Do theists know deep down that there no afterlife?

No, I agree with your statement.

My statement is that your assertion was arrant nonsense.
If you agree with that then you're retracting your assertion, neh?

On the other hand, those of you outside of Christ are dead this very moment

That says that non-believers are dead.
Hence belief (in Christ) distinguishes life from death: nonsense or not?

My statement is that your assertion was arrant nonsense.

No it wasn't. Get your facts straight...your statement was this:

"So belief, in and of itself, is what distinguishes life from death?
Arrant nonsense."

To which I agreed.

Keep going.
Those outside of Christ are dead. Your words.
Implying those inside aren't.
So what's the difference between them other than belief?

Or are you just going to continue with unsubstantiated snide one-liners?

Your careless and sloppy thinking will be the death of you.
According to you I'm already dead, so no big deal.

Okay, so it's snide one liners.
You're not interested in a discussion, just spouting scripture.
Nice.
Stupid, and predictable.

the next question would be "Is evidence inherently connected to qualification and do such 'unbelievers' meet such standards of qualification?"
Well, I will not ever again address this issue of "qualification" as a requirement to percieve the fundamental existence of such a fundamental entity as a universal god.

My final (and too oft repeated) word is this. There is no currently observed phenomenon in the visible universe that is better explained as the result of a god (including the neurochemically generated "visions" or insights (delusions?)) of "advanced theists", and the most intellectually bankrupt position to take for the as-yet unexplained phenomena of the cosmos is to leap to the absolute certainty of a "god".

No more, no more.

the next question would be "Is it reasonable to expect all aspects of reality to be discernible by classical empiricism?"
Yes. All. Given that the best understanding we have of the workings of the physical world (including the hardware of the brain - which has the side effect of a self referential feedback mechanism called consciousness) is that it is largely the result of inter and intra atomic interactions.

"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Theists would use this to attack non-believers (rationalists) but actually it reads like a pretty good description of what science propounds. All of the religious philosophy in the history of humanity has yielded nothing but a generally flawed set of "insights" into humanity and the cosmos.

Supe

Originally Posted by lightgigantic
the next question would be "Is evidence inherently connected to qualification and do such 'unbelievers' meet such standards of qualification?"

Well, I will not ever again address this issue of "qualification" as a requirement to percieve the fundamental existence of such a fundamental entity as a universal god.
so in other words you are saying no qualification is required?

My final (and too oft repeated) word is this. There is no currently observed phenomenon in the visible universe that is better explained as the result of a god (including the neurochemically generated "visions" or insights (delusions?)) of "advanced theists", and the most intellectually bankrupt position to take for the as-yet unexplained phenomena of the cosmos is to leap to the absolute certainty of a "god".

No more, no more.
in other words you grant the status of persons who make positive claims as "neurochemically generated visions" - is that an empirical claim or is merely one that tallies very conveniently with your value system?

the next question would be "Is it reasonable to expect all aspects of reality to be discernible by classical empiricism?"

Yes.
then I guess we can also oust such fictional entities as people's minds and the nature of individual consciousness and responsibility (congratulations - you have just turfed out the entire system of reward and punishment from milk monitors to the legal system)
All. Given that the best understanding we have of the workings of the physical world (including the hardware of the brain - which has the side effect of a self referential feedback mechanism called consciousness)
sorry - that's not empirical
is that it is largely the result of inter and intra atomic interactions.
are we talking science or science-fiction?
"There are more things in heaven and earth, Horatio, Than are dreamt of in your philosophy."

Theists would use this to attack non-believers (rationalists) but actually it reads like a pretty good description of what science propounds. All of the religious philosophy in the history of humanity has yielded nothing but a generally flawed set of "insights" into humanity and the cosmos.
given that empiricism has these four fundamental flaws

---imperfect senses... we cannot hear sounds below 20Hz, or alternatively we can only manufacture machines that operate within certain thresholds of "reality"
---tendency to make mistakes ... perceive a rope as a snake
--- tendency to fall in to illusion ....seeing a mirage in the desert
----a cheating propensity .... our perception of objectivity is manipulated due to the influence of avaracice, wrath, lust etc

any of the insights of empiricism, particularly those that fall outside of a directly perceived cause or effect, can find a snug spot on the shelf next to Isaac Asimov

which one's specifically have you read?

Read? A second ago you were asking me how many I've met. To prevent future hassle kindly get your thoughts and questions in order then get back to me.

Well, it can generally be understood by looking at the word itself:

"after"... "life".

Not to mention it is the standard definition of afterlife: 'A life or existence believed to follow death'.

Come now lg, you of all people can't really argue against standard definitions now can you?

therefore there is the theoretical foundation that the consciousness is separate from the body

Weee.. use one fantasy to try and lend credence to another fantasy. Keep up the good work :bugeye:

if you keep this up I will have to start talking about high school drop outs again

Where is it's relevance to what I said? Oh wait, you're not into that whole "relevance" thing are you?

precisely

Hmm, now you agree that afterlives are fantasy.

(regardless of how secure it makes you feel in this world)

O.....k :shrug:

(which would definitely make it a nicer place don't you think)

Don't be stupid.

like say, the hope that reality can be discerned by classical empiricism?

Give me a valid alternative.

and of course if you want to start talking of the truth or falsity of any claim, well that happens after practice .....

Indeed. Let me know what happens when you're dead.

-----

The problem is, youre making the same leap of faith that theists are on this issue

Not really, no. If you make a claim that you cannot adequately test, it is fantasy/ imagination. It might ultimately be real, that's not the point - it is simply that an untested/untestable claim has no valid way of making it beyond fantasy status. This goes for gods, heavens and invisible leprechauns.

What we know, and all we know is - people have phenomenal experiences of some sort of state of existance after having died (i.e. no vital signs).

Not really, no - unless you have some kind of magical ability to see at what exact moment in the process of dying that they have these experiences. Furthermore, these experiences can be given to perfectly fine, normal, not dying people and can be shown that they are mere imagination - a product of the brain, not a heavenly realm:

"By deliberately scrambling a person's visual and tactile senses, it is now possible to give them an "out-of-body" experience.

Two procedures – which are the first to imitate an out-of-body experience artificially – use cameras to fool people into thinking they are standing or sitting somewhere else in a room. They provide the strongest proof yet that people only imagine floating out of their bodies during surgery or near-death experiences.

"The brain can trick itself, and when it is trying to interpret sensory information, the image it produces doesn't have to be a real representation," says Henrik Ehrsson, of the Institute of Neurology, University College London, UK, who designed the first experiment....." Journal reference: Science (DOI: 10.1126/science.1142175)

If you would rather assert that it's space fairies, space cities or something else similarly peculiar then that's fine, but the evidence suggests otherwise.

So all you can really say is 'experiences of afterlives exist'.

Not at all. imagination exists, (in those alive and those just about to die).

Then as with the NDE all i can accurately say is that a phenomenal experience has occured and not much else beyond that.

Scientists however can say a lot more beyond that. Oh and they can share their findings, support their findings, and do test after test after test to show that their findings are true. Now there's something.

To one day embrace those who chose to believe/love/obey Him because of the weight/pain borne by those same arms.
So he has arms so he can hug people. ok.

Yes, but not the "things" that pertain to your eternal welfare.
What things then?

To see and hear as you do.
Apparently god has a telepathic link to all humans, so no he clearly doesn't hear as I do.

Not really...a more interesting novelty are those who are blind with their eyes open.
So why does he have eyes? Apparently he is invisible so light would not be hitting his retina. So how does he see with these eyes?

Would god have an appendix?

Snakelord

which one's specifically have you read?

Read? A second ago you were asking me how many I've met. To prevent future hassle kindly get your thoughts and questions in order then get back to me.
what I did say was

I take it you have never enquired into the age of the tons of theistic philosophers one can approach

when it comes to approaching philosophers, particularly in quantities of "tons", most people would assume that deals with the written medium - but anyway, if you are fortunate enough to have "met" such persons, all the better.

So which philosophers have you met and how old were they?

why?

Well, it can generally be understood by looking at the word itself:

"after"... "life".

Not to mention it is the standard definition of afterlife: 'A life or existence believed to follow death'.

Come now lg, you of all people can't really argue against standard definitions now can you?
(to the sound of high school drop out across the world rejoicing)

atom - Greek atomos indivisible, based on a- not + temnein to cut.

so linguistically the word sub-atomic is also an oxymoron

:shrug:

therefore there is the theoretical foundation that the consciousness is separate from the body

Weee.. use one fantasy to try and lend credence to another fantasy. Keep up the good work
If you find the notion of theory as a foundation for knowledge a fantasy, I suggest you take your counter arguments to a day care centre

if you keep this up I will have to start talking about high school drop outs again

Where is it's relevance to what I said? Oh wait, you're not into that whole "relevance" thing are you?
ditto above

precisely

Hmm, now you agree that afterlives are fantasy.
it was more that the line of logic you called to sink my boat just sunk yours

(which would definitely make it a nicer place don't you think)

Don't be stupid.
I'm just suggesting the general direction of your statements

like say, the hope that reality can be discerned by classical empiricism?

Give me a valid alternative.
erm - that’s the point - empiricism is NOT a valid alternative - if you can understand that first, perhaps there might be the scope to talk of alternatives

and of course if you want to start talking of the truth or falsity of any claim, well that happens after practice .....

Indeed. Let me know what happens when you're dead.
yes, thats certainly seems to be the popular methodology of atheists for inquiring into such things

Last edited:
atom - Greek atomos indivisible

Great, we're not talking about atoms. Are you asserting to me that the afterlife comes at a stage other than after life?

If you find the notion of theory as a foundation for knowledge a fantasy

The day you have something to show otherwise get back to me.

erm - that’s the point - empiricism is NOT a valid alternative

O...k, so give me a valid alternative. You clearly have an issue with using the senses so therefore must be espousing that one uses non-sense. It's a good argument :bugeye:

yes, thats certainly seems to be the popular methodology of atheists for inquiring into such things

So, this material world and your life now are the afterlife or will the afterlife come after life?

Snakelord

atom - Greek atomos indivisible

Great, we're not talking about atoms. Are you asserting to me that the afterlife comes at a stage other than after life?
and you called on linguistics specifically to indicate it is not true ... do me a lemon

If you find the notion of theory as a foundation for knowledge a fantasy

The day you have something to show otherwise get back to me.
well looks like you are not the one to discuss anything that is dealt with in university curriculums - perhaps we should discuss star trek

erm - that’s the point - empiricism is NOT a valid alternative

O...k, so give me a valid alternative.
I've been trying for the past 1000 posts - every time you contend its not valid because it doesn't correlate with empiricism
:shrug:
You clearly have an issue with using the senses so therefore must be espousing that one uses non-sense. It's a good argument
or so a person who claims empiricism is valid would no doubt say .....

So, this material world and your life now are the afterlife or will the afterlife come after life?
depends on your consciousness

and you called on linguistics specifically to indicate it is not true ... do me a lemon

I stated that the afterlife must come after life given the very definition of the word. (This is like your ghost arguments in the other thread.. a ghost can't be a living person because it's a dead person by definition). If you now reject your own arguments then fine. Have at it.

well looks like you are not the one to discuss...

:shrug: Seems this is all you can fall back on when you can't support your claims. Do me a lemon.

I've been trying for the past 1000 posts - every time you contend its not valid because it doesn't correlate with empiricism

Really? Show me where you offered an alternative. Maybe I just didn't notice amongst all those personal statements concerning me as opposed to the argument.

Explain.

Snakelord

I stated that the afterlife must come after life given the very definition of the word.
and I stated that sub atoms must not exist given the very definition of the word atom (maybe I was trying to suggest something about linguistics)

well looks like you are not the one to discuss...

Seems this is all you can fall back on when you can't support your claims. Do me a lemon.
the claim was theory plays an important part in practice, and practice plays an important part in values/conclusions - you claim this is not supported?

Really? Show me where you offered an alternative.
perhaps you could show me an example where you don't wind up on concluding its false because it doesn't fall within the folds of empiricism?
Maybe I just didn't notice amongst all those personal statements concerning me as opposed to the argument.
hey, I'm just following your lead

Explain.
basically two types
one views oneself as the enjoyer of this world (this includes atheists and even some theists)
the other views god as the enjoyer of this world

Back