Eating dogs

Syzygys

As a mother, I am telling you
Valued Senior Member
Please, please, if you are a vegetarian, DO NOT participate in this thread. Thanks!
This question is just for meat-eating folks: What's wrong with eating dogs or any other kind of animals considered to be pets or smart or fuzzy? If we eat pigs (they are fairly intelligent although not that fuzzy and only a few people keep them as pets), why shouldn't we eat dogs? Well, the Chinese do...

If we don't make dogfactories for eateries, but in case the dog is decided to be put down, we might as well eat it...You know, leftover meat.

I personally don't advocate dogeating, this is just a philosophical discussion on how we decide that one animal is OK to eat, and the other is forbidden...

Humans have a special relationship with dogs. It's not like killing and eating just any other animal.

If I ever take trip to China or South Korea I will definitely go to a restaurant and eat some dog meat. I want to eat cat meat also.

I don't have too much of a problem with it, as long as they are fed a vegetarian diet, but it's not practical. It's more of an exotic extravagance, food perversion- like eating monkey brains, or drinking cobra blood.

I'd eat a dog if I had to, but I would not want to eat one otherwise. Considering they are very close to us in our society, it would not be something I'd find proper to do. It would be rather closer to cannibalism than I like.

But again, if I must, I'd eat a dog if I could not procure other food and needed to eat.

I never understood the hype over, like, omigod sick they're eating dog meat how terrible!!!!1

Yes, dog is considered man's best friend, but so what? If it is to be considered morally acceptable to eat meat, then why the arbitrary limitations on what you're allowed to eat?

I most likely wouldn't want to try dog meat myself, but if you want to try it, then you fucking go ahead and enjoy yourself. Really.

Do vegetarians eat all plants and vegetables? Do asians eat endangered species to the point of killing them off forever?

Dog is. If you want to eat dog, go for it. But it's not the most economic plan. In a desperate situation, the dog could likely bring you more meals than its corpse would provide.

Dog is. If you want to eat dog, go for it. But it's not the most economic plan. In a desperate situation, the dog could likely bring you more meals than its corpse would provide.

Hmm, nope ...ya' can't do that without violating the laws of our society (USA). Killing dogs is illegal ...and I'm assuming that one would kill the dog before one begins to eat it!

Baron Max

Do vegetarians eat all plants and vegetables?

No. It's a matter of taste.

So, I guess the same thing applies to people eating dogs, right?

There's no other conceivable reason for refusing to eat a dog but happily munching on a cow.

Is there?

JamesR said:

There's no other conceivable reason for refusing to eat a dog but happily munching on a cow.

Is there?

Bring me a bull who can flush out birds, or bring me other food. Hell, show me a bull that can curl up at the foot of my bed, protect my mother while jogging, or let me know that little Timmy fell down a well.

Given that pet owners do see health benefits, we might consider that one can build a more positive relationship with a dog than a meal.

More specifically, though, James, take it or leave it as you wish, but if "there's no other conceivable reason", you're not giving it much thought.

And ... why munch on the cow when she gives milk? But that's splitting hairs, isn't it?

In a desperate situation, the dog could likely bring you more meals than its corpse would provide.

Seriously, you are better off with a cat. But we are not eating dogs because we are in a desperate situation, we are eating them because of glutony...

Syzygys said:

Seriously, you are better off with a cat.

My grandfather's dog could bring him larger game than my cats, which only ever bring small rodents or birds.

Either way, though.

As to gluttony and such: I may be a cat person, but I still get more from dogs than a meal. If people want to eat dogs, fine. Just don't go eating other people's dogs.

No. It's a matter of taste.

So, I guess the same thing applies to people eating dogs, right?
Yes it's personal taste. But with eating dogs, so much more comes into it.

Is there?
I have a pet dog. A big blubbery puppy of a golden doodle by the name of Charles. I adore him. He has blonde curly fur which he flicks indiscriminately when he's told not to do something.. as though to say 'try and stop me'.. He is spoiled rotten. My son adores him even more. He is my son's playmate, pillow when he decides to have a lie down to look up at the sky (as one example), guardian and protector and basically his best friend. When he wakes up in the morning and taken out of his room, he does not look for or at either of us, but he looks for Charles or Will and Henry our cats.

Now in light of this, would I ever decide to eat Charles or start munching on him for a snack? No. Nor would I ever eat any other dog. Nothing would ever induce me to. Nor would I eat either of our cats or any other cats. I would honestly rather starve than eat Charles or any of his four legged bretheren or any feline variety. Call me strange or even hypocritical, but when I eat a steak, I do not equate it as being in any way similar to 'munching' down on a dog.

Back