Fleas and Lice

I think the head lice variety is really a problem now...as the little bloodsuckers are evolving immunity to many of the treatments that are used to kill them. My sister fought a six-month battle with them last year with her kids.

I agree. I never worried about them when my son was in grade school, but they have outbreak after outbreak now at my daughters school. They seem to be getting tougher to get rid of.

no idea to either of your questions but as to the general one about wether they can live on mamals it answers it quite well

correct me if I'm wrong..but spiders are archnides (sp?) having 8 legs...insects have 6

So who's brave enough to admit they've had pubic lice. I have...got'em off a tittie dancer after a night of level 10 sex. It was worth it. They itched so bad..they make you scratch your man-forest in front of a nun. :)

dam it, mac beat me to it:p

spiders arnt incects orleander, they are related to crabs and scorpians

My college roommate had them in high school. She had to totally shave. It was the only way she could get rid of them without telling her Mom.

And I heard in college that the floor above us had an out-break because one girl had them and they jumped from towel to towel in the shower. Don't know if that's even possible.

Never seen one to count its legs. LOL, I see Mac has. ;)
What about bedbugs? Are they a louse?
Bedbugs are true bugs. They are not especially closely related to either fleas or lice. The fact that they all subsist as parasites by sucking blood is a textbook case of convergent evolution.

Any insect that sucks blood has the potential of passing on disease. Fortunately these bug s mostly feed off humans, and don't feed off other animals that are carriers of disease that could infect humans.

Edit: Bastasd As, you were quicker this time :)

anything which drinks blood can pass on blood born disease

Wow, wikipedia is sooooo wrong then.
Bedbugs seem to possess all of the necessary prerequisites for being capable of passing diseases from one host to another, but there have been no known cases of bed bugs passing disease from host to host. There are at least twenty-seven known pathogens (some estimates are as high as forty-one) that are capable of living inside a bed bug or on its mouthparts. Extensive testing has been done in laboratory settings that also conclude that bed bugs are unlikely to pass disease from one person to another.[13] Therefore bedbugs are less dangerous than some more common insects such as the flea

Orleander said:
really? Are either of them related to spiders? Bedbugs? Are bedbugs lice?

Eventually all life is related. But Spiders are in another class.
Bedbugs are insects, they represent a family within the True Bugs. So no, they are not lice.

Fleas:
Kingdom Animalia-- Animals
---Phylum Arthropoda-- Arthropods
----Subphylum Hexapoda-- Hexapods
------Class Insecta-- Insects
-------Subclass Pterygota-- Winged insects
--------Infraclass Neoptera-- Modern, wing-folding insects
---------Order Siphonaptera-- Fleas

Biting Lice:
-----Class Insecta-- Insects
------Subclass Pterygota-- Winged insects
-------Infraclass Neoptera-- Modern, wing-folding insects
--------Order Phthiraptera-- Biting lice, Chewing lice

Spiders:
----Subphylum Chelicerata
-----Class Arachnida-- Arachnids
------Order Araneae-- Spiders

Bed Bugs:
-----Class Insecta-- Insects
------Subclass Pterygota-- Winged insects
-------Infraclass Neoptera-- Modern, wing-folding insects
--------Order Hemiptera-- Hemipterans, True bugs
---------Suborder Heteroptera-- True bugs
----------Infraorder Cimicomorpha-- Thaumastocorid bugs
-----------Superfamily Cimicoidea
------------Family Cimicidae-- Bed bugs

And then you got also the Booklice & Barklice which form the order Psocoptera.
And of course there are the plantlice (also known as Aphids) which form the superfamily Aphidoidea within the Hemipterans (True Bugs).

:)

Both fleas and lice can live on people, but they are species specific.

Humans get hair lice and it has nothing to do with dirty hair, in fact the cleaner the hair the easier it is for the lice to move around.

Humans get human fleas. The fleas on dogs and cats are usually cat fleas (in the UK).

Dog and cat fleas can bite humans but would die if they only had access to human blood. They need dog or cat blood.

A flea will jump towards a heat source, so an old trick was to put a bowl of hot water in a flea infested area and watch the flease jump into the water and drown.

I have also heard that they are attracted to the carbon dioxide that we exhale...and that dormant flea eggs are brought out of dormancy when high enough concentrations of CO2 are present. I'm not sure if this is true.

Wow, wikipedia is sooooo wrong then.
Wikipedia is correct. There are always isolated exceptions to all general rules (except this one of course). Some blood-borne diseases are more difficult to transmit than others. If you find and remove a tick from yourself or your pet within 24 hours of its attachment, the public health authorities insist that it won't be able to transmit Lyme disease. (Which incidentally makes faith in the systemic poisons like Advantage just a little naive, since it takes a parasite a couple of days to be killed by it and fall off.) Perhaps bedbugs have such narrow feeding tubes that blood cells can enter but the most fearsome diseases can't exit, given the suction that is obviously applied to facilitate feeding. I don't see a complete reassurance that they can't transmit more mundane pathogens like Streptococcus.
Eventually all life is related. But Spiders are in another class.
Fleas: Phylum Arthropods - Class Insects
Spiders: Phylum Arthropods - Class Arachnids
The other classes of arthropods are:
  • Myriapods: centipedes and millipedes, including misnamed "many-legged" creatures such as the pillbug. Many house centipedes are mistaken for the silverfish they resemble except for the number of legs. Centipedes are predators like spiders and help keep our environment from being overrun by insects, but like some spiders they can cause us pain if attacked.
  • Crustaceans, which don't have a standard number of legs. Yes folks, lobsters, shrimp, crawfish, etc., can be thought of as aquatic insects. Or tarantulas or centipedes, if that makes you more comfortable eating one. :)

I have also heard that they are attracted to the carbon dioxide that we exhale...and that dormant flea eggs are brought out of dormancy when high enough concentrations of CO2 are present. I'm not sure if this is true.

Sounds as though you are confusing mosquitoes and fleas. Dormant flea eggs can be brought out of hibernation by vibrations. The author who created the face hugger in Alien had studies his entomology.

These immature fleas will eventually spin silken cocoons in which they will develop (pupate) into adult fleas. Cocoons are sticky, attracting dirt and debris which will easily camouflage them. Under optimal conditions, new adults are ready to emerge from their pupal cocoons within two weeks. They can, however, remain in their cocoons up to 12 months in the absence of a host or unfavorable climatic conditions. Vibrations and/or elevated temperature stimulate adults to emerge. This ability of flea pupae to wait until a host arrives can result in a sudden increase of adult fleas when they emerge simultaneously from many accumulated flea pupae.
http://www.allnaturalbioginesis.com/fleas.html

I know it's true for mosquitoes :)

Back