Hello Board!

However, it is false to say that NO evidence exist for this ET explanation. Tens of thousands of personal accounts surely are evidence; though not scientific evidence.

Tens of thousands of personal accounts, yet not one shred of hard evidence has ever come to light. Curious.

How many of those so-called personal accounts actually knew what it was they saw?

So does this end what we can say about the subject?

One would hope so but unfortunately, the believers can’t let go. They are obsessed almost to the point of onomatomania. It is really very sad.

Have you joined them, Ivan?

Originally posted by (Q)
Tens of thousands of personal accounts, yet not one shred of hard evidence has ever come to light. Curious.
What qualifies as "hard" evidence?
There are documented sightings dating back to the Sumerians. The reliability of the sightings from then to now is of course open to question. But how much scientific study has been done on these claims of UFO sightings? Not much if any I would imagine.
The prevailing attitude towards sightings seems to be "That's highly unlikely/improbable therefore they must be either hallucinating, stupid or lying".
How many of those so-called personal accounts actually knew what it was they saw?
I thought that when someone claimed to see an Unexplained Flying Object, the claim was just that, that they don't know. Just because they then claim it was aliens doesn't invalidate what they have seen.
One would hope so but unfortunately, the believers can’t let go. They are obsessed almost to the point of onomatomania. It is really very sad.
Some would seem obsessed at debunking claims of UFOs without any objective reasoning. It really is very sad:D

Logix24
I think I may have seen a few UFO's in my life.
The first, while having a cigarette in my brother's garden, I looked up at the stars (I always have done so) and noticed one, brighter than most, moving fast across the sky. I called my b/f to come outside, he did, and we watched the 'UFO' move across the sky in a straight line, turn on the spot, and travel in the opposite direction in an erratic fashion, but also twice the speed of before. This was above Blackpool in the NW of England.
Since moving to the South of England, I have seen the same or similar, up to six times in one night of watching, some of these have been alone, but most have been while with another person!

Inta'twalamayah
I think I might of seen a UFO other night...
I was walking to the store down the street, and I look up and I see a bright bright white shinging star, seemed close for a star yet far away enuff to not be a plane. Thought it might of been the north star cuz I was headed in that direction. But as I look at it it starts getting smaller and smaller like it was flying away. That eventually it just disappeared. It wasnt moving left or right just moving further away. And it was too high to be a plane and too bright to be a normal plane for me to see it like a star close to earth

slim
well, I've seen them, and what I saw was real and NOT manmade. the first time was at dusk dark and my parents and I watched them in space for about twenty minutes doing all kinds of fast zipping manuvers and doing deadstops and them blurring from horizon to Horizon and back, never arching or curving, simply defying all known laws. that was in the Sixties when there were a rash of sightings.

tablariddim
But the other one that I saw over London 20 years ago was definetely suspect. It was night time and I noticed this speck of light very high in the sky, travelling horizontally across it at a pretty fair pace. I stood there and followed its path with my eyes until suddenly, it made an instantaneous 90 (sic) degree turn to the vertical and shot away into space at a greatly accelerated speed! Alien? Probably.

kazakhan
I had been spotting satellites on & off for a few nights. One night I seen one appear in the SE travelling North, just after it crossed my position so to speak it's velocity slowed to about 5% of it's previous velocity instantly! Then it stopped dead for a few seconds before back tracking a little bit then looped 3x in the horizontal, (loops took about 2-3 secs, fist size loops if you held your arm up to the sky) stopped again & faded as if moving away from earth. I've seen a few others too...
Quotes taken from Have you seen U.F.O.'s?
These sightings share a common theme and I'm sure many more people could be found that have seen very similar things. Now would you label us all as crack-pots or could you look at the evidence objectively? What in your opinion is going on?

Q and the board

Sorry Q, but your claim to the rational high ground is simply that, a claim and no more. I've just had to time to read through the thread of responses to my original post, and noted the tone and lack of content of yours. Frankly, many of us out here would enjoy a good debate with a true skeptic who has reviewed the data and concluded that all UFOs have prosaic explanations. Such a skeptic would have seen the data that suggests otherwise, acknowledge it and have articulable reasons for his or her conclusions. You, on the other hand, seem to think that condescension is a substitute for rational thought and debate. Please take no offense; I have no idea who you really are. But your approach suggests fear or weakness in your position. Thus your falling back on tired anti-empirical dogma.

There appear to be others here ready to engage in actual conversation. As time allows, I will be back. For now, court beckons and I must go.

Ives

Ivan

The 'fanatic believer' usually never responds to direct questions - thanks for that.

Kaz

What qualifies as "hard" evidence?

An alien, for example.

But how much scientific study has been done on these claims of UFO sightings? Not much if any I would imagine.

And hopefully, that remains the course of action. The less done to accommodate the UFO nutters, the better.

Just because they then claim it was aliens doesn't invalidate what they have seen.

No, but it is the claim of aliens that is in question. What leads one to that conclusion?

Now would you label us all as crack-pots or could you look at the evidence objectively?

There is no evidence to view objectively. And I would label them nutters and loons. Crackpots are the ones with pet theories.

What in your opinion is going on?

Imaginations running wild – the ‘I-can’t-explain-what-I-saw-so-it-must-be-an-alien’ nonsense.

Ives

Sorry Q, but your claim to the rational high ground is simply that, a claim and no more.

As opposed to what, the irrational low ground?

noted the tone and lack of content of yours.

Again, as opposed to the “content” from believers?

Frankly, many of us out here would enjoy a good debate with a true skeptic who has reviewed the data and concluded that all UFOs have prosaic explanations.

Believers could care less what skeptics think. Why should anyone bother wasting his or her time chasing every ridiculous claim of a UFO? What benefit do you propose will come from such action?

You, on the other hand, seem to think that condescension is a substitute for rational thought and debate.

As I mentioned before, the armies of believers who pass through this and other forums become excruciatingly tiresome rehashing the same things over and over. Most never bother to do a search to find out what has already been discussed, ad nauseum.

What, in your opinion, is rational about aliens visiting Earth?

Could it be the hide-and-seek games they are allegedly playing with us? They certainly have gone to a lot of trouble to visit without saying hello, don’t ya think?

But your approach suggests fear or weakness in your position. Thus your falling back on tired anti-empirical dogma.

What exactly is your definition of ‘tired anti-empirical dogma?’

Do you actually think I am in fear of believers and the nonsense they spout?

There appear to be others here ready to engage in actual conversation.

Yes, other believers. The rational crowd may spend a little time with you but will soon give up trying to reason with the believers.

I'm sure you and your pals have gone through all of this before on other forums. Most likely, they are ignoring you, thus you've found new hunting grounds here.

The cycle continues.

Ivan

The 'fanatic' believer' uses repitition in a vain attempt to wear down their opponents and then claim victory.

Last edited:
I find it fascenating that Q has stated that there is no case for ET visitation, and yet can find no scientific studies to substantiate his claim. As a skeptic he is failing miserably.

"Extraterrestrial Visitiation is False".

Back it up. I will say flat out that we believers do NOT have the "overwhelming" proof to back our claim as positively true. However, as a skeptic making the claim that the phenomenon DOES NOT exist, you have a burdon of proof also. If you cannot follow through with scientific methodology, your claim is just as unscientific as you claim ours to be. At least WE are continuing to look for poof of our claim, have turned up some circumstantial evidence which leaves the question open, and are willing to say it is not yet proven.

I await your ultimate, HARD evidence that proves once and for all that ET visitiation is not real.

Xevious

I await your ultimate, HARD evidence that proves once and for all that ET visitiation is not real.

So, turning it around so that I must prove a negative somehow validates the case for ET?

And I am to come up with hard evidence to show that something does not exist?

Shame on you – you should know by now that it is the believers making the claims and that they are the ones who are required to produce hard evidence to show ET exists. They are doing little more then peeing into the wind.

If you cannot follow through with scientific methodology

The methodology would have me examining some evidence, like an alien or an artifact, for example. Have you such evidence for me to examine?

No one cares what Farmer Bill saw one night while out walking in his cornfields. No one cares about an insignificant blip on a radar screen. That type of so-called evidence is useless and proves nothing.

Q, you can stick your head in the sand like an ostrich and claim there
is no evidence for you to see, but you do realize your big ass is exposed for the rest of the world to see when such tactics are taken?

So, the believers cannot provide a shred of evidence and it’s my fault for not seeing the evidence they cannot provide – how brilliant!

Have you ever thought about working as a spin doctor?

Q, what I mean is you CLAIM there is not a shread evidence, then
refuse to look at what is available. Granted, there is no hard evidence
in the public domain, but there is much circumstancial evidence. The
following is only a small part.
======================================
On the afternoon of January 8, 1981, a strange craft landed on a farm near the village of Trans-en-Provence in the Var region in southeastern France. Physical traces left on the ground were collected by the Gendarmerie within 24 hours and later analyzed in several French government laboratories. Extensive evidence of anomalous activity was detected.

The case was investigated by the Groupe d'Etudes des Phénomènes Aérospatiaux Non-identifiés (GEPAN), or Unidentified Aerospace Phenomena Study Group, established in 1977 within the National Center for Space Studies (CNES) in Toulouse, the French counterpart of NASA. (The functions of GEPAN were reorganized in 1988 into the Service d'Expertise des Phénomènes de Rentrées Atmosphériques or SEPRA). The primary investigator was Jean-Jacques Velasco, the current head of SEPRA.
==================================================
In a technical report published in the Journal of Scientific Exploration, Bounias concluded that: "It was not the aim of the author to identify the exact nature of the phenomenon observed on the 8th of January 1981 at Trans-en-Provence. But it can reasonably be concluded that something unusual did occur that might be consistent, for instance, with an electromagnetic source of stress. The most striking coincidence is that at the same time, French physicist J.P. Petit was plotting the equations that led, a few years later (Petit, 1986), to the evidence that flying objects could be propelled at very high speeds without turbulence nor shock waves using the magnetohydrodynamic effects of Laplace force action!"
http://www.ufoarea.bravepages.com/encounters_1981_france.html

Whew! I can see that Q is a handful. While I don't wish to engage in a debate solely on Q's terms, I will reply to a few of his statements. I have to say that it is amusing to see his outright hostility to any position but his own. Let's take a few of his (or her) statements and examine them for merit.

Believers could care less what skeptics think. Why should anyone bother wasting his or her time chasing every ridiculous claim of a UFO? What benefit do you propose will come from such action?

First, you are overly general in your terms. I was careful in my introductory post to point out that I don't feel that the evidence justifies a leap to the ETH as an answer to the core identity of UFOs. It is one possible answer. Yet, you characterize all who disagree with you as "believers". What is it, exactly, that you presume I believe? I suppose it is easier for you to assign beliefs to me and respond to those than to the actual content of my posts. And that, Q, says more about the weakness of your position than it does about mine.

Believers could care less what "skeptics" think? I disagree. We should probably clarify our terms again. I regard myself as a skeptic; any truly critical thinker is a skeptic. I also tend to believe that an extremely high percentage of UFO sightings have prosaic explanations. I think there is a difference between a skeptic and a debunker, however. To debunk is to expose the falseness of something. So debunking carries with it a pre-disposition of the falseness of the phenomenon. This is just what I called it; a predisposition or bias, and is thus inherently anti-empirical. And an anti-empirical method has little chance of finding the truth. Yet to give credit where credit is due, debunkers have succesfully pointed out hoaxes and misidentifications many times, so they contribute a valuable service to the study of UFOs. The problem is determining when a debunker crosses the line from true critical examination of an incident to building a case to support their predisposed conclusion. That line is most often crossed in truly compelling incidents in which they appear to be compelled to offer something, anything , to appease the public.

As for why anyone would waste time chasing ridiculous claims of UFOs, well, I for one don't. You again generalize. Like many others, I use judgment in deciding what incidents are worth my attention. I am interested in the world around me, and find the UFO phenomenon intriguing. You pretend that the case for the UFO rises or falls on the existence of an alien ashtray or body, because that suits your argument. Like many things in life, the study of the UFO is more complicated than that. If you are familiar with the subject at all, you would know that the evidence includes not just the UFO incidents themselves, but our government's and media's responses to them. The entire history of UFOs in this country is a conflicted one, in which even government-sponsored studies had internal conflicts in which stafferswere actually leaning towards the ETH. Would you argue that the reactions of the military, intelligence and other governmental insitutions are irrelevant in a search for the truth?

What, in your opinion, is rational about aliens visiting Earth? Could it be the hide-and-seek games they are allegedly playing with us? They certainly have gone to a lot of trouble to visit without saying hello, don’t ya think?

I have not advocated that aliens are visiting the Earth. It is obvious now that you, like many debunkers, have some reason to vehemently discount the UFO, so you must construct the arguments of your opponents for them in order to shoot them down. So yes, I do think you are "in fear of the believers and the nonsense they shoot", as you put it. To address your specific question, I am aware of the practical challenges that interstellar flight presents. I also know that "science" as an institution has been telling us many things were impossible for a long, long time, and that often, science was wrong. Moreover, people more scientifically educated than I have concluded that such travel is not an impossibility. Perhaps you should read Unconventional Flying Objects by Paul Hill. Perhaps you should address why American tax dollars are at this moment examining exotic propulsion systems in the hopes of one day reaching the stars, if it is so irrational. Again, I do not advance the argument that genuine UFOs are occupied by aliens, because I've seen no direct evidence for that. I would argue that a small percentage of UFO incidents do not appear to represent human technology, but do appear to be intelligently operated or directed. If an object is under intelligent control but not of human origin, I suppose the intelligence behind it, regardless of core nature, could be termed "alien". There are endless possibilities that we could enjoy discussing, but you deny yourself that. Who knows, perhaps a point may come in which artificial intelligence on Earth exceeds human capabilities and finds itself at the top of the pecking order. If that is so, then perhaps other cultures in other star systems have also evolved into artificial intelligence. And if so, perhaps such intelligence visits us now. Would I argue there is evidence for that? No. But if we see evidence of non-human intelligence, what then? Do we simply ignore it, as you appear to support, or do we at least try to engage in thougtful speculation about it? Which is more in our interest as a species?

As for your question about hide and seek games, it is you who have anthropomporphized the "aliens", not me. You have also engaged in characterizing the behavior of aliens, or UFOs, or whatever you are talking about in overly general terms, as usual. Are you talking about abductions, sightings, radar cases, what? Clearly you want to engage on this subject. But your vagueness and over-generalizations are a waste of time. You need to do some homework and then come back prepared to talk in more specific terms.

Q needs to be examined for what he is actually doing here. Consider his exchange with Kaz from agove:

"But how much scientific study has been done on these claims of UFO sightings? Not much if any I would imagine.

And hopefully, that remains the course of action. The less done to accommodate the UFO nutters, the better."

Less study is a good thing? Let's be honest here, Q does not represent a point of view interested in honest exchange. Q is here to disrupt and invalidate the subject matter.

Or consider this statement:

"So, the believers cannot provide a shred of evidence and it’s my fault for not seeing the evidence they cannot provide – how brilliant!"

Phil Klass uses this tactic when he makes statements like - there is not a shred of evidence that UFOs are alien spacecraft. I paraphrased that - but the point is to use careful phrasing to frame the argument in terms of whether there is evidence that UFOs are actually alien spacecraft. If someone is advancing that there is hard evidence that UFOs are alien spacecraft, I would agree; the evidence is slim and the conclusion relies heavily on speculation. To me, the point is not to prove the existence of alien spacecraft. The quest is to determine the core identity behind the true UFO. For some reason, people like Q don't like that quest and mock it. The methodology he imploys is to ignore data and instead ask us to accept his beliefs instead of looking at the actual data. Does that sound empirical?

Originally posted by (Q)
‘I-can’t-explain-what-I-saw-so-it-must-be-an-alien’.

Q, nowhere on this thread have I seen anyone but you make this statement. Quite frankly, you are the only one here who is sounding like a 'nutter', as you so aptly put it. Your childish anger is glaringly apparent.

Nice posts Ives, and I have often considered that 'proof ' of UFOs will be finally determined in the courtroom ( probably in a defamation case...).

Like the pyramids, I see UFOs as a fact that we must work backwards from to try to understand. I have spent many hours observing the phenomena, and yes, the materialisations, right hand turns etc are quite real, but for me it is the 'arrival' of the craft that intrigues the most. One second there's nothing, the next second it's there, starting up a full blown propulsion system. There is no sense of a craft getting closer as if flying from 'another planet'. It just 'comes in'. And then just as easily will disappear. The more I think about it, the more I feel the craft are here all the time, but usually invisible to us. I guess it could be called another dimension, differentiated by a different 'vibratory rate' to our own? Aliens? Well, unless humans can disappear, that has to be considered as a serious possibility especially in light of the many witness and abductee reports.

So, turning it around so that I must prove a negative somehow validates the case for ET?

I said flat out in my post that believers don't have the evidence in hand to solidify their case. However, what I AM saying is that you are bound to the same standard of evidence, since you have made a claim. You cannot win by "default" and neither can I. You also should remember that loosing and not winning are not the same thing.

All you can say in the end as a skeptic is "I cannot validate your findings." That is FINE. But when you state that "Your hypothesis is false" you are making a counter-claim and at this point must follow the same scientific methodology and the same standards of evidence you are holding me to.

No one cares what Farmer Bill saw one night while out walking in his cornfields. No one cares about an insignificant blip on a radar screen. That type of so-called evidence is useless and proves nothing.

What it does prove is that there is something occuring which is not explained, and not known. That is all it proves. When someone says they believe it was an ET, they are stating an opinion. When someone states that "It WAS an ET" they are making a claim. When someone states that they don't believe it was an ET, they are stating an opinion. When someone states that it WAS NOT an ET, they are making a claim. This is not spin-doctoring, this is the english language.

Last edited:
Back