Empirical Evidence of God

Saying that God doesn't exist is fundamentally wrong, of course it will get a bad reaction

What would seem fundamentally wrong is to proclaim that an unsupported notion of a God is valid.

It would be fundamentally wrong to hold up the good book as the word of God when there is no support to suggest God had any influence other than variuos unsupported claims or made up stories.

It would be fundamentally wrong to cherry pick the good book to select what words of God you decide is to be followed and what is not them proclaim that God is infallible.
It would be wrong to accept the biblical account of creation given it has been shown to be incorrect and no more than an attempt by bronze age folk to describe a reality they could only view through clouds of superstition.

If one can decide that it is perhaps wrong to kill a neighbour for mowing his lawn on the day of rest it becomes clear that ones morality can not be dictated by the good book but rather one must eliminate various aspects that are clearly wrong...in other words the good book could not be called the basis of morality.

The default position must be that we should not believe or have confidence in any proposition that can not move past a position of a mere unsupported claim.

The God story is a mere unsupported claim and it is wrong to confront others on the basis such an unsupported claim should have those making the claim as somehow special and able to avoid being called upon to put their money where their mouth is...in all areas of life the put up or shut up rule stands and so it should...and if you want to claim a God put up or shut up before the discussion turns to intimate descriotion of an entity not yet shown to exist.

You say you are not a christian, does that mean you go to a christian church for company? to pray to a God they dont believe in?
I dont get it so perhaps you could share what seems an interesting approach.
Alex

Jan Ardena:

If bodies are "ours", as cars, or houses are "ours". How can "we" be a product of that which is "ours"?
Suppose that souls do not exist, for the sake of argument. How would you have me refer to my arm, in that case? What language would you have me use to distinguish my arm from your arm?

Did human beings at any time, have no self-awareness?
I don't understand what you're asking. Is this a question about the evolution of the human species? The designation "human being" refers to a specific kind of biological organism, with certain characteristics.

It could be that self-awareness is the nature of all living entities.
Maybe you don't mean the same thing by "self-awareness" that I do. What are you talking about?

Jan Ardena said:
James R said:
The problem is clear: Jan identifies his own subjective impressions with objective reality. That is, he perceives no distinction between what he believes and what is real.
I could just as easily say that about you.
For what it's worth.
That response only further illustrates my point. You don't perceive any difference between my appeals to objective evidence and your appeals to your own subjective beliefs.

You're missing a component.
The fact is, theism and atheism was here before me. I didn't create them.
Every person is either theist or atheist.
I'm theist, you are atheist.
We've had this argument about essentialism before. It really doesn't matter whether you think you believe in God because you were born to believe, or whether you believe in God because you decided at some time to believe. Either way, the mere fact that you believe says nothing about the truth or falsity of what you believe.

How would you know?
I know because I've read your posts and I understand your position, as you have expressed it.

You're an atheist. The reality is, you only perceive God, and theism, from an atheist perspective, which is, there is no God as far as you're aware.
Be that as it may, what I, personally, believe or do not believe does not influence whether or not there is any evidence for your God. My point stands: you think the evidence follows from the belief. I think the belief should follow the evidence. Your belief does not create God. Or, more accurately, it only creates God in your head. For some reason, you confuse that with God being part of the objective reality.

Suppose that souls do not exist, for the sake of argument. How would you have me refer to my arm, in that case? What language would you have me use to distinguish my arm from your arm?

Whether or no not "souls exist" have no bearing on the question at hand. The point is how does "my brain" differ from "my car" in the context of ownership.

I don't understand what you're asking. Is this a question about the evolution of the human species? The designation "human being" refers to a specific kind of biological organism, with certain characteristics.

I don't really mind. It's a straightforward question.

Maybe you don't mean the same thing by "self-awareness" that I do. What are you talking about?

Why wouldn't it mean the same thing?
Just answer the question James. :rolleyes:

That response only further illustrates my point. You don't perceive any difference between my appeals to objective evidence and your appeals to your own subjective beliefs.

What objective evidence James?

We've had this argument about essentialism before.

I don't recall having a discussion about essentialism. Plus I don't think that idea relevant in this instance.

It really doesn't matter whether you think you believe in God because you were born to believe, or whether you believe in God because you decided at some time to believe. Either way, the mere fact that you believe says nothing about the truth or falsity of what you believe.

From whose perspective? Yours?
As an atheist, one for whom there is no God, you aren't likely to accept the existence of God, let alone God.
You will only accept God, on your terms, which will be never, as long as your an atheist. You have voluntarily locked yourself outside of that position. "The fool has said in his heart, there is no God".

I know because I've read your posts and I understand your position, as you have expressed it.

You're an atheist. You can only see it from that perspective. Why would you think otherwise?

Be that as it may, what I, personally, believe or do not believe does not influence whether or not there is any evidence for your God.

How would you know?
I don't think you realise the depth of your fundamental designation.

My point stands: you think the evidence follows from the belief

Your point is the point of an atheist.
There is no God, as far as you're aware.
That fact seems to evade you.

Your belief does not create God. Or, more accurately, it only creates God in your head. For some reason, you confuse that with God being part of the objective reality.

Let's say I turn that around.

Your belief does not eliminate God. Or, more accurately, it only eliminates God in your head. For some reason, you confuse that with God not being the basis of reality, period

Jan.

I am really offended by this arrogant statement implying that only believers can comprehend the concept of God.
The believer possesses some kind of extraordinary insight which is just not present in the unenlightened comprehension of non-believers?

You're just pissed because you're an atheist, and you want it all, but can't have it. :D

Jan.

You're just pissed because you're an atheist, and you want it all, but can't have it. :D

Jan.
First, I don't get pissed when confronting ignorance. I do get annoyed when the ignorance translates into prejudice.

No, you're the one who wants it all. If you expect to go to "heaven" in the "afterlife" you'll be very disappointed, if you are wrong.

OTOH, if I am wrong, I'll be pleasantly surprised if there is a heaven and an afterlife.

I suspect after we die we really don't care one way or the other. And that is why I don't get pissed because I want it all but can't have it unless I "convert".

Truth IS, I'd rather keep my soul safe from theist corruption.....:)

p.s. You are a perfect example of corrupted reasoning. Evasion and mysticism is all you have to offer.

Last edited:
Already done it. I'm not going to repeat just for your sake.
Where have you? Please can you point it out so that I may remind myself what you said? Furthermore, given his response to my request of you, it seems Yazata would also be interested.
So please can you clarify what you mean by "denial" and "rejection"? You use the term often so I would quite like to have you clarify exactly what you mean, and honestly can't understand your reluctance.

Sorry I don't believe in Atheists.

If there was a God it would be an atheist.

If there isnt a God it would be theist.

If a child is saved God cares if thousands die that is human free will.

Do you know where the Sun goes at night?

Maybe the good book was written by the devil to make God look stupid.

Maybe the good book was written as a practical joke but most folk did not get the joke.

So did any evidence of God come in while I was gone?
No?

But plenty of evidence that its all made up.

Atheism wins due to lack of evidence for theists claims.
All over..no God.
Alex

Jan Ardena,

Whether or no not "souls exist" have no bearing on the question at hand. The point is how does "my brain" differ from "my car" in the context of ownership.
The only real difference is that you could sell your car to somebody else, and then it would be their car, whereas you're stuck with your brain. The same goes for your arm. You could cut it off, I suppose, and give it away, and then it wouldn't be your arm any more, but in the meantime, it's attached to you.

What is the "I" that owns your arm, for the time being? It's the body that the arm is attached to, and the brain that controls that body. When I look at you, the boundary of what is you and what is not stops at your body. All your body parts are attached to you, so they are "yours", rather than, say, mine or somebody else's. Moreover, recognising your autonomy as a human being, I do not believe that somebody else can own you like they own a car.

There's also the matter of who or what is in control. Your brain controls your body, and it self-regulates. Nobody else controls your arm except your brain, under ordinary circumstances. So, that, too, gives us good reason to say it's your arm and not somebody else's.

Your assertion is that your consciousness is not ultimately a function of your biological brain, but rather a product of an immaterial, undetectable, soul. You say that because you can refer to "my brain", it means that the "I" that owns or controls the brain must necessarily be separate from the brain itself. But the situation you find yourself in is no different from that which my mobile phone finds itself in, vis a vis its central processing unit. We refer to "the phone's CPU" without a problem. We could program the phone to refer to the CPU as "my CPU", and there would be no strain in the language to do so. Everybody would understand what was meant.

There's one further layer, of course. The brain itself is not "you", just as the operating system of my mobile phone is not the CPU. It is more accurate to say that the "I" you perceive is the "software" that the brain runs, just like the operating system of the phone is run by the hardware of the CPU. This "software picture" is what is meant when we say that the "I" is an emergent property of the brain. Extending the CPU metaphor a bit, the "I" in your brain is a little like the operating system stored in the memory of the phone. The storage method is a different, of course, but the principle is the same.

There's no need to assert that my phone must have a soul, or else it would be wrong to refer to "my CPU" or "my operating system".

In short, this diversion of yours into language is, as I said, a waste of time. You can't draw any conclusions about the existence of souls from the way we use words.

I don't really mind. It's a straightforward question.
It's not straightforward, or else I would not have asked for clarification.

Did human beings at any time have no self-awareness?

Okay, let me try briefly to answer that. If the assumption is that "self-awareness" means only sentience - the ability to feel sensations - then there was no time that human beings had no self-awareness. Human beings evolved from ape-like ancestors, who were already sentient before the designation "Homo sapiens" became relevant.

If, on the other hand, "self-awareness" means a conscious awareness of the self as a being in space and time, then again the most likely answer is that there was no time that humans had no self-awareness, for the same reason.

If you want to go back further in the evolutionary chain, to the ancestors of human beings, then at some point you'll hit an ancestor species of human beings that had no self-awareness in one or other (or both) of the two senses discussed above.

Does that answer your question?

What objective evidence James?
That's the point. The only thing you have to offer is your subjective belief, whereas what is needed is objective evidence.

I don't recall having a discussion about essentialism.
Previously, you said, in effect, that we're all destined to be either atheists or theists. It's in our nature. But seeing as you don't think this is relevant, there's no need to go over that ground again.

From whose perspective? Yours?
From an objective perspective. See what I mean? You think it's all about opinions and beliefs. It isn't. I know what your beliefs are. I'm not interested in that. I'm interested in what is true.

As an atheist, one for whom there is no God, you aren't likely to accept the existence of God, let alone God.
I don't know if there is a God or not, but despite your protestations you don't know either. The difference between us is that you choose to believe without objective evidence, whereas I do not. If God existed and considered it important that I believe in him, it would be easy for him to convince me, I would have thought.

You will only accept God, on your terms, which will be never, as long as your an atheist. You have voluntarily locked yourself outside of that position. "The fool has said in his heart, there is no God".
If I'm wrong, and God exists, I'm sure he will understand why I doubt him. He's done a lousy job of making himself known. I haven't locked myself out of anything. It's irrational to believe in something for which there is no evidence.

Is Mickey Mouse a real, live mouse, as opposed to just a cartoon character in movies? Would it be too much to ask that Mickey be available for a photo opportunity (or equivalent) before I accept that he is real, especially given that all indications to this point are that he is a fantasy figure? Maybe I should accept that Mickey is real on the terms that Mickey just Is, rather than "locking myself out" of the perques of Mickey belief, whatever they might be.

You're an atheist. You can only see it from that perspective. Why would you think otherwise?
It's a strange argument you're trying to make. Essentially, you're saying "If you were like me, instead of like yourself, then you'd believe in my God like I do." Well, yes, obviously. If I shared your perspective, then I would believe as you do. So what? You've done nothing to convince me that your perspective is intrinsically superior to mine. You've given me no reason why I should change my opinion. Nor have you refuted any of the points I've made in support of my view. I don't even think you understand why it is that you believe what you believe.

Jan Ardena said:
James R said:
Be that as it may, what I, personally, believe or do not believe does not influence whether or not there is any evidence for your God.
How would you know?
I don't think you realise the depth of your fundamental designation.
Think about what you just wrote.

Is it your assertion that what I believe does influence whether or not there is objective evidence for God? Do you even understand what they would mean, if it were true? I am not kidding when I say that you actually can't distinguish your personal belief from reality. Everything you posts only further highlights that deficiency.

Let's say I turn that around.

Your belief does not eliminate God. Or, more accurately, it only eliminates God in your head. For some reason, you confuse that with God not being the basis of reality, period
Your turned-around version doesn't apply to me. I agree with you that my non-belief does not eliminate God. I understand that God either exists or does not exist, regardless of what I believe or do not believe. I said that, just above.

In contrast, your consistent claim is that God exists ("for you") because you believe in him, and God does not exist ("for me") because I do not believe in him. That kind of statement only highlights the fact that you think that people create their own reality, rather than sharing one objective reality. You're saying more that merely that people have different ideas and opinions. You're saying that there's essentially a separate reality for each individual, and that there's no such thing as a common, shared reality, other than what might, by chance, result from opinions that happen to be in agreement between individuals.

You might like to read one of the quotes in my signature: reality is that which, when you stop believing in it, does not go away. Your own belief, as far as I can tell from your posts, is very different: reality is whatever you believe in, and if your belief changes, so does reality. Given this, does it really surprise you that our respective positions are at odds with one another?

You assert that God is the "basis of reality". But at the same time, you say "There is no God, for you". So I take it you would agree that the basis of your reality is not the same as the basis of my reality, and that we literally do not share the same reality.

The problem is that, having no real insight into your own philosophical foundations, you tend to flip-flop between expressing that kind of view and working on the implicit assumption that your reality is the only real one after all, which means that atheists are in denial of that reality.

Your lack of consistency makes interactions with you frustrating. Really, I don't think that any meaningful progress is possible until you can bring yourself to accept that beliefs and facts are not the same thing. If we can bring you to the point of recognising that there's such a thing as objectivity, for starters, then we can perhaps progress from there.

Last edited:
Back