Do atheists indocrinate their children into their belief system?

Right, but again, the term itself is loaded. "Atheist" sounds like "nazi" to some people. And it describes a position which is defined as a negative. I can't think of another such term.

You can skip the label and be conversational. "I don't believe in God."

Non-theist is used on occasion. This comes off milder for whatever reason even though it means the same thing as atheist.

Atheist comes off as a 'member of a specific' group type label, which leads to certain misunderstandings. I just began to wonder if we give ourselves labels in other cases for things we are not.

I'm a non-diabetic.
I guess vegetarian is a kind of non-word. A non-carnivore. This is also often taken as an aggressive stance by meat eaters.

Agreed. It's not that I hate the label so much as I don't understand the point of having it. Clearly, it can be used against me. I don't really see how it can do me any good.

Agreed. It's not that I hate the label so much as I don't understand the point of having it. Clearly, it can be used against me. I don't really see how it can do me any good.

Yes, I think it is misleading except in cases where one does want to take on believers in some way. I am not saying that everyone who lablels themselves and atheist is doing this - and some of these people get labeled by theists - but I think it is problematic. Mix in the fact that there are people who call themselves atheists who believe there is no God and the problems increase for those who simply do not believe.

I guess atheist comes up when grouping different people together(ie Christian, Jewish,athiest). Vegetarian is another group of people.

Even this is problematic.

If I am talking to Christians or certain others, I usually say that I don't believe in God.

But to adequately describe my stance on God, I'd have to say that I neither believe nor not believe in God.

As you can imagine, this causes many people to look at me strangely.

I really don't know how to classify myself as far as belief in God is concerned.

Neither do I believe in Spinoza's God, nor do I not believe in Spinoza's God.

Just out of interest, do you believe that there is no god when you say you are an atheist or that you merely do not have a belief in deities?

I didn't realise until recently how broad the term atheism is. Before discovering this I often thought that atheist had a belief system as such, since I thought that all atheists believed that there was definitely not a god. But as wikipedia says: there is no one ideology or set of behaviors to which all atheists adhere. So therefore I'd say a belief system in general is not true, but if someone spoke of the strong atheists as having a belief system then they may be closer to the truth.

This question has been flogged to death on other threads, q.v.

I simply have no reason to believe in god, if by that is meant a being with the attribites attributed to it in so-called holy books. My reason rebels against such an idea. I do not rule anything out so, it's possible that some entity created the universe but it's equally proibable that the universe came into existence in other ways or that it always existed. We do not know so I think that is all there is to say at present.

Even this is problematic.

If I am talking to Christians or certain others, I usually say that I don't believe in God.

But to adequately describe my stance on God, I'd have to say that I neither believe nor not believe in God.

As you can imagine, this causes many people to look at me strangely.

I really don't know how to classify myself as far as belief in God is concerned.

Classify yourself like me by saying that nobody knows at present. The question remains to be answered, assuming it is possible to do so.

People seem obsessed with difference between "weak atheism" and "strong atheism." Functionally, there isn't a difference.

I think atheism itself is a stupid word which lends itself to these moronic arguments. I don't believe in astrology, ghosts, unicorns, santa, or monsters under the bed, either. I don't have a special word for any of those disbeliefs that I feel the need to quibble over.

Well put. The problem in addressing a religious mindset is that it cannot understand that one can live without dogma.

First and foremost, doubts about which God is the "right one".
That's not doubt, that's tactics.

It doesn't look like tactics from my perspective.

For one, how is one to know that God is the same person/personality in all the scriptures?

Because the same essential qualities which can only be attributed to God, the Supreme Original Cause, is present in all the scriptures. At least the ones readily available to us.

Would you say that as long as a scripture says that God is the Supreme Original Cause, that scripture is valid, regardless of what else it might say about God?

You're taking it out of context. Any scripture you can get i.e. bible, qur'an, BG, all give account of these essential qualities belonging to a single personality, commonly known as God. One does not need to have a positive outlook to understand this, one only need to be able to read and understand at a basic level. Whether one believes or not, is an entirely different matter.

Perhaps many people are not able to understand things not even on a basic level.

I would be weary of someone claiming to know the (absolute) truth.

So would many other people. But this doesn't seem to bother absolutists.
Why this matters: If someone really knows the absolute truth, then one would be wise to listen to them, no? But if one doesn't know the absolute truth, then one cannot assess whether someone else knows the absolute truth or not.
So what is an unenglihtened person supposed to do when faced with people who declare to know the absolute truth? One could only follow them if in blind faith.

But one thing is for sure we can all recognise truth, whether we are educated or not.

I don't know about that.

I can't imagine what "superior knowledge" is?

Knowing what The Truth is, the content of The Truth.
For example, I've heard people claim that God's name is Jehovah, and no other, or that in order to obtain salvation, one must believe in Jesus, and that otherwise, salvation is impossible.
Someone making such claims surely must be omniscient, lying or lucky.

Surely you can find out, now that you're grown up, whether they were telling the truth per Gods' decree, by pitting their actions against the actions of Jesus, the object of their religiousness.

This is really tricky. Because any criticism I might come up with -even if I'd support it with a Bible quote- those people would turn against me and beat it down with another Bible quote. And the same happens now in my mind. So when, for example, I think of a Christian who betrayed me or hurt me, my first reaction is "I should first look at the beam in my own eye". Basically, no matter what they have done, they can claim to be exonerated by pointing out that I have faults. Bottomline, it all ends up looking like they have done nothing wrong and that I was wrong to find fault in the first place.

I really find this line of inquiry hopeless. It seems that if I were to decide whether those people acted in line with God's decree or not, I would first need to believe in God and obtain the qualifications required to do so. And this seems just too much to do just for the sake of being able to deal with the Christians in my life.

Lately, I've been thinking more in terms of a Buddhist outlook on the whole thing, thinking it was their karma to act the way they did, and that their actions ultimately don't concern me, and that I do not need to see things their way in order to have peace of mind in regards to them.
- Of course, such an outlook is quite radical here in my life and in my state of mind.

Are you evil, delusional, or in denial, for real?
A question for you personally to answer.

This is a difficult question.

I am inclined to answer Yes. But in order to do so, I would need to believe I have a self and this self has inherent properties like "evil", "delusional", "in denial" - and I am not sure whether I have such a self or whether the self has such properties or not. So I might as well answer No.
- This has been perplexing me for a long time.

People seem obsessed with difference between "weak atheism" and "strong atheism." Functionally, there isn't a difference.

I think atheism itself is a stupid word which lends itself to these moronic arguments. I don't believe in astrology, ghosts, unicorns, santa, or monsters under the bed, either. I don't have a special word for any of those disbeliefs that I feel the need to quibble over.

I agree with Myles, well put.

123423_m.gif

Do atheists give their children exposure to theism?

Offer them the choice to believe in God?

Any athiests with theist children here?

I would not ensure exposure to theism neither would I restrict it.

A child asks: 'Where did I come from?'

What do you answer?
M*W: You tell them the truth according to their age or reasoning ability. When a 5 year-old asks where he came from, all he might want to know is which city and state his family lived at the time he was born.

If he asks how babies are made, a simplistic answer with maybe a simple anatomy lesson might do.

Any older child probably has already heard street talk, and all he's doing is trying to get you to confirm or deny what he's heard. You know your child better than anyone else, so you would have to use your judgment about what you tell them and when.

I knew a 13 year-old boy who's mother told him right from the start that he came from Jesus! This child was so emotionally immature as well as curious about that bizarre idea, that he started acting out sexually like lifting girl's skirts at school, and playing with himself in front of his mother who still bathed him and was in complete denial of the truth. This is not what I would call a normal child, but the mother only made it worse.

The truth is easier for a child to deal with.

M*W's Friendly Atheist Quote (FAQ) of the Day:

"The truths of religion are never so well understood as by those who have lost the power of reasoning." ~ Voltaire

M*W's Anti-Bitterness Comments (ABCs) of the Day:

"Whoever retains the natural curiosity of childhood is never bored or dull." ~ Anonymous

jan said:
But accurate quoting and careful attention to other people's arguments is something a particular kind of theist - your kind, which you object to having labeled - finds difficult, for some reason.

Thank you. I'll print that section out, blow it up, and hang it on my wall.
I'd rather you paid attention to your continual illustration of it. Such as:

jan said:
Your contribution heavily included how intelligent atheist children (?) are compared to their theist counterparts, in matters containing religion and scripture.
Among your several and varied misrepresentations of my posts and deflections of my arguments, that one stands out as flagrant. You will please acknowledge that I have made no statements at all - let alone "heavily included" anything - about the relative intelligence of "atheist children" or "theist children" or any other kind of children.

Thank you in advance.
superluminal said:
I thought we settled this. We all indoctrinate our children to one degree or another. I don't see what's so amazing about this. The difference between theists and atheists is that theists ask their children to believe, while atheists ask their children to think. I don't see what's so difficult about this.
If you allow "indoctination" to expand over all forms of teaching and learning, you will regret it, I think.

There is no doctrine of atheism. There are many religious and ideological doctrines that are atheistic, but they conflict, and not all (or even most, probably) atheists follow even one of them.

Back