Doing bad deeds makes a bad person?

How can there not be such a thing as a bad person?

If you hurt others and know it's wrong and don't care, how are you not a bad person?

I'm definitely reading what everyone has to say, as of now this topic and the peoples opinions(not just in this thread, I've asked other people too and even wrote a speech on it) is the most interesting thing in my life. Can you define bad or evil? Personal definition or from a dictionary, we can use whatever you like.

There are many, many definitions and variations.

One of the most common is simply doing harm to another person or his/her property simply because you can or want to.

For example, would you say it was a "good" act to break into someone's house and steal their TV just because you wanted it?

There are many, many definitions and variations.

One of the most common is simply doing harm to another person or his/her property simply because you can or want to.

For example, would you say it was a "good" act to break into someone's house and steal their TV just because you wanted it?

Hmm, I guess if you define it that way there's no room to argue. I thought you were going to use one more similar to *goes to find definition* this.

Bad

17 dictionary results for: bad
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
bad1 [bad] Pronunciation Key adjective, worse, worst; (Slang) bad·der, bad·dest for 36; noun; adverb
–adjective
1. not good in any manner or degree.
2. having a wicked or evil character; morally reprehensible: There is no such thing as a bad boy.

number 2, please

Hmm, I guess if you define it that way there's no room to argue. I thought you were going to use one more similar to *goes to find definition* this.

Bad

17 dictionary results for: bad
Dictionary.com Unabridged (v 1.1) - Cite This Source - Share This
bad1 [bad] Pronunciation Key adjective, worse, worst; (Slang) bad·der, bad·dest for 36; noun; adverb
–adjective
1. not good in any manner or degree.
2. having a wicked or evil character; morally reprehensible: There is no such thing as a bad boy.

number 2, please

Sorry, don't understand your question. Because in #2 the first part is in direct contradiction to the part in italics. Both statements cannot be true; and taking #1 together with the first half of #2 clearly shows that the last half of #2 is obviously false.

My stance is people can be bad, but no one can help who they are, so the bad people are ultimately no worse than the good people, the good people are just lucky, and in a way that makes them more annoying.

My stance is people can be bad, but no one can help who they are, so the bad people are ultimately no worse than the good people, the good people are just lucky, and in a way that makes them more annoying.
Of course you can help who you are. You have free will, and you know right from wrong. When you choose to do that which you know to be wrong, you are bad.

Even my dog knows right from wrong. When it's gotten into the garbage or chewed up something it shouldn't have while we were out, it will greet us with it's ears down, very submissively, slinking around until we discover what it's done.

Well, does it? Personally, no, it does not. In my eyes, there is no such thing as a "bad" person or "bad" deeds.

Bad people are people who do bad things and arent sorry for doing them. You say there is no such thing as a bad deed? How're these:

Commiting murder
Having an extramarital affair
Stealing
Lying
Raping

Among others... so there is nothing wrong with those things? :bugeye: :confused:

Of course you can help who you are. You have free will, and you know right from wrong. When you choose to do that which you know to be wrong, you are bad.
You might know right from wrong, but happen to be the kind of person that wants to do the wrong thing. That makes someone bad, but my point is it's not really their fault that they are bad, that's just unlucky. That's what they turned out to be, others were lucky enough to turn out to be good.
They didn't really make themself from scratch, they were born with certain dispositions, and these were shaped by their experiences in life, and they are just the result of these factors.
Yeah sure now they can make decisions, but they're always making those decisions from the position of being what they are, which is something they had no control over.

You might know right from wrong, but happen to be the kind of person that wants to do the wrong thing. That makes someone bad, but my point is it's not really their fault that they are bad, that's just unlucky. That's what they turned out to be, others were lucky enough to turn out to be good.
They didn't really make themself from scratch, they were born with certain dispositions, and these were shaped by their experiences in life, and they are just the result of these factors.
Yeah sure now they can make decisions, but they're always making those decisions from the position of being what they are, which is something they had no control over.
Disposition or no, you can choose to do right. Do it often enough, and it becomes a habit, part of your disposition. Give in to temptation, to your "bad disposition", and you become a bad person.

Bad people are people who do bad things and arent sorry for doing them. You say there is no such thing as a bad deed? How're these:

Commiting murder
Having an extramarital affair
Stealing
Lying
Raping

Among others... so there is nothing wrong with those things? :bugeye: :confused:

Ohh, I just realized what everyone was saying, they were referring to the second half of my post about bad deeds. Here's my answer. To you, sure, it may be bad, but to someone else, it might be perfectly normal/OK/just. How are you supposed to decide which one to use? So, I say you cannot, and that there is no objective morality and that there are no bad deeds.

Ohh, I just realized what everyone was saying, they were referring to the second half of my post about bad deeds. Here's my answer. To you, sure, it may be bad, but to someone else, it might be perfectly normal/OK/just. How are you supposed to decide which one to use? So, I say you cannot, and that there is no objective morality and that there are no bad deeds.

You are not allowed to make that choice for yourself - society has already made it for you. (And continually add to the list of what it considers to be bad things.)

Now... if you want to go live on a deserted island all by yourself and never have any contact with other people, sure - it's whatever you want it to be.

But that's the ONLY way you can have it like that!

Edit: You are aware, aren't you, of what a psycopath is - right?

You are not allowed to make that choice for yourself - society has already made it for you. (And continually add to the list of what it considers to be bad things.)

Now... if you want to go live on a deserted island all by yourself and never have any contact with other people, sure - it's whatever you want it to be.

But that's the ONLY way you can have it like that!

Edit: You are aware, aren't you, of what a psycopath is - right?

Oh, I'll obey the laws, that's for sure. But not following the laws definitely doesn't make you a bad person, as been stated before. I'm simply asking if doing these bad deeds make you a bad person, the debate of whether bad deeds exist or whether "evil" exists is an entirely different topic. Just because society thinks something is bad doesn't mean it's actually bad, a little thinking about it will make this clear to you. Fifty years from now, I can almost assure you that societies view of what's right and wrong will change from now, so even though society says both is correct, which one is really correct?

To your edit, although I've been called that on multiple occasions, I'm not actually aware of the definition of the word.

Oh, I'll obey the laws, that's for sure. But not following the laws definitely doesn't make you a bad person, as been stated before. I'm simply asking if doing these bad deeds make you a bad person, the debate of whether bad deeds exist or whether "evil" exists is an entirely different topic. Just because society thinks something is bad doesn't mean it's actually bad, a little thinking about it will make this clear to you. Fifty years from now, I can almost assure you that societies view of what's right and wrong will change from now, so even though society says both is correct, which one is really correct?

You're hitting all around the main point but still missing it.:)

Someone who does bad deeds - as defined by the people living in the same society as they do - MAKES them a bad person by definition. As I said, go live completely alone with no human contact and you will not be judged as EITHER good or bad.

To your edit, although I've been called that on multiple occasions, I'm not actually aware of the definition of the word.

Simply put, it means someone with such a serious mental defect that they cannot tell the difference between right and wrong. Such people become locked up to protect everyone from them. And I'm sure you don't qualify as one.;)

"As it is written, There is none righteous, no, not one:" (Romans 3:10)

Wow, really! Seems there so many righteous people all over and even on this forum
I am sure since you quoted the Bible that there will many who say they don’t believe the Bible and then begin to argue why they are so right, thus proving my statement.

I notice many people say a person once bad always bad…. I was always taught, it was the “act” not the “person” that is bad. Good people do bad things. There will be those who argue.

Hypothetically then what is a person spent the majority (40 years or more) of their life helping others, working with the poor, feeding the hungry and giving of their time, energy and a great deal of money to other causes to make the world a better place? Would they still be considered a good person if it was learned when they were young that had brutally raped and killed a child?

Someone said it was a person’s action’s that defined who they are; others say that once a person does bad it is easier to always be bad. How can anyone argue that John Wayne Gacey was evil because he killed 13 children and then accept President Bush for a war that he instigated that killed thousands of children? Does this make Bush a bad man, if not then why is John Wayne Gacey a bad man? A murdered child is a murdered child.... Both bad acts in my book.

You're hitting all around the main point but still missing it.:)

Someone who does bad deeds - as defined by the people living in the same society as they do - MAKES them a bad person by definition. As I said, go live completely alone with no human contact and you will not be judged as EITHER good or bad.

Simply put, it means someone with such a serious mental defect that they cannot tell the difference between right and wrong. Such people become locked up to protect everyone from them. And I'm sure you don't qualify as one.;)

Oh, I know I can be judged to be good or bad, but this is a thread about whether a person can BE bad. Do we understand each other?

Oh, I know I can be judged to be good or bad, but this is a thread about whether a person can BE bad. Do we understand each other?

Can a person BE bad? You tell me.

What about:

Charles Manson
Hitler
Pol Pot
Ted Bundy
Jeff Dalimer
Son of Sam (Berkowitz)
The Uni-bomber
The woman who killed her baby in the microwave recently
The woman who drowned her kids in the car in the lake (Susan-something)
The guy in Canada on the bus who killed a guy he didn't even know and cut off his head

And about a million others...

Were/are any of them bad?

Can a person BE bad? You tell me.

What about:

Charles Manson
Hitler
Pol Pot
Ted Bundy
Jeff Dalimer
Son of Sam (Berkowitz)
The Uni-bomber
The woman who killed her baby in the microwave recently
The woman who drowned her kids in the car in the lake (Susan-something)
The guy in Canada on the bus who killed a guy he didn't even know and cut off his head

And about a million others...

Were/are any of them bad?

They definitely weren't beneficial to society. Someone else might hail all of these people as heroes, and you know that. I don't know how one can pick which persons judgment of good to use, so I choose none.

if an action harms another person, emotionally or physically, then the action is bad.

basically what you are saying is, if there exists anywhere a single person that doesnt think a particular action is wrong, then its not wrong. Thats one of the silliest arguments Ive ever heard... Dont you have any respect for human life? Why on earth would it be OK to kill someone? would you be Ok with it if someone killed you? (Obviously you'd be dead, but I'm talking hypothetically of course)

Back