Here we go again

Is this a problem?

If public schools are funded with taxes, which they are, and ignoring the illegitimate nature of taxation, then don't the people funding the schools have a say in what is taught? Public or not, since it's funded with taxation then the majority gets to decide what is taught.

Of course, this is no surprise considering the problems of public property and public service.

Yes it's a problem. We have a separation of church and state. No state sanctioned religion.

You don't see that implying there would be no United States if it wasn't for god as a problem.

A lot of people home school their kids, alot of people take their kids to religious schools but schools that are funded by taxpayer dollars are not allowed to sanction religion. Simple as that. It's just another test, a waste of time and money to have to fight it. But it has to be fought.

Yes it's a problem. We have a separation of church and state. No state sanctioned religion.
Then opinions in general cannot be taught

Yet children are taught that the Holocaust was wrong; children are taught to be "loyal" to the state; children are taught pledges and this and that.

Public education either a)can't be biased at all or b) depends on a majority will.

You don't see that implying there would be no United States if it wasn't for god as a problem.
No, I don't see a problem with it if it is what the majority wants, because they're funding it.

A lot of people home school their kids, alot of people take their kids to religious schools but schools that are funded by taxpayer dollars are not allowed to sanction religion.
Why not? Ethically, why not?

Taxpayer dollars come from everyone. Therefore everyone has a say; therefore the majority decides; therefore if the majority decides that religion must be taught, then it must be taught.

Or, we could abolish public property, and fix everybody's problem

vs. no universe if it wasn't for god? :confused:

can you guys explain to me why you care so much about what they teach your kids in school? i mean, is it really that much of a problem, or too much of a responsibility to council your children yourself in regards to these things?

Because that's the reality at the moment. And it's hypocritical of them.

No, you are being hypocritical and inconsistent by arguing from a position you oppose in reality.
Why don't you say what you really think of it ?

Lori, it's a problem because it's public. Therefore people don't have a choice, and everybody is funding it, so they're all fighting for what they want taught, and no matter what is taught someone will be unhappy yet still paying for it.

Private property solves this problem, because you can pay for the school you want, that is how you like, and you don't have to pay for someone else.

No, you are being hypocritical and inconsistent by arguing from a position you oppose in reality.
Why don't you say what you really think of it ?

I am, I think public schooling is the problem. However if liberals are going to argue against the teaching of religion, then they're being hypocrites.

can you guys explain to me why you care so much about what they teach your kids in school? i mean, is it really that much of a problem, or too much of a responsibility to council your children yourself in regards to these things?

lol Do you have kids ?

They sooner believe school than you, I can promise you that.

As are you.

No, I'm not; I'm not contradicting myself anywhere. I'm not actually arguing for their position, I'm showing that in order to be consistent they can't oppose the teaching of religion if it's a majority decision.

Lori, it's a problem because it's public. Therefore people don't have a choice, and everybody is funding it, so they're all fighting for what they want taught, and no matter what is taught someone will be unhappy yet still paying for it.

Private property solves this problem, because you can pay for the school you want, that is how you like, and you don't have to pay for someone else.

yeah true, but there's something to be said for personal responsibility in a world where your kids are going to be exposed to all kinds of things you may or may not want them exposed to, whether it be by an institution or not. what about all the bullshit the government tells us does "on our behalf"? we sure as fuck are paying for that out the ass.

i have neighbors who home school their kids. they're christians, and i think they're doing the same thing...trying to control their kids environments as far as what they're exposed to. like, keeping them in some bubble. i mean, they are really nice people, and great kids, but i wonder about what kind of "favor" their parents are really doing for them. at the very least they're prone to be socially inept. and when confronted with the "real world", will be totally unprepared to deal with it.

i think it's a great lesson learned to be able to confront and resolve idealisms that are unlike your own. it's a foundation of socialization.

yeah true, but there's something to be said for personal responsibility in a world where your kids are going to be exposed to all kinds of things you may or may not want them exposed to, whether it be by an institution or not. what about all the bullshit the government tells us does "on our behalf"? we sure as fuck are paying for that out the ass.
Right, and free market capitalism is the cure.

i think it's a great lesson learned to be able to confront and resolve idealisms that are unlike your own. it's a foundation of socialization.

If you want to.

lol Do you have kids ?

They sooner believe school than you, I can promise you that.

no, i do not. but i think that's an unfair judgement. and as i said in another thread, it's my responsibility to instill values and ideals through the way i love them, and to discuss with them what they are taught in school. but it is not my responsibility to make their mind up for them.

Are you greedy?

i'd have to say RELATIVELY no. but i can't ignore the fact that i live quite comfortably, and entertain myself quite frivolously, in the same world, and community in fact, where children are starving to death and barely have clothes on their backs.

Norse,

Here.

The First Amendment to the United States Constitution is the part of the United States Bill of Rights that expressly prohibits the United States Congress from making laws "respecting an establishment of religion" or that prohibit the free exercise of religion, infringe the freedom of speech, infringe the freedom of the press, limit the right to peaceably assemble, or limit the right to petition the government for a redress of grievances.

"establishment of religion"

It's a problem.

Back