Evidence that God is real

What is behind that veil, Jan?
Denial and rejection of God.
Jan, the veil was your metaphor.

You said:
...your atheism is the veil...
So, you've said that the veil is "atheism", and if I sloughed off the veil, I would see "denial and rejection". Is that what you mean to say?

I am asking what will we see behind that veil once we slough it off?

What manifestations specifically are you asking us to accept that are God's doing?
Maybe show us something that we apparently see yet deny.
Show us a thing that contradicts our view of a world that runs without God.

Not vague things like "God's love" or "our existence" or "acceptance of God".
Can you show us something that is a differential of the two theories (i.e. conclusively supports one and refutes the other)?

Try give up your delusion and see for yourself.
How would we do that, in your opinion, Jan?
You've told us we cannot see God or know him or anything. How will you help us see something we cannot see?

This is why we are not communicating. You have some nonsensical notions about God and theism.
Well, it would very much help communication to read posts before responding to them.

Following your posts, you said: if I were to lift the veil of atheism, what I would see is denial and rejection.

I'm pretty sure you mixed up your veil metaphor.

Please explain what you mean by “my view”?
Surely it would make more sense if you expressed your own view, rather than me.

What I am asking is based on your words: if there is no external evidence of God, how do you know he's not in your head? How do you know your idea is not tautological? i.e.: "God IS, because God just IS."

Give up your delusion, then realise it for yourself. Nobody believes in God because somebody proved God to them.
This is something that has to be realised. Such is the nature of the subject matter.
Ah. We don't need a compelling reason to change our minds, you ask us to just have faith.

You can experience it, but you deny and reject God, so it is currently outside of your reach.
So help us reach it.

How do we come to experience it? How would we know when we have come to experience it? Do we just have faith?

You seemed to be obsessed with the need to have God showed, or presented to you, rather than find out for yourself.
And how would I go about doing that?

Why do you feel you are exempt from finding out for yourself?
OK, you're telling me to find out for myself. Which means I am to be satisfied with the answers I get.
So, if I arrive at a different conclusion that you, how is my conclusion any less valid than yours? We both sought; we both found.
How would you be able to show me where I went awry?
How do you even know I went awry at all? Maybe I reached the valid conclusion.
Other than your own faith in yourself, how can you be sure conclusion is the right one?

Last edited:
JamesR has asked the question. The question is what evidence can theists present for the existence of God.

In a thread 600 posts long, you have been unable to answer that question - even for your own case.

It would hardly be fair to expect you to explicitly say "I have none".
But your silence speaks for you.

I’ve already posited Bill Craig’s arguments as decent evidence for Gods existence as presumably understood by atheists. Refute it when you’re ready.

Jan.

Two symptoms:
1)
Sometimes when you answer a question with a question, your opponent can realise where they are going wrong. But it requires them to answer the question.
But the rest of the time, when some poster - such as you - responds to all questions of substance with deflections and irrelevancies and evasions,
all arranged to deliver personal disparagements,
and often phrased as questions,

instead of answers,

their "opponent" will realize that they are dealing with a fundamentally dishonest person who has a concealed agenda.
Someone who - in the Christian vernacular - has lost their soul to the Great Deceiver.

2)
Do you think you could decipher the reality of that text, objectively?
One does not "decipher the reality" of a text. Deciphering is not done "objectively". The text is not in code - it means what it says, directly. "Reality of that text" is not involved - meaning is. And so forth.

Note this misuse of language is central and critical to the role of that sentence. Jan is trying to sell - suggest via innuendo - an invalid interpretation of an irrelevant Bible quote, as a frame for the discussion - he wants to sell the context of whether or not "Scientists are fools", without being accountable for making the claim. So he sets the reader up to provide that meaning on their own, by posting what is essentially meaningless unless they so provide.

Liars, especially those with an essentially political agenda, use words like that, to create a kind of fog in which they can market illusions and deal in innuendo without accountability. They have an interest in framing discussions as a vague arrangement of accusations and disparagements of other people that cannot be pinned on them - this deflects their own accountability for their falsehoods and slanders (they become the frame of the discussion, rather than assertions for which they would have to answer).

And this entire discussion is, for the overt Abrahamic theists posting here, merely a pretext for doing that. If they had evidence or argument for the reality of their God, it would be counterproductive of them to provide it - that would legitimize the request and contribute to a discussion, and their agenda is disparagement of all such requests and discussions, along with the entire worldview involved.

Last edited:
I’ve already posited Bill Craig’s arguments as decent evidence for Gods existence as presumably understood by atheists.
You have not.
You have not even "posited" any of Craig's arguments as examples of decent arguments - not a single one has appeared in your posting as an example.
And of course treating "argument" and "evidence" as interchangeable terms is par for the fog. Misuse of language serves deception.

Last edited:
And dictionaries, of course.

What don't you understand?
The part where you showed a dictionary definition of the word God that uses the word supernatural in the description, or, if you were capable of doing the necessary intellectual leg work, a historical or philosophical precedent for the use of the word supernatural to describe God outside of atheism.

The part where you showed a dictionary definition of the word God that uses the word supernatural in the description, or, if you were capable of doing the necessary intellectual leg work, a historical or philosophical precedent for the use of the word supernatural to describe God outside of atheism.
The American Heritage III, the first definition of the uncapitalized word "god" (the second of the specialty capitalized term English word God, which specifies the Abrahamic monodeity):
" 2) A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshipped - - - 3) An image of a supernatural being: - - "

The term "supernatural" is simply accurate - a standard defining characteristic of deity.
If theists didn't use it, the question would be why not.
But of course theists use it all the time, including overt Abrahamic theists - especially about other people's gods, naturally, but also about their own on occasion: http://www.equip.org/bible_answers/silly-believe-noahs-flood/
Furthermore, reason forces us to look beyond the natural world to a supernatural Designer who not only sustains the world but supernaturally intervenes in the affairs of his created handiwork—which is precisely what the Genesis Flood account entails.

Just realized I got muddled up and responded to the wrong text.
Your talk of pramanas sent me to their earlier mention ( www.sciforums.com/threads/what-does-god-do.160177/page-21 .... there was an earlier thread but it got sent to archives which are not so easily searchable ... I think you come in on the next page).

Aside from the issues surrounding the introduction of pramanas)

Musika:

billvon consulted a dictionary and discovered, among other things, the follow definitions of God:

"a being or object believed to have more than natural attributes and powers and to require human worship specifically : one controlling a particular aspect or part of reality"
"A superhuman person regarded as having power over nature and human fortunes"​

Dictionaries describe how words are typically used. One would expect something like the Oxford dictionary to reflect theistic ideas of God more than it would reflect atheistic usages of that term, I would have thought. And here we have the Oxford dictionary defining God as "superhuman" with "power over nature".

The term "supernatural", of course, means "above nature". One who has power over nature is, by definition, supernatural.
I can't help but notice the hand wiggling you employ to equate "having power over" to be identical to "being above".
As far as I am aware, theists generally assert that God has power over nature. This doesn't strike me as an atheist distortion of theistic belief. Ergo, to describe God as "supernatural" is a no-brainer.

Possibly you ought to reconsider taking people to task and consult a dictionary yourself before making silly claims in future.
Yet for some funny reason, atheists prefer to use their own word, "supernatural", instead of any one of a bevy of words theists already provide that satisfy the same requirements, eg transcendent, immanent, omnipotent, etc.
You have, as yet, still failed to explain why it is the case that atheists bring exclusive terminology to define the subject.

I see the potential for a bet each way from you here, just like Jan, of course. Because God is in every leaf and rock, you will tell us that God is "natural". The leaves and rocks are natural, God is the reality that underlies them, ergo God is natural. But at the same time, you tell us that God is Supreme Enabler, without which nothing. Ergo, God has power over "nature" as well as being embedded in it. So God is both natural and supernatural.
Supernatural things have no fundamental relationship with the "reality" of things. No relationship of contingency exists between an "enabler" and "reality" if you want to run around calling things "supernatural". No doubt this is a convenient euphemistic tool of thought for atheists, since a dumbed down version of God provides easier access to their arguments (at least for as long as the fact that atheists are utilizing their own euphemistic language is glossed over, I suppose).

The point is, of course, that if we remove the "supernatural" from the God, we are left with just the rocks and the leaves, with no God in sight. Or, to put it another way, the God merges with the rocks and leaves and has none of the personal attributes or supreme abilities associated with one who has power over nature.
Actually if you remove the supernatural from a designated supernatural thing, the designated thing ceases to exist.
This is why arguments against supernatural things are easier to float than transcendent or immanent things.
Gee.
Now what supposed agenda do you suppose atheists could have in corralling the definition of God into a more easily dismissible category at the onset of all their arguments?
Is bypassing philosophy the mark of an intelligent argument or a political one?
As you will recall, I have invited you on several occasions in this thread to present your toolbox that goes beyond empiricism - the tools that allow you to discover the evidence that God is real. Yet you remain reluctant to do that. Why is that?
In this thread and many more, I have brought it up many times, with discussions about the variety within epistemology according to western and eastern philosophical traditions. It appeared to fly over your head, so I started discussing Andamon Islanders, medieval painters and history, utilizing the services of professionals like mechanics, doctors and lawyers by the otherwise inept, etc. Your standard response is to try to swallow it all under the umbrella of empiricism.

What is your non-empirical evidence for God? Can you present some of it?
Sure.
The main contributing problem here is your automatic compulsion to approach such evidence empirically. So your q then becomes, "Can you empirically provide non-empirical evidence of God?", which is, of course, equal parts absurd and weird.

Cosmology is a set of theories about nature, is it not?

What does it mean to you to ask whether a theory is natural? It could be that I'm not understanding your question.
You were talking about (empirical, of course) evidence. You were saying that things outside (empirical, of course) evidence are supernatural. I introduced cosmology and events pre-big bang as subjects rife with dubious empirical connections (or even flat out of bounds to empiricism) and alluded to your presumed reluctance to categorize them as "supernatural" despite them meeting your same criteria (being "beyond empiricism .... as a further detail, I expect you would go the extra mile and explain how such things are not "beyond nature", but exist as the empowering core of reality, even if they are empirically inaccessible, hence use of the word "supernatural" would be interpreted as a dishonest ploy to dumb down science yada yada .... ). Now you have come forth and said, no, we have theories (pural, of course) to explain such things. So do theories equate to evidence (for instance, can one acquire a nobel prize by a theory alone? If not, why?) or are you rolling back the terms under discussion?

Please give us a few specific examples drawn from these vast tracts. That could help to advance the discussion.
One could point to any example, since empiricism has a fundamental requirement for epistemological incompleteness (aka ignorance) in order to function (can you think of anything scientists have studied that has no more requirement for further research?).
This is not to say this is because scientists are a bunch of nasty dummies (although, on account of the human condition, they certainly can be on occassion), but rather, the weighing in of the finite (human powers of perception) vs the infinite (the macro and micro universe) always swings the scales in one direction for as long as these two things face each other off in the epistemological boxing ring.

I mentioned cosmology and pre-big bang because they are easily identifiable as clear candidates of impossible victory, even in the pathological minds of those beset by the violence of such an epistemological arena.

Last edited:
Jan, the veil was your metaphor.

You said:

So, you've said that the veil is "atheism", and if I sloughed off the veil, I would see "denial and rejection". Is that what you mean to say?

Quote me, then we can address it.

I am asking what will we see behind that veil once we slough it off?

Find out.

manifestations specifically are you asking us to accept that are God's doing?

I don’t recall asking.

Maybe show us something that we apparently see yet deny.

That is for you to find out.

Show us a thing that contradicts our view of a world that runs without God.

Your question makes no sense.
Do you believe that the world runs itself?

Not vague things like "God's love" or "our existence" or "acceptance of God".

It’s not your place to restrict how I choose to describe God. These are the kind of fundamental things that you will realise. Making it easier to not rely on your atheism.

Can you show us something that is a differential of the two theories (i.e. conclusively supports one and refutes the other)

That is currently irrelevant, as it doesn’t do anything to understand that God is real.

How would we do that, in your opinion, Jan?
You've told us we cannot see God or know him or anything. How will you help us see something we cannot see?

I’ve stated the text, The fool has said in his heart, there is no God. That means it is a choice that has been made. Only you can break the spell you cast for yourself.

Well, it would very much help communication to read posts before responding to them.

It is because I read your posts, why I know there is a lack of communication.

Following your posts, you said: if I were to lift the veil of atheism, what I would see is denial and rejection.

You would realise that your denial and rejection of God is the reason you for your atheism.

I'm pretty sure you mixed up your veil metaphor.

I don’t think so. But feel free to point out where you think they are mixed up.

Surely it would make more sense if you expressed your own view, rather than me.

Maybe, if I knew what you were referring to.

What I am asking is based on your words: if there is no external evidence of God, how do you know he's not in your head? How do you know your idea is not tautological? i.e.: "God IS, because God just IS."

Where have I stated there is no external evidence of God? Did I not say I accept Bill Craigs arguments as sufficient evidence for God.

Ah. We don't need a compelling reason to change our minds, you ask us to just have faith.

Another example of a lack of communication.
I state what I mean in simple easy terms, but you feel the need to interpret what I say so you can attempt to justify you own world view.

You need to stop this if you are sincere. But I don’t think you are. You are simply denying and rejecting to justify your view.

So help us reach it.

I’m trying to, but your atheism prevents you.

How do we come to experience it? How would we know when we have come to experience it? Do we just have faith?

A pointless question at this moment in time.
Take it one step at a time.

And how would I go about doing that?

Already explained.

OK, you're telling me to find out for myself. Which means I am to be satisfied with the answers I get.

That’s for you to find out.

So, if I arrive at a different conclusion that you, how is my conclusion any less valid than yours?

Cross that bridge when you come to it.
The only thing theists have in common is their acceptance of, and belief in God. Theism is only the beginning.

We both sought; we both found.

It doesn’t work like that.
You don’t need to seek out God if you give up denial and rejection of God. That should be your goal if you are sincere.

How would you be able to show me where I went awry?

I’m currently showing you where you are going awry.

How do you even know I went awry at all?

Are we talking future events?

Maybe I reached the valid conclusion.
Other than your own faith in yourself, how can you be sure conclusion is the right one?

Which conclusion have I come to?
You’re the one who has concluded there is no God.

Theist - belief in God
Atheist - does not believe in God.

Jan.

You have, as yet, still failed to explain why it is the case that atheists bring exclusive terminology to define the subject.
Atheists describe other people's gods in exactly the same terms that theists use to describe other people's gods.
Yet for some funny reason, atheists prefer to use their own word, "supernatural", instead of any one of a bevy of words theists already provide that satisfy the same requirements, eg transcendent, immanent, omnipotent, etc.
They don't. It is quite possible for something to be transcendent or immanent without being supernatural, for example.
Actually if you remove the supernatural from a designated supernatural thing, the designated thing ceases to exist.
Hold that thought.

The term "supernatural" is simply accurate - a standard defining characteristic of deity.

Loved the link

Especially the two sections below

My highlights

First, common sense demands that we allow for both natural and supernatural

Finally, if we are willing to believe that God created the heavens and the earth—as opposed to the untenable notion that nothing created everything, that life came from nonlife, and that nonlife gave rise to objective morals—we will have little difficulty believing the Genesis account of Noah and the Flood.

http://www.equip.org/bible_answers/silly-believe-noahs-flood/

First there is a DEMAND we believe in natural AND supernatural

Followed a short time later you can be WILLING to believe

Well it works for me, sort of. The demand to believe in the natural worked, but only because I am willing to believe

There are other defects in the link but comments on those can wait for another time

:)

Last edited:
The American Heritage III, the first definition of the uncapitalized word "god" (the second of the specialty capitalized term English word God, which specifies the Abrahamic monodeity):
" 2) A being of supernatural powers or attributes, believed in and worshipped - - - 3) An image of a supernatural being: - - "

If theists didn't use it, the question would be why not.
But of course theists use it all the time, including overt Abrahamic theists - especially about other people's gods, naturally, but also about their own on occasion: http://www.equip.org/bible_answers/silly-believe-noahs-flood/
So christian shock jocks are sometimes seen to use the same language as atheists. Seems like divine justice to me. No doubt he also perceives he may collect a few more kudos by neglecting the word "transcendent", lest he get pigeonholed with the TM'ers.

Scientists are fools", without being accountable for making the claim. So he sets the reader up to provide that meaning on their own, by posting what is essentially meaningless unless they so provide.

Why do you think that I think scientists are fools?

The text simply states that it is a foolish person who denies and reject God. If that person is a scientist or a religious person, it makes no difference.

You only brought that up to get a reaction.

Jan.

I’ve stated the text, The fool has said in his heart, there is no God. That means it is a choice that has been made.
No, it doesn't.
The only thing theists have in common is their acceptance of, and belief in God.
Or gods. Many theists believe in several.
But that is an unsupported - and quite unlikely - claim. The question of what the fraction of people who worship gods have in common is an interesting one that remains largely unexplored. We can point to a couple of observed commonalities - agricultural societies with significant community based infrastructure seems to be a common feature - but in general we haven't addressed the matter rigorously.
You don’t need to seek out God if you give up denial and rejection of God.
Most atheistic people never did deny or reject a deity. The matter simply never came up in their lives.
Having had to deny or reject an imposed deity is something only a subset of atheists have in common.
And you have been so informed several times, here.

But as your agenda is disparagement, not discussion, such information has no role in your posting.

Hold that thought.
Or alternatively, you could try holding on to things others say instead of editing them out ...

No relationship of contingency exists between an "enabler" and "reality" if you want to run around calling things "supernatural". No doubt this is a convenient euphemistic tool of thought for atheists, since a dumbed down version of God provides easier access to their arguments (at least for as long as the fact that atheists are utilizing their own euphemistic language is glossed over, I suppose).

You have not.
You have not even "posited" any of Craig's arguments as examples of decent arguments - not a single one has appeared in your posting as an example.
And of course treating "argument" and "evidence" as interchangeable terms is par for the fog. Misuse of language serves deception.

Why spend time writing them down when you can view them?

Read them, you will realise his arguments presents the evidence. Remember God is the subject.

Jan.

So christian shock jocks are sometimes seen to use the same language as atheists.
The American Heritage Dictionary and the others, the large majority of the Western world's historians and anthropologists for two hundred years, the contributors to the Western world's encyclopedias and and the essay writers for all the major Christian resource providers and websites for generations, that would be.

It's called the English language.

Last edited:
The American Heritage Dictionary and the others, the large majority of the Western world's historians and anthropologists for two hundred years, the contributors to the Western world's encyclopedias and and the essay writers for all the major Christian resource providers and websites, that would be.

So is that definition prescriptive or normative, iyho?

If it's the former, I would hope you would have something to reference other than atheists or christian shock jocks.

No, it doesn't.

Or gods. Many theists believe in several.

Theists believe in God.
If they believe in God, they automatically accept gods as a part of God’s creation.
Where’s the problem with that?

But that is an unsupported - and quite unlikely - claim.

So you say. A person who denies and rejects God.

The question of what the fraction of people who worship gods have in common is an interesting one that remains largely unexplored.

Good luck with your exploration.

We can point to a couple of observed commonalities - agricultural societies with significant community based infrastructure seems to be a common feature - but in general we haven't addressed the matter rigorously.

Who is “we”?

Most atheistic people never did deny or reject a deity. The matter simply never came up in their lives.

You don’t even realise you’re doing it now.

Having had to deny or reject an imposed deity is something only a subset of atheists have in common.
And you have been so informed several times, here.

All atheist deny and reject God, unless they are ignorant. But as soon as they make the decision to sing the evidence song, they enter into denial territory.

But as your agenda is disparagement, not discussion, such information has no role in your posting.

There is never any discussion about God, in these forums, unless it is on the atheist terms.
But the atheist only want to justify ther atheism, which is why they do not want to talk about God.

Jan.[/QUOTE]

Back