God Is Self-contradictory. Hence, God Doesn’t Exist.

Status
Not open for further replies.
:cool:

lightgigantic: “…Congratulations once again - you have just described the nature of material existence - you only run into problems when you apply the same "logic" to transcendental existence…….”.

Re: I would certainly congratulate myself, when I make a rational well-behaved theologian out of you! Of course, you run into problems when you apply the rules of logic to God. That is the reason why the concept of God is illogical and absurd and contradictory; and hence God cannot exist.

lightgigantic: “…...BUt you accept your own existence as a prototype for god's existence - you are contradictory from the first instance (unless of course your real issue is not the logical nature of god but the established authorities that define god - it certainly explains why you insist on accepting a polytheistic paradigm for your weird ideas)………”.

Re: You know? Sometimes, you don’t appear that oblivious to the rules! A position like your is logically untenable. So what can be done in such a situation? Well, one can see the light and embrace the truth. One, also, can resort to sophistry and playing around with words. This last option is usually chosen by the religious dogmatist and obviously by you throughout this discussion. So you are playing, here, the role of the untrained sophist! Correct?

lightgigantic: “…Yes I do agree - apparently you however don't which is the source of all your confusion.........”.

Re: Good! So stick to theology and leave your ancient holy books alone. Since those old books are not the tools of theology. They can only be the objects of theology.

lightgigantic: “…..Sorry - Its another aspect of the theoretical foundations of god - both god and the living entities (you me and everyone else) are living entities - but god is a unique living enity in that he is svarat (completely independant) and sarva karana karanam (the cause of all causes) - when you find that person who does not have a cause you have found god (BTW - I don't think you will find him on the electoral roll)…..”.

Re: Whether your God is ‘svarat’ or ‘sarva karana karanam’, the validity of His concept must be examined through the use of the principles and the rules of logic. By these principles and rules, His concept is found to be contradictory and invalid. Therefore, He could not exist, except in your imagination and the hyperactive imagination of your saintly authority.

lightgigantic: “So you are saying that you are more intelligent than scripture? Can anyone redefine the definitions established by scripture to suit their "logic" or just you?”.

Re: I didn’t really say that; but since you mentioned it, I’m certainly cleverer, more modern, more open-minded, more enlightened and well informed than the ancient gurus of your holy books!

:D

I have been reading this debate.
I think a little more courtesy with one another
would go a long way.
Instead of calling the other poster "illogical' or having lack of logic,
perhaps you might say "logically challenged."

Also, whats the problem with capitalizing God?
This does not imply directly that God exists.
this would be useful for the atheist who is working
on the concept that "God" entails, ie. Omnipotence, Omniscience,
Uncreated, necessary Being, etc: a metaphysical proposition, not a myth.
...as opposed to pagan gods who are a
mythic race of created super-beings

Last edited:
the order is slow, shitty, imperfect a D-- . Evolution takes so fuking long and many many many mistakes. When it fuks up which it does, it just destroys and starts over again regardless of the detriment and feelings of its creation, stupid mutherfukin creator

You can think this place is perfect, great whatever but you have nothing else to compare it to so it does not mean shit. Murderers, rapists, and pedophiles have a system by which they live which is effective for them but just because something has order or a purpose does not make it worthy. It would be kind of foolish to praise a place that may not be the best. Its like looking at a fuked mediocre or shitty painting and thinking its the best because thats all you know. Stupid. Thats when conceptual thinking should give you a clue to other possiblities. The fact that there is so much suffering and problems should be a clue as well as the horrific, predator, prey, parasite, low road this universe is based on. I wouldn't praise it though it is what it is and don't tell me it has to be that way blah blah. You only know the shit here and now and the way it works here. You don't know what other existences there may be. The fact we wish for a better place is a clue for one, the fact we complain and don't like it. The fact even christians with their simplistic views are looking to go to 'heaven' versus here free from the bs.

Last edited:
AAF:

"Thank you for your comments.
You've raised many & very good points.
It will take a while to go through them in detail."

Take as much time as you need. I shall be periodically looking over this thread, but should I, for one reason or another, end up not responding after a while, do alert me in PM whenever you have chosen to give a few answers to my comments on the matter.

Moreover, I would just like to point out how pleased I am to find a theological thinker such as argue so adeptly and present your ideas so clearly and well thought out. So often it is the case that here on Sci, that discussion of God as a serious philosophical inquiry falls short of anything resembling philosophy, whereas you have clearly demonstrated a rigour not found in most opponents or proponents of the concept of God found here.

"I agree that the UNIVERSE (matter + space + time + causality) is the only source of all real possibilities, including people. But the UNIVERSE (matter + space + time + causality) itself cannot be created, because the assumption to the contrary leads necessarily to very big and irresolvable contradictions. Therefore, the UNIVERSE must be eternal. However, none of the above considerations can make the UNIVERSE a GOD in any theological sense of the term. It just has no character, no personality, no free will, no mind, no feeling, no love, no hate, no motive, no sense of right & wrong, and desire to punish or reward people. And so the UNIVERSE is not a GOD. And I love it!"

This is rather akin to my stance as a self-described atheistic pantheist, by the way. That though existence satisfies so many of the classical conceptions of God, and indeed demonstrates that it is God in all but name only, we nonetheless are left with a thing which has none of those conscious aspects of God which you note, and thus we are left with a God-which-is-not-a-God and one which makes far more sense than the confused, contradictory mess, which is the classical conception of God.

Bowser:

"All of those attributes do exist whithin the Universe. You simply choose to ignore the fact that you are an expression of the whole. If you exist, then certainly so do all of the above. I assert that the parts cannot exist independent of the whole. "

Though clearly the parts cannot exist outside of the whole, we must also affirm that the whole cannot exist outside of the parts.

"I see much order in your collision of forces and presumption of chaos. As James has explained, energy is never destroyed but is simply converted into something new. As time moves forward, so does evolution--it doesn't move backwards or sideways. "

Not only that, but chaos itself is an illogical concept. For in order for chaos to be chaotic, it cannot exist alongside constancy, which is necessary for to be chaotic. That is to say, a chaotic system, bucking against all order, cannot have an order in retaining its chaos, otherwise it ceases to -be- chaos, but rather, an expression of order.

^ reminding you order is just that, order. Now the question is, is it worthy, good, the best, worth extoling? There is no definite answer because there is nothing else to compare it to. Its a matter of opinion. No competition.

Last edited:
iam:

Is a question of whether it is better or good really necessary to even bring up? For it would to me that we are not dealing with "what would be the best", but rather "what is", and thus questions of aesthetics are not only secondary, but superfluous, to the situation. That order cannot be compared to anything else, and may not be "the best" in some minds, seems utterly extraneous to the matter at hand.

AAF said:
lightgigantic: “Yes - there are tons of descriptions - but they are useless to enter into unless you have a standard understanding of his form being eternal, full of knowledge and full of bliss - you know - learn 1 -10 before you try higher mathematics - it all comes back to a foundation of theoretical knowledge….”.
Re: Full of bliss’; what a hyperactive imagination! How do know your Deity is full of it?

How do you know he isn't?

AAF said:
And yet, you still talk endlessly about theoretical knowledge!

well its better than talking in the absence of theoretical knowledge .... which is a waste of time - imagine if the rules for discussing science limited the reference to text books

AAF said:
It is getting here closer to the ad hominem fallacy. But it’s your fault. You’ve used it repeatedly during this discussion; haven’t you? The question was ‘can you describe the form of your God’? But so far we’ve seen nothing of your 'tons' of descriptions. Forget about ‘eternal’; it is not a form. ‘Full of knowledge & bliss’ is not a form either.

Then why is the word "vigraha" (form) tagged to the definition if it is irrelevant? As for the absence of the "tons of descriptions" I guess you haven't even picked up a scripture - but then its pointless to go into advanced mathmatics for a person who is struggling with the basic definiitons of 1-10

AAF said:
Your theoretical knowledge, therefore, is misguided and baseless.

What does that make your concoctions then? At least my theoretical knowledge is backed up by numerous authorites in the field - you simply try to bring transcendental objects within the purview of your limited senses

lightgigantic: “…The problem is that you have no foundation of theoretical knowledge and can not even begin to point your nose in the general direction of anything that is transcendental - you never get off the ground - all because you lack a foundation of theoretical knowledge……”.
Re: The problem is your lack of disciplines of logic. And so your theoretical knowledge is little more than a hot air. It is, once again, getting closer and closer to the ad hominem fallacy thanks to you! But there is no other choice. You must be made to drink from your own well; otherwise you might get used to it! Is this fair and square? [/QUOTE]

The failure of your logic is that you apply the rules that govern your own existence to god's existence - in other woirds you assume that god is just like you, or perhaps a little better - actually he is the supreme entity and is never accepted as such a mundane creature by scripture

AAF said:
lightgigantic: “…lol - but god is not accepted as material form - which is why he is never advocated as material except by unqualified persons…”.
Re: LOL’ on your argument! God is not matter! Therefore, why should He have a form?

Matter has form - the question is does transcendental things have form too - you cannot answer this question however because it requires a foundation of theoretical knowledge, which you seem to think you are qualified to override.

l
AAF said:
ightgigantic: “…lol - well maybe you could begin by establishing how form can emanate from something that has no form, since you want to champion the cause of logic……”.
Re: LOL’ on your faulty argument once again! So it’s me now who must establish it, not you? What a logic! If you break it, you own it! And so you have to drink your own ‘COCA COLA’! It’s certainly your fault.

I am just trying to help you formulate a logical argument - at the moment you are accepting transcendental objects as the binary opposite of matter in a primitive fashion - so you speculate that transcendental things are completely the opposite of material things - the question is that they merely be different as opposed to opposite - in other words the examination of material phenomena is no qualification for elucidating the nature of the transcendental

l
AAF said:
ightgigantic: “…Plato advocated a transcendental realm -lol - it formed a basis for plato’s republic - and it was St Augustine who later formed that as a basis for the teachings of the church - Plato however was imperfect even by his own admission - and was not indicating anything more than the general notion of the transcendental realm, and thus tended to get lost a bit in the details”.
Re: LOL’ on your theoretical knowledge! You’ve forgotten the various meanings of the term ‘TRANSCENDENTAL’ in various fields given previously in this discussion.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Transcendent

omg - another wikipedia "authority"

AAF said:
It’s illegal to switch back and forth among them as it suits you. The subject matter here is theology; and only the definition of the term in theology, not in Plato's ideals, is discussed. So stick to it! And what about this ‘imperfect’ Plato? You are not thinking human beings can really be perfect;

Perfect in understanding god? Why not? To the degree that they are surrenderred to the processes of understanding god - its not that everyone is equally qualified in understanding god because not everyone is equally surrendered - in fact there are many so called intelligent persons who are adverse to the notion of god - again , because you lack a foundation of theorectical knowledge you cannot see the variety of the catergory and tend to just blindly write off the whole thing, much like a gullible person who blindly accepts everything

AAF said:
aren’t you? If you believe they can, then say good-bye to your good sense! Do you believe the ‘saintly persons’ of your ancient mythological scripture were perfect?

Well do you believe in the established authorities of any branch of knowledge or do you think that its impossible for anyone to be more intelligent than yourself? For instance is it irrational to accept the authorities of astonomy in understanding astronomy (particularly if one doesn't know the first thing about astronomy) - if not why is that any authority in the name of religion must immediately be disbanded (unless of course you have a complete absence of theoretical knowledge and can only blindly discriminate on the matter)

AAF said:
;)

lightgigantic: “…You missed the point - he won't come over for dinner even if you voted for him - its an illustration of the difference between a big person and a small person ……..”.
Re: The president is a free man! He can choose to come over; or he can choose not to come over. What is wrong with that? Moreover, he can be only as great as those who voted for him, but no greater. Can your caste-humbug-filled mind see this very simple fact?

Yes the president is free and so is god - but still you see that powerful persons tend to behave in a certain predicatable way - for instance how many times in the past ten years has the president came over to your place for dinner?

AAF said:
lightgigantic: “…You're the one who places limitations on god by accepting a bogus definition of your own concoction………”.
Re: No, you are the one who claims repeatedly that the human mind is too limited to investigate the theology of God. That is what your 'bogus' saints taught you. And that is what you are saying.

Thats right - the mind is limited because it is a material phenomena - in other words the mind has a beginning and an end - but since god is transcendental one must apply a transcendetal process to understand him (which begins with obedience to him) - basically god is different than matter so one cannot expect to understand him by applying the same process one applies to understand matter (ie it relies on a different epistemology)
BTW - you're calling the saints "bogus" - I don't suppose you have done any research to justify your claims - If I say science is bogus wouldn't you at least expect me to give substantial evidence for my claims - I get the impression that you are poss
AAF said:
ed of an intense animosity towards religion and instead of addressing the topic with sense and logic you simply step down to putting your heated opinions in different font colours

AAF said:
lightgigantic: “…What? and blindly accept your nonsense? Humility is only a virtue when exhibited before qualifed persons”.
Re: Nonsense! Powerful persons can force you to be humble and submissive before them.

But I won't really be humble then - I will just be pretending to be humble -lol

AAF said:
And therefore, your humility, in this case, is a sham and morally nothing, unless you show it to those who are less powerful than you are. Am I telling the truth here?

Sometimes people require kind words and some times they require the stick - an intelligent person knows how to apply this to time place and circumstance :)

"lightgigantic: “So you are saying that you are more intelligent than scripture? Can anyone redefine the definitions established by scripture to suit their "logic" or just you?”.

AAF "Re: I didn’t really say that; but since you mentioned it, I’m certainly cleverer, more modern, more open-minded, more enlightened and well informed than the ancient gurus of your holy books!"

Well what holy books have you read and what gurus have you studied then?

lightgigantic said:
.............Well what holy books have you read and what gurus have you studied then?

:bugeye:

We don't really need (holy books & gurus) to be cleverer, more modern, more open-minded, more enlightened and well informed than the ancient gurus of your holy books.

:D

lightgigantic: “So you are saying that you are more intelligent than scripture? Can anyone redefine the definitions established by scripture to suit their "logic" or just you?…..”.

Re: I didn’t really say that; but since you mentioned it, I’m certainly cleverer, more modern, more open-minded, more enlightened and well informed than the ancient gurus of your holy books!

lightgigantic: “…Its your metal blockades that prevent you from understanding that just as heat is inseparable from fire, wetness is inseparable from water, and the sunshine is inseparable from the sun globe, the energies of god (namely eternal time) are inseparable from god - Its ironic that you are advocating outlawing half measures because you liberally apply them to establish your own concoctions……..”.

Re: They are all separable! And only your poor knowledge in the fields of chemistry and physics makes you believe they are inseparable. In addition, your God cannot emanate time. Because it’s impossible to emanate time. And because the very verb ‘emanate’ makes no sense in the absence of time.

lightgigantic: “…Why do you try to pass monotheism off as polytheism (apart from the fact that it is very easy to establish that a polytheistic god is a contradiction)…….”.

Re: It is not me who is trying to pass it off as polytheism. It’s your awful bias against polytheism, which makes you see polytheists everywhere, even out of context. To overcome this unnecessary obsession and to enhance your integrity, you have to do a lot of soul-searching, pal!

lightgigantic: “…The issue is that you try to establish that the definitions of god as the cause of all causes doesn't actually mean the cause of all causes - this is the primary distinction between a monotheistic paradigm and a polytheistic paradigm - if you find a person who does not have a cause you have found god - if you accept a personality who has a cause as god you are not working with the definition of a monotheistic god……”.

Re: It appears you don’t even have sufficient knowledge of the basic dogmas of various religions. What makes you think polytheists have causes for their gods? Most of them don’t even recognize causality in the real world; let alone the other world.

lightgigantic: “…If you are eternally situated on the same platform of conscious existence time is not an issue………”.

Re: Time is always an issue. Nothing can make any sense without time. Language itself becomes an utter nonsense in the absence of time. Therefore, your Deity cannot be eternal without eternity.

"I agree that the UNIVERSE (matter + space + time + causality) is the only source of all real possibilities, including people. But the UNIVERSE (matter + space + time + causality) itself cannot be created, because the assumption to the contrary leads necessarily to very big and irresolvable contradictions. Therefore, the UNIVERSE must be eternal. However, none of the above considerations can make the UNIVERSE a GOD in any theological sense of the term. It just has no character, no personality, no free will, no mind, no feeling, no love, no hate, no motive, no sense of right & wrong, and desire to punish or reward people. And so the UNIVERSE is not a GOD. And I love it!"

This is rather akin to my stance as a self-described atheistic pantheist, by the way. That though existence satisfies so many of the classical conceptions of God, and indeed demonstrates that it is God in all but name only, we nonetheless are left with a thing which has none of those conscious aspects of God which you note, and thus we are left with a God-which-is-not-a-God and one which makes far more sense than the confused, contradictory mess, which is the classical conception of God.

You don't see any continuity in the proposition that I offered?

Bowser:

"All of those attributes do exist whithin the Universe. You simply choose to ignore the fact that you are an expression of the whole. If you exist, then certainly so do all of the above. I assert that the parts cannot exist independent of the whole. "

Though clearly the parts cannot exist outside of the whole, we must also affirm that the whole cannot exist outside of the parts.

Okay... So beings such as us are a necessity?

How about this: Does life and its determination for survival suggest that it is nothing more than the product of a hollow system--a system that has no more character than a perpetual motion machine?

Bowser said:
All of those attributes do exist within the Universe. You simply choose to ignore the fact that you are an expression of the whole. If you exist, then certainly so do all of the above. I assert that the parts cannot exist independent of the whole.

:)

Yes, they do exist within the Universe. But they are not infinite in their scope or their magnitude. And this infinity is the basic requirement for being a GOD.
If just theists dropped this infinity of their God's attributes, then it would be impossible to prove or disprove His EXISTENCE on pure logical grounds.
In other words, the infinity of attributes in range and quantity is the defining FACTOR of God, and at the same time, the main SOURCE of the impossibility of His existence.

AAF said:
:)

Yes, they do exist within the Universe. But they are not infinite in their scope or their magnitude. And this infinity is the basic requirement for being a GOD.
If just theists dropped this infinity of their God's attributes, then it would be impossible to prove or disprove His EXISTENCE on pure logical grounds.
In other words, the infinity of attributes in range and quantity is the defining FACTOR of God, and at the same time, the main SOURCE of the impossibility of His existence.

My view is that those attributes and those perception cannot exist independent of the larger whole. They too are a creation of that to which we owe our existence. In that a theologist can see the infinite attributes of God beyond human endeavore.

But they are not infinite in their scope or their magnitude. And this infinity is the basic requirement for being a GOD.

It seems that they are suggesting that God is greater than the parts and responsible for the whole. How can we deny that there is something larger than us? In essence, that is God's infinite being.

lightgigantic:

If you would be so kind - and if you have all ready described this, please simply show me where you have so I might gain it without bothering you to repeat it - might you give us both a definition of transcedent as you are using it and proof for God's transcendental nature? In essence: Might you present to us a certain foundation where we can have continued discourse on the matter? For I am at wit's end in from both the meaning of "transcendental" as you so note, as well as the foundation you offer for such a belief.

Feel free to quote holy scripture of any religion to back your viewpoint, although I shall more likely respond from a philosophic viewpoint, with little of my own quotation. That is to say, I do not recognize the scriptures as a source of privileged information, and shall treat them but as arguments.

Now, to ask you a few questions based on direct quotes:

""Yes the president is free and so is god - but still you see that powerful persons tend to behave in a certain predicatable way - for instance how many times in the past ten years has the president came over to your place for dinner?""

By free, you mean free to choose differently? To act differently? In which case, I must disagree:

God is omniscient, is he not? That is what you claim, presumably, yes? Well let us consider that if God is omniscient, then God is pre-aware of all his decisions, both past, present, and future, yes? That is to say, an act God shall make thirty years from now, is known now to God just as surely as an act of ours but a minute ago may be known to us with certainty, nay? But just as the past is immutable to us, must not God's perfection and knowledge of the future, demand that the future is also determined, and so God cannot act against that which he has foreseen himself as doing? That even if we speak of God being "outside time" - which is rather a nonsensical notion, but we shall discuss this if you rise specific claims to such - we must come to realize that an absolute entity, acting in anyway, cannot act but according to his perfections, and in the most perfect way, all of which demands that God is not free to act within anything but the strict limit of his own perfection, even if his foreknowledge is comparable to present knowledge to us. THat is to say, that an act of God is determined if not by the future, than by the present, and cannot be free because of such determinations which stem not from an exterior source of God, but God himself.

""Thats right - the mind is limited because it is a material phenomena - in other words the mind has a beginning and an end - but since god is transcendental one must apply a transcendetal process to understand him (which begins with obedience to him) - basically god is different than matter so one cannot expect to understand him by applying the same process one applies to understand matter (ie it relies on a different epistemology)""

Please clarify in what way God is not matter, and if not matter, what he is composed of, how you know of this composition, its nature, and other things pertinent to an understanding of your statement.

Bowser:

"You don't see any continuity in the proposition that I offered? "

By this I suppose you mean...

"I am assuming that all things are created within and by the same source. In absolute physical terms, The Universe (God) has created (People) within itself the ability to experience itself (Awareness and life.) In essence, the Universe is observing itself through you.

In that sense, God is Creator, Omnipresence and Omnipotence."

I would argue against this, on the foundation that a being - if God can be described such, though I rather call him a thing, as I do not view the capacity for God as being possible to be any conscious in any way - which has no sense of other, could not intuit "other" in order to create something to experience itself, and moreover, if such a being necessitated other things to experience itself, it would not be a being which could be described as God. Moreover, I do not see what would compel a being to seek out such "experience of itself", for the need for experience is, too, a want, and that which is eternal and infinite, et cetera, et cetera, cannot have a want, no matter how reasonable it is for limited creatures, such as you or I, to have desires and needs of varying natures.

"Okay... So beings such as us are a necessity?"

After a fashion, yes. Allow me to clarify. Whereas all things which exist with limitations are contingent upon possibility and potentiality, not necessity, we can nonetheless state that in another sense, we are necessary, by virtue of cause and effect. That is to say, as cause and effect is uniform throughout time, and all which exists has a cause, and this cause cannot be such but ordered, then we are necessary in time to manifest. Moreover, the temporal is necessitated by virtue that the whole demands our existence, and since the whole must exist, so must we. That is to say, if 100 exists, we must also have 1-99, and so we find a flavour of necessity even in the contingent.

"How about this: Does life and its determination for survival suggest that it is nothing more than the product of a hollow system--a system that has no more character than a perpetual motion machine? "

In that it is not necessarily a choice which can be validated aside from recourse to its own desires, yes? For in that we can say "a perpetual motion machine moves by virtue of its own dumb desire to be perpetual", we can say that life has no foundation to stake its claim to life, but its desire to not dissolve. That is to say, all which is alive lives for itself and for its own purposes, and cannot be justified as living in the sense that outside itself, there is no justification. Inside itself, however, we can say that it is irrational for a being to seek annihilation, as it would cease that being and therefore would be detrimental to that being in an ultimate sense. Of course, if we take the universe's side, we could say "so what?".

With the above taken into consideration, I see no reason for it to have developed out of a system that somehow values life, or has value whatsoever. That it is enough for life to value itself and to live, without justification of the external universe, for life to hold such value, and to struggle for survival. I see no teleological purpose in life's strivings outside of the being itself.

AAF:

"In other words, the infinity of attributes in range and quantity is the defining FACTOR of God, and at the same time, the main SOURCE of the impossibility of His existence. "

Excuse me if I have misunderstood you, but have you not claimed that it is proper for us to consider existence/the universe, as having infinite attributes? If God can thus be considered the universe/existence, would not he be allowed to have such attributes with infinite scope?

Bowser:

"My view is that those attributes and those perception cannot exist independent of the larger whole. They too are a creation of that to which we owe our existence. In that a theologist can see the infinite attributes of God beyond human endeavore. "

You proclaim then that even the infinite attributes of God would be created? Or am I misunderstanding?

"It seems that they are suggesting that God is greater than the parts and responsible for the whole. How can we deny that there is something larger than us? In essence, that is God's infinite being. "

Does the larger than us demand a God?

Prince_James said:
lightgigantic:
Bowser:

"You don't see any continuity in the proposition that I offered? "

By this I suppose you mean...

"I am assuming that all things are created within and by the same source. In absolute physical terms, The Universe (God) has created (People) within itself the ability to experience itself (Awareness and life.) In essence, the Universe is observing itself through you.

In that sense, God is Creator, Omnipresence and Omnipotence."

I would argue against this, on the foundation that a being - if God can be described such, though I rather call him a thing, as I do not view the capacity for God as being possible to be any conscious in any way - which has no sense of other, could not intuit "other" in order to create something to experience itself, and moreover, if such a being necessitated other things to experience itself, it would not be a being which could be described as God. Moreover, I do not see what would compel a being to seek out such "experience of itself", for the need for experience is, too, a want, and that which is eternal and infinite, et cetera, et cetera, cannot have a want, no matter how reasonable it is for limited creatures, such as you or I, to have desires and needs of varying natures.

"Okay... So beings such as us are a necessity?"

After a fashion, yes. Allow me to clarify. Whereas all things which exist with limitations are contingent upon possibility and potentiality, not necessity, we can nonetheless state that in another sense, we are necessary, by virtue of cause and effect. That is to say, as cause and effect is uniform throughout time, and all which exists has a cause, and this cause cannot be such but ordered, then we are necessary in time to manifest. Moreover, the temporal is necessitated by virtue that the whole demands our existence, and since the whole must exist, so must we. That is to say, if 100 exists, we must also have 1-99, and so we find a flavour of necessity even in the contingent.

"How about this: Does life and its determination for survival suggest that it is nothing more than the product of a hollow system--a system that has no more character than a perpetual motion machine? "

In that it is not necessarily a choice which can be validated aside from recourse to its own desires, yes? For in that we can say "a perpetual motion machine moves by virtue of its own dumb desire to be perpetual", we can say that life has no foundation to stake its claim to life, but its desire to not dissolve. That is to say, all which is alive lives for itself and for its own purposes, and cannot be justified as living in the sense that outside itself, there is no justification. Inside itself, however, we can say that it is irrational for a being to seek annihilation, as it would cease that being and therefore would be detrimental to that being in an ultimate sense. Of course, if we take the universe's side, we could say "so what?".

With the above taken into consideration, I see no reason for it to have developed out of a system that somehow values life, or has value whatsoever. That it is enough for life to value itself and to live, without justification of the external universe, for life to hold such value, and to struggle for survival. I see no teleological purpose in life's strivings outside of the being itself.

I suppose then we disagree.

Bowser:

"My view is that those attributes and those perception cannot exist independent of the larger whole. They too are a creation of that to which we owe our existence. In that a theologist can see the infinite attributes of God beyond human endeavore. "

You proclaim then that even the infinite attributes of God would be created? Or am I misunderstanding?

That I could not define.

"It seems that they are suggesting that God is greater than the parts and responsible for the whole. How can we deny that there is something larger than us? In essence, that is God's infinite being. "

Does the larger than us demand a God?

Being a part of that larger content, being subject to it and a part of it at the same time, sure!

Bowser:

"I suppose then we disagree."

You do not even wish to debate it?

"That I could not define."

Have you not given it enough thought?

"Being a part of that larger content, being subject to it and a part of it at the same time, sure! "

So you think that all things higher than we, demand being called a God by virtue of our subjection to it wedded to composition of it? But do not we also exercise a subjection of it? For instance, you claim that we look out at the universe and are basically God's experiencers. Would not then our experience effect the whole?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back