Effects of modren civilization on health?

How do you breath when there is smoke in you surrounding air, say of burning woods, smoking or of the heavy vehicles? It is breathing difficulties can be described in several different ways. You may feel "winded," short of breath, unable to take a deep breath, "air hunger," not getting enough air, or like you are gasping for air as in Cigarette smoking or breathing secondhand smoke.

Last edited:
Kumar said:
How do you breath when there is smoke in you surrounding air, say of burning woods, smoking or of the heavy vehicles?

If its really bad then sometimes I'll try not to breathe too much but living in the city, I am not changing my breathing patterns (consciously anyway).

It is breathing difficulties can be described in several different ways. You may feel "winded," short of breath, unable to take a deep breath, "air hunger," not getting enough air, or like you are gasping for air as in Cigarette smoking or breathing secondhand smoke.

I'm sorry but I don't feel ANY of the above (and Im ASTHMATIC :eek: )

John, We are trying to find out the effects. However we can ignore effect of short breathe in polluted air in consideration of luxuaries of cities.

Kumar said:
John, We are trying to find out the effects. However we can ignore effect of short breathe in polluted air in consideration of luxuaries of cities.

Effects of what? As we have said, there is no such thing as short breathing. There might be less oxygen in the air though. I think we have already discussed the effects of that before though right?

Zarkov said:
>> basic change in physiology of humans of pollutions,

Toxic metals, and organic pollutants acting as analogues fo delicately balanced control substances, are bringing our civilisation into madness.

Metals (some are necessary in our biochemistry, but in strict security ) alter enzyme rates and cause both organic and mental illnesses. They bioaccumulate.

The organics are somewhat less predictable in their action... eg ship anti-fouling paint causing female shellfish to start growing penises,,, thus altering conception rates.... hormone additions to food causing precious development in young girls....
mostly these cause organic consequences.

The physical consequence is minor compared to mental illness, because mental illness turns the person afflicted against themselves and others. Makes them exhibit a lack of empathy and their behaviour becomes very self centred.

The level of mental illness in society is increasing very quickly.... see levels of antidepressant consumption etc.

But the outcome is impared decisions by the whole establishment that governs us.

IMO, this situation is fatal.... it has proved to be fatal to all civilisations afflicted with toxic metal poi-soning.
It's very easy to test the concentration of heavy metals in the human body and we have lots of good data on what levels of the various heavy metals are dangerous. If you're really concerned about heavy metal poisoning, just spend $50 to have yourself tested.

This idea that our society is slowly being destroyed by mass heavy metal poisoning (a la the Roman empire) is ridiculous. Heavy metal levels are closely controlled and monitored by the EPA, assuming you live in the United States.

>> It's very easy to test the concentration of heavy metals in the human body

Not so, for example,,, interactions between metals is poorly understood

>> This idea that our society is slowly being destroyed by mass heavy metal poisoning (a la the Roman empire) is ridiculous.

again not so, many metals are taken in in inorganic form (ie have not been through a living system.... eg additives, salt, colourings.........
even sodium iron and calcium can be toxic......

>> Heavy metal levels are closely controlled and monitored by the EPA, assuming you live in the United States.

Yes The US is gainning ground on this however
Take lead for example... the "safe limit" was about 30 mcg / 100 ml blood
This was reduced to 10, now reduced to 5......

All the people over 5mcg (adults now) were toxic, their kids toxic.....
You have no idea of the problems involved with this problem.
And even 5 mcg will accumulate.
That is just lead......

Basically the population of all "sophisticated" countries are affected in some way, some much more than others.....
For instance

http://www.abc.net.au/news/newsitems/s1121040.htm

>> From severe depression to uncontrolled anger, mental disorders are surprisingly common around the world, and most of the worst cases are not being treated, researchers have reported.

The biggest concerted study of global mental illness shows that rates vary greatly, with 4.3 per cent of people living in Shanghai showing symptoms of mental disorders in the past year, compared to 26 per cent in the United States. >>>

When you add dysfunctionals, criminals, handicapped etc, then a very large proportion of the population are UNFIT to make decisions... certainly decisions affecting world affairs....

Kumar said:
Juhn, do you mean to say that we gets no adverse effect of city's polluted air?

We have already talked about the effects. Of course there are adverse effects. Now what else specifically do u want to know?!

John Connellan said:
Of course there are adverse effects. Now what else specifically do u want to know?!

Pls tell me some adverse effects due to modren civilization according to you. Pls do not only consider USA or any one country but also consider cities of highly populated asian,Indian or other underdeveloped countries. If some diseases are on the rise due to MCE?

P.S. It it not relavent:-

Antioxidants and Free Radicals

Oxygen is essential to life, since humans need to breathe air containing oxygen in order to sustain life. Yet oxygen is very active and combines readily with many compounds in our body. Some of these compounds can cause damage.

During cellular respiration (the process that creates energy), some oxygen molecules are converted into oxidizing agents (also called “free radicals”), such as superoxides or hydrogen peroxide. These molecules are unstable and react with other compounds in an effort to become stabilized. This quest for stability can be quite damaging to normal body tissues, but fortunately the body is equipped with an “antioxidant” defense system.

Environmental sources of free radicals: The environment is a source of free radicals. Such oxidizing agents include: ionizing radiation—(from industry, sun exposure, cosmic rays, and medical X-rays); ozone and nitrous oxide—(primarily from automobile exhaust); heavy metals—(such as mercury, cadmium, and lead); cigarette smoke—(both active and passive); alcohol; unsaturated fat—(may create a strain on the natural antioxidants of the body); and other chemicals and compounds from food, water, and air.

When these free radicals enter the body, they can react with healthy tissue, setting off potentially damaging reactions. Free radicals are believed to play a role in more than sixty different health conditions, including the aging process, cancer, and atherosclerosis.1 Reducing exposure to free radicals and increasing intake of antioxidant nutrients can reduce the risk of free radical-related health problems.

:m:

Last edited:
OK, I believe asthma is related to M.C. Either polluted air is making it worse or another theory is that medications improperly precribed have cause huge epidemics in certain countries. Also diabetes and obesity etc are adverse effects of our civilisation.
Do u want more?!

John, It is mentioned in my above posting that: "increasing intake of antioxidant nutrients can reduce the risk of free radical-related health problems."

Whether these antioxidant nutrients effects on body O2 levels? Exposing or sensing of Foreign substances (like free radicals) to body may create some kind of "Cephalic phase" effect. Will it not increase stomach acidity or other secretions? I sometimes feel/find that foreign substances do not effect the body directly but they trigger imbalanced secretions in body which actually effect the system.

Kumar said:
Whether these antioxidant nutrients effects on body O2 levels?

From what i understand, O2 levels in the blood are not affected by antioxidants as free radicals are a single oxygen molecule or, more commonly, a hydrogen peroxide molecule :)

John, whatever is there, we can just study effect of pollutions/moderen civilization on body O2>>stomach acidic environment>> absorption of iorn,calcium, Vit.B12, folate, Zinc, protiens, bacterias, anaerobic activities etc.>> complications relating to stomach/intestines changed environment.

Kumar: Are u sure there's a link between bioavailability of O2 and stomach acidity? I've never heard that one before. There are many other effects of modern civilisation on acidity that would much eclipse those effects if there are any.

John, If stomach acidity can effect absorption of iron, it will also effect bioavailability of O2. I think shallow breathing effects the stomach acidity levels.

The first half of your sentence is saying acidity affects O2 BioA, the second half says that O2 bioA affects stomach acidity. Which one is rightand which one is a mistake? Or did u mean they both interact?

I think both are interrealted. Iron-Oxygen relation or better anemea-Oxygen relation should be related to stomach acidity & breathing type.

Btw, can you please tell me that which type of complications related to low/high stomach acidity AND to low/high intestinal alkalinity are increasing in current days in big polluted & populated cities with lot of modrenizations?

This site is bit related:
http://altmedicine.about.com/cs/digestiveproblems/a/LowHCL.htm

Last edited:
Stomach acidity has nothing to do with air pollution IMO. M.C. does affect it to some extent however, mainly through diet.
Indigestion and GERD are major complications.

John, what is the effect of mental stress, infections & shallow breathing on somach acidity? I think all these tells to body that more O2 is needed & so may trigger for excess stomach acidity leading to extra absorption of iron & other minerals etc.
Can you tell me that why vomit sometimes taste bitter or sour? How alkaline tide/wave is related to it?

Back