• CONTROLLER OF THE WORLD.

Votes: 4 13.8%
  • NOTHING OR A WILD IMAGINATION OF HUMANS

Votes: 13 44.8%
  • NONE OF THE ABOVE OR CANT SAY

Votes: 12 41.4%

• Total voters
God is something allright

Murders, wars, 9-11, Hiroshima, Pearl Harbor, Nazis, Communists, rapists, killers, horror, yea god is something allright, for such a supposed to be benevolent being, he sure as hell lets a lot of EVIL happen.

so what he is or it is it's evil!!.

Re: God is something allright

Originally posted by Godless
Murders, wars, 9-11, Hiroshima, Pearl Harbor, Nazis, Communists, rapists, killers, horror, yea god is something allright, for such a supposed to be benevolent being, he sure as hell lets a lot of EVIL happen.

so what he is or it is it's evil!!.

Yes. that's right. God sometimes let evil happen. God even create satan to tempt human doing evil. Because life is a test. Humanity value is when we have control against evil and passion.

Blonde Cupid ...,

O.K. - I can see that I'm very tired right now and I need some rest. If this comes across as nonsense, I apologize and I'll try to make more sense the next time.
It's hardly nonsense; in fact, it makes quite a bit of sense and merely points toward a fundamental difference 'twixt people's notions of God. As your footnote notes, whatever that power may be.

The hitch I trip over comes when the notion of God is reduced, say, to a book. In the greater scheme of the power of God to comfort, it seems almost arbitrary, and to seek an issue here is to chase after an underlying notion of consistency in one's faith.

For instance, you and I have certain points of agreement 'twixt us in this topic; that I cannot apply that sense of agreement to those points upon which I disagree extends toward the fundamental notions of faith that we (general) fight tooth and nail about here at Sciforums. In the long run, the narrow aspect of the van Dam case points me toward that comfort that the family has expressed. But in terms of notions of God--consider the topic poll, for instance--I find it irreconcilable that God causes positive and negative outcomes as such without my expected consideration of the reasons for faith in this God. (e.g. blackmail and other concepts we shouldn't waste time on here)

I have, however, taken note of your words, Blonde Cupid, when you note, When I cried out, it was not done through faith but in desperation. In the immediate, please understand that I understand, sympathize, and even agree to the point that I shan't argue the point. But to take the broader picture, where do we turn in moments of desperation?

If, then, God is manifest in the efforts of the community to save one child--and of events for God to invest itself, this is worthy--then what of the rules, dogma, and proscriptions placed upon God by specific faith?

In the sense of what God is (per topic post), we must examine the idea of what one refers to when one refers to God. Certes, as your example points out, faith says that God is something, and of degrees more substantial than faith I will not argue. But when Blonde Cupid, for instance, offers us a testament that may represent God's participation in an event, we must consider the notion of God at play. Shall we at Sciforums agree by convention that your God is not represented in the Bible? I raise this issue for a simple reason:

• As notions of God often run soul-deep, I am applying your stance in defense of the Biblical portrayal of God as a telling aspect toward your concept of God.
• As I find that notion of God reduced and limiting, I am curious then how it plays in the larger scheme of life (e.g. considerations of other missing children)
• Thus I hope to understand the consistent nature of God in relation to human trauma and trial in such a manner as is expressed. For instance:
• In the case of God's intervention in the case of your ward, or, as my counterexample has it, of My Lady's intervention in our excursion to LoCal, how does that notion/entity (e.g. God) explain the selectivity of the human treasure? We return to a legend of two souls arriving in heaven ....

If one says to me, for example, that something is God's will, I have a measure by which that summation, God's will applies. Though it is a bit like giving directions at this point. "Go a little ways past the gas station and look for a left turn ...." We might presume that the left turn is an obvious point in the journey, for a little ways past the gas station is a touch subjective. So in this manner is the idea of God's will. And thus, according to the faith by which one prescribes the best of human compassion they can afford, we must examine what that compassion brings. Does God involve itself in wars? Or, as Godless points out: Murders, wars, 9-11, Hiroshima, Pearl Harbor, Nazis, Communists, rapists, killers, horror ....

In the immediate sense, I tend to leave people to their faith. But faith in God has a tremendous effect on human conduct; Godless pointed out 9/11, and Dubya has made it about God, too. To the other, the van Dam family takes comfort in God .... The latter I won't argue, but when the latter has an effect on the former, I am compelled to seek the chance to understand how that effect manifests.

We can point out what a god does for a person; this is a testament to human faith if nothing else. But the idea of what that god is, and what it holds true, strikes more toward the heart of the current exploration.

Understand, please, Blonde Cupid, it's not a matter of arguing but that you've offered a wonderful springboard from which to leap headlong into the sea of what God is.

And, believe it or not, as such ... I thank you for it.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

blonde_cupid,

God is something, alright.

A minor female in my care went missing recently. Local police wouldn't even file the report before 24 hours had passed. Frustrated and frantic, on my way home from the police station, I screamed outloud...

Oh, GOD, where IS she???!!!

I heard the name of a town and a street I'd never been to before. I drove the 30 minutes to that town, found her car on that street and called the local police. After they heard how I found the car, they canvassed the neighborhood with her picture and found her locked up in an apartment with the man who abducted her from a mall parking lot.

Apparently, God knows what he had intended to do with her.
I have enormous difficulty with your post and claim. I saw this earlier and have not quite known how to react.

Firstly, I don’t believe your story, but I don’t see you as an outright liar either.

In similar stories I have seen where divine intervention is claimed, upon closer scrutiny there are usually discovered three basic major factors. The first is that vital details are conveniently omitted, secondly, exaggeration is present, and thirdly, an element of self-delusion.

In short, I don’t believe you are telling the full story, and you are adding bias either deliberately or subconsciously because of your faith that you believe in so deeply.

I question your wisdom in posting such a story, and I now have difficulty in knowing how best to judge any subsequent posts you might make.

Sorry but I do not find your claim credible, despite the seriousness of the issue, for which I sympathize.

Cris

Cris

On those occasions that I have been witness or party to events which defy odds in a manner that compels some to suggest superstitious intervention, I rely on Han Solo ... Never tell me the odds.

For me, it's not a matter of odds necessitating gods.

Rather, at some point it will occur to me to take up gambling. And faith (extrapolations of objective data sets) tells me that this would be a bad, bad thing. ;)

thanx,

Hi tiassa,

You remind me of my work. I frequently have to deal with large quantities of statistical data. As standard we only ever take the 90th percentile. We know that there is always a set of results that are at the extreme ranges of our random sets.

I guess I have no problem accepting that coincidences do occur, and that events against the odds do occur. The supernatural should always be the last thing to consider if ever.

But I will admit I admired your posts here and your perspective on blonde’s post.

Take care
Cris

Cris,

I fully appreciate and understand your skepticism and I am not even going to attempt to try and convince you of the truth. The event cannot be reproduced or verified. All you have is my word and since that is not good enough for you then so be it. No hard feelings.

tiassa,

Speaking of odds, there is another situation which I learned about a couple of days ago after meeting someone who I hadn't seen for twenty years. As a matter of fact, I was shocked when I saw him because I thought he was dead. A few years ago, I heard through a mutual acquaintance that this fellow had recurring brain cancer and had been given only a few months to live. I'm sorry to admit that I didn't make any effort to contact him when I heard about his impending death. Honestly, I never liked the guy and I couldn't stand being in his company.

He told me that he had gone through a number of surgeries. One invasive open-skull and two gamma-knife. After the last one, the cancer came back as it had before and the doctors told him that there was nothing else they could do for him. At that point, he thought it would be best if he spent as much time as possible at home with his wife and his grandchildren who his wife watches during the day. It was not long before his wife tired of his constant presence and informed him that he needed to get a hobby of his own. So, he said that he delved heavily into model planes, trains, etc... for a while, but had this nagging feeling that "something" was missing. Then, he said, it hit him. He needed to go to church.

"Church!?" was his wife's response. "Yeah... Church." he said he told her. He went on to say that although he used to go with his family when he was a kid, his wife was surprised because during their 32 years of marriage they had never been to church. After she realized that he was serious, she asked him what church he wanted to go to. He told her that he didn't care and asked her to just pick a local church out of the yellow pages. So, she did... and off to church they went that Sunday.

"You know me," he said. "I've always been kind of a [male] chauvinist." "Yeah," I said hesitantly. (One of the things I didn't like about him was that he was one of the most chauvinistic people I'd ever met.) Well... "Wouldn't you know it," he said... out of all the churches his wife had to pick from, the pastor of the church which his wife picked out of the yellow pages turned out to be a *gasp* WOMAN! (Divine justice? Divine comedy? :) ) But, he said, he decided to put his pride aside and give her the benefit of the doubt. What a guy, huh?

Anyway, he said that when he first met with the pastor, she asked him what brought him to the congregation. He told her his story of woe about his brain cancer and said that he was going to die soon. She invited him to speak with her in private and he agreed. She then asked him what his prognosis was and he told her that he would be losing his vision, speech and motor functions soon and that he would be dead within two-to-four months. Much to his surprise, she asked, "Why?" So, he explained his medical condition again. The pastor told him that she had heard him the first time. Then she asked him, "But why are you going to die? Do you WANT to die?" He told her, no... that he didn't WANT to die but that he didn't have a choice. She told him that he did have a choice. That he could pray to God, that God's will be done, not the doctors' and not his. He went on to tell the pastor that he wasn't even sure if there really was a God. Besides, even if there was, he told her that he was not a very good person most of his life. "Why would God spare me?" he asked. "Because our God is a very forgiving God," she said.

To make a long story even longer, he took her advice and prayed. After a year had passed and he was still alive, feeling good both physically and spiritually, he felt that he needed to give something back to God. So, he approached the pastor to ask her if there was anything he could do and she told him that there was...

He has been teaching Sunday School in the small but growing congregation for the past two years now. He is a changed man who beat the odds. He said that his doctors call him a "miracle" because they expected him to have been dead thirty-eight months ago, at the latest. Instead, he is alive and feels that he has a great purpose in life. He says that he loves all the kids he teaches (nearly 100) and continues to ask God for forgiveness and prays that God's will be done.

Faith aside, he was most pleasant to be around the other day.

Faith aside ...

Faith aside, it must be God, right?

thanx,

Originally posted by blonde_cupid
Cris,

I fully appreciate and understand your skepticism and I am not even going to attempt to try and convince you of the truth. The event cannot be reproduced or verified. All you have is my word and since that is not good enough for you then so be it. No hard feelings.

I am still waiting for your answer. I don't think that you lied but we do like to verify your story. If there was a kidnaping and if the police did get the outside assitance or not. I don't see why you don't want to share that info. You could send me private message if you don't want to publicly announce it. The way you avoided the question really makes me think that there is no truth in your story or you are hiding something.
You kinda did sound like Truthseeker in his "Lessons for Christians" thread. Where Jesus came to him.
Thanks.

tiassa,

***Faith aside ...
Faith aside, it must be God, right?***

Faith aside, he's tapped into something... some unseen energy if you will... which, as far as I know, cannot itself be measured. By my subjective measure and the apparent objective measure of his doctors, though, said energy has affected him in an extraordinarily positive manner. Despite his grave physical condition, the something that he has tapped into has not only given him an extended life, it has given him a new and improved lease on life.

yes, I do beleive in existence of tht universal energy*, but I also beleive tht it has no conscience as christians want it to have. It' s just the "green energy of life" and n-thing religious to it.

*Disclaimer. this is only my presumption and I have no real facts to back it up.

Cheers!

Inadequacy of inconsistency

Faith aside, he's tapped into something... some unseen energy if you will... which, as far as I know, cannot itself be measured. By my subjective measure and the apparent objective measure of his doctors, though, said energy has affected him in an extraordinarily positive manner. Despite his grave physical condition, the something that he has tapped into has not only given him an extended life, it has given him a new and improved lease on life
One of the things I haven't commented on yet is the difference in regards between highj and low religions and magicks. I started on it last night in reply to Cris but couldn't keep it tied to relevance so I scrapped it.

The fault of low magick and religion of course being the number of old superstitions which must be pushed by the wayside. Low religion is what a people resort to when they simply do not understand something, e.g. "fire gods". High religion (e.g. redemptive dogmatism), on the other hand, focuses on distracting details; the religions can be so exacting that they require a lifetime to fulfil or fail. The symptom that I always attribute to high religion is that the adherents simply aren't trying hard enough.

Thus we have comforts based on snippets of "God's widsom", evils attributed ot myth and not their actual cause, and a growing sense of division as people compete for God's favor in search of their own salvation.

In the end, where people do not try hard enough, is a matter of understanding such as we have before us. That your associate has endured a violation of odds is without question; as I noted to Cris, though, defiance of odds does not bring recognitions of the preternatural but practical matters, such as gambling. To write the amazing processes of nature as a miracle of God is to cease seeking miracles, and to rely on them.

By subjective measures, yes, but we cannot say that he has tapped anything without quantifying it. As it is, disease, like drugs, behaves differently in each person. A man once died of asphyxiation when there was plenty of oxygen; trapped in a rail car, he simply believed he was doomed, and thus he was doomed. Buddhist tradition tells stories of regeneration; Sufi tales speak proudly of healings and other miracles.

Without a dogmatic godhead, then, these seeming miracles compel us to explain them. Scientific inquiry sometimes works and sometimes doesn't. But the bottom line is that such inquiries have a better chance of exploiting progress than writing such events to the limited god of any faith. It is only by faith that such occasions fall into the realm of the divine or supernatural. And in this case, to employ an unquantified process to justify the presence of God merely signifies that nobody has quantified the process, which is what I mean when I say people aren't trying hard enough.

To simply share the healing power of the Book is inadequate. If miracles occurred regularly, then perhaps. But the will of God is such that one should be saved and another should be lost, sacrificed, or called to something better bespeaks an aspect of the the faith which cananot be reconciled. Notions of cruel taskmater gods, of sadist overlords, of blackmail and indecency, arise from the demands of such a faith that would discard progress and knowledge for faith. As you note:
hen she asked him, "But why are you going to die? Do you WANT to die?" He told her, no... that he didn't WANT to die but that he didn't have a choice. She told him that he did have a choice. That he could pray to God, that God's will be done, not the doctors' and not his. He went on to tell the pastor that he wasn't even sure if there really was a God. Besides, even if there was, he told her that he was not a very good person most of his life. "Why would God spare me?" he asked. "Because our God is a very forgiving God," she said.
Strangely, we only hear of these occasions when faith proves out. In this sense, I'm left with two notions. First is a sense of inaccuracy, of deception as people exclude the failures of faith, as such. The second is the idea that the pastors and preachers only give such advice on occasions that it works, in which case their evangelism is severely reserved, given the number of times we hear about it. This, of course,implies that pastors would only entreat people to faith if they could statistically predict a successful result, and such is not in evidence. After all, how often do we hear preachers giving testaments of consequences: "The Lord moved me to entreat Charlie to believe in Him, but his faith was weak and so the Lord left him to die." .

Don't hear it much, do we? But what am I thinking? God loves us ....

And that's why such testaments fail to move people. One must already be predisposed to this form of worship or superstition for such testaments to be effective.

thanx much,

Markx,

***I don't think that you lied but we do like to verify your story.***

Again, I am curious at to who you are refering to when you say "we" would like to verify your story. (Not that the answer would compel me to disclose the details, mind you). I have no idea who "you" or "we" are... no idea what you would actually do with the information and no basis for trusting that the information would be used in a responsible manner.

The difficulty with details in this situation is that, no matter how much detail I give you, the fact that I heard what I heard cannot be verified. To disclose details in a crime involving a teen victim, a minor, would be irresponsible on my part. It could potentially put her at additional risk and that is something that I am not willing to do. So, in that respect, you are right. I am hiding something - her identity, for one.

Markx,

I agree with Blonde_cupid on this. B_Cs privacy is at stake here and we must accept what B_C is prepared to offer. If it was easily reproducible and/or the circumstances were less traumatic then perhaps we could pursue this. The issue is not really the abduction but whether B_C received a message from God. And further details about the incident are not likely to help answer that question. We only have B_Cs claim and we can either choose to believe that or not.

So I recommend we drop this since I can’t see that we can make any further progress.

Markx, Would you agree?

Cris

Originally posted by Cris
Markx,

I agree with Blonde_cupid on this. B_Cs privacy is at stake here and we must accept what B_C is prepared to offer. If it was easily reproducible and/or the circumstances were less traumatic then perhaps we could pursue this. The issue is not really the abduction but whether B_C received a message from God. And further details about the incident are not likely to help answer that question. We only have B_Cs claim and we can either choose to believe that or not.

So I recommend we drop this since I can’t see that we can make any further progress.

Markx, Would you agree?

Cris

Yes I agree, I guess you two are right. But I never asked for the identity of the minor or to provide me any seceret information. I only asked the town name or city. And when I say 'we'. It means we as our department. There are people from Police to FBI and who knows some other goverment agencies. I am a student of strategic defence studies and work with different goverment and security agencies to learn the modern theories behind different conflicts all around the world. And No religion is not my first major I just happened to be convert so It always interest me alot. But Anyways I understand your concerns.

Godless,

***Murders, wars, 9-11, Hiroshima, Pearl Harbor, Nazis, Communists, rapists, killers, horror, yea god is something allright, for such a supposed to be benevolent being, he sure as hell lets a lot of EVIL happen.***

What benefit do you see in evil taking place in a Godless world?

tiassa,

***But when Blonde Cupid, for instance, offers us a testament that may represent God's participation in an event, we must consider the notion of God at play. Shall we at Sciforums agree by convention that your God is not represented in the Bible?***

I believe that God* is represented in the Bible, among other places.

***I raise this issue for a simple reason:

• As notions of God often run soul-deep, I am applying your stance in defense of the Biblical portrayal of God as a telling aspect toward your concept of God.***

For me, God* is personified through Jesus Christ which heavily influences my concept of God* and gives me an avenue, if you will, to communicate with God*. I realize, however, that it is not the same for everyone.

***• As I find that notion of God reduced and limiting, I am curious then how it plays in the larger scheme of life (e.g. considerations of other missing children)
• Thus I hope to understand the consistent nature of God in relation to human trauma and trial in such a manner as is expressed. For instance:
• In the case of God's intervention in the case of your ward, or, as my counterexample has it, of My Lady's intervention in our excursion to LoCal, how does that notion/entity (e.g. God) explain the selectivity of the human treasure?***

I don't expect God* to be consistent in the manner which you seem to be looking for. Each individual is unique in form and function - each contributing uniquely to the whole - and, in that respect, since our lives are not consistent I do not expect consistent outcomes to our seemingly similar circumstances. I accept God*'s will - whatever it might be on any given day.

***We return to a legend of two souls arriving in heaven ....***

However, I do expect a universally consistent outcome resulting from God*'s intervention in the world through the body of Jesus Christ - as explicitly promised.

Back