Do atheists indocrinate their children into their belief system?

greenberg's an atheist? WTF?

Anyway, Jan, you'd get more respect if you practiced a bit of intellectual honesty once in a while. As it is, you lie, cheat, and steal, just like every other theist here who's desperately afraid of the simple truth.

I know, you probably can't even see this because I'm on ignore. Whatever.

Myles,

If I claimed that your strawman God existed for real, yeah you would be correct.

You are a sometimes man, in that I will post responses and you don't return them. What's the point?
The only atheist in this forum who has some repect for his fellow human, not treating them like some kind of enemy, because they think differently, whom I have conversed with, is greenberg, and as such he is the only worth talking to, at the moment.
You all need to chill the f__k out. :m: ;)

peace
Jan.

All the evidence I have about you indicates that you believe what you do because you want to or need to.It has nothing to do with strawmen; it's about your inability to debate the topic by responding in a reasonable manner.

As for the rest of your post, it's a cop-out. You know you cannot support your view that the gang-rape described in judges is not really gang-rape, so you are running away,

A German proverb says " No answer is also an answer "

M*W: I converted to Catholicism as an adult with very young children. I raised all four of them as strong Catholics. They're grown now. The two eldest still proclaim christianity even though it's not necessarily Catholicism. My two younger daughters tend to agree with atheism. My two eldest remind me constantly of my journey to hell. My two younger daughters don't believe in hell, especially if that's somewhere I am supposed to go.

Do I regret raising them all in Catholicism... No! They got a great christian education. From their, they were able to make their own decisions about what they chose to believe. My two elder children never go to church, but want to talk about Jesus every chance they get. They know better than to bring that subject up with me, but I have no regrets at all. I think the most educated and aware atheists come out of christianity. However, to teach one's children about atheism from the beginning, might be the best way. Anyhoo, it's never too late to tell them the truth.

M*W's Friendly Atheist Quote (FAQ) of the Day:

"Most religions have merely canonized a few products of ancient ignorance and derangement and passed them down to us though they were primordial truths. This leaves billions of us believing what no sane person could believe on his own." ~ Sam Harris
M*W's Anti-Bitterness Comments (ABCs) of the Day:

"Freedom's just another word for nothing left to lose." ~ Kris Kristofferson, b. 1936 American Actor and Folk Singer

I don't like your quote "it's never too late to tell them the truth" I am a Christian, but I question my beliefs, I don't accept things at face value. I entered a short period of near-atheism, but I still came back to God. I made this decision on my own, and if I wanted to be an atheist, I'd tell my mom, and she'd stop taking me to church. I don't like many of your stereotypes (and many other atheists') about the intelectual laziness of Christians, or how we are 'brainwashed.' I am neither, I'm 13 and I love to learn, I think about everything I know until I understand it completely. (or I get pissed and forget it) You can't call me intelectually lazy, I've thought the entire thing over many times. Besides, I believe in a Creator, you (saying you believe in evolution) believe that, for some strange reason, that all matter was once in an infetesimal speck, then, for some strange reason, explodes and creates the Universe. Then, water appears on our Earth, made from floating rocks, and this, for some strange reason, makes carbon molecules line up in amino acids, and those amino acids form cells, that grow to living beings. These living beings somehow become intellegent, and grow legs, and crawl out of the ocean. And now, you're here. Does that make much more sense?

Sometimes that enquiry can be used as a diversion, to waste time, by those who have no regard for God or religion, other than to denigrate it. They are anti-God/theist.

Agreed. But I wouldn't venture to judge for others when they do that, only for myself.

For someone who grew up within Christianity, this is a perfectly reasonable line of inquiry.

But not for someone who has an intense disliking for it.

I agree, of course. Perhaps I am taking my plea for compassion too far. But when I look at many adamant atheists, it seems that merely speaking about God to them is like pouring salt onto their open wounds, or that they are like lepers who in the agony of their pain cauterize their skin and seek those who would do it for them. It's irrational behavior, but from the perspective of the leper, it makes sense.

So if they both say God is the One Supreme Original Cause, then why think it refers to a different being? Why not think it is the one God, pertaining to a different time, place and circumstance?

I haven't thought about it this way much.
Of course what you are saying makes sense.
But I am after all, a Westerner brought up to think in different terms, certainly not to think in terms of rebirth, many lifetimes, many cycles, many planes of existence. - Not that I advocate the Western position, I'm just explaining my first reaction.

Here is a good example of how not just anything can be taught to just anyone: In some Buddhist traditions, practitioners can take the vow to not teach emptiness to the untrained. The topic of emptiness and proper understanding of it is deemed as so important in those traditions that a specific vow exists about it. Even though emptiness is one of the central topics in Buddhism.

I don't understand what you mean.
Perhaps if you quickly explain "emptiness", I may get more of an overall idea of your point.

There are many explanations for what "emptiness" means. One that might be most pertinent here is this - "I am not my thoughts, nor my feelings, nor my words, nor my body, nor my actions". Normally, people identify with their thoughts etc., thinking "This is who I am". But according to some karmic doctrines (like in Buddhism), such identification is misleading, wrong. To understand this, one must be prepared to do so; because in untrained people, being taught emptiness can lead them to hold nihilistic and other harmful views, and then to harmful actions. Out of concern for preventing unncecessary suffering, there is the notion that the topic of emptiness must be handled with care.

I am thinking that some teachings about God are in this manner similar - an untrained person will be prone to misunderstand them and react with negativity, whereby this negativity does not necessarily have something to do with God.
For example, if I just read the Bible, anywhere, great anger arises in me. I couldn't say whether it is anger against God, or against Christianity, or what - it's just an intense negative emotion that overwhelms me.

Now, for some theists, this doesn't matter, and they insist that I keep studying the Bible despite the anger. But it matters to me. I don't want to be angry, and I know all too well that when I am angry, I can't think straight; when I am angry, I can't discern what would be for my benefit and the benefit of others.
Some kind of "desensitization therapy" where I would deliberately expose myself to the Bible with the intent to desensitize myself and not get angry anymore has so far lead to enormous stress, it didn't seem to be worth it.

Do you think there are Christians who say the same thing, and behave accordingly? If yes, what does that tell you?

There might be such Christians. I just haven't met any yet.

Then look into other philosophy, unless you think western philosophy is the dog's-bollocks (the best/only one).

I am looking into other philosophies. But I have a lot of mental baggage, and this tends to react meanly when met with anything new or poked at. So I constantly need to work on my attitude to my spiritual search as far as other philosophies and dealing with my baggage are concerned, and I at the same time somehow provide myself with enough peace of mind to be able to do that in the first place. Frankly, it's tedious.

You have no idea, but you have decided that you are not a theist, but an atheist in some capacity. Is this position definate, and if so, why?

I said elsewhere that the most adequate description of my state would be that I neither believe nor disbelieve in God, and this isn't the same as the weak agnostic's "I don't know" or the strong agnostic's "It can't be known". For me, the terms "I", "believing" and "God" are so multi-facetted, undefined or feel so foreign in my mind that saying either "I believe in God" or "I don't believe in God" simply don't seem to apply.

For some practical purposes, by some theists and by some atheists, I might be called "atheist", although I don't identify with that label.

Sometimes, I think I was taught emptiness to soon, this is why I am now left with so much confusion. Namely, Western philosophical relativism, constructivism and deconstructivism -which I have a long-standing background in- do teach a form of emptiness.

Fabio4all:

I am neither, I'm 13 and I love to learn, I think about everything I know until I understand it completely. (or I get pissed and forget it) You can't call me intelectually lazy, I've thought the entire thing over many times.

This is all well and good, but from the rest of your post it looks like you still have a lot of science to learn.

Besides, I believe in a Creator, you (saying you believe in evolution) believe that, for some strange reason, that all matter was once in an infetesimal speck, then, for some strange reason, explodes and creates the Universe.

The start of the universe has nothing to do with evolution. You say "for some strange reason", which implies that you don't actually know why people believe in the big bang, or why that infinitesimal speck exploded.

What you need to realise is that you not knowing something doesn't mean that nobody knows it. The big bang theory isn't something some physicist just dreamt up on a Sunday stroll in the park one day. Physicists believe in the big bang theory because it is supported by mountains of evidence, from astrophysics to particle physics. Moreover, they have a good idea why the universe "exploded" from a speck, and they're working on how the speck got there in the first place.

In contrast, your alternative "explanation" is just "God did it". Which is just another way of saying "I don't know how it could have happened, so God seems like the only alternative in my limited state of knowledge."

Then, water appears on our Earth, made from floating rocks, and this, for some strange reason, makes carbon molecules line up in amino acids, and those amino acids form cells, that grow to living beings.

There's that phrase again: "for some strange reason". I can only assume you don't know much chemistry or biology, and probably not much about the theory of evolution. All of these fields of science provide the "strange reasons" you are currently ignorant of.

These living beings somehow become intellegent, and grow legs, and crawl out of the ocean. And now, you're here. Does that make much more sense?

Saying "God did it" requires a lot less thought and study and understanding than taking the scientific path, so I'm not surprised that it "makes much more sense" to the uneducated (no offence).

But please consider the possibility that you just might not know all there is to know to account for the existence of life, the universe and everything. Maybe there is some science you're just not even aware of that could answer some of the questions that you are currently putting down to God.

Anyway, Jan, you'd get more respect if you practiced a bit of intellectual honesty once in a while. As it is, you lie, cheat, and steal, just like every other theist here who's desperately afraid of the simple truth.

Spoken like a true fire and brimstone Christian.

Myles,

All the evidence I have about you indicates that you believe what you do because you want to or need to.

What a lame analasys.
Who does something that they don't want, or need, to do?
You can do better than that, surely.

It has nothing to do with strawmen; it's about your inability to debate the topic by responding in a reasonable manner.

Where have I been unreasonable?

As for the rest of your post, it's a cop-out. You know you cannot support your view that the gang-rape described in judges is not really gang-rape, so you are running away,

What does this intrution have to do with the rest of my post?

You are a sometimes man, in that I will post responses and you don't return them. What's the point?
The only atheist in this forum who has some repect for his fellow human, not treating them like some kind of enemy, because they think differently, whom I have conversed with, is greenberg, and as such he is the only worth talking to, at the moment.
You all need to chill the f__k out

A German proverb says " No answer is also an answer "

:shrug:

Jan.

Myles,

What a lame analasys.

Jan.

Oh but he is right.

The only thing stopping me from being just like you is that I don't want or need to.

Spoken like a true fire and brimstone Christian.

No, fire and brimstone Christian are liars and cheats. They will bend the truth in a vain attempt to support their stupid beliefs.

I notice you regard some atheists as aggressive. Not so, you don't seem to understand what it means to have the courage of one's convictions.

Last edited:
Myles,

What a lame analasys.

Where have I been unreasonable?

What does this intrution have to do with the rest of my post?

:shrug:

Jan.

Let's just stick to one point. I regard your defence of gang-rape, as described in Judges, as unreasonable.

You completely denied that it was rape, in the first instance
Then you suggested that standards may have been different in biblical times, such that what we regard as rape today was not so regarded then.
You finally argued that it was God's way of showing a man's dominion over woman.

I regard your answers as unreasonable, i.e., bereft of reason, because you will put any interpretation on that passage other than ac
cept that it may be literally true. You have made your minds up to believe the bible and, in so doing, have painted yourself into a corner. Whatever nonsense one draws to your attention, you have left yourself no choice but to defend it. Your mind is closed and making all the clever little remarks you do and sniping at others will not change that.

Myles,

I regard your defence of gang-rape, as described in Judges, as unreasonable.

You completely denied that it was rape, in the first instance

It's hard to deny it was rape when, as harsh as the act sounded, there was no evidence within the scripture to say rape had taken place.
Is there anywhere within the scripture where the women protested? Maybe I missed it
The closest thing to rape mentioned, AFAICS, was "abuse", which is an english translation of the hebrew word 'alal. The definitions of this word does not mention, abduction, taken by force, unlawful activety, or rape.

to act severely, deal with severely, make a fool of someone
to be severely dealt with, to busy oneself, divert oneself, deal wantonly, deal ruthlessly, abuse (by thrusting through), to practise practices, thrust forth (in wickedness) to glean

Then you suggested that standards may have been different in biblical times, such that what we regard as rape today was not so regarded then.
You finally argued that it was God's way of showing a man's dominion over woman.

I regard your answers as unreasonable, i.e., bereft of reason, because you will put any interpretation on that passage other than ac
cept that it may be literally true.

Where does it say they were gang-raped, or that the men acted outside of their culture, or laws?

Jan.

Myles,

It's hard to deny it was rape when, as harsh as the act sounded, there was no evidence within the scripture to say rape had taken place.
Is there anywhere within the scripture where the women protested? Maybe I missed it
The closest thing to rape mentioned, AFAICS, was "abuse", which is an english translation of the hebrew word 'alal. The definitions of this word does not mention, abduction, taken by force, unlawful activety, or rape.

to act severely, deal with severely, make a fool of someone
to be severely dealt with, to busy oneself, divert oneself, deal wantonly, deal ruthlessly, abuse (by thrusting through), to practise practices, thrust forth (in wickedness) to glean

Where does it say they were gang-raped, or that the men acted outside of their culture, or laws?

Jan.

First let me summarize the story- Judges 19-22-29

A man has received a visitor. Men from the vllage come to his door and demand that he hand over his male guest, The man replies " here are my virgin daughter and his concubine. Do with them what seems good to you, but against this man do not do such VILE a thing.The concubine is used all night by the men and is found dead on the host's doorstep in the morning. The guest takes her home, cuts her body into twelve pieces and sends one piece to each of the tribes of Israel.

What do you think men wanted ?

When the host refers to "such a vile thing", to what is he referring ?

What was the most likely cause of the concubine's death ?

What purpose did it serve to send a piece of her body to each of the twelve tribes ?

My interpretation is that the woman was gang -raped and died as a result. Why do you insist on putting a positive spin on what seems to be a clear, unambiguous passage ?

I rest my case

First let me summarize the story- Judges 19-22-29

A man has received a visitor. Men from the vllage come to his door and demand that he hand over his male guest, The man replies " here are my virgin daughter and his concubine. Do with them what seems good to you, but against this man do not do such VILE a thing.The concubine is used all night by the men and is found dead on the host's doorstep in the morning. The guest takes her home, cuts her body into twelve pieces and sends one piece to each of the tribes of Israel.

What do you think men wanted ?

When the host refers to "such a vile thing", to what is he referring ?

What was the most likely cause of the concubine's death ?

What purpose did it serve to send a piece of her body to each of the twelve tribes ?

My interpretation is that the woman was gang -raped and died as a result. Why do you insist on putting a positive spin on what seems to be a clear, unambiguous passage ?

I rest my case

What do you mean by "positive spin"?

Jan.

Your comments on this story were an attempt to put it in a good light. Spin as associated with politicians.

I see what you're trying to do, and it is very underhanded, and nasty at heart.
You are assuming that they were gang-raped, but you know the reality of convicting someone of rape, there has to be evidence beyond reasonable doubt. And on the basis of that text, there is no convincing evidence of rape.
That is the point of my discussion with you, not that I am defending any acts.
So don't try and turn this into a religious/theist issue.

Jan.

Wrong. Without belief in god, the supernatural, rituals, worship, it's not a religion. It's what's called being normal.

Religion is a set of beliefs that explain what life is all about, who we are, and the most important things that human beings should spend their time doing. For example, some think that the material world is all there is, that we are here by accident and when we die we just rot, and therefore the important thing is to choose to do what makes you happy and not let others impose their beliefs on you. Notice that though this is not an explicit, "organized" religion, it contains a master narrative, an account about the meaning of life along with a recommendation for how to live based on that account of things.

Some call this a "worldview" while others call it a "narrative identity". In either case it is a set of faith assumptions about the nature of things. It is an implicit religion.

I see what you're trying to do, and it is very underhanded, and nasty at heart.
You are assuming that they were gang-raped, but you know the reality of convicting someone of rape, there has to be evidence beyond reasonable doubt. And on the basis of that text, there is no convincing evidence of rape.
That is the point of my discussion with you, not that I am defending any acts.
So don't try and turn this into a religious/theist issue.

Jan.

Stop twisting and turning. Enlighten us with your understanding of that text and, isn so doing, tell us your interpretation of VILE as well as answering the other questions I put to you.

I was not aware that our judicial system was used by the Ancient Hebrews.

"Don't try and turn this into a religious/theist issue " How can I avoid doing so when I am quoting the Bible ?

You can, of course, refuse to answer on the grounds that you will make religion seem even more stupid than it already is.

Last edited:
Back