Does God make mistakes?

There is nothing to justify some of the horrors that humans have inflicted on each other.

Either there is no god, or the omnipotent god makes mistakes or it allows these things to happen. In which case it doesn't appear to have the control over all things that some would like to believe.

The question then is. Why would a god make such mistakes ?

Do scriptures have any bearing on any of this?

jan

Do scriptures have any bearing on any of this?

jan

Not IMO. In the end what is, is what is. The raped baby doesn't care about what the scriptures say while it's being raped.

So which is it.

The god is cruel and in control ?
The god does not have control ?
The god is inept, lol ?

Can the real god please stand up.

I realized I should have added that even the God of the old testement, before the Chrisitian theologians got ahold of him, was a cantakerous God who controlled neither Adam and Eve nor Lucifer. He had moods, changed his mind and acts differently in different situations. A monotheism with a God not in full control that changes over time.

Right, and this is why the pantheism reasoning doesn't work to explain these mistakes.

In that scenario there is no specific entity and we are in control of our own destiny and we make the choices and there is no specific god to take control.

We can't simultaneously say that the god is all powerfull, is capable of making mistakes and yet has no responsibility for the mistakes.

IOW, he let the child get raped, period.

Sure, it was in the context of this discussion I found it confusing, but I've adapted. We are having a different discussion I would say.

I guess. With LG, I find his ideas consistent, though he seems consistently Eastern, more on the Vedic side than the Buddhist. To me those traditions do not have the same kind of problem of evil that the Western traditions have, because there is not the sense of the personal loving father, for example. Unlike the Western traditions - or really Middle Eastern ones - there is the multiple lifetimes perspective. As far as Jan's posts it all seems rather elusive to me.

It is said...
It could be looked at....

I think if one is implicitly saying things are just fine, God has made no mistakes, some sort of stand has to be taken.

And I suppose, appropos our other discussion about when to challenge certain ideas, it seems radically important to me how one thinks of an experience like rape. It if really does not have to do with having been a rapist in a past life or some such, then telling people it does is a kind of abuse. And so to me I think one should be held to a rather high standard if this is something one is suggesting to others, rather than simply privately believing.

What experiences, intuition, logic, etc. are sufficient support to put out there that if you have been raped it is some karmic balance for what you did before?

How certain should one be to make such assertions?

I realize this is a charged topic, and what I will say might sound cruel, but:

People are responsible for what they think.
People are responsible for what they believe.
People are responsible for whom they choose to listen to.

When people experience trauma in their lives, they sometimes have a very strong desire to give up their responsibility for what they think, believe, whom they listen to.
So they seem to think that because they have experienced trauma, it should be that whoever claims to know the truth or takes an interest in them, indeed knows and tells the truth and has the traumatized person's best interest at heart.
As if being a victim would somehow absolve them of personal responsibility and grant them the qualification for unconditional audience to the Absolute Truth.
"I have been raped! I now have the right to be told only the Absolute Truth! People are now obligated to tell me the Absolute Truth only! People are now obligated to be kind to me and only wish me well!"

But just because one is a victim of a violation or crime, this does not make one's responsibilites expire.
If someone cuts in front of you in traffic - it is up to you to take responsibility for your response (whether you get angry, sad, whichever, what you think of the event, to whom you talk about it).
If you get gang raped, it is the same, as far as taking responsibility for your response goes.

I am not saying that by you taking responsibility for your response, others are absolved from being responsible for what they say.
In Chinese Buddhism, for example, they believe that if one instructs another person wrongly, one will be born blind the next time around; elsewhere, it is suggested that a false instructor could end up in hell. The teachings on karma and reincarnation do state there are consequences for instructing people wrongly.

What if it is the desire of the living entity to be placed there?

I think here something must be specified:

Every phenomenon that a person observes or focuses on that has happened to them, is not necessarily one that the person also desired.
It is not accurate to say that whatever (is observed or focused on that) happened to a person, was also what the person desired.

If I run down a flight of stairs, trip, fall and break my leg, this does not necessarily mean that I desired to break my leg.
I desired to quickly come down the stairs, or I desired to quickly get out of the building. In the course of running down the stairs, a number of things can happen that I had no desire for and probably haven't thought about either.

Last edited:
I mean seriously, look at the discussion between me and Jan and the way it is implied that somehow it has really been OK that babies are raped without really quite saying this. The baby is innocent, but why am I sure the soul of the baby is? I mean, honestly this is a mind fuck.

We have been doing this for thousands of years. It's time to stop.

Some questions:

What do you think is a "person"?
What do you think is the relationship between the body and the soul?
How do you think does human action take place, what factors are necessary for human action to take place?

I realized I should have added that even the God of the old testement, before the Chrisitian theologians got ahold of him, was a cantakerous God who controlled neither Adam and Eve nor Lucifer. He had moods, changed his mind and acts differently in different situations. A monotheism with a God not in full control that changes over time.

You seem to think that God, if He is to be any kind of a real God, should be the same at all times and in all circumstances, regardless of whom He is interacting with or when or about what -?

jpappl,

Not IMO. In the end what is, is what is.

:confused::confused::confused:

The raped baby doesn't care about what the scriptures say while it's being raped.

The babe doesn't care, period.

So which is it.

The god is cruel and in control ?
The god does not have control ?
The god is inept, lol ?

None of the above.
God is in control of material nature.
Material nature has its laws.
As we are here, our bodies are under the control of material nature.
The point of real religion is bring the mind, therefore the senses, under control.
This way we can eventually understand, by practical application, how not to return to this conditional existence, once we finally leave the body.

You don't have to believe it is true, but within it there lies answers to the question posed by Doreen. One only has to look.

jan.

Yes, I am having the same problem with LG's stance here.

It's quite simple.
You create an avatar in an online game.
When the avatar (you) is shot, stabbed, or raped, why don't you feel the pain of the ordeal?
Because you are completely aware that avatar is only a representation of you.
Jesus was in this world, but not of it, which is how he could act the way he did.

That's a crude a version of my thoughts on LG's stance.

jan.

I think here something must be specified:

Every phenomenon that a person observes or focuses on that has happened to them, is not necessarily one that the person also desired.
It is not accurate to say that whatever (is observed or focused on that) happened to a person, was also what the person desired.

If I run down a flight of stairs, trip, fall and break my leg, this does not necessarily mean that I desired to break my leg.
I desired to quickly come down the stairs, or I desired to quickly get out of the building. In the course of running down the stairs, a number of things can happen that I had no desire for and probably haven't thought about either.

I agree.
But my point is that, desires come with consequences.
What Doreen seems to be miffed about are the consequences of innumerable desires over innumerable millenias.

"...i want to go on that scary ride, who are you to tell me i can't?...?
Then when someone gets killed we cry..."..why do we allow these dangerous rides?..."

jan.

The point of real religion is bring the mind, therefore the senses, under control.

But why should the senses be brought under control, for what purpose, to what end?
At first glance, controlling the senses seems like a prudent endeavor, but upon further examination, I just don't see the point, other than trying to take pride in austerity and get some satisfaction that way.

This way we can eventually understand, by practical application, how not to return to this conditional existence, once we finally leave the body.

What is so bad about conditional existence?
Again, at first glance, it seems prudent to want out. Out of conditional existence toward what?
I see no reason to think that unconditional existence is any better than this; it's just another kind of misery, if not worse.

When God said that mistakes had been made I felt incredibly validated. In ways I had long since given up hope about.

First of all, where did God say He made a mistake?

And secondly, I find it utterly demoralizing to consider that God could be fallible.

To believe that God is fallible is to believe that that which per definition contextualizes my own sanity/rationality, is fallible.
But if that which per definition contextualizes my own sanity/rationality, is fallible, then so is my sanity/rationality.
And so I do not actually possess the ability to judge whether God is fallible or not.

"God is fallible" is an absurd statement.

Signal,

But why should the senses be brought under control, for what purpose, to what end?

To control the flow of material desires, which eventually diverts the attention
of the mind, to the body.

At first glance, controlling the senses seems like a prudent endeavor, but upon further examination, I just don't see the point, other than trying to take pride in austerity and get some satisfaction that way.

So if you're going to take an important exam, do you think it is wise to discipline yourself in preparation, or not?

jan.

So if you're going to take an important exam, do you think it is wise to discipline yourself in preparation, or not?

Sure. But people take exams for a reason, a reason they find worthy enough.

But what can one really look forward to in relation to God?

An eternity of telling myself "No, this is wonderful, I am so happy, this is so good, no, I am not miserable at all, this is so fine and good and all is well!!" -?

Signal,

What is so bad about conditional existence?

Would you volunteer for forced conditioning if offered?
If you answer no, then you'll have your answer.
If you answer yes, then my answer is, nothing is bad about it.

Out of conditional existence toward what?

Toward pureness, understanding things as they are, no more need for anxiety, real pleasure, equally steady in happiness, or distress.
We are all working toward a blissfull life, even the rapist, but we just can't seem to reach it, as there is always something just around the corner to upset the applecart.
This is due to insatiable desires, which come about through the need to gratify our bodily senses, always ending in disappointment.

I see no reason to think that unconditional existence is any better than this; it's just another kind of misery, if not worse.

Why?

jan.

Sure. But people take exams for a reason, a reason they find worthy enough.

But what can one really look forward to in relation to God?

An eternity of telling myself "No, this is wonderful, I am so happy, this is so good, no, I am not miserable at all, this is so fine and good and all is well!!" -?

Have you ever had a glimpse of happiness, or calmness, or satisfaction, in your life?

jan.

Have you ever had a glimpse of happiness, or calmness, or satisfaction, in your life?

No. And of course I feel guilty about that, thinking of events, actions and people and telling myself "Oh, but this was happiness, that was good." But no, it was not. Mere scratches on the surface.

Of course, plenty of people will come in and say that this is because I am not sincere, because I want to lord it over material nature and because the Dharma is simple for the simple-hearted and hard for the crooked! So I am crooked, allright, what should I do?

I keep thinking that if only I managed to hate myself enough, if only I managed to feel stupid and evil enough, then things would get better. After all, this is the cure for crooked people, right? But so far, it hasn't worked.

Would you volunteer for forced conditioning if offered?
If you answer no, then you'll have your answer.
If you answer yes, then my answer is, nothing is bad about it.

"Volunteer" and "forced" are mutually exclusive, so I cannot answer your question.

Logically, the option to not exist is impossible, but it is something I find the least unappealing, given the other options.

Toward pureness, understanding things as they are, no more need for anxiety, real pleasure, equally steady in happiness, or distress.

Sure, such noble goals. The top one being to cultivate detachment from the desire to ever be with God, right?

Why?

Because my suspicion is that even if I somehow managed to come into the spiritual world, I would end up being the servant of the servant of the servant of the servant of the servant etc.. And that when I would eventually ask the servant above me "When will I finally see God and have a relationship with Him, as is promised in the scriptures?", then some stuck-up city damsel, of course a proper devotee and Vaisnavi (woe is me if I thought that she could be anything less than that), would explain to me that I just am not good enough and that I should find my happiness in forever yearning for God, or she'd even explain to me how the relationship in absence is even better than a direct one and that I should cultivate that. And of course I would have to believe her that and act accordingly, for otherwise by disagreeing with her, I would be committing an offense against a Vaisnava, and off to hell with me!

Back