Does This Sound Unreasonable?

A photon can be made to speed up, if it passes a barrier in spacetime, using prisms.

A photon can be slowed down, close to a strong gravitational field.

But when i said that, it's really not the point.

If velocity was enough to account for inertia, inertia would have been explained a long time ago. But it is universally accepted that niether Einstein or Newton gave appropriate reasons why a rest mass can experience inertia.

A photon can be made to speed up, if it passes a barrier in spacetime, using prisms.

A photon can be slowed down, close to a strong gravitational field.

And these phenomena have been observed and measured?

The photon has been observed to move faster than c by two German scientists. The photon hasn't been observed (in the case i was talking about), to move slower around a black hole for instance, but the effects of gravity on photons have been observed. This is because photons can couple to gravity, because photons create a gravitofield as they move through, and distort spacetime simultaneously.

The photon has been observed to move faster than c by two German scientists.

reference?

Then you have to reformulate your theories. We should stick to experiments in vacuum.

But it is universally accepted that niether Einstein or Newton gave appropriate reasons why a rest mass can experience inertia.

When did Newton use the term "rest mass"?

The photon has been observed to move faster than c by two German scientists.

Two Germans are the only ones who observed that? No one else? Where are their findings? Why hasn't anyone else observed that?

The photon hasn't been observed (in the case i was talking about), to move slower around a black hole for instance, but the effects of gravity on photons have been observed. This is because photons can couple to gravity, because photons create a gravitofield as they move through, and distort spacetime simultaneously.

I've never heard of them slowing down under those circumstances, and since it was never observed, how can you make that assertion?

Right, hold ye horses guys. I'll find a link, or even the paper, i have it somewhere.

Q

''I've never heard of them slowing down under those circumstances, and since it was never observed, how can you make that assertion?''

It's true. According to relativity, a black hole can even stop a photon at the event horizon.

Right, i don't have a link, but here is the paper. I want it known, that not everyone believes the photon sped up, though most physicists do.

Public release date: 16-Aug-2007
[ Print Article | E-mail Article | Close Window ]

henry.gomm@rbi.co.uk
020-761-11206
New Scientist

Light seems to defy its own speed limit
IT'S a speed record that is supposed to be impossible to break. Yet two physicists are now claiming they have propelled photons faster than the speed of light. This would be in direct violation of a key tenet of Einstein's special theory of relativity that states that nothing, under any circumstance, can exceed the speed of light.

Günter Nimtz and Alfons Stahlhofen of the University of Koblenz, Germany, have been exploring a phenomenon in quantum optics called photon tunnelling, which occurs when a particle slips across an apparently uncrossable barrier. The pair say they have now tunnelled photons "instantaneously" across a barrier of various sizes, from a few millimetres up to a metre. Their conclusion is that the photons traverse the barrier much faster than the speed of light.

To see how far they could make photons tunnel, Nimtz and Stahlhofen sandwiched two glass prisms together to make a cube 40 centimetres on its sides. Since photons tunnel most readily over distances comparable with their wavelength, the physicists used microwaves with a wavelength of 33 cm - long enough for large tunnelling distances yet still short enough that the photons' paths can be bent by the prism.

As expected, the microwaves shone straight through the cube, and when the prisms were separated, the first prism reflected the microwaves (see Diagram). However, in accordance with theory, a few microwave photons also tunnelled across the gap separating the two prisms, continuing as if the prisms were still sandwiched together.

Nimtz and Stahlhofen found that the reflected microwaves and the few microwaves that tunnelled through to the second prism both arrived at their respective photodetectors at the same time. This suggests an ultra-fast transit between the two prisms - so much faster than the speed of light that the experimenters couldn't measure it. Moreover, the pair found that the tunnelling time, if any, did not change as they pulled the prisms further apart. Because tunnelling efficiency also drops off with distance, however, Nimtz says that they could not observe the effect across distances greater than 1 metre (http://arxiv.org/abs/0708.0681).

"For the time being," he says, "this is the only violation [of special relativity] that I know of."

How can this be explained" The Heisenberg uncertainty principle dictates that a particle's energy and the time it spends in any one place cannot both be known with absolute precision. This means particles can sometimes sneak over a barrier if the time they spend traversing that barrier is short enough. Bizarre as it may seem, quantum tunnelling is not only a commonplace phenomenon in the quantum world, it also lies at the core of many processes we take for granted.

"In my opinion, tunnelling is the most important physical process, because we have it in radioactivity and we have it in nuclear fusion," Nimtz says. "The temperature of the sun is not high enough to organise regular fusion of protons into helium [without tunnelling]. Some people are saying that the big bang happened because of tunnelling. Recently, many people have argued that processes in biology and in our brain are based on tunnelling."

reference?

Then you have to reformulate your theories. We should stick to experiments in vacuum.

When did Newton use the term "rest mass"?

Newton, obviously never said rest mass. I said that for Einsteins sake.

If we are talking about vacuum experiments, then even a thing moving spacetime, experiences a mass increase. I tend to fall towards the mass increase as being the reason why it will tend not to change velocity.

I guess it's all a type of reserve of energy, possibly linked to the principle of least action.

Umm, tunnelling is NOT the same as moving velocities greater than C.
Sort of proven by the words
Moreover, the pair found that the tunnelling time, if any, did not change as they pulled the prisms further apart.
It's not travelling at all it, just "teleporting".

Edit: damn I gotta post faster.
Ben beat me.

Though, i am sure they did. I haven't read Bens report before. Not one detailed like that anyway, and over the years, the claims of physicists i have read, is that light had been observed to move faster than c.

Though, i am sure they did.
You're sure they did?
But you couldn't be bothered to check?
My explanation, such as it was, occurred to me while reading the damned report.
So you're presumably of the opinion that "most physicists" with their better knowledge and equipment can't find the flaw in something, when it takes me half a second? :rolleyes:

Back