Evolution question

When you have diarrhea, how do you know whether you're shitting or pissing?

I should congratulate you for such question . If you are a male you have two orifice if you are a female you have two If you are a chicken you have one, so my friend I am a male. you make the selection

All I'm saying is that individuals can overcome instinct.

Sir let me add some more to the evolution question:

Why the poor dumb chicken will sit on the eggs , how does she know that sitting on the eggs there will come some chicks how that was put into her brain ?
A woman might know she is pregnant and she cant helped she will carry the offspring, but a chicken have no such instruction.
Take other example the penguins . After hatching the poor slab ( male ) will sit on the egg after the female goes and fatten itself , and they exchange places .

All of those behaviours evolved over long periods of time. Remember that something like a chicken or penguin didn't just suddenly spring into existence from nothing. Rather, they both evolved from earlier birds, which in turn evolved from even earlier birds, which evolved from dinosaurs etc.

I should congratulate you for such question . If you are a male you have two orifice if you are a female you have two If you are a chicken you have one, so my friend I am a male. you make the selection
Well, how do you know it's coming out one end rather than out of the other?
Mind you, chickens have the same internal organs as we do they just all empty out into the cloaca instead of in mid air as with us.

Last edited:
Sir let me add some more to the evolution question:

Why the poor dumb chicken will sit on the eggs , how does she know that sitting on the eggs there will come some chicks how that was put into her brain ?
A woman might know she is pregnant and she cant helped she will carry the offspring, but a chicken have no such instruction.
Take other example the penguins . After hatching the poor slab ( male ) will sit on the egg after the female goes and fatten itself , and they exchange places .

It doesn't matter how complex the behavior is. I don't know if the chicken knows what she is doing, she just knows she has to do it.

If you want to tell me cloaca is the the grand station I accept , otherwise , you are attempting to derail the question

Mind you, chickens have the same internal organs as we do they just all empty out into the cloaca instead of in mid air as with us.

I don't have problem with the anatomy of the chicken

Can you answer as to who thought the chicken to sit on the eggs ?

All of those behaviours evolved over long periods of time. Remember that something like a chicken or penguin didn't just suddenly spring into existence from nothing. Rather, they both evolved from earlier birds, which in turn evolved from even earlier birds, which evolved from dinosaurs etc.

This is a standard answer " give me time "

There was a find in China some hatch-ling dinosaur in a nest , so the process was the same at that time, do you want more time ?

True, but the OP suggests that the Chicken can't tell the difference from something coming down the reproductive tract vs the digestive tract just because they both end in the cloaca, but that hardly makes sense.

The egg spends 20 hours in the Shell Gland (uterus) before being laid, and unlike the claim of the OP, the egg is NOT soft when laid but is the same as when you buy it in the market, so I presume the assumption that it would feel the same as a birds normally small and soft waste is highly unlikely, particularly since "The reproductive tract also exits through this area (the cloaca) but when a hen lays an egg the vagina folds over to allow the egg to leave through the vent without coming into contact with the feces or urine.", so there are also varying internal sensations which are likely quite different.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Factsheets/Anatomy_and_Physiology/Anatomy_Female_reproductive.pdf

http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Factsheets/Anatomy_and_Physiology/Anatomy_digestive.pdf

Arthur

There was a find in China some hatch-ling dinosaur in a nest , so the process was the same at that time, do you want more time ?

Not at all.

The behavioral strategy of protecting eggs (and sitting on them is just a variation of that theme) evolved along with the dinosaurs as an advancement over the amphibians with their shelless eggs.

http://people.eku.edu/ritchisong/birdnests.html

Your posts seem to indicate that you don't believe that BEHAVIORs can evolve just like physical changes can.

But of course they can, and for the same reasons.

Arthur

Last edited:
True, but the OP suggests that the Chicken can't tell the difference from something coming down the reproductive tract vs the digestive tract just because they both end in the cloaca, but that hardly makes sense.

The egg spends 20 hours in the Shell Gland (uterus) before being laid, and unlike the claim of the OP, the egg is NOT soft when laid but is the same as when you buy it in the market, so I presume the assumption that it would feel the same as a birds normally small and soft waste is highly unlikely, particularly since "The reproductive tract also exits through this area (the cloaca) but when a hen lays an egg the vagina folds over to allow the egg to leave through the vent without coming into contact with the feces or urine.", so there are also varying internal sensations which are likely quite different.

http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Factsheets/Anatomy_and_Physiology/Anatomy_Female_reproductive.pdf

http://www.ca.uky.edu/smallflocks/Factsheets/Anatomy_and_Physiology/Anatomy_digestive.pdf

Arthur

Arthur I appreciate your input which is great I am learning from your experience.

Let me add. question and observation . I noticed the chicks prior laying eggs , they behaved normally (as in the past 4 to 5 months ) then one day their attitude during feeding become erratic ( they did not care much for food , but started to run into bush and hide , the next day happen the same, so in dis cays I follow , and found eggs.
The question here why hide , I am the one who raised them , I have done no harm to them, so I concluded that there is a natural process. Based on that , I ask who trained them or it must be a programmed process.
So the question . what is evolution , as for me the behavior must be programmed . We might go far back in time , but the behavior it is the same . Protect the specie from extinction. the word PROTECT why what fore . As an animal , we care for food and shelter as for desire for reproduction that is something added . A male does not dive much for reproduction , he cares only pleasure so for him is food shelter and pleasure reproduction is some thing that gets in the way of his pleasure,

Evolution programs behavior. Is that so hard to understand?

Well yeah, I think it can be very hard to understand.

Behaviors which might have taken millions of years and many hundreds of thousands of generations to develop can appear to be almost magical, you know, like the dance of the bees upon returning to the hive, that tells their sisters the relative direction and approximate distance to the source of pollen they found.

The question is why do they run an hide when they lay an egg , (...)

Dude, is a well-known fact of nature that all chickens are big on hide & seek -- they play it all the time (except when they're shittin', since during such private moments the game is suspended by default). So, it's not really that they're hiding in order to lay an egg, is just that so happens that they're laying eggs while being hidden.

I have been cleaning their shit for the lat 5 months and they even crap on my shoes

Take it as a thankyou note.

Again How did they get programmed.

C++. Some of the more recent species also use Java.

Bird poop is smaller and softer than an egg . . . this might give the hen a hint about what to do with it. Imagine trying to shove an egg into your rear-end . . . . . it might get your attention!

Behaviors which might have taken millions of years and many hundreds of thousands of generations to develop can appear to be almost magical, you know, like the dance of the bees upon returning to the hive, that tells their sisters the relative direction and approximate distance to the source of pollen they found.[/QUOTE

Let me ask about amphibian ( sea turtle ) she come out and buries her eggs on the beach, and does not protect her eggs.
The alligator buries her alligator on the beach in sand also bu the alligator does protects her eggs and he offspring . ( the alligator does not sit on her eggs.
As for me the mentioned specie are more primitive then the dinosaurs . So if we want to look into when the programming began it could be said way back to fish.

Behaviors which might have taken millions of years and many hundreds of thousands of generations to develop can appear to be almost magical, you know, like the dance of the bees upon returning to the hive, that tells their sisters the relative direction and approximate distance to the source of pollen they found.

Let me ask about amphibian ( sea turtle ) she come out and buries her eggs on the beach, and does not protect her eggs.
The alligator buries her alligator on the beach in sand also bu the alligator does protects her eggs and he offspring . ( the alligator does not sit on her eggs.
As for me the mentioned specie are more primitive then the dinosaurs . So if we want to look into when the programming began it could be said way back to fish.

Behaviors are specie specific.

What works for river living crocodiles doesn't necessarily work for ocean dwelling sea turtles, but each has evolved an effective strategy....

The sea turtle does indeed protect the eggs because the sand, above the high tide mark is a very benign place, much more so than the open ocean where the turtles live. The hatchlings then only have a relatively short period of exposure after hatching and that is mitigated by the turtles all laying their eggs on a lunar cycle thus ensuring the hatchings occur in a short period of time thus preventing over predation.

And plenty of fish protect their eggs and young.

I used to raise Angel fish, and like most Cichlids, they prepare a place to lay their eggs (clean it off, dig holes etc) and then lay their eggs and then fan them to maintain water flow and then raise their young (at least for a short while). Some of them raise them in their mouths, some of them produce food off their sides (Discus) etc...

DSCF7799.jpg

Yeah, if you like.

Eggs in general need to be kept at a fairly constant temperature in order to produce live young. That has been true going right back to before there was any life on the land on Earth.

In the ocean, keeping eggs at a constant temperature is usually not much of a problem. So, many fish, for example, just leave their eggs in safe place. On land, temperature variations are usually more extreme. Amphibians often carry their eggs around with them. Some reptiles and other creatures who lay eggs on land and then leave them often bury them in the ground in an attempt to reduce the temperature variation.

If you're going to lay eggs on or above the ground, then you start to need to actively control the temperature. Dinosaurs and their ancestors solved this problem by sitting on them.

Coming back to how such behaviours evolved, it is obvious. Those creatures, way back in the mists of the past, who did NOT keep their eggs at an appropriate temperature, died out because they did not produce live young. Those who happened to sit on their eggs for long enough managed to pass their genes on to the next generation.

Initially, the time required to sit on eggs would have been less than it is for the temperate-zone birds that exist today. If you live in the tropics, for example, temperature variations in the air are not as extreme.

All that is needed is some small difference in survival rates between those animals who sat on their eggs for a longer time and those who sat for a shorter time. Given that, natural selection does the rest and tends to favour the longer sitters. That, in turn, allows creatures to move successful to climates where temperature variations are larger, and so on.

Complex behaviours don't appear overnight. They evolve step by step over many millions of years.

birds have gizzards . We don't have gizzards . Maybe the appendix was a gizzard at one time ? Don't know ?

It's an instinct. Most have it, some don't. Those that don't loose thier eggs.

So how do they aquiere the instinct.

I get this fast word evolution instinct . but the animal is dumb , but is born with certain programmed attitude to protect the specie from becoming extinct .
The question again the animal does not know about death , why is he protecting the lineage?

Eggs are a great food source to other animals. If the fowl does not protect them, it's offspring will not survive and it's line vanish.

No need for knowledge or decision making by the fowl. Those who have the protective behavior breed those who also have it.

Did you ever see how a goose will protect the flock? Even if it is not thier own?

We recently had an African Goose who took over the protection of a flock of Egyptian geese, along with the parents. All survive to this day.

Back