Fundamental(ist )Humor(this is not funny)

the preacher

fur is loose 666
Registered Senior Member
Fred wanted to ski

More than almost anything else, Fred wanted to ski. But Fred was afraid.

Fred was afraid that he might get hurt, or even killed. Fred was afraid that he wouldn't be very good. But most of all, Fred was afraid that people would laugh at his tiny little skis.

Fred would tell others, and himself, that he didn't want to ski. Fred would tell others, and himself, that skiing was cold, wet and nasty. But still Fred, and everyone else, knew that he really wanted to ski.

All alone in his cold, darkened room at the lodge, Fred would read the Good Book. When the skiers returned from the slopes, Fred would regale them with stories from the Bible.

Most of the skiers would roll their eyes and walk away. But some stayed and listened. It made Fred feel good to have people pay attention to him. It made him feel even better to be the one in the conversation who knew the most about the topic, so he continued his Bible studies.

One day Fred came across the following passage:

And he [Satan] brought him to Jerusalem, and set him on a pinnacle of the temple, and said unto him, If thou be the Son of God, cast thyself down from hence: For it is written, He shall give his angels charge over thee, to keep thee: And in their hands they shall bear thee up, lest at any time thou dash thy foot against a stone. And Jesus answering said unto him, It is said, Thou shalt not tempt the Lord thy God.

--Luke 4:9-12, KJV

Something snapped in Fred's already fragile mind that day. Skiing, he told himself, was nothing but a fancy way of leaping off of a pinnacle. The desire he felt to ski, he told himself, came from the devil. His avoidance of skiing, he told himself, was a virtue. When he refused to ski, he told himself, he was doing God's work.

Fred told himself these things again and again. When he finally convinced himself, he started telling others. Fred told them that skiing was cold, wet, nasty and dangerous. Fred told them that the desire to ski came from the devil. Fred told them that skiing was evil, and therefore skiers were evil.

But many people had been skiing, and knew that with proper precautions it was fun and safe. The non-skiers all had friends who were skiers, and knew they were no different from anyone else. So the skiers and their non-skiers friends just laughed at Fred.

Fred screamed and yelled and told the people that they had been deceived by the devil. Most just laughed. An unbalanced few joined him. In time, Fred and his followers moved away from the mountains to settle among the plainsmen.

Fred told the plainsmen that skiing was cold, wet, nasty and dangerous. Fred told them that the desire to ski came from the devil. Fred told them that skiing was against the laws of God, and therefore skiers were evil. Most of the plainsmen had never been skiing. Few had even met a skier. Knowing no better, many people accepted Fred's fantasy as reality. After all, he seemed so sincere.

Conservatives wanted to pass laws barring skiers from public office, or from jobs in teaching. Moderates said things like "Hate the skis, but love the skier!" Even liberals started saying things like "If people want to do cold, wet, nasty and dangerous things in the privacy of the mountains, that's none of our business." They never realized that skiing was a perfectly normal activity, and relatively safe if you take the proper precautions.

Every time a skier broke the law, or behaved poorly, Fred proclaimed it evidence of the moral weakness of skiers. When young men and women learned to ski while away at college, Fred proclaimed it evidence that the schools were under the control of an Atheist-Skier conspiracy. When the courts threw out anti-skier laws as unconstitutional, Fred claimed the judges to be the willing tools of Satan.

Every time a skier would get hurt or catch a cold Fred would claim it to be a punishment from God for their sins. When an avalanche struck, Fred proclaimed it to be God's judgment against skiers, heedless that many of the dead and injured were not skiers.

Fred, in his insanity, turned away from those who needed help. He encouraged his followers to turn away too. Worse, his insanity had spread to the point where liberal commentators were saying things like "But what about the babies, surely they never skied!"

A few could see where this madness would lead, but no one would listen. The day they feared came: A couple of Fred's followers decided God needed a little help. The followers found a young skier named Matt. The lured him to a desolate ski-slope, and they tortured him to death.

People were shocked and they were horrified. They held their breath. Surely, they thought, Fred would have to see that his hatred was wrong.

Fred arrived at Matt's funeral with a few of his followers. They carried signs with slogans like "God hates skiers" and "Matt burns in Hell."

Horror upon horrors! Fred was clearly insane. Surely the mainstream churches would speak against his insanity.

But few ever did.

So the clouds opened up, a bright light shone forth, and God spoke:

"Fred, you're a twisted bigoted idiot. There's nothing wrong with skiing. If I didn't want people to ski, I could easily have made it impossible."

"You Popes and Bishops and Ministers should be ashamed of yourselves for not speaking out against this man's delusion. You have been charged with spreading my word but have failed to spread the most basic element: Love!"

"You who call yourselves my children: What part of 'Love your neighbor as you would love yourself' did you not understand?"

"And you skiers, wipe that smug smile of your face. I've heard what you've been saying about snow boarders. Do the words 'do unto others' ring a bell?"

"Each and every one of you, listen up. I've said it before, I'll say it again: Go forth, and be excellent to one another. Get that right, and the rest will follow."

The last echoes of God's voice faded. The clouds came together. The great light of God faded.

Fred and his followers realized the great evil they had done. The mainstream churches realized that complacency was complicity. The skiers realized they too were not without faults. The snow boarders got some pants that fit.

Everybody forgave everybody else, and from that moment on everyone was excellent to one another.

In October of 1998 in Wyoming a pair of Christian thugs tortured to death Matthew Shepard, a young gay man. Pastor Fred Phelps and his supporters picketed Matthew's funeral with signs reading "God Hates Fags" and "Heaven Won't Take Fags-Hell Has Him Now." Some of the more liberal churches mumbled reproach. After two or three days of halfhearted attention, the media returned to discussing President Clinton's sex life.

God was notably absent from the discussions.

Thanks for sharing that, I especially like the ending of the story, even if it points out how painfully short real life falls. The real events are ones that I've been familiar with since they happened, and Fred Phelps and his flock still regularly protest at funerals of homosexuals, especially those who die of aids. You can check out what they have to say at http://www.godhatesfags.com though I wouldn't click that link if you've eaten recently, it may induce vomiting. You can also download some of Phelp's hate rants (or sermons, as it were), a fact I learned one evening (as I'm fond of retelling) when I was spending some intimate time with a good friend of mine, as music played through the mp3 playlist on his computer when one of those sermons came on, and we decided to finish up anyhow, he even seemed to enjoy it a bit. To this day he denies having intentionally thrown that in the mix, but he gets this stupid grin when he remembers it that makes me think otherwise.

Oh, also, am I to interperate
Go forth, and be excellent to one another.
as meaning that in this particular flavor of the story God is played by Kianu Reves? That's the image I got. "Go forth and be most excelent to one another, dudes! Oh and party on! *God fades away while playing air guitar to stairway to heaven*"

Well, a good parable you have come up with. It shows quite well that religion, respective: faith, can cause insane atrocities. And, after looking at the link Mystech has provided, I have to say that this Fred Phelps is a nutcase.

So, he has a problem with gays? Obviousyl, otherwise he would not do this shit. He even has this game on his site, in which gays are represented through pink swastikas...
And there is much more he doesn´t like, prostitutes and other people as far as I have read through the crap on his page.

Anyway, as far as I can judge, he sadly is not a single case, and from a religious point of view, there is some justification in his action. Of course, this solely depends on the subjective convictions, I still think that his actions are intolerable, and if there is a hell, this guy might well end up (or rather down) there.

That is about all there is to say, he is insane and perhaps a (possible) terrorist, but no one seems to interfere much... really sad.

It make me sick, what some fundi will do.
religious fundamentalism, should be outlawed. an impossiblity I know, but we got to do something. and no I dont know what. yet!

Hello All,

I would just like to add my two pence. Christianity cannot be blamed for the actions of individuals who commit heinous acts and profess to be Christians and yet are anything but. Christian = Christlike, so how can a murderer profess to be a Christian when no matter how much they twist scripture cannot justify their actions.

Thanks

Dave

Christlike, so how can a murderer profess to be a Christian when no matter how much they twist scripture cannot justify their actions.
The scripture actually says to kill gays, its just not all christians follow it, and some are even gay, go figure.
I think in a way it cant be blamed for a persons actions as we are all responsible for ourselves but in a way it can be blamed as you can only read and interpret what is there, and if it can be interpreted that way then it must be at least slightly wrong.

"Fred, you're a twisted bigoted idiot. There's nothing wrong with skiing. If I didn't want people to ski, I could easily have made it impossible."

Why not replace the word ski with pedophilia?

Why not replace the word ski with wife bashing?

Why not replace the word ski with torturer?

Why not replace the word ski with alcoholism?

Why not replace the Word ski with thrill killing?

How depraved the world is becoming. Sin is sin it has always been sin and no matter how you try your best to deceive the people of the world into thinking that sin is not sin. Gods Word Will Stand.

All praise The Ancient of Days

davewhite04 said:
Hello All,

I would just like to add my two pence. Christianity cannot be blamed for the actions of individuals who commit heinous acts and profess to be Christians and yet are anything but. Christian = Christlike, so how can a murderer profess to be a Christian when no matter how much they twist scripture cannot justify their actions.

Thanks

Dave
AND I SAY UNTO THEE
JESUS YOUR LORD KILLED

He replied, 'I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away. But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.' After Jesus had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem. ( Luke 19:26-28)
So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds. ( Revelation 2:22-23)
I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away an withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. (John 15:5-6)

Lemming3k said:
The scripture actually says to kill gays, its just not all christians follow it, and some are even gay, go figure.
I think in a way it cant be blamed for a persons actions as we are all responsible for ourselves but in a way it can be blamed as you can only read and interpret what is there, and if it can be interpreted that way then it must be at least slightly wrong.

Hello Lemming3k,

Where in scripture does it say kill gays?

Dave

Adstar said:

How depraved the world is becoming. Sin is sin it has always been sin and no matter how you try your best to deceive the people of the world into thinking that sin is not sin. Gods Word Will Stand.

All praise The Ancient of Days
perhaps i've got this wrong, but it appears to me the you and your god are advocating pedophilia, wife bashing, torturer, alcoholism, thrill killing.
because thats how it reads.
just one example.
Fred, you're a twisted bigoted idiot. There's nothing wrong with pedophilia. If I didn't want people to (be)pedophiles, I could easily have made it impossible.

davewhite04 said:
Hello Lemming3k,

Where in scripture does it say kill gays?

Dave

Leviticus 20; 13:

If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

Thanks Dreamwalker,

Dreamwalker said:
Leviticus 20; 13:

If a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

The above was written to the Levit priests back in the days of Moses, who were Jews not Christians.

Luke 6
40 The disciple is not above his master: but every one that is perfect shall be as his master.
41 And why beholdest thou the mote that is in thy brother's eye, but perceivest not the beam that is in thine own eye?
42 Either how canst thou say to thy brother, Brother, let me pull out the mote that is in thine eye, when thou thyself beholdest not the beam that is in thine own eye? Thou hypocrite, cast out first the beam out of thine own eye, and then shalt thou see clearly to pull out the mote that is in thy brother's eye.

John 8
6 This they said, tempting him, that they might have to accuse him. But Jesus stooped down, and with his finger wrote on the ground, as though he heard them not.
7 So when they continued asking him, he lifted up himself, and said unto them, He that is without sin among you, let him first cast a stone at her.
8 And again he stooped down, and wrote on the ground.
9 And they which heard it, being convicted by their own conscience, went out one by one, beginning at the eldest, even unto the last: and Jesus was left alone, and the woman standing in the midst.

Can you see that what these guys did was not what Christians are meant to behave like? They completely bypassed Christ’s word for words written to levit priests back in the days of Moses. Remember Christian means primarily following the teachings of Jesus Christ. Also, most Christians actually believe that everyone is a sinner including them so essentially we have no right to judge anyone.

Dave

dreamwalker said:
Leviticus 20; 13:

if a man lies with a man as one lies with a woman, both of them have done what is detestable. They must be put to death; their blood will be on their own heads.

davewhite04 said:
Thanks Dreamwalker,
The above was written to the Levit priests back in the days of Moses, who were Jews not Christians.
still scripture.
and jesus was a jew.

fahrenheit 451 said:
AND I SAY UNTO THEE
JESUS YOUR LORD KILLED

He replied, 'I tell you that to everyone who has, more will be given, but as for the one who has nothing, even what he has will be taken away. But those enemies of mine who did not want me to be king over them--bring them here and kill them in front of me.' After Jesus had said this, he went on ahead, going up to Jerusalem. ( Luke 19:26-28)

You deceiving liar.

Luke19: 26 and 27 where the end of a parable of the minas, you have deceptively added the next verse to make it seem it was Jesus telling his followers to kill. Jesus Never killed anyone while He was with us on earth.

The parable of the Minas: (to those who are interested)

Luke 19
11 Now as they heard these things, He spoke another parable, because He was near Jerusalem and because they thought the kingdom of God would appear immediately. 12Therefore He said: "A certain nobleman went into a far country to receive for himself a kingdom and to return. 13So he called ten of his servants, delivered to them ten minas, and said to them, "Do business till I come.' 14But his citizens hated him, and sent a delegation after him, saying, "We will not have this man to reign over us.'
15"And so it was that when he returned, having received the kingdom, he then commanded these servants, to whom he had given the money, to be called to him, that he might know how much every man had gained by trading. 16Then came the first, saying, "Master, your mina has earned ten minas.' 17And he said to him, "Well done, good servant; because you were faithful in a very little, have authority over ten cities.' 18And the second came, saying, "Master, your mina has earned five minas.' 19Likewise he said to him, "You also be over five cities.'
20"Then another came, saying, "Master, here is your mina, which I have kept put away in a handkerchief. 21For I feared you, because you are an austere man. You collect what you did not deposit, and reap what you did not sow.' 22And he said to him, "Out of your own mouth I will judge you, you wicked servant. You knew that I was an austere man, collecting what I did not deposit and reaping what I did not sow. 23Why then did you not put my money in the bank, that at my coming I might have collected it with interest?'
24"And he said to those who stood by, "Take the mina from him, and give it to him who has ten minas.' 25(But they said to him, "Master, he has ten minas.') 26"For I say to you, that to everyone who has will be given; and from him who does not have, even what he has will be taken away from him. 27But bring here those enemies of mine, who did not want me to reign over them, and slay them before me."'

So I will cast her on a bed of suffering, and I will make those who commit adultery with her suffer intensely, unless they repent of her ways. I will strike her children dead. Then all the churches will know that I am he who searches hearts and minds, and I will repay each of you according to your deeds. ( Revelation 2:22-23)

The book of Revelation is a Book of prophecy of future events. It was written after Jesus had been resurrected and taken into heaven. Of course the returning Messiah will destroy His enemies upon His return at the battle of Armageddon but while He was here at His first coming He never killed anyone.

I am the vine; you are the branches. If a man remains in me and I in him, he will bear much fruit; apart from me you can do nothing. If anyone does not remain in me, he is like a branch that is thrown away an withers; such branches are picked up, thrown into the fire and burned. (John 15:5-6)

Once again a parable about the future judgment of the last day. Of course those who reject Jesus will be cast into the lake of fire. So your 3 scriptures do not prove that Jesus killed anyone while He was on the earth.

All praise the Ancient Of Days

mustafhakofi said:
perhaps i've got this wrong, but it appears to me the you and your god are advocating pedophilia, wife bashing, torturer, alcoholism, thrill killing.
just one example.
Fred, you're a twisted bigoted idiot. There's nothing wrong with pedophilia. If I didn't want people to (be)pedophiles, I could easily have made it impossible.

You are only revealing the evil within yourself.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days

Fundamentalism is a way of thought built around a basic refusal to consider any foreign, alien, or complicated suggestions and reinforced with a feedback loop of religious psychologies.

Sad, very. :)

adstar said:

mustafhakofi said:
just one example.
adstar said:
You are only revealing the evil within yourself.

All Praise The Ancient Of Days
how is she?
thats exactly how it reads.
obviously you cant see it, as your blinded by faith.

pavlosmarcos said:
still scripture.
and jesus was a jew.

Well Pavlos, it seems the post that explained this has went straight over your head. This is understandable if you didn't take the time to read it and comprehend it.

Jesus was in fact a Jew, well observed.

Dave

Back