God is like atheists in foxholes

Say you were the coach of a sports team. Your team is full of misfits, who based on scouting and odds makers, will never win the championship. What do you do? Do you look at them logically and tell then they all suck and to not to waste their time? Or do you try to inspire them to try against the odds to become champion? The first is practical atheism and the second is irrational religion. The first tries to be logical, while the second aims for the stars in defiance of apparent cause and effect.

Based on the two approaches which team will go further? Faith even in the impossible will add an extra level of drive. You never know. But if there is no faith, beyond the apparent obvious of the day, the result is more predictable; loser. Unless we can cheat like with PC.

In terms of human evolution, humans benefit by faith in goals beyond what is thought possible in its day. If man was meant to fly he would have wings. This may be the cause and effect and/or the safe bet for a given day. But the faithful are not content to accept this but see challenge in what is not considered possible, probable or logical for that day.

In fox hole, the atheists will more often remain there. It will be the faithful who get out and try to beats the odds in terms of heroism. The atheist lack the faith to take a step into the unknown. But this is normal to the faithful.

meaningless .. much like a square circle or a married bachelor

Those things aren't meaningless. Things that do not exist cannot have or not have meaning.

by posing the question in a past tense -

And how did you feel about non-existence before you were born?

Since feeling about an issue precludes existence, its an oxymoronic question from the atheist perspective

I'll say again: it was rhetorical. You asked if people find non-existence attractive, to which I offered "how did you feel about it before you were born?" (and what's with you putting emphasis on different words than I did, and removing it from the word I actually did emphasize?)

I was trying to say, "I won't be around to care about non-existence, so it doesn't matter if it's attractive or not."

Due to a poor choice in words in framing your arguments in response to arguments you are not even comprehending correctly in the first place, you are having an extremely difficult time establishing that ...

You're having trouble understanding a simple concept. I can't be accountable for that. :shrug:

For one, surely you realize that whether or not one's life is going to be eternal, is not something within one's control, and thus, not something one could meaningfully desire, or not desire.

So much wrong with this. First of all, you're making a huge assumption in saying that an afterlife is beyond our control. The religions and cultures that have maintained the concept of such an existence seem to say that we would have control over whether or not we go.

Secondly, just because one can't have something doesn't mean one can't desire it. I'm never going to be a billionaire, but it's still something I desire. I'm also never going to bang Gisele Buncheon, but that doesn't stop me from desiring her.

For two, there is nothing wrong with eternal life. No rotting molars, nor rotting morals.

Another ridiculous assumption, seemingly pulled from thin air. What is to say that an afterlife could not be just as bad as the primary life? Even if afterlife is simply a shared consciousness or something, what's to say it has to be pleasant? Life can be a miserable, agonizing nightmare. Why should an afterlife be any different?

As if death would be an end to suffering.

Wouldn't it? I was speaking from the assumption that we simply cease existing once we die. That would be an end to suffering.

Fortunately, not everyone shares your morbid obsession with mainstream Christianity!

I think you're just trying to be cute here, wynnie. It's not working.

Those things aren't meaningless. Things that do not exist cannot have or not have meaning.
sure
but life is not one of them

I'll say again: it was rhetorical. You asked if people find non-existence attractive, to which I offered "how did you feel about it before you were born?" (and what's with you putting emphasis on different words than I did, and removing it from the word I actually did emphasize?)

I was trying to say, "I won't be around to care about non-existence, so it doesn't matter if it's attractive or not."
And is not being around attractive to you?
Sitting around wondering about all the non-things you will be non-doing in your non-existence is simply non-sense.

You're having trouble understanding a simple concept. I can't be accountable for that. :shrug:
It can't be too simple if you can't even speak coherently about it

Last edited:
So much wrong with this. First of all, you're making a huge assumption in saying that an afterlife is beyond our control. The religions and cultures that have maintained the concept of such an existence seem to say that we would have control over whether or not we go.

Examples?

Secondly, just because one can't have something doesn't mean one can't desire it. I'm never going to be a billionaire, but it's still something I desire. I'm also never going to bang Gisele Buncheon, but that doesn't stop me from desiring her.

So how does desiring things (or people) that you can't have fit in with your conviction about your rationality?

Another ridiculous assumption, seemingly pulled from thin air.

That's right, it just seems to you that it's pulled from thin air.

What is to say that an afterlife could not be just as bad as the primary life? Even if afterlife is simply a shared consciousness or something, what's to say it has to be pleasant? Life can be a miserable, agonizing nightmare. Why should an afterlife be any different?

Whenever we act according to our true nature, we do not suffer.

Wouldn't it? I was speaking from the assumption that we simply cease existing once we die. That would be an end to suffering.

That's very common wishful thinking.

I think you're just trying to be cute here, wynnie. It's not working.

You do have a morbid obsession with mainstream Christianity.
But don't worry, like other things that cause suffering, a morbid obsession wih mainstream Christianity shall pass, too.

Last edited:
sure
but life is not one of them

Now that's a meaningless statement.

Seriously, non-sequitur much?

And is not being around attractive to you?
Sitting around wondering about all the non-things you will be non-doing in your non-existence is simply non-sense.

You're going around in circles, so let me try to cut through your BS: Why does it matter what's attractive to me?

It can't be too simple if you can't even speak coherently about it

This issue is your ability to comprehend, not by ability to articulate.

Why does it matter what's attractive to me?

Because you are participating in this discussion, presenting your views.

Unless, of course, you believe that everything you say is the absolute, objective truth, and that everyone who doesn't think, feel, speak and act the way you do or approve of, is wrong / delusional / in denial.

People skills are not your forte, eh? :eek:

Examples?

For real?

Every form of Christianity, Islam, and Judaism; Zoroastrianism, Norse mythology, Greek mythology, Roman mythology...shall I go on?

So how does desiring things (or people) that you can't have fit in with your conviction about your rationality?

It fits quite well, in the sense that I'm rational enough to know that chasing these dreams at all cost would be foolhardy, and likely hazardous to my life, and status as a free citizen.

You don't get to decide what you desire. You only get to decide whether or not you act upon them--and even then, the matter gets a little murky.

That's right, it just seems to you that it's pulled from thin air.

Well where did it come from, then?

Whenever we act according to our true nature, we do not suffer.

Oh really? So when the pedophile acts according to their true nature, they do not suffer? When the sociopath acts according to their true nature, they do not suffer?

When a mother acts according to her true nature and gives birth to a stillborn child, does she not suffer? How about the baby born with AIDS, whose true nature is to squawk and cry and yet finds agony even in that? Or the child who develops cancer? What's his true nature gotten him?

Bargain-bin philosophy, that. I've read fortune cookies more profound, and a sight less ridiculous.

And what the hell does that comment have to do with mine? I asked you what makes you so sure a hypothetical afterlife is pleasant. The hokum you vomited has nothing to do with that.

That's very common wishful thinking.

Are you going to qualify any of these statements, or is vague as close as it gets with you?

You do have a morbid obsession with mainstream Christianity.
But don't worry, like other things that cause suffering, a morbid obsession wih mainstream Christianity shall pass, too.

I thought you just said it's wishful thinking to believe that the pain will pass...right after you said that we would not suffer...

You haven't demonstrated how I have a morbid obsession, and until you do, your words are wind. Substantiate just one of comments, I dare you.

Can you explain what you meant by this and how it ties in with the discussion here:
The idea was introduced about people desiring and/or considering non-existance and/or eternal life attractive or not.

Should be obvious to even the moderately enlightened that reality has no concern with what we desire or consider attractive. :shrug:

The idea was introduced about people desiring and/or considering non-existance and/or eternal life attractive or not.

Should be obvious to even the moderately enlightened that reality has no concern with what we desire or consider attractive. :shrug:
So once again, this related to the different notions of reality entertained by atheists, theists, agnostics (especially in the sense that they present their pursuit of desire as consistent to their world view) or anything in between in what way?

@LG --

Wait, reality conforms itself to your beliefs? Can you demonstrate this? What is the mechanism behind it? Why does it only seem to work for you(as no one else to date has ever been able to demonstrate this)? And how are you going to repair physics?

@LG --

Wait, reality conforms itself to your beliefs? Can you demonstrate this? What is the mechanism behind it? Why does it only seem to work for you(as no one else to date has ever been able to demonstrate this)? And how are you going to repair physics?
In regards to what is being discussed, what does physics demonstrate?

Or are you simply comfortable dropping comments mid stream without really bothering to investigate what is actually being discussed?

Now that's a meaningless statement.

Seriously, non-sequitur much?
feel free to discuss how a non-existent life can be meaningful

You're going around in circles, so let me try to cut through your BS: Why does it matter what's attractive to me?
Because you began by playing a non-existent life as some how being something with pro's

errrr
did you mean "my ability to articulate"?

:D

If you can't figure it out then perhaps you should stop making claims that you can't defend.

Back