Eating dogs

No, you're wrong.

How is it not cultural?

Man and dog were a team, and this reward of modern civilisation belongs equally to each.

Again. Is this an argument versus the eating of dog being a cultural issue? Doesn't seem to be one.

You can disagree with the cultural mores all you like. You can hate the baby-raper culture. You can detest the cannibal culture. You can detest the matriarchal society that worships the great tampon god and eats dog penis for every meal.

But, in doing so, you are disagreeing with the cultures.

The only way this wouldn't be cultural is if someone raised in a culture which didn't eat dogs spontaneously started killing and eating dogs. In this case, it would be an individual issue of personal rights.

Also, honoring debts is a cultural issue.

No. It's a matter of taste.

So, I guess the same thing applies to people eating dogs, right?

There's no other conceivable reason for refusing to eat a dog but happily munching on a cow.

Is there?

James its very eay for veggies to look down on meat eaters, but the reality is you guys are eating things that lived too vegetables, it seems to me the only things you guys should be eating are things that fall naturally from a tree, but then your interfering with the eco system as various parasites will miss out on this treat, so it seems james you are the problem like the rest of us, you are no better.

Also, I'm curious about how you feel about horses, Dr. Lou. Are they on the same level as dogs? After all, they 'worked like dogs' to build civilization, and they also had a habit of dying in wars.

I've eaten horse before.
When I was very young.

My dad's girlfriend had a lot of horses and one of them was very special to her. It got out one night and she had my dad and his buddies go track it down. They found it, and they had the bright drunken notion of tying the thing to the bumper of the truck and lead it back to the corral. It slipped on the road and broke its neck.

She cooked and ate it out of respect.

Don't ask what she did when her husband died...

Is this an argument versus the eating of dog being a cultural issue? Doesn't seem to be one.
Sorry, no, ofcourse it's a "cultural issue". The eating of dogs is a cultural adaptation yes. Was that the only point you were making?
Frankly that seems kind of "valich-like", a pointless obvious remark everyone is aware of.
I thought you were saying "your culture says eating dogs is wrong, their culture says it's ok, tomayto tomarto(sic), live and let live, neither is ultimately right nor wrong".
That would be way the fuck off as I just adequately explained. Looking from outside of either culture one would naturally and objectively note how incredibly fucked up the betrayal of dogs by their culture was.
But whatever, yeah, I guess it sure is a cultural thing that dog eating.
Good point.

Also, honoring debts is a cultural issue.
Again, one which predates differing cultures. So any culture in which that value deteriorated could be considered "wounded". It's certainly not a cute little quirk like clogs on dutch people. It's a significantly greivous shortcoming of that culture.
I'm not aware of any culture which doesn't maintain this as an important thing by the way.
Some sneakily get away with neglecting debt owed to organisms which can't complain, but I don't think ungratefulness and treachery are traits generally held in a high regard by those cultures.

Also, I'm curious about how you feel about horses, Dr. Lou. Are they on the same level as dogs? After all, they 'worked like dogs' to build civilization, and they also had a habit of dying in wars.
I probably don't consider them quite on the level of dogs, but do naturally gag at the thought of horse meat, and feel like horses have earned their place within society as not-food.

Then what is the difference between eating a cow, and a small human?
I wouldn't ask, except I'm pointing out the obvious morality issue, and my question doesn't seem so absurd, if you consider that
APPARENTLY THERE ARE SOME PEOPLE THAT DON'T SEE THAT DIFFERENCE EITHER.
http://www.heretical.com/cannibal/china.html

RedArmy,

I've never heard the pig described as holy. They are unclean, along with a whole host of other animals. Dogs included. Doesn't the classification have to do with their feet?
Reading further on this it seems that the pig, and the meaning of 'unclean', has a somewhat convoluted history. Here's an interesting article about pigs in mythology, in which the ambiguity is discussed. The site's a bit garish but don't let that put you off, it's interesting stuff:
http://meadhall.homestead.com/BoarsPigsandMyth.html

To the modern mind the uncleanness of the pig is obviously connected to the pig's affinity for dirt: on the one hand, a demonic trait; on the other, at least to our minds, an unhygenic one. To the ancients the concept was more ambiguous. The primary meaning of uncleanness was holiness. Therefore, to come in contact with an unclean creature, that is, a creature highly charged with spiritual power, was somewhat equivalent to touching a radioactive object--such an object as the Ark of the Covenanant, for instance.

The attitude of the Jews toward pigs, however, was not strikingly different than that of other peoples in the ancient Near East. The Syrians neither sacrificed nor ate pigs, and if a man touched a pig he was unclean for the rest of the day (Frazer. 546). Among the Egyptians, also, touching a pig was unclean, and swineherds were a class almost of untouchables, forbidden even to enter a temple (Frazer. 548). Once a year, however, pigs were sacrificed to Osiris and to the moon, and at that time their flesh was eaten.

Thus, the eating of pork, at the proper time, was a sacremental act. There is in myth a tendency for things to mean, or to be, also their opposite; the pig's very holiness makes it unclean. Another example of the pig's holiness is the fact that Jews were forbidden to kill pigs as well as to eat them.

With the Hebrews, however, as their religion grew more anthromorphic and more transcendant, the holiness of the pig lost its roots, while the sense of uncleanness remained, a sense reinforced by the affinity of the pig for mud. It remained for Christianity and Peter's dream (Acts 10. 9-16) for the next logical step, the demotion of the pig from unclean animal to simply one of God's creatures placed here for the benefit of mankind.
As is stated in the article and elsewhere pigs were (and may still be) considered sacred amongst the Polynesians and other Pacific Islanders. But it seems that, as far as the Hebrews are concerned, the jury's still out.

Regarding the feet: yes, Judaism regards anything with a split hoof as unclean, as well as anything that chews cud. In the sea, anything with fins or scales is clean; anything else is unclean.
Then what is the difference between eating a cow, and a small human?
Morality aside, nothing. Cows are just meat. We are just meat too. Cannibalism has been observed in a wide variety of species from spiders and dragonflies, to birds and squirrels, to chimps and lions. As invert has already pointed out it's also occurred regularly in various cultures throughout human history. But then the Western middle-classes came along and spoiled everything to the extent that, if you continue to practice it, you're unlikely to find yourself on the guest-list for any future dinner-parties.
Looking from outside of either culture one would naturally and objectively note how incredibly fucked up the betrayal of dogs by their culture was.

11%20George%20St,%20Ngr-Aug%2005%20006.jpg

My intention was to post several pictures that demonstrate our culture's 'respect' for dogs. Then I came across this. Frankly, most of the images are just too horrific to show. Stomach-churning. Take a look.

Now, I know what you're going to say: that the animals who owned these dogs weren't giving them the respect they deserve. That these are isolated cases. And, of course, it's nonsense. These are the dogs rescued by one shelter. Multiply that by the countless shelters throughout the Western world, and you have the true picture of our 'respect' for dogs. In 2005 the UK's largest animal charity, the RSPCA, investigated 100,000 cases of animal cruelty. As I'm sure you know reported cases tend to be just the tip of the iceberg. The true figure for abused and neglected pets is unknown.

So: who's culture is 'right' now (and I hope you have taken a second to look at those pictures)? If their culture has taken the wrong path and they see dogs as food, then our culture has betrayed dogs to an even greater extent. We maintain the rhetoric of dog as 'man's best friend' whilst, in reality, large numbers of us treat our dogs worse than vermin. Yes, these 'people' who mistreat their dogs are fucked up and not normal - but I hope I've gone some way towards disspelling the myth that Eastern cultures are somehow depraved in their attitudes towards dogs, whilst our culture is universally honouring our historical 'debt'.

Lou, I don't know about you but, personally, I'd rather be eaten.

Last edited:
Do you like veal?

No I don't. Only pork and chicken meat. It’s my principle. I use only milk products and I don’t eat veal.
But point here is in torturing of animals and non-human conditions of breeding which are huge problems of commercial farming.
I don't approve anything of that.
Neither the procedure of hanging St. Bernard dogs on hind legs to gain a release of adrenalin for tender meat nor strait boxes for breeding cows and pigs.

You’re right. I considered things just from one side.
I had to put our own examples to complete my previous post.

Last edited:
Redarmy, I was actually not going to bother responding to that, it certainly fails to warrant a response, but then I thought "what if he thinks he stumped me or something?"

I'll just briefly summarise the outline of this discussion to highlight how absurd your last post was.
I was criticising the individuals who don't respect dogs, you say "what about people in korea whose culture dictates they don't need to respect dogs?", I explain why they aren't exempt from the criticisms.
Then you say "well you know, some non-koreans mistreat dogs also".

... wtf?

Redarmy, I was actually not going to bother responding to that, it certainly fails to warrant a response, but then I thought "what if he thinks he stumped me or something?"

I'll just briefly summarise the outline of this discussion to highlight how absurd your last post was.
I was criticising the individuals who don't respect dogs, you say "what about people in korea whose culture dictates they don't need to respect dogs?", I explain why they aren't exempt from the criticisms.
Then you say "well you know, some non-koreans mistreat dogs also".

... wtf?
No, I know, me neither, but...

Well, you've mischaracterised my response to your response for a start.

Omigod, how bored am I with this?

And yet.. must... keep... typing...

You've spent some time in this thread presenting Eastern culture as a 'betrayal' of dogs' legacy :)rolleyes: God, this is ridiculous..)

I just wanted to tell you that that's bullshit.

The people in the West are the true betrayers, if any betrayal has taken place.

I say if because you've just asserted that a betrayal has taken place without presenting any evidence for this. What really pulled us out of the swamps? Our massive brains, that's what. And we let dogs tag along.

OK, is it over now?

I ate 18 labrador puppies before, they were fucking yummy.

Woof woof.

I would eat a dog or even a human, as long as it's cooked. Wouldn't let anyone touch my dog though.

I have a pet dog. A big blubbery puppy of a golden doodle by the name of Charles. I adore him. He has blonde curly fur which he flicks indiscriminately when he's told not to do something.. as though to say 'try and stop me'.. He is spoiled rotten. My son adores him even more. He is my son's playmate, pillow when he decides to have a lie down to look up at the sky (as one example), guardian and protector and basically his best friend. When he wakes up in the morning and taken out of his room, he does not look for or at either of us, but he looks for Charles or Will and Henry our cats.

Now in light of this, would I ever decide to eat Charles or start munching on him for a snack? No. Nor would I ever eat any other dog. Nothing would ever induce me to. Nor would I eat either of our cats or any other cats. I would honestly rather starve than eat Charles or any of his four legged bretheren or any feline variety. Call me strange or even hypocritical, but when I eat a steak, I do not equate it as being in any way similar to 'munching' down on a dog.

I would have no problem eating your dog.
I bet he's tender, his meat well-marbled. All the pampering makes the flesh succulent.
Goodness, you've got my belly all rumbling.

Too bad it costs money to adopt dogs from the pound; otherwise I would have a free source of protein when I'm living off campus next year.

There are always strays, though....

I was very confused when I bought a pack of Hot-Dogs and found out that they are all beef. What gives?

I was very confused when I bought a pack of Hot-Dogs and found out that they are all beef. What gives?

Like a lot of products, you just have to check the list of ingredients. Next time, be sure to select the brands that say they use "pure dog meat", then you'll be happy.

Baron Max

Syzygys said:
What's wrong with eating dogs or any other kind of animals considered to be pets or smart or fuzzy?

Absolutely nothing. I have problem with making animals suffer however and find myself staying away from foods that explicitly promote suffering (veal for example).

Here is a fun site where you can get some doberburgers :)

http://www.petsorfood.com/

Back