faster than light?

Originally posted by atheroy
i still don't believe this theory because why would our perception of time chnange? it doesn't matter how fast we go time will still pass at the same rate we have always perceived it too.

Your perception of time doesn't change. Your observation of time passing for others does however. For example, lets use the standard person on earth and person on rocketship. Lets say the rocketship and the earth are moving away from each other at 7/8 the speed of light. This makes the time dilation factor approximately 2. In other words, the person on the earth sees the rocketship travelling at 7/8 the speed of light, and sees the person inside the rocketship as taking twice as long to do anything as normal, or in other words, time is passing half as slowly as normal. The person on the rocketship sees the earth travelling away at 7/8 the speed of light, and sees the person on the earth as having slowed down.

i still don't see why actual time elasped should be altered, i.e you come back younger than everyone else (and you've still aged, just not as much as other people). genes don't pay heed to any concept of time, they will always divide at a certain rate- which equals ageing- that is not affected by perception or anything else, therefore travelling at the speed of light will mean you only get somewhere really fast not time travel. though my understanding on this theory is not quite straight i'll admit, so perhaps it requires some further research by me.

Last edited:
Originally posted by atheroy
genes don't pay heed to any concept of time, they will always divide at a certain rate- which equals ageing- that is not affected by perception or anything else, ...
Maybe "perception" is a misleading term. The fact is that from the earth's reference frame, time on the spaceship is passing more slowly; it's not just a matter of perception. This is well attested by expiriment. Particles travelling at high speeds take longer to decay than particles travelling slowly.

but relatively our solar system is booting along going "upwards" at a phenominal rate of speed, but your point is still valid. i just don't know how to put it all together.

The speed of light is nothing other than a physical manifestation of the rate at which this 'reality' is being created.

You cannot do things faster than they are created because theres nothing 'here' thats not being created at the speed of light. Space, time matter, everything is being created constantly.

To overcome this limitation means to leave this level of reality, to goto the level thats creating this one. There creation would be different, though i suspect th rules would be simarlar

speed of light stuff

I have been wondering about this issue myself and it was one of the things i was hoping to discuss here when i Joined up.

Someone come up with an example with better math if you like but If a ship traveled to another star and took 8 years round trip.
And if 30 years had passed on Earth, the it would follow that the ship had ceased to exist for 22 years, in my mind.

Back