Favorite artwork

I like this for it's powerful forwardness. I like that she's not disproportionate or ultra feminine, but shaped as someone who used their torso as a mermaid would have to for mobility.

I also have a love of mermaids, my grandfather would tell us mermaid stories as children and had many figurines, trinkets, paintings and sculptures of mermaids around. He even had a watch that he claimed a mermaid gave him when he almost drown while canoeing as a child. None of us ever figured out if the story was real or not. Fishing through all their photographs after both my grandparents passed, there was a picture of my grandmother as a camp counselor circa 1918 and on the back in my grandfathers handwriting are the words "Siren". They married 8 years later. :)

I like this for it's powerful forwardness. I like that she's not disproportionate or ultra feminine, but shaped as someone who used their torso as a mermaid would have to for mobility.

I also have a love of mermaids, my grandfather would tell us mermaid stories as children and had many figurines, trinkets, paintings and sculptures of mermaids around. He even had a watch that he claimed a mermaid gave him when he almost drown while canoeing as a child. None of us ever figured out if the story was real or not. Fishing through all their photographs after both my grandparents passed, there was a picture of my grandmother as a camp counselor circa 1918 and on the back in my grandfathers handwriting are the words "Siren". They married 8 years later. :)

He might have been boating in Silver Springs Florida where the mermaids live.

mr-and-mrs-andrews-by-thomas-gainsborough.jpg

Back