Here you go Christians, something to really pray for!

I think you have me pegged all wrong. I am all for hydrogen. however, I don't think we are ready to switch yet. gasoline is still relatively cheap in the US, and there needs to be more research done to improve hydrogen technology.

also, I think you are a bit too optimistic about alternative energy stopping terrorism. Thomas Barnett, of the us naval warfare college, would disagree with your post. it is his belief (others hold this position as well) that terrorism is simply about trying to hijack the middle east, like lennin did in Russia. removing our military actions might eliminate some recruiting tools, but it is not going to stop terrorism.

http://www.greencarcongress.com/2004/07/epa_carb_2supnd.html
that gives about 50mpgge, which good. however, there are still problems with the car, like range, hp, and last, but not least, they use compressed hydrogen tanks. I don't think compressed hydrogen tanks can be used for major production, due to the explosive nature of hydrogen gas. I would not want to be in an accident with one of these things VS anything bigger than a bicycle =].

maybe ten or twenty years from now, we will be in a situation that would be a benefit to us by switching over to hydrogen, buts the time is not now. however, if I lived in a country that charged $8+ per gallon of gas, I would say that time is just about here, but it makes more economic sense for us to use gasoline at the moment.

Cato said,

that gives about 50mpgge, which good. however, there are still problems with the car, like range, hp, and last, but not least, they use compressed hydrogen tanks. I don't think compressed hydrogen tanks can be used for major production, due to the explosive nature of hydrogen gas. I would not want to be in an accident with one of these things VS anything bigger than a bicycle.

Yeah, a tank that can store hydrogen needs to be pretty strong to prevent a puncture. Also, the energy required to compress the hydrogen could be recovered by sending it through an air motor before it is "burned". Everybody assumes the hydrogen compression process is just wasted energy, but it would be pretty easy to recover.

There are other ways of storing hydrogen besides compression. There are, for example, various types of materials that can absorb hydrogen, like a dessicant absorbs water.

Where did you get the 50 mpgge data? ok, I checked you link -- good data. ;)

Last edited:
Back