Does god make mistakes?

Quantum Quack: Does God make mistakes? well does he?
M*W: Absolutely, no! There is no way God could make any mistakes. God is supposed to be omniscient, omnipotent, and omnipresent. He lives in the minds of humankind. But there is no way God could make any mistakes. No god exists!

This should be an interesting thread. In the Bible basically it says God is perfect, though I don't abide by everything it says. I think we may think God makes mistakes, but I think everything is for a reason. Seeing as dinner is ready, I won't get into this in much depth, just giving my opinion:D

Well, if God was going to make a mistake, He knew about it beforehand.

Having known about it beforehand, he could not have made a mistake on accident (by mistake).

Therefore God does not make mistakes.

sooo......if he doesn't make mistakes how do you explain, the serpent in the garden of Eden and the need to flood the earth in Noah's day and why he ........etc etc......was he fixing a mistake or what?

Another thought:
Would God admit to making a mistake given that every one who believes in him thinks he is incapable of making a mistake?
Is evolution a mistake? Or is it a natural process of trial and error?

Does being perfection "el-supremo" render God incapable of creativity or thought or experimentation, or curiocity, or the potential to reason or by extention make mistakes?

If you're talking about the God of the Bible, then no, that concept of God does not make mistakes. It is impossible.

Presuming God exists (as I believe), then a being that knows everything knows all outcomes, and would by nature make the best choice, which could not possibly be a mistake.

God has creative power and ability, clearly, as he created the universe and all existence. This whole foreknowledge business is very sticky and I don't know of any good arguments off the top of my head that defend it.

Last edited:
TheMidnight12AM said:
If you're talking about the God of the Bible, then no, that concept of God does not make mistakes. It is impossible.

Presuming God exists (as I believe), then a being that knows everything knows all outcomes, and would by nature make the best choice, which could not possibly be a mistake.

God has creative power and ability, clearly, as he created the universe and all existence. This whole foreknowledge business is very sticky and I don't know of any good arguments off the top of my head that defend it.

it could be argued that God by your description doesn't need to make choices as he would have already made that perfect choice......Choice only exists if there is actually a choice and if God is always perfect then has he got a choice to make?

Is God a prisoner of his own perfection?

is there any point to curiocity or interest, for that matter, if foreknowledge is absolute. Curiocity is a null concept if foreknowledge exits. We would have one very bored God on our hands I guess.....

Last edited:
If God's omniscient, then he must be very bored, at least. Imagine never being surprised by anything.

Quantum Quack said:
sooo......if he doesn't make mistakes how do you explain, the serpent in the garden of Eden and the need to flood the earth in Noah's day and why he ........etc etc......was he fixing a mistake or what?

Another thought:
Would God admit to making a mistake given that every one who believes in him thinks he is incapable of making a mistake?
Is evolution a mistake? Or is it a natural process of trial and error?

Well..

Like I said, by His omniscience, He knew already that the serpent would tempt the two, that the two would fall, that He would destroy the earth, blah blah blah . He knew what He would do.

Think of it as: God already knew what He was going to know.

By this, we can say that evolution is preordained, as are electron positions, the going in and coming out of all those particles in vacua, the thoughts flowing through your head, the next response, God's next action.

So James, God has foreknowledge of his surprise as well. Imagine that!

EDIT: Not sure He would be bored though. I think He would know before hand of imminent boredom but that seems to be more of a human frailty. Maybe that's the reason for Heisenberg's principle?

Just a question though, does Heisenberg's principle exclude the possibility of an omniscient being (God)?

in some ways teh logic of all this is quite amazing.....

If god has to make a second choice he has to consider his first choice to be a mistake, so this means that if God is as believed by so many he is an entity that can not possibly function in a conscious willed sense.

It shows how Medicine womans concept of god is more valid than that of more orthadox religions.

Sort of like this
He is so perfect and so omni everything that he is a neutral concept as an individual capable of action. No wonder miracles are not a very frequent event..

God doesn't make mistakes, but from from a human (personal) viewpoint it often feels as God is evil and makes mistakes. Even though God is within us (in our mind), we are still separated from him because we push away anything which doesn't fit to our own personality.

God is omnipresent, so he exists even in humans, who make "mistakes". But "mistake" is a human concept, it doesn't really exist except in the human imagination. It is paradoxical to speak about God if we don't have the mind of God. We can never understand God if we don't have the mind of God. How could the created talk about the creator? Words are creation. They separate and offer resistance. God already knows everything we say here and the words we say only have a personal meaning...

James R said:
If God's omniscient, then he must be very bored, at least. Imagine never being surprised by anything.

Only humans are have emotions and thoughts. God already knows everything, what would he think or feel or see or hear or be?

Nothing (everything)

Quantum Quack said:
It shows how Medicine womans concept of god is more valid than that of more orthadox religions.

Medicine Woman doesn't exist, neither does anything else except ME (the universal self, nothing-everything, also called God)

God is omnipresent, so he exists even in humans, who make "mistakes". But "mistake" is a human concept, it doesn't really exist except in the human imagination. It is paradoxical to speak about God if we don't have the mind of God. We can never understand God if we don't have the mind of God. How could the created talk about the creator? Words are creation. They separate and offer resistance. God already knows everything we say here and the words we say only have a personal meaning...

Just in case you didn't catch your own self contradiction:

If we can never understand God because we don't have the mind of God, then we certainly can not know of Him either. And for this reason, your explanation is nulled since you can know nothing of Him.

Yorda:

God already knows everything, what would he think or feel or see or hear or be?

If He doesn't do any of those things, what DOES he do? Anything?

§outh§tar said:
Just in case you didn't catch your own self contradiction:

If we can never understand God because we don't have the mind of God, then we certainly can not know of Him either. And for this reason, your explanation is nulled since you can know nothing of Him.

We don't have the mind of God right now, so we can't understand him or talk about him. But one day we will be God.

James R said:
If He doesn't do any of those things, what DOES he do? Anything?

Since he does everything at the same time, he does nothing. He has all personalities, so he has none. He believes all things, so he has no belief, not even the absence of belief. Everything and nothing are the same thing. All "opposites" are.

Once someone asked me what I would do if I was God. I answered: Nothing.

We don't have the mind of God right now, so we can't understand him or talk about him. But one day we will be God.

Ok.

This is precisely what I am trying to explain to you:

By your own words, you shouldn't be talking about God. At all.

Back