable to none other than god almighty exclusively, does that not leave the theist at somewhat of a loss?
well, no, its not the point
behind theistic claims is a process as indicated by normative descriptions in scripture
as such the claims are discernible by those that apply the procedure
Not really. If we did have binoculars in the story (which we don't) it would be the theist refusing to look through them, I think.
:confused:
you want to suggest that an atheist has a position for directly perceiving the non-existence of god?

However in the analogy there can be no binoculars because god is, by theistic definition, not observable with the tools of science - like telescopes.
I think you are mixing metaphors

IOW I am not saying that god can be seen through binoculars
I am saying that the claim for seeing god rests on prerequisites (just like claims in empirical science rest on prerequisites). So to make your analogy analogous you would have to introduce something about the fire on the island that makes verification dependent on prerequisites (like say, the prerequisite of seeing through a pair of binoculars for instance)

There is no way to get a closer look at the island. But we're being asked to just accept that the house is on fire even though we see no smoke or flames, just something that may or may not suggest one (a dim orange glow).

You notice that I never deny the possibility of a fire. It certainly could be a smoldering log in the fireplace, ready to fall out and engulf the house. The point is, I don't know and neither does our character of the mighty certainty.

If you insist that both participants be on the same epistemological footing then immediately your analogy bears no parallel to the claims of theists – on the contrary, as it stands, your analogy could be a successful tool in explaining what some scientists tend to do – namely make unverifiable supernatural claims. (eg Big Bang theory, the radius of the Milky way, Third law of thermodynamics, Heisenberg’s uncertainty principle, square root of minus 1, punctuated equilibrium evolutionary theory etc etc)
;)

Well put!
I was raised catholic and spent the first half of my life looking through the binoculars, still not seeing the fire, as everyone told me that there was something wrong with me for not seeing the fire

Most of us have looked through the binoculars- still no fire

really?
what do you understand (or rather, did you understand) the prerequisites to be behind theistic claims?

Emnos

Originally Posted by lightgigantic

Isn't that like circular reasoning ? To practice religion don't you first have to believe. It's not like you practice it day in and day out and them one morning you know God exists...
So the binoculars can't be analogues with practice.
to begin with, all fields of knowledge have their origins in faith (or inductive knowledge if you prefer) - regardless whether we are talking about a lab set for 6 year olds or god
even to take the step to look through the binoculars requires faith

and with religion, yes it is a question of practice - movie producers tend to capitalize on people's weaknesses by producing action films that involve guys like bus drivers who turn out to be mavericks that can accomplish things that a hundred green berets can't, but generally we see in the real world behind unique feats are unique qualifications

It should be reflected. Perhaps not by incorporating Sharia Laws.

It doesn't matter what you want, it's what Muslims want. And, incorporating Sharia Law is what they want.

I don't know, some people just aren't interested in books...

Or, maybe, only interested in one book? ;)

I don't think so, why would it be so?

There are many reasons why theist dominated societies have MUCH higher crime and violence rates than non-theist dominated societies. It is a fact many theists try to ignore or divert attention away. You tell me?

Back