Go to Hell!

I was hoping for some real discussion from those who disagree.
Plugging your fingers into your ears and saying how stupid people are does not qualify.

The people who are plugging their fingers into their ears are the people who want to believe anything but an eternal lake of fire revealed clearly in the Book of Revelation

If you are so sure this guy is not correct, why not explain why?
Refute his points.
Explain why the translations he discussed are correct.
Show where his reason failed.

If the word says that grass is green but someone comes along who cannot stand the colour green and spends their lives doing a twist job on the statement Grass is green to turn it into grass is orange how does one reply to such madness????

Why should one waste their time in pointing out the bleeding obvious?

Most atheists who have read the bible know only too well that it reveals that the Lake of fire is an eternal place of torment. That’s why they spend so much time in this place shaking their fists at the God of Abraham and trying to use the fact to justify their rebellion against God.

By the way, if the Bible "clearly states" everything, why do we have over 30,000 different flavors of Christianity all claiming the same scriptures?

:D Because a lot of people want to have Jesus as their Redeemer but very few want Him as their Lord. Jesus clearly states that we are to love our enemies and to not resist but most of the "flavours of Christianity" teach the doctrine of justifiable war and therefore are rejecting their Redeemer and following "another Jesus" one of their own construct. just as the posting at the start o this thread was a construct.

2 Timothy 4
3 For the time will come when they will not endure sound doctrine, but according to their own desires, because they have itching ears, they will heap up for themselves teachers; 4 and they will turn their ears away from the truth, and be turned aside to fables.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Most atheists who have read the bible know only too well that it reveals that the Lake of fire is an eternal place of torment. That’s why they spend so much time in this place shaking their fists at the God of Abraham and trying to use the fact to justify their rebellion against God.
The main concept for the, "Hell is a lake of Fire" goes to Revelation, which I stated in an earlier post. If you wish I will seek out further biblical evidence for you, but somehow I doubt you will take it as "sufficient evidence":rolleyes:
I know it refers to Revelation.
The problem with that is that Revelation was written a good 50 years after the death of Jesus (at least) and refers to a dream that John supposedly had about the end of the world.
There is good reason that this is perhaps the most contested book in the canon across the world and history.
Not to mention that it was written by John, whose gospel did not even agree with the Synoptic gospels.
I am referring to what Jesus taught, not the non-sensical ravings of a latter apologist.

It's a good point you are raising, I will try to clarify it as I know it to be. Many Jewish words lend their names to places, ideas and people even inside the Jewish world. Since the word Gehenna was written before they lived in that region, the name of the area was a result of the definition of the word. For example, engraving is the same way for writing on a chalk board. Chalk boards didn't exist before the word. Aish meant fire, and it also means man. There's a lot of these.
I’m with you so far.
This is very evident from even a cursory reading of the Old Testament and the plentiful descriptions of how places got their names.

The reason it was referred to Gehenem AFTER the second temple era was the state of the people was low. Traditionally the people living there were in a low state of purity, a low state of holliness. The term gehenem literally means place (beyond the world) to make pure. Since Jews blame themselves for the destruction of the second temple, then the killing and burning of those people in the field is supposed to represent the fact they were unholy and were righteously punished for their transgressions.

Christians, Muslims and others interpreted it as literally meaning "BURNING"
Jews interpret it to mean something more close to "Washing Machine" ; )
Can you please provide me a reliable source which will attest to that?

Note that I am certainly not saying you are wrong – I am saying that I am not as knowledgeable on this as I would like to be, so I want to learn more about it and come to my own conclusions. This is why I posted this here.

Everyone goes to gehenom if I understand correctly. What you're molded into is dependent on your merit.
Where does this understanding come from?
As I understood it, Gehenna is a place that was decreed as filthy and sinful by God due to the sacrifices that were performed there by those who worshipped Molech, and a place where God punished and burned the bodies of sacrilegious Jews.
It doesn’t make sense to me that everyone would go to Gehenna, because of the Mark 5:21-22 quote about being in danger of the fires of Gehenna – as if it is a punishment of judgment of some sort.

NOTE: The place that was Hennoms would be referred to as Behennom. As in "House of Hennom" Where as gehennom is a different word.
If it were the house if Hinnom, it may well be referred to as Behinnom or Bethinnom, but is there not a difference between the “house of Hinnom” and the “Valley of the Sons of Hinnom”?

Regardless, Gehenna does seem to refer to a real, tangible place on earth. Furthermore, it does seem to represent that valley that once belonged to Hinnom. As you said yourself, it was referring to the field that the Jews were burned by God for their transgressions.
Am I misunderstanding you?

Please tell me where in the Bible you get your understanding of what Gehenna is, so I can read it myself.
Thank you

The people who are plugging their fingers into their ears are the people who want to believe anything but an eternal lake of fire revealed clearly in the Book of Revelation
Right.
Those looking at the many varied translations and questioning the possible errors of man to attempt to reveal was the book actually said are plugging their ears and those who take an obviously flawed translation as the infallible word of God and insist that their own personal interpretation could be the only possible correct one are the open-minded ones.
I understand.

I am quite surprised that more Christians have not responded to this thread.

you guys ever watched billy connolly's world tour of australia?

there is a great joke in there about an irish priest. i cant find it on you tube but here it is from memory

"so every so often the missionaries would come around,
these were the storm troopers of the catholic church
and one of them was making a speach on hell and he went

"and you'll go to hell and the flames will be getting higher and you'll say:
"BUT GOD, we didnt know"
and the bugs and the bettles of HELL will be getting higher and you'll say:
"BUT GOD, we didnt know"

and God will say:

"WELL YOU FUCKING KNOW NOW!!!"""

I LOVE that eposode:p

I know it refers to Revelation.
The problem with that is that Revelation was written a good 50 years after the death of Jesus (at least) and refers to a dream that John supposedly had about the end of the world.
There is good reason that this is perhaps the most contested book in the canon across the world and history.
Not to mention that it was written by John, whose gospel did not even agree with the Synoptic gospels.
I am referring to what Jesus taught, not the non-sensical ravings of a latter apologist.

If your going to do an attempted hatchet job on the Book of Revelation then you going to have to do the same hatchet job on the Gospels too.

Luke 16
22 So it was that the beggar died, and was carried by the angels to Abraham’s bosom. The rich man also died and was buried. 23 And being in torments in Hades, he lifted up his eyes and saw Abraham afar off, and Lazarus in his bosom.
24 “Then he cried and said, ‘Father Abraham, have mercy on me, and send Lazarus that he may dip the tip of his finger in water and cool my tongue; for I am tormented in this flame.’

There it is the guy died and was buried and after that he is in torment in the flames. This is from Jesus Himself.

Right.
Those looking at the many varied translations and questioning the possible errors of man to attempt to reveal was the book actually said are plugging their ears and those who take an obviously flawed translation as the infallible word of God and insist that their own personal interpretation could be the only possible correct one are the open-minded ones.
I understand.

Open-minded??? No mate people in a psychological state of severe denial to the extent that they are prepared to believe anything but the clear meaning in scriptures.

Revelation 14
9 Then a third angel followed them, saying with a loud voice, “If anyone worships the beast and his image, and receives his mark on his forehead or on his hand, 10 he himself shall also drink of the wine of the wrath of God, which is poured out full strength into the cup of His indignation. He shall be tormented with fire and brimstone in the presence of the holy angels and in the presence of the Lamb. 11 And the smoke of their torment ascends forever and ever; and they have no rest day or night, who worship the beast and his image, and whoever receives the mark of his name.”

Revelation19
Then the beast was captured, and with him the false prophet who worked signs in his presence, by which he deceived those who received the mark of the beast and those who worshiped his image. These two were cast alive into the lake of fire burning with brimstone.

Revelation 20
10 The devil, who deceived them, was cast into the lake of fire and brimstone where the beast and the false prophet are. And they will be tormented day and night forever and ever.

Revelation 20
15 And anyone not found written in the Book of Life was cast into the lake of fire.

Don't like it?

Cannot believe it?

Reject it?

Thats your call, but do not go around trying to say that the bible does not say it. When you do that you do not reveal open-mindedness in yourself but wilful blindness and dogged ignorance to what is plain and clear.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Adstar,

There is a part of me that genuinely envies you.
The state of absolute blind faith you live in must be a warm, safe comfortable place.
Like an infant being swaddled against his mother's bosom, blissfully unaware of the world around him.
The rest of us have to think, question, challenge and wonder.

sisyphus__,

I have no sound at work.

Back