George Zimmerman found Not Guilty.

russ said:
No, that's not how it works. An actual confrontation is required. And the actual confrontation was initiated by Martin.
The actual confrontation was initiated by Zimmerman - initiating a confrontation is exactly what he was doing when he got out of his truck.

Again: I am kind of surprised at the number of people here who apparently don't know that, but in hindsight not at all surprised by the makeup of the jury chosen by the defense - obviously the defense lawyer was alert, and the prosecution unwary.

russ said:
You want to live in a world where anyone can beat up another person for following them? Not me.
Creepy guys chasing kids down at night, with nobody around to help - that is OK with you?

I want to live in a world where even I - a grown man - can defend myself from a thug who's chasing me down the street at night for unknown reasons, in the best way I can.

And the same goes for my wife, brother, sister, children, kids walking home from school (after school programs often run to seven or eight with travel time), and so forth. A guy who follows my kids in a truck at night, staring and acting creepy, and then gets out of the truck to chase them when they try to run away, is taking his life in his hands.

Strawman hypothesis - Nothing I have suggested would require this. His exact words were "These assholes, they always get away."

He was spoiling for a fight, and he has picked them previously.
"They always get away" can imply quite a number of things, such as he wanted the police to catch Martin -- which is why he called the police. It doesn't really imply that he wanted to fight at all.

Anyway: you say he was "spoiling for a fight" but that his actions aren't those of a manipulator. But you are aware that he called the police, right? Before the confrontation? So he would have to be either colossally stupid or utterly brilliant to make that call and then go pick a fight, right? He guaranteed that he would be caught!
Right so... What? It's too much for you to think of failed assaults and thefts as people picking fights and then loosing them by varying margins?

It's far more likely than you seem think.
No, I just said it is possible. I understand that it is. But the point is, "possible" isn't enough. I notice you ignored the part of that which contained that point, then asked "so what?". Ignoring my point won't make it go away. Maybe if I say it louder: POSSIBLE IS NOT ENOUGH.
This is a deliberate misrepresentation of my statement.
No, it's not. We even used the same word base ("relevant"). But I'll expand:

1. The fact that Zimmerman did not have his gun out prior to the physical confrontation tells us clearly that he did not go into the situation intending to kill Martin.
2. The fact that Zimmerman got all of the beating makes is more likely that Martin was the aggressor than Zimmerman. Even if it is only 51%/49%, that's still plenty for an acquittal.

You said these are irrelevant. They aren't. They are critical pieces of the basis of the decision.
My point was that you don't have to have your gun out to act aggresively or pick a fight, the fact that he got he so thoroughly failed in the fight doesn't preclude the possibility of him having picked it. The only thing either of those actually demonstrate is that he underestimated his opponent.
Again, yes, it is possible that Zimmerman picked the fight. The evidence does not "preclude" it. But burden of proof is on the prosecution, not the defense. The evidence must preclude the possibility that Martin picked the fight and it doesn't. You're looking at the burden of proof backwards.
Well that explains much, if you can't even retain context for more than one post...

You claim that "None of what described there is a crime." You must be imagining things. I don't recall mentioning a crime per-se, only that Zimmerman had pursued Martin, acted aggressively and picked a fight which he was subsequently pwned in. That's what there's evidence of.

Um...we're talking about whether Zimmerman is guilty of manslaughter here. If nothing he did prior to shooting the gun was a crime, then none of it supports a manslaughter verdict.

Reworded: You're trying to say that pursuing Martin before shooting him makes Zimmerman a murderer. But pursuing (following) someone is not a crime, so it does not add weight to a murder/manslaughter charge.

I'm not going to try to interpret that word salad.

Punctuation.
Capitalization.
Paragraphs.
Complete sentences.

Learn to express yourself in proper English if you want to have a useful discussion.

Except one:
you see, most were surprised by this verdict and not just those who DISAGREE with it but as well as those who were not expecting it
Maybe most, but not all and not some very relevant people: The police and local prosecutors agreed that this was a case of self defense, which is why they declined to prosecute it in the first place. They correctly predicted this outcome. Knowing this, I was also not surprised by this verdict.

The actual confrontation was initiated by Zimmerman - initiating a confrontation is exactly what he was doing when he got out of his truck.
Conveniently, someone just posted the jury instructions:
Instructions said:
In deciding whether George Zimmerman was justified in the use of deadly force, you
must judge him by the circumstances by which he was surrounded at the time the force was
used.
[emphasis added]
"At the time force was used". That's what's relevant. Zimmerman pursued Martin, but that was a separate event from what was happening when Zimmerman fired the shot. What matters is that at the time that force was used, it was Martin who was the aggressor.

And that's even setting aside the fact that getting out of a truck is not a crime or even an offensive act.
Creepy guys chasing kids down at night, with nobody around to help - that is OK with you?
Creepy? Matter of perception. People keeping a watchful eye on their community and being vigilant? Definitely. I very much appreciate it in my own community when someone takes initiative to fix a problem. Just a few months ago, some kids knocked on my door to see if a dog locked in a car was mine. As a member of my homeowner's association board, I thanked them for their vigilance.
I want to live in a world where even I - a grown man - can defend myself from a thug who's chasing me down the street at night for unknown reasons, in the best way I can.
Zimmerman did, but I don't think you realize you're describing the wrong person!

But anyway, sorry, but the US is not a place where you are entitled to beat someone up for following you. Or - as in this case - jump someone who had previously been following you.

By the way, you're misusing the word "chase". The word means to follow with the intent of catching. There is no evidence that Zimmerman intended to catch Martin and - again - unless he's a mastermind who told the police pre-planned lies to cover his coming murder, he was on his way back to his truck when Martin confronted him. The only "chasing" was Martin chasing Zimmerman.
And the same goes for my wife, brother, sister, children, kids walking home from school (after school programs often run to seven or eight with travel time), and so forth. A guy who follows my kids in a truck at night, staring and acting creepy, and then gets out of the truck to chase them when they try to run away, is taking his life in his hands.
I really hope you're just blustering here, for the sake of your family. What you are describing is very reckless and illegal. You cannot attack someone for following you and if you attack someone you put the lives of everyone involved at risk. Just like Martin did.

Here's what responsible people should do in such situations:
1. If you are afraid, call the police.
2. If possible, exit the situation.
3. If possible, go to a safe place like a police station (ie, lead the person following you there).
4. If you can't get away or if you see no threat, non-violently confront the person following you. Do not attack/provoke them.

I will give you guys this: you have the required scenario right. It is indeed necessary to prove that Zimmerman started the fight in order to get a manslaughter conviction.

Last edited:
russ said:
"At the time force was used". That's what's relevant. Zimmerman pursued Martin, but that was a separate event from what was happening when Zimmerman fired the shot.
No, it wasn't. It initiated the confrontation in which Zimmerman shot the kid he'd been chasing.
russ said:
What matters is that at the time that force was used, it was Martin who was the aggressor.
The teenage kid being pursued by the creepy guy from the SUV as he runs away is not the aggressor.

russ said:
Creepy? Matter of perception. People keeping a watchful eye on their community and being vigilant? Definitely. I very much appreciate it in my own community when someone takes initiative to fix a problem.
So if what looks like a creepy looking guy to your kid follows your kid down the street at night, and when your kid tries to run away gets out of their vehicle and chases your kid, that is OK with you. You would tell your child to thank the guy for taking initiative?

russ said:
Here's what responsible people should do in such situations:
1. If you are afraid, call the police.
2. If possible, exit the situation.
3. If possible, go to a safe place like a police station (ie, lead the person following you there).
4. If you can't get away or if you see no threat, non-violently confront the person following you. Do not attack/provoke them.
The unreality of these posts defending Zimmerman's behavior is really quite strange.

In the first place, what responsible people should do and what a teenage threatened victim of harassment is entitled to do are not the same. I would not recommend ambushing Zimmerman and beating him up, and it would not be the mature, sober, best approach - I'm just pointing out that Martin was entitled to do that.

But going with it:

1) You can call the police if you have a working phone on you, are in a neighborhood where the police can be relied upon and are nearby, and so forth. White and middle class and living in a metro area? call the cops. But Martin lived his whole life in a world in which calling the police was not an automatic first option, or even a good idea necessarily - and he didn't have much time to reflect and consider.

2) He tried to "exit the situation": by running away - he was chased on foot, and didn't live far enough away to "exit the situation" if Zimmerman spotted him again. He risked showing the creepy guy where he lived - not a good idea.

3) Please. If not possible, as here and in almost any other similar situation (creepy guys with agendas don't normally hang around near the police station to target kids) we'll skip this one, and

4) WTF do you mean by "see no threat"? What do you think we are talking about here?

The basic problem seems to be blank-wall ignorance. You guys simply have no clue what it means when a guy like Zimmerman follows you down the street at night when you are alone and gets out of the truck. You actually talk of about "if" you are afraid, "if" you see a threat - I'm at a bit of a loss, how to reply to that.

The unreality of these posts defending Zimmerman's behavior is really quite strange.

what's unreal and untrustworthy is how hypocritical it is, as if zimmerman had no duty or responsibility to correct behavior himself. what it reveals is how untrustworthy people can be in the public and in the courtroom because it is clear that zimmerman had more duty and responsibility since he was using the neighborhood watch as authority, excuse or ruse for vigilante behavior and intent. he was armed, he was unidentified, he stalked even without valid reason, ultimately creating the situation, provocation and threat to martin; all of which is against neighborhood watch, common sense and decent behavior.

The basic problem seems to be blank-wall ignorance. You guys simply have no clue what it means when a guy like Zimmerman follows you down the street at night when you are alone and gets out of the truck. You actually talk of about "if" you are afraid, "if" you see a threat - I'm at a bit of a loss, how to reply to that.

arguing with pretense of ignorance, hypocrisy, dishonesty and out of context evasive rationales. what can you do being met with constant dishonest interpretations of actions such as 'it is not illegal to follow someone' using out of context duplicitous reasoning as if one was just strolling along innocently just smelling the roses without intent when it is clear that zimmerman had intent and ready for confrontation with a deadly weapon. the level of dishonesty to stoop to that level is insulting to others, as if they never question the fact people just don't go around following people as if it's just an everyday occurrence like deciding to go to walmart or mcdonalds. lmao

obviously the defense lawyer was alert, and the prosecution unwary.

yeah, the defense lawyer was alert that there are people that stupid, out of touch, biased or unethical enough or a combination to buy it. lmao

Last edited:
"They always get away" can imply quite a number of things, such as he wanted the police to catch Martin -- which is why he called the police. It doesn't really imply that he wanted to fight at all.
Cherry picking.

Anyway: you say he was "spoiling for a fight" but that his actions aren't those of a manipulator.
More or less.

But you are aware that he called the police, right? Before the confrontation?
Yes - I've even referenced the conversation several times, something you would know if you were paying attention.

So he would have to be either colossally stupid or utterly brilliant to make that call and then go pick a fight, right? He guaranteed that he would be caught!
Or neither. You're presenting it as a false dichotomy, it's not.

No, I just said it is possible. I understand that it is. But the point is, "possible" isn't enough. I notice you ignored the part of that which contained that point, then asked "so what?". Ignoring my point won't make it go away. Maybe if I say it louder: POSSIBLE IS NOT ENOUGH.
Whether or not it being possible wasn't the point I was addressing. Go back, re-read what you said, retain it as context, and reconsider my response.

No, it's not. We even used the same word base ("relevant"). But I'll expand:

1. The fact that Zimmerman did not have his gun out prior to the physical confrontation tells us clearly that he did not go into the situation intending to kill Martin.
Whether or not he went into the situation intending to kill Martin is irrelevant because that's not the claim I made. The only claim I made was that he intended to pick a fight, that he was spoiling for a fight.

2. The fact that Zimmerman got all of the beating makes is more likely that Martin was the aggressor than Zimmerman.
No it doesn't, the only thing it neccessarily demonstrates is that he was significantly outclassed. More to the point, I don't recall ever suggesting that Martin threw the first punch, all I said was that he intended to pick a fight or that he was spoiling for a fight. Do you understand the important difference between these statements?

Zimmerman put himself in a position where a confrontation was possible or inevitable with a demonstrably aggressive attitude.

You said these are irrelevant. They aren't. They are critical pieces of the basis of the decision.
What I said, and have elaborated further, is that they're irrelevant in determining whether or not Zimmerman was being aggressive or spoiling for a fight. I didn't say that "The facts of what happened in the seconds leading up to the shooting [are] irrelevant."

There's a significant difference there.

Again, yes, it is possible that Zimmerman picked the fight.
And that's the only thing I have actually said - is that in my opinion it seems likely that Zimmerman had a larger role in provoking the confrontation then KWHilborn credits him for, KWHIlborn seems to think that Zimmerman was an innocent bystander or something.

Do try and keep up with the conversation you're interjecting yourself into the next time you choose to do so.

The evidence does not "preclude" it. But burden of proof is on the prosecution, not the defense. The evidence must preclude the possibility that Martin picked the fight and it doesn't. You're looking at the burden of proof backwards.
No I'm not. You've interjected yourself into someone elses conversation and have, apparently, not understood what was said. Or you have, but your so busy with whatever agenda that you've got that you've failed to recognize the assertions for what they are. I work for the government. I have practical experience in the levels and burden of proof. I also understand the level of proof required by the defense and what their job is.

Um...we're talking about whether Zimmerman is guilty of manslaughter here.
That's the overall topice of the thread, yes, however, there are a number of dicussions within that topic. One of which is the one you have chosen to interject yourself within. The only point that I was making was that the evidence we have available suggests that Zimmerman behaved aggressively.

If nothing he did prior to shooting the gun was a crime, then none of it supports a manslaughter verdict.
I haven't commented on that yet, one way or the other The only thing you have at this point is the assumptions you have made based on whatever your personal agenda is.

But, if you want me to, I will, I have a personal, shall we call it, ethical, issue with the idea that one man can provoke a fight with another man, then shoot them and kill them when the fight they have provoked exceeds their ability to control it, and claim that they acted in self defense. While it might be true at a technical level, I consider that to be a travesty and abuse of the defense.

I also live in a jurisdiction where we recently did away with the self-defense clause for some charges after a case in which a guy stabbed his girlfriend 32 times in the chest with a chefs knife (in her bedroom) and claimed self defense because she came at him with a pair of scissors (he was the only witness to the actual events btw).

Reworded: You're trying to say that pursuing Martin before shooting him makes Zimmerman a murderer. But pursuing (following) someone is not a crime, so it does not add weight to a murder/manslaughter charge.
I've said or suggested no such thing - even in my clarification of my personal position. Everything you've attributed to me has so far has been your agenda rather than anything I have actually said.

i lol'd. that is one of the most stupid assertions i've read on this thread. you don't have to have a gun out waving it around or in public view to have an intent to kill. again, i lol'd.

If nothing he did prior to shooting the gun was a crime, then none of it supports a manslaughter verdict.

again, i lol'd. that is incorrect. you do not understand what manslaughter is or entails. lmao

i lol'd. yes, it can as it can be viewed as a threat. again, people don't just randomly 'follow' people around, especially pursuing strangers. keep lying. it's quite funny yet pathetic, shallow and unethical.

I'm not going to try to interpret that word salad.

Punctuation.
Capitalization.
Paragraphs.
Complete sentences.

Learn to express yourself in proper English if you want to have a useful discussion.

a useful discussion is making sense, you are not. you are the one using 'word salad' using:

Punctuation.
Capitalization.
Paragraphs.
Complete sentences.

unfortunately, decorum doesn't equate to correct unless you just want points for grammar and punctuation. hurray for you. LMAO

It's like the old Roman saying:
Lolni Loldi Lolci

I Lolled, and Lolled and Lolled again.

.............and there the thread ended.

Last edited:
of course, this makes perfect sense. it is okay to fire a weapon when you are losing in a physical fight, nevermind warning, who started what, who chased down who etc. why are police uniformed and why are they identifiable as well as their weapon? hmm..

so it's okay to just have a deadly hidden trump card, pursue without cause (he sure didn't have a just reason at all) get into an altercation and kill someone claiming you were in fear for your life. just don't fight back whatsoever, don't try to defend yourself in any way, pretend you have the authority to stalk, detain, engage and shoot.

Since you didn't attach my name at the top of this, I didn't notice it was meant to be addressed to me. You have completely misread my statement. You seem to be taking my conceptualization about sequence and attempting to turn it into a justification of his actions. This is not helpful: again, I understand that you feel very strongly about this case, but read what the comments actually say rather than imposing meaning on them. If you don't understand what I've written, just ask me. :)

1. Zimmerman didn't "chase" Martin. And at the time Martin attacked him, Zimmerman wasn't even following him.

I don't agree with this - how else would Zimmerman have run into Martin to have a physical confrontation?

2. Martin had a right to stand his ground. He did not have a right to attack Zimmerman. And since Martin wasn't on trial, it has no relevance and no reason to bring it up.

Agreed, assuming Martin attacked. You've cited this several times - how do you know this is so?

Adults are expected to make better decisions than teenagers. Trayvon's decision to lash out at what he perceived as a stalker cost him his life, George's decision to follow him gets him the right to own another firearm. Makes sense to me.

2. Martin had a right to stand his ground. He did not have a right to attack Zimmerman.
Why not? Zimmerman was attacking him. This situation is self defense, not syg.

Actually, anyone around had the right to apprehend Zimmerman, prevent him from chasing Martin, by any means necessary including physical violence.

Actually, anyone around had the right to apprehend Zimmerman, prevent him from chasing Martin, by any means necessary including physical violence.

Too dangerous to intervene anymore because of all the damn guns, so the solution is more guns. Makes sense to me.

Poster boy and cult of personality..

You know it's bad when even your own lawyers comment on your actions in a negative way.

It seems Mr Zimmerman is in the market for a shotgun, and decided to visit the headquarter's of Kel-Tec and took a tour of the complex where the guns are manufactured. He also posed for a photo with the owner's son. While there, he asked about one of the shotguns they manufacture. The Kel-Tec headquarters do not sell to customers. So one wonders how and why Zimmerman was given the grand tour of the facility.

Kel-Tec are the manufacturers of the gun Zimmerman used to kill Martin. The factory Zimmerman decided to visit is apparently where said gun would have been made.

He was apparently given a personal tour by the son of Kel-Tec's owner. Awww.. talk about warm and loving hospitality and treatment.

Zimmerman's lawyers did not view his tour and visit kindly:

“We certainly would not have advised him to go to the factory that made the gun that he used to shoot Trayvon Martin through the heart,” Shawn Vincent, a spokesman for attorney Mark O’Mara, told Yahoo News. “That was not part of our public relations plan.”

No shit Sherlock..

Russ_Watters said:
We have no idea what the facts are concerning the instigation of the physical altercation that resulted in the death of Trayvon Martin, only Zimmermans’s apparent self serving account. While Zimmerman may not have unholstered his gun, he may have been in the process of doing so, literally forcing Martin’s hand, into the face of Zimmerman.

Why not? Zimmerman was attacking him. This situation is self defense, not syg.

And anyone seeing that person going to apprehend Zimmerman, had a right to apprehend them.

You know it's bad when even your own lawyers comment on your actions in a negative way.

It seems Mr Zimmerman is in the market for a shotgun, and decided to visit the headquarter's of Kel-Tec and took a tour of the complex where the guns are manufactured. He also posed for a photo with the owner's son. While there, he asked about one of the shotguns they manufacture. The Kel-Tec headquarters do not sell to customers. So one wonders how and why Zimmerman was given the grand tour of the facility.

Kel-Tec are the manufacturers of the gun Zimmerman used to kill Martin. The factory Zimmerman decided to visit is apparently where said gun would have been made.

He was apparently given a personal tour by the son of Kel-Tec's owner. Awww.. talk about warm and loving hospitality and treatment.

Zimmerman's lawyers did not view his tour and visit kindly:

“We certainly would not have advised him to go to the factory that made the gun that he used to shoot Trayvon Martin through the heart,” Shawn Vincent, a spokesman for attorney Mark O’Mara, told Yahoo News. “That was not part of our public relations plan.”

No shit Sherlock..

They might as well make their company slogan "We proud to kill them niggers!"

Back