Do you fear Death?

Do you fear Death?

• Total voters
fadeaway: my dad died when I was 18, how I look at things, are, as long as I remember him, as long as my children remember him, as long as the story of him is told in the future, he will never be gone. or forgotten.
now with all the different types of media we have, we can keep a better record of our loved ones, so they are never gone.
it's you our own selfpity, that causes our problems, we've only to remember the good times, and a smile will cover our faces.
sometimes when I'm thinking, something my father would have said, comes to mind and I smile to myself.
I have no fear of dying, even though my corpse will rot (I dont believe in an afterlife)I know my family will always remember me.

Last edited:
No one commands me. No man. No God. No elder. No Prince. What is claim of age for ones who are immortal? What is a claim of power for ones who defy death? Call your damnable hunt. We shall see whom I drag down to hell with me.

the preacher said:
fadeaway: my dad died when I was 18, how I look at things, are, as long as I remember him, as long as my children remember him, as long as the story of him is told in the future, he will never be gone. or forgotten.
now with all the different types of media we have, we can keep a better record of our loved ones, so they are never gone.
it's you our own selfpity, that causes our problems, we've only to remember the good times, and a smile will cover our faces.
sometimes when I'm thinking, something my father would have said, comes to mind and I smile to myself.
I have no fear of dying, even though my corpse will rot (I dont believe in an afterlife)I know my family will always remember me.

First of all, I'm sorry to hear that, man. But we're talking about different things here: you cling to the bittersweet melancholy of remembrance, which is an effective means for dealing with grief, I agree. However, here I'm not talking about oblivion, vanishing memories vs. upheld memories. That sounds nice and all, but it only affects the living, and I know that memories, as heartwarming as they may be, will NOT be enough for me. I'm talking about the final, unavoidable severing of any physical contact with the loved ones. The eternal absence of them. Simple as that. It won't bother me in the least when I'm dead, but it sure as hell bothers me now.

The way I see it, the only way not to fear death in anyway is not to love anyone, so I guess I'll take things as they are, after all.

Am I depressing or what? Shit, I'm normally much, much more lighthearted than this.

PS: In fact, now I'm feeling the overwhelming urge to start a thread about boobies, or something. Under General Philosophy.

Last edited:
spider,

I found I could not answer your poll. Perhaps it is just an attitude thing - I simply expect to find a way to survive and I don't consider death an option. Hence the issue of fear or not doesn't arise.

I used to think I wasn't afraid of it at all, but a near-death experience taught me otherwise.

DDD: Some people are more afraid of life than death.
M*W: So true! Someone said that if we're not busy being born, then we are busy dying. I say there would be no fear of death if we were always in the process of being born.

Hi,

Is dreamless sleep a little death? And not waking up a lot of death? That which you fear the most might meet you half way.

(apologies to Eddie Vedder)
Allcare.

stretched said:
Hi,

Is dreamless sleep a little death? And not waking up a lot of death? That which you fear the most might meet you half way.

(apologies to Eddie Vedder)
Allcare.

That is a fascinating question. one i've wondered about before. sleep alternates doesn't it between different states of vibrations, alpha etc. and i think 'delta' is the deepest, and where you have dreamless sleep, what i call oblivion

so i wonder if post mortem experience is like that....ie., that there may be visionary experiences, but also the void, where therer is no awareness? and yet OUT Of that comes awareness,
....comon you'll physicalists. what do you say?..heh

spidergoat said:
I used to think I wasn't afraid of it at all, but a near-death experience taught me otherwise.

spidergoat...what you've said herer has REALLY intrigued me. Have you shared about your experience anywhere on these boards?

also, where you seem to suggest that post your NDE you ARe afriad of death. that confession runs counter to what i have read about NDS. in fact many people who had experienced them wanted to get BACK to the visions they had seen etc., which i found disturbing

It was only near, not like I passed out and saw a bright light at the end of a tunnel. It was a foolish indulgence to excess of a popular but dangerous substance. It was not like facing terminal cancer, there wasn't even any medical intervention. But, as you might expect, such experiences can shake you up, like narrowly avoiding an accident. It made me think that the nature of the death is most important. I could see accepting death when your lying on the ground after colliding with a truck, but it's much harder when you have days, weeks, months to think about it, or if it was the result of your own stupidity.

once i heard this person sepaking about his experience of nearly drowning. it happened where he could see people going about thier daily business, and as he felt himself slipping out of consciousness felt how EASy it was to just die.....not the DRAMATIC thing he had imagined it might be

duendy: once i heard this person sepaking about his experience of nearly drowning. it happened where he could see people going about thier daily business, and as he felt himself slipping out of consciousness felt how EASy it was to just die.....not the DRAMATIC thing he had imagined it might be
M*W: I've heard this, too. Death by drowning was instituted by Greek society back in the day. Consciousness leaves peacefully as the water infiltrates the body. That's how baptism came to be. Holding one down in the water until he experienced ecstacy. That was the tradition. Nowhere does Jesus come into this picture. Baptism was drowning beyond ecstacy.

It's easy to proudly say "I don't fear death!", but if you have any survival insticts whatsoever, you fear death. It's imprinted in our biology to want to stay alive. Change is scary. Even if you believe in life after death, the transformation to the unknown reality is not something you take easily. Perhaps it's the fear of losing your identity that is worst. To not know who or what you will become. Advanced guesses may exist, but not until you're there, you will know for sure.
The level of fear at the moment of death is dependant on your beliefs, personality, life experiences, friends and family left behind and possible worries concerning them, worries concerning how you have lived and will be received.
Just as sleep comes easier when you're satisfied with yourself and you life, so does death.

Bebelina - well said. It's been a while - haven't seen you around recently.

So here's my fundamental criticism of religion. If a strong belief is promoted that there is life after death then that must necessarily degrade our primary survival instinct – i.e. if death is seen only as a transition to something better then an effort to hold onto your existing life or promote longer life will be seen as somewhat less important than if no such belief was held.

If we now understand that good is anything that promotes life and happiness and bad is the opposite then we can see that religious promotion of a life after death fantasy must be one of the greatest evils mankind has had to face.

Cris

Cris said:
Bebelina - well said. It's been a while - haven't seen you around recently.

So here's my fundamental criticism of religion. If a strong belief is promoted that there is life after death then that must necessarily degrade our primary survival instinct – i.e. if death is seen only as a transition to something better then an effort to hold onto your existing life or promote longer life will be seen as somewhat less important than if no such belief was held.

d__i see it that if people are clinging on to life then they wont let go. are you suggesting that people who CLAIM 'consciously' (dont forget the unconscious .....?) they dont believe in after daeth and thus presume total oblivion of what they believe they are that they WONT cling?
And considering the billions ofs gobbling gobblers gobbling all the resources from this small planet, wouldn't it be better TO let go and not pine for a long life where you carry on gobbling?.....i like you am not mad on fundamental beliefs. mainly cause they divide life whilst living into 'good' 'bad' etc. but in prepatriarchal times there was an accpetance of return to the Mother. a whole different insight than what became return to a 'Father'!

If we now understand that good is anything that promotes life and happiness and bad is the opposite then we can see that religious promotion of a life after death fantasy must be one of the greatest evils mankind has had to face.

Cris
what i see as the evil or ignorance is not the believing in some kind of after life, but rather when ALL is focussed on that and then the earth, Nature is seen as merely a 'school' or not to be cared for cause they are going to a 'spiritual PERMANENT place......prepatriarchal beliefs understood a cyclic organic going and returning. Thus Earth was VERy important to care for. as it is ours and all species home

Hello Cris, oh I think mankind has faced worse evils than that, don't you think? Pretty harmless in comparison to pedophilia, torture etc.

Duendy, Earth is also a spiritual being, and those in tune with her know to care for her too. It's sad when people use excuses to not care, whatever they may be.

Back