God can't control time

rjr6: So you're basically saying we don't have the capacity to understand any possible relationship between God and time and so we shouldn't even bother?

Yes, God can't control time.

If God can manipulate time, why does he need time to create something? He can just freeze time and create the entire universe in the blink of an eye.

If God can control time, there won't be any mistake to be made by him or his creations. He can just rewind the time and play it again. Unless his creations were so faulty that no matter how many times he tried to rewind, he would get the same damned result (Adam ate the fruit). If that's what happened, then I don't know what to say.

So what's your take?

God can control time, but just can't fix what he had made.

Or

God can't control time, and needs to stick with his mess.

But God cannot lie so you need to look at this when you wonder why God didn't simply undo what we did with the blink of an eye. He is not a magician, but he moves in wisdom and love not in time, but with eternal purpose.
We live in time between Genesis one and Revelation 22.
That is limiting us to a few days.

codan,

Requires a time component for something to come first. Time must have existed first for that to be possible.

For anything to occur time must be present. To go from something to something else requires time.

For him to have created time then time must have already existed for him to initiate a state change. It's a paradox. There cannot have been a point where time did not exist otherwise nothing could have occurred, and that includes starting time.

Not if he does anything since that requires time.

The action of creating something involves a transition from a before position to an after position. That is the passage of time. Your demand for proof includes that very proof.

Except time, since he could not have begun anything if time did not exist. Time cannot have had a beginning. Whether gods have beginnings is another issue.

This appears like a random comment that doesn't seem relevant.

god created everything, he created time. no dimension/force affects god. he is a separate entity.

whilst there has to be a before/after point, god doesn't necessarily take time to do anything.

i agree that the religious explanation is illogical, but its an argument not based on any kind of logic. Its based on faith. It revolves around the idea that god is omnipotent/omniscient, if he is not those things, why call him god?

rjr6: So you're basically saying we don't have the capacity to understand any possible relationship between God and time and so we shouldn't even bother?

No, bother away. I read my posts and I sound condescending in them. My apologies. I did not see you post anywhere else in this thread, so I don't know what your views are.
To gleen that you should bury your head in the sand from my post was not the intention of the post. Some other posts in this thread, IMO, were using the Human experience of time as a yardstick against God.
Aren't most major breakthroughs in science done by humans by asking questions such as "what if?". Not make statements like "this is not possible because....

codanblad,

god created everything, he created time. no dimension/force affects god. he is a separate entity.

whilst there has to be a before/after point, god doesn't necessarily take time to do anything.
It still doesn't work. Nothing can occur without time. The creation of time is impossible. That is an action that would require time and if it didn't exist first then the event could not occur and time could not exist.

If something doesn't take time to do something then that something cannot occur. If a god were to exist it must necessarily use time to do anything.

The problem here is thinking of time as something that can be manipulated. It is not something that exists seperately but is an essentail property of existence. If a god were to exist that existence includes time.

Why would God even want to control time?? I'd say, that if he can, he doesn't, because he is quite content where he is.

:D Time control is unimportant :D

It is an odd argument that presupposes that God stands outside of the Universe. but in terms where God is Eternal... this only supposes that God has Forever to make everything Perfect. A God that is Eternal should be evaluated in similar terms, and not against razor thin temporal conditions. Evaluate the Whole and not just a part.

Also, if God could control time... changing the Universe every five minutes, past, present, and future. How would you know.

you wouldn't, would you?

If God suddenly changed the Present, we would know. But if he also changes the Past, then our memories and frames of reference are also changed... the books are changed... the calendars are changed.

Indeed, why didn't you think of that? Why does it have to be pointed out to you? Or you thought of it and then thought that everyone else was too stupid to see it... except yourself and you have deluded yourself into thinking that you have this super visionary intelligence....

Yes, God can't control time.

If God can manipulate time, why does he need time to create something? He can just freeze time and create the entire universe in the blink of an eye.

If God can control time, there won't be any mistake to be made by him or his creations. He can just rewind the time and play it again. Unless his creations were so faulty that no matter how many times he tried to rewind, he would get the same damned result (Adam ate the fruit). If that's what happened, then I don't know what to say.

So what's your take?

God can control time, but just can't fix what he had made.

Or

God can't control time, and needs to stick with his mess.

Back