Eating Whales

Is it ok for you to impose your ideas of ``morally wrong'' to people on the other side of the world?

I think it is very right to intervene in a genocide, not even talking about whales.

I think its okay to impose moral standards (or at least laws) on those whalers in international waters - because they are our whales too.:rolleyes:

Is it ok for you to impose your ideas of ``morally wrong'' to people on the other side of the world?

We have no need for food of them. They do no harm to us. They sing mystical songs. They're on the verge of extinction. There's really no justification for killing whales.

We have no need for food of them.

We have no need for food of cows, either.

They do no harm to us.

Cows...

They sing mystical songs.

cows...

They're on the verge of extinction.

The whales that the Japanese hunt are minke whales, which have healthy populations. The Japanese also practice some restraint---they have harvest limits and such to ensure a sustainable population.

We have no need for food of cows, either.
Buffalo tastes better.

Rambull

Moosic?

The whales that the Japanese hunt are minke whales, which have healthy populations. The Japanese also practice some restraint---they have harvest limits and such to ensure a sustainable population.
This really is an excellent point.

One shouldn't assume that all whales are endangered and that any whale hunted is one of an endangered species.

Buffalo tastes better.

Agreed. Given the choice, I'd rather eat only animals I killed, but hunting elk and moose is expensive (especially when you live in Texas), and I get tired of venison.

One shouldn't assume that all whales are endangered and that any whale hunted is one of an endangered species.

Yeah I don't understand either. The Japanese are practicing sustainable harvesting---those hippies should be celebrating them.

Agreed. Given the choice, I'd rather eat only animals I killed, but hunting elk and moose is expensive (especially when you live in Texas), and I get tired of venison.

Yeah, there's that Control Factor, again...

46.gif

There are 100,000 Minke whales in existence. The Japanese kill about 500 per year. They take much smaller numbers--less than a hundred--Sei, Fin and Brydes whales, all of which also have populations of at least 50,000.

They also take a handful of Sperm whales, who number at least a quarter million and perhaps many more. The Sperm whale is called a whale only because of historical tradition and its huge size. It is actually a "toothed whale" and is technically a member of the clade of dolphins, all of which are toothed whales. All other animals called whales are "baleen whales" who eat by sifting krill through their baleen plates: basically grazing on tiny shrimp rather than hunting prey like dolphins and Sperm whales. The only other exception is the orca, a large dolphin formerly referred to as the "killer whale."

The Japanese have been eating whale meat since the Jomon period, the Neolithic Era or Late Stone Age in Japan which ended during the first millennium BCE.

The town of Taiji on Honshu is where Japan's modern whaling methods were developed, and dolphins are still hunted and eaten there.

There are 100,000 Minke whales in existence. The Japanese kill about 500 per year. They take much smaller numbers--less than a hundred--Sei, Fin and Brydes whales, all of which also have populations of at least 50,000.

They also take a handful of Sperm whales, who number at least a quarter million and perhaps many more. The Sperm whale is called a whale only because of historical tradition and its huge size. It is actually a "toothed whale" and is technically a member of the clade of dolphins, all of which are toothed whales. All other animals called whales are "baleen whales" who eat by sifting krill through their baleen plates: basically grazing on tiny shrimp rather than hunting prey like dolphins and Sperm whales. The only other exception is the orca, a large dolphin formerly referred to as the "killer whale."

The Japanese have been eating whale meat since the Jomon period, the Neolithic Era or Late Stone Age in Japan which ended during the first millennium BCE.

The town of Taiji on Honshu is where Japan's modern whaling methods were developed, and dolphins are still hunted and eaten there.

Where did these numbers come from?

I think considering human trends in food production that eating wild things is a step in the wrong direction. As is the oceans are over fished and already more then 50% of the worlds fish for food comes from aquaculture (fish farming). Aquaculture is here and open ocean aquaculture is in advance development, we don't need to fish the oceans bare, we don't need to compete with sea mammals or eat them.

aquapod_closeup.jpg

Also fuck tradition, you want to live traditionally then you need to kill/starve 9/10 people to make way for the traditional life style!

Back