Hello Board!

Originally posted by (Q)
An alien, for example.
I thought we were talking about UFOs?
And hopefully, that remains the course of action. The less done to accommodate the UFO nutters, the better.
Oh of course, every sighting has been an hallucination. Where's your evidence?
No, but it is the claim of aliens that is in question. What leads one to that conclusion?
Who cares how they draw their conclusions. Just because their conclusion is improbable doesn't mean they didn't see an UFO.
There is no evidence to view objectively. And I would label them nutters and loons. Crackpots are the ones with pet theories.
Everyone is lying or hallucinating? What about those reports without theories?
Imaginations running wild – the ‘I-can’t-explain-what-I-saw-so-it-must-be-an-alien’ nonsense.
Out of the quotes only 2 mentioned aliens, what is this nonsense you speak of? My claim is I've seen spacecraft because they were in space when I seen them.
You didn't see the huge purple shit I did this morning, so does that mean I just imagined it. Unless Q sees it, it just isn't real:D
So, turning it around so that I must prove a negative somehow validates the case for ET?
I didn't see that implication in the post by Xevious? Why don't you make a better argument then "they don't exist".
And I am to come up with hard evidence to show that something does not exist?

Shame on you – you should know by now that it is the believers making the claims and that they are the ones who are required to produce hard evidence to show ET exists. They are doing little more then peeing into the wind.
You make the claim that ALL sightings are bullshit, where is your "hard' evidence?

I think Q is deficating in his pants that the belivers are nailing the skeptic on his own turf.

Originally posted by Ives
Q needs to be examined for what he is actually doing here. Consider his exchange with Kaz from agove:

"But how much scientific study has been done on these claims of UFO sightings? Not much if any I would imagine.

And hopefully, that remains the course of action. The less done to accommodate the UFO nutters, the better."

Less study is a good thing? Let's be honest here, Q does not represent a point of view interested in honest exchange. Q is here to disrupt and invalidate the subject matter.

Or consider this statement:

"So, the believers cannot provide a shred of evidence and it’s my fault for not seeing the evidence they cannot provide – how brilliant!"

Phil Klass uses this tactic when he makes statements like - there is not a shred of evidence that UFOs are alien spacecraft. I paraphrased that - but the point is to use careful phrasing to frame the argument in terms of whether there is evidence that UFOs are actually alien spacecraft. If someone is advancing that there is hard evidence that UFOs are alien spacecraft, I would agree; the evidence is slim and the conclusion relies heavily on speculation. To me, the point is not to prove the existence of alien spacecraft. The quest is to determine the core identity behind the true UFO. For some reason, people like Q don't like that quest and mock it. The methodology he imploys is to ignore data and instead ask us to accept his beliefs instead of looking at the actual data. Does that sound empirical?

Very nice posts Ives; unfortunately Q appears to be incapable of thoughtful discussion. I really see no option but to ignore. Besides, if he does by chance make a valid point, someone else can restate it for him. Philosophies like that of Q are really a kind of new-age religioscience [sic] manifestation that comes complete with a Newtonian-McCarthian predisposition...with a just a touch of Mein Kampf for flavor. Q's philosophy is a great example of the loss of critical thinking to that of religioscience. Really it is sad.

Last edited:
Originally posted by PuPuPlatter42
Q, nowhere on this thread have I seen anyone but you make this statement. Quite frankly, you are the only one here who is sounding like a 'nutter', as you so aptly put it. Your childish anger is glaringly apparent.

Now don't go confusing the issue with facts.:D

2in

The most striking coincidence is that at the same time, French physicist J.P. Petit was plotting the equations that led, a few years later (Petit, 1986), to the evidence that flying objects could be propelled at very high speeds without turbulence nor shock waves using the magnetohydrodynamic effects of Laplace force action!"

Have you been to Petit’s (crank) site? This guy appears to be a major crackpot. Did you know that your reference to magnetohyrodynamic effects is that of a neutron star?

So, when does Petit go into full production?

Ives

I was careful in my introductory post to point out that I don't feel that the evidence justifies a leap to the ETH as an answer to the core identity of UFOs.

So, your opening post was in Pseudoscience and your topic of choice was UFO’s and you claim to have spent time on another boards debating a skeptic.

What is it, exactly, that you presume I believe?

Here are a few of your qualifiers that put you in the category of ‘believer’:

many of you here have realized the transparent nature of debunker arguments… the Air Force public positions on UFOs are, shall we say, disengenious… an airborne object that exhibits behavioral characteristics consistent with intelligent operation and control… "Intelligent control" is a reasonble inference based on the observable evidence… Personally, I will confess to a strong hunch that some UFOs are in fact, alien spacecraft.

Your comments have left you with very little ‘wiggle’ room.

And that, Q, says more about the weakness of your position than it does about mine.

Then, by all means, attempt to exploit the weakness.

I regard myself as a skeptic; any truly critical thinker is a skeptic.

Yet, your statements would indicate you are neither.

To debunk is to expose the falseness of something. So debunking carries with it a pre-disposition of the falseness of the phenomenon. This is just what I called it; a predisposition or bias, and is thus inherently anti-empirical.

That would stand to reason in the case of Ufology considering nothing has ever been shown to validate the believers onslaught of claims for aliens. And your use of ‘anti-empirical’ is a fallacy. In order to conduct an experiment, one must have access to the observation or the evidence.

That line is most often crossed in truly compelling incidents in which they appear to be compelled to offer something, anything , to appease the public.

The believer relies completely on this method – they have nothing else to offer.

I am interested in the world around me, and find the UFO phenomenon intriguing.

And although you did not answer my direct question, I’ll repeat it here since it is one of importance to your position. What benefit do you gain from this interest? If all UFO claims turn out to be explained by terrestrial means, and most likely of an inconsequential nature, what exactly is so interesting? It seems to defy logic, especially from one who claims to be a skeptic and critical thinker. You stated to having a ‘strong hunch that some UFO’s are in fact aliens,’ so it would appear your interest lies within these parameters, and that you really want to believe aliens visit Earth.

Would you argue that the reactions of the military, intelligence and other governmental insitutions are irrelevant in a search for the truth?

Are you referring to conspiracy theories?

I think government agencies; institutions, etc. go far beyond what is necessary when accommodating UFOlogists. It is a useless drain on resources and funding.

I have not advocated that aliens are visiting the Earth.

I think you do.

you must construct the arguments of your opponents for them in order to shoot them down.

Perhaps, but only because they were unable to construct there own.

So yes, I do think you are "in fear of the believers and the nonsense they shoot

That’s almost too funny. If an emotion you seek, pity is more relevant.

I also know that "science" as an institution has been telling us many things were impossible for a long, long time, and that often, science was wrong.

Science attempts to explain how things work based on observation. It is of course, important as to the level of sophistication in regards to how a phenomenon is observed. When science is wrong, this is often the reason.

Can you cite any recent observation that has been shown to be completely wrong based on the findings?

Moreover, people more scientifically educated than I have concluded that such travel is not an impossibility.

And of course, you thoroughly researched this claim, looked at all the variables and came to a ‘less than scientifically educated’ conclusion that it is a possibility. Are you sure you didn’t come to this conclusion because you really wanted to believe it possible?

Perhaps you should address why American tax dollars are at this moment examining exotic propulsion systems

What exotic propulsion systems? The only propulsion systems I’m aware of are not exotic.

I do not advance the argument that genuine UFOs are occupied by aliens

You keeping saying that yet your statements contradict.

I would argue that a small percentage of UFO incidents do not appear to represent human technology, but do appear to be intelligently operated or directed.

How do you know that? How can you compare human technology to non-human technology without direct evidence of non-human technology? What is non-human technology?

If an object is under intelligent control but not of human origin, I suppose the intelligence behind it, regardless of core nature, could be termed "alien".

How would you know that? Has it been confirmed that non-human (alien) intelligence exists here on Earth, or anywhere else?

You draw comparisons with that which cannot be compared. Certainly not the methods one would use as a critical thinker or skeptic.

There are endless possibilities that we could enjoy discussing, but you deny yourself that.

Sure, we could sit here and fantasize all day and come up with practically anything that defies logic and reason. Is that your intention?

And if so, perhaps such intelligence visits us now. Would I argue there is evidence for that? No.

Therefore, it is all wishful thinking not based on anything but science fiction.

But if we see evidence of non-human intelligence, what then? Do we simply ignore it, as you appear to support, or do we at least try to engage in thougtful speculation about it?

First we need the evidence – then we can engage. Fantasizing about it is pointless, unless you feel the need to disengage from reality. And of course, I have no problem with that except for when the nutters begin demanding funding for their fantasies and place a drain on resources.

Which is more in our interest as a species?

Certainly not fantasies of visiting aliens?

it is you who have anthropomporphized the "aliens", not me

OK, what would you call it? How do you account for aliens who apparently can travel to Earth from lightyears away and never show themselves?

Are you talking about abductions, sightings, radar cases, what?

Take your pick.

But your vagueness and over-generalizations are a waste of time.

As are the claims of believers and this thread, so, that should make it about even.

You need to do some homework and then come back prepared to talk in more specific terms.

Should I visit all the UFOlogy sites and read up on every claim of visiting aliens? Should I study the latest FTL theories, regardless of the confines of physics? Watch X-Files? Learn to speak Klingon?

Less study is a good thing? Let's be honest here, Q does not represent a point of view interested in honest exchange. Q is here to disrupt and invalidate the subject matter.

Yes, less study of UFOlogy and the claims of believers. Nothing of any benefit can be concluded from their so-called subject matter.

In my opinion, it is the believers who are here to disrupt and invalidate. They do little more then confuse and deceive those looking to understand and learn about science.

For some reason, people like Q don't like that quest and mock it.

Yes, as I mentioned, it is a pointless use of funding and resources and benefits no one except those who take advantage of the believer for profit.

The methodology he imploys is to ignore data and instead ask us to accept his beliefs instead of looking at the actual data.

I don’t ignore the data – I find it specious at best. I’m not asking anyone to believe anything – in fact that is what you and your pals are doing.

I want to know what makes believers come to the conclusion that aliens are visiting Earth. You said it yourself:

…the evidence is slim and the conclusion relies heavily on speculation.

Last edited:
Ivan

Boy, you called it on this Q fellow. I certainly got his attention, and while that's flattering, many of his responses don't even make sense. They're pretty canned, too. He is certainly desperate to mislabel an interest in UFOs into a gushing belief that aliens walk among us. There simply has to be a minimun of intellectual honesty in any debate; in my few visits here I can already see that Q is incapable that, and of either civil or rational debate. The only goal from such a style is to drive people away, which is curious. You don't "win" or "lose" a debate with a guy like that; he just wants to play around and feel good about getting attention. It is sad that he must behave this way to feel better about himself, and he has my pity. I suppose there must be one or two like this lurking at every board. Funny how someone so dismissive of UFOs spends so much of his time posting so emotionally about them.

To any capable and adult skeptics posting here, I would be glad to have discussions with you. Currently, I agree with Ivan that Q is simply not worth debating, and I will ignore him from this point on.

Ivan, did you see the material I posted (which another poster at Whispers supplied) on the debunking of the Mike Hawkins video of the drone? I thought it was pretty effective and commendable debunking.

And while I'm at it, I'm wondering if anyone has discussed the Nellis footage around here lately.

Ives sez:

I agree with Ivan that Q is simply not worth debating, and I will ignore him from this point on.

Of course you're going to ignore me - I'm not willing to join your fantasy and that disturbs you. You fear me and anyone else not willing to jump on your bandwagon more then anything.

You are unable to respond to direct questions because quite simply, there is no reasonable response you can offer, and you know it. Therefore, there is no debate.

You and your pals seem more concerned with courteous responses then the actually matter at hand. Are you incinuating that this is the first time you've encountered someone who does not buy into your schtick?

It's time you thought about moving out of your parents basement.

Trial lawyer, indeed.

A bunch of whiny, self-deluded fanatics.

Originally posted by (Q)
2in

Have you been to Petit?s (crank) site? This guy appears to be a major crackpot. Did you know that your reference to magnetohyrodynamic effects is that of a neutron star?

So, when does Petit go into full production?
=============================================
My link was not to Petit's site. Whether he is a crank or not in his
work using magnetohyrodynamic modeling simulations has no connection to the case. Are you aware magnetohydrodynamic
(magnetohyrodynamic) similations are simply a method of modeling
used in fluid mechanics, plasma theory among others?

Ivan

Ivan,

There are two incidents I would be interested in discussing. First would be the Malmstrom incidents from both the 60s and 70s. What I would like to focus on is the nature of, and quality of corroborating evidence. I'm particularly interested in the instance of the missile shutdown, and whether or not a causal link should be inferred at all between the shutdown and the appearance of the UFO. By the way, on that subject I would highly recommend a book by Seattle journalist Terry Hansen, entitled "The Missing Times". Strictly speaking, it is not a UFO book, but examines the media treatment of the incidents at Malmstrom, specifically the difference between the local and national media. I wrote a review of that book at the Amazon site.

Second is the video allegedly smuggled out of the Nellis base. I've never quite known what to make of that. I've considered that it may be an elaborate hoax, although the video apparently includes tracking information and remarks can be heard in the background. A few years ago I found an excellent analysis of that video online, but that page has vanished. Since then, I've not really had the time to research it, but I'm interested in your impressions of that video.

Ives

Ives

Why not instead discuss something of value, like science, for example, as opposed to spreading propaganda, hyperbole and innuendo?

You might actally learn something.

What benefit do you gain from this interest? If all UFO claims turn out to be explained by terrestrial means, and most likely of an inconsequential nature, what exactly is so interesting?

How exactly do you define something as "of value", Q. Is your definition any more valid than ours? Is your definition of value limited only to things which offer some kind of short-term payoff or do you like the idea of investigating something unknown?

Science is in it's roots based not in profit, but in curiosity. The whole reason we aren't in caves anymore is that we started looking at things and wondered. We have as a species been staring at the stars as long as we have been able to see and since then, have also seen things in the sky we cannot explain.

This interest is as old as man, and will continue to be until it is solved to the satisfaction of everyone. No one aware of Astronomy for example questions that the Moon is round. We have been there, and brought back rocks from it. Before that, there wern't a lot of people with any kind of interest in what the Moon truly was. Astronaut Allan Bean remembered a childhood conversation with his father, in which his father said "Son, that is foolishness. Man will never reach the moon." His additude was basically, "There is no practical reason to even think about it."

A similar additude was given to the Belgian Mathmatician and Catholic Priest Georges Lemaitre, when he proposed in 1933 that the entire universe began in a primordial atom. Rather than review his case, he was highly critisized and accused of "forcing Genisis into science". In truth, his theory, more commonly known as the "Big Bang" theory, is now the foundation of cosmology.

If you decide this subject is not worth your time Q, that is fine. However, that does not give you the right to ridicule those who do. In the end it is really your loss.

Last edited:
Xevious

That truly was an inspiring post – I weep.

But you still did not make a convincing argument as to why anyone should be interested in chasing UFO stories with the ultimate goal of finding ET. What are the results?

First case scenario – you pour endless resources and funding into chasing down every report of a UFO and come to the conclusion they are of an Earthly nature, and are of no real interest to anyone.

Second case – you do the same as the above and find little or no explanation to UFO phenomenon and can find no direct evidence for ET - again, no real interest to anyone.

Third case – same as above, but now you find evidence of off-world activity on Earth, perhaps an alien artifact has been uncovered. Now you’ve peaked the interest of all concerned.

Fourth case – same as above, but now you and many others have come in direct contact with ET, you’ve shaken their hands (tentacles, etc.) and have traded business cards. Of course, the whole world is watching at this point.

The first two scenarios are pretty much what is happening today and has happened in the past, and have benefited no one. Nothing of any value to science or medicine or any other development has been a result of this activity. Please let me know what benefit, if any, you are aware?

The last two scenarios have not occurred. And those scenarios are based on whether ET wants us to find them, and if that is the case, they will simply land on the White House lawn, so to speak.

So, if ET wants us to meet them, all we have to do is go on about our lives and they will call us.

We need not spend oodles of money and pour much needed resources into trying to uncover every UFO story on the market.

Do you now understand why I continually ask believers, “What is the point and what benefit will this have for anyone?”

in post by Q:
?What is the point and what benefit will this have for anyone??
============================================

Q, this question is often asked of a lot of science, from astronomy
to space exploration. The answer is not always apparent at the
beginning of study, other than a quest for knowledge. You are
asking for speculation as to the benefit. The appearence of a
percieved UFO has been met with hostility and hysteria in the
past, generally because of a fear of the unknown. If they are
real and more is known about them, perhaps fascination and
tolerance will replace the hysteria and hostility. The speculation
would be maybe we could gain technology for our benefit under
such conditions.

Q, this question is often asked of a lot of science, from astronomy to space exploration.

There is a huge difference here – chasing UFO stories that attempt to produce aliens is NOT science. Why do think these topics are relegated to Pseudoscience – they fall into the same category as astrology, tarot, dowsing, flat earth society, etc.

If they (aliens) are real…

Herein lies the problem – too many people are drawn into the hype, they watch too much science fiction on TV, read the so-called reports offering ‘evidence’ of ET, and ultimately really, really want to believe that aliens exist.

The speculation would be maybe we could gain technology for our benefit under such conditions.

So, what new technologies have we found so far? How will chasing down UFO stories give us this technology? How will speculation of a radar blip on a screen advance our technologies?

I’m listening.

by Q:
The speculation would be maybe we could gain technology for our benefit under such conditions.

So, what new technologies have we found so far? How will chasing down UFO stories give us this technology? How will speculation of a radar blip on a screen advance our technologies?

I?m listening.
==============================================
Q, your level of reading comprehension borders on the moronic.
How will my tax dollars used to further your education lead to new
technologies to benefit mankind? What new technologies have
you found so far? I clearly used the words speculation and maybe
in that sentence, I did not claim knowledge of what has been "found
so far." Are you claiming to know all technologies, so you can definately rule out anything gained from the study of UFOs ?

But you still did not make a convincing argument as to why anyone should be interested in chasing UFO stories with the ultimate goal of finding ET. What are the results?

Excuse me, but I didn't say anything about the goal of UFO stories to be finding ET. Back up your claim, or get off the floor.

Do you now understand why I continually ask believers, “What is the point and what benefit will this have for anyone?”

Since you do not agree with us on wether or not there is any evidence to even begin asking the question and you have not calmed down and listened to any of the evidence presented elsewhere on this forum (or for that matter anywhere...), there is no point in answering your question since the facts are in dispute.

Why not go do some of your relaxing recreational drugs, eat a big bowl of brown, and enjoy your life? If this whole persuit is as pointless to you as you say it is, what is the point of you posting in here at all? Aren't you by your own reasoning a total idiot for even discussing this with us? Don't you have anything better to do with your time than badger UFO believers? If there is one thing I can't stand it's hippocracy.

Last edited:
Xevious

I didn't say anything about the goal of UFO stories to be finding ET.

Then, what IS the goal?

Since you do not agree with us on wether or not there is any evidence to even begin asking the question and you have not calmed down and listened to any of the evidence presented elsewhere on this forum

Au contraire – I’ve seen plenty of so-called evidence and have listened to and been involved in the arguments for and against. I’ve yet to see one single compelling argument in favor of the presented evidence.

…what is the point of you posting in here at all? Aren't you by your own reasoning a total idiot for even discussing this with us?

If you consider defending science pointless, then yes, I’m an idiot.

Are you claiming to know all technologies, so you can definately rule out anything gained from the study of UFOs ?

I’m not ruling anything out – I’m asking YOU, what new technologies have been gained in the study of UFOlogy?

The only thing I’m aware of is the advance in the art of crop-circle making.

How will my tax dollars used to further your education lead to new
technologies to benefit mankind?

Your tax dollars did not pay for my education – I did, with my hard earned money. And if I need more money, I raise it from private investors – I never dip the public trough. I’m a firm advocate of providing funding to research developments that will actually benefit mankind, medical research, for example.

What new technologies have you found so far?

Personally, I have developed a lawn seed that grows at a much slower rate then commercial products for those who hate to cut their lawns but still want a lush green lawn. I have never ‘worked’ for anyone but myself.

your level of reading comprehension borders on the moronic.

Perhaps it is your writing skills that require attention. One should be able to write something clearly enough for any moron to understand. ;)

Back