Do atheists indocrinate their children into their belief system?

SnakeLord,

Why is that?

Because you're playing games.

I need a scriptoral reference to be able to ask you the question of what prohibits there being multiple gods that have always existed? Curious.

Then I will know where you're coming from.

Anyway, you'll find if you read the bible that it implies various god entities, (unless of course yhwh just suffers from some slight personality issues). This can be seen with the "let us create...", "let us go down...", "mankind has become like one of us.." and so on. It is quite apparent from the bible that there are multiple god entities.

Why do you think these entities are the same as God, the cause of all causes?

Out of further interest, yahweh is referred to as 'lord' which - incase you weren't aware - denotes rank among a group of entities. The word 'lord' would be redundant unless there were many.

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

What do you think that means?

Furthermore we can see from the bible that yahweh cannot be the only eternal entity. Indeed Melchizedek is described as having no beginning and no end. That is at least 2 dinstinctly separate eternal entities right there. No, Melchizedek isn't described as a god, but he's certainly as old as yahweh is, (being eternal). Therefore, it stands that you have (at least) 2 eternal entities, 1 of which created the universe.

According to Bhagavad Gita;

BG 2.12: Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you, nor all these kings; nor in the future shall any of us cease to be.

BG 2.17: That which pervades the entire body you should know to be indestructible. No one is able to destroy that imperishable soul.

BG 2.20: For the soul there is neither birth nor death at any time. He has not come into being, does not come into being, and will not come into being. He is unborn, eternal, ever-existing and primeval. He is not slain when the body is slain.

It would appear we are all eternal, in our true nature. This is why religion makes complete sense.

If you would like to go against that and claim that there can't be more than one, (as you have claimed), then I think it's well about time you provided something of substance.

You have no regard for religion, or the subject of God, and to add to that, you know nothing about it. But still you want to beat them down with your lame arguments. This is why I can't be bothered to discuss it with you.

Jan.

Because you're playing games.

Not in the slightest. I found it a very serious and pertinent question. I've relented and said that ok, there can be only one. Which one is it? Do you not understand the question? Is it too difficult for you? Do you realise the problem you're going to have if you answer it? Kindly don't try and make your inability look like my fault.

Then I will know where you're coming from.

Alas you haven't really answered the question. Why would I need a scriptoral reference?

Why do you think these entities are the same as God, the cause of all causes?

It's unlikely you turn to your pet dog and say "my son has just become like one of us". The very way it is structured shows that this entity is talking to others of his kind. There is more to come..

In the beginning God created the heaven and the earth.

What do you think that means?

I think it means you've spent too long reading English versions. In it's original language it uses "elohim", which is plural - meaning gods.

gods created the heaven and earth and then had a chat with each other saying, "Let us make man in our image.."

BG 2.12: Never was there a time when I did not exist, nor you

Then, as there was never a time when I did not exist, there can have been no god that created me. Therefore your entire argument falls head first down the pooper. There could be no cause of all causes because I have always been. Oh well, ta ta.

You have no regard for religion, or the subject of God, and to add to that, you know nothing about it.

Bwahaha.. c'mon, even you can do better than that. :bugeye:

Last edited:
Or rather which definition you choose to hold higher than the others.

True.

But it is pointless to use a word without reference to its context.
The word "God" comes up first and foremost in religious scriptures.

To take a word -any word- out of its context and presume it still can have meaning, is nonsense.

True.

But it is pointless to use a word without reference to its context.
The word "God" comes up first and foremost in religious scriptures.

To take a word -any word- out of its context and presume it still can have meaning, is nonsense.

Banana

The word would have meant nothing to you if you were not familiar with them (their color, taste, smell, use) and wouldn't know them by this name.

To a Viking, "banana" wouldn't mean anything.

Is that a banana or are you just glad to see me?

Why are you talking about fruit? (goes to the dictionary. still lost....)

"He's just a dictator in a banana republic."

heard in an interview in the news. So it's a country that grows bananas, he thinks, why did the man say the word with such derision. Is there something immoral about bananas as a fruit. I don't understand.

Two models are talking. One grabs the flesh at her hip.

"time for a banana," she says.
The third party cannot understand why the other model looks concerned at this point. A banana seeming a healthy food choice. But banana was code in this instance for laxative, being a mild one itself.

After a stand up comediennne gets off stage to great applause the club owner turns to the agent and says

'Our top banana.' (those who remember burlesque will get this one)

"what happened when you told Sam, Mary was seeing someone else?"

"he went bananas'

(another search of the dictionary. Does this mean he flew to Honduras? To the Korean stand?)

Let alone overheard conversations between primatologists, botanists or even, for example, crime scene technologists - I'll let people be creative here themselves - where use of the sound banana could have very specific radically context bound uses and would mean something quite other than eavesdroppers might realize.

Or how about 'banana' as an adjective.

Imagine the misunderstandings possible around 'banana boat'.

Last edited:
Superluminal,

god. Definition:

1. supernatural being: one of a group of supernatural male beings in some religions, each of which is worshiped as the personification or controller of some aspect of the universe
Thor, the Norse god of thunder

2. figure or image: a representation of a god, used as an object of worship
the little bronze god standing in a niche above the altar

3. something that dominates: something that is so important that it takes over somebody's life ( informal )
worshiping the false god of fame

4. somebody admired: a man who is widely admired or imitated ( informal )
He was one of the rock music gods of the early Seventies.

GodDefinition:

supreme being: the being believed in monotheistic religions such as Judaism, Islam, and Christianity to be the all-powerful all-knowing creator of the universe, worshiped as the only god

Jan.

Superluminal,

god. Definition:

1. supernatural being: one of a group of supernatural male beings in some religions, each of which is worshiped as the personification or controller of some aspect of the universe
Thor, the Norse god of thunder

2. figure or image: a representation of a god, used as an object of worship
the little bronze god standing in a niche above the altar

3. something that dominates: something that is so important that it takes over somebody's life ( informal )
worshiping the false god of fame

4. somebody admired: a man who is widely admired or imitated ( informal )
He was one of the rock music gods of the early Seventies.

GodDefinition:

supreme being: the being believed in monotheistic religions such as Judaism, Islam, and Christianity to be the all-powerful all-knowing creator of the universe, worshiped as the only god

Jan.
Hey thanks. I couldn't find a dictionary anywhere online or on my bookshelves.

I only posted a reply to what you said you didn't say. I showed you to be either a liar or evasive. End of story.

superluminal,

I only posted a reply to what you said you didn't say. I showed you to be either a liar or evasive. End of story.

you said_

"God is a person now. And all gods are the same person. Right. Delusion du jour anyone?"

My original discourse with spidergoat went_

spidergoat said:
If there can be one God, there can be many.

jan said:
But they are all the same person, God.[/b

By the definition of “God”, there cannot be anymore than one.
Whether you believe in God, or not, doesn’t change that, and neither does calling me deluded.

Now it's end of story.

Jan.

By the definition of “God”, there cannot be any more than one. Whether you believe in God, or not, doesn’t change that, and neither does calling me deluded.
"God," with a capital G, is conventionally defined as the one supreme being. It is a proper noun: that being's name. With a lower-case g, "god" is defined as any supernatural being deemed worthy of human worship, especially one who controls part of reality. Any free online dictionary such as Merriam-Webster.com will clarify this.

However, this distinction is often lost on the unchurched. Those who dismiss supernatural creatures as figments of the imagination don't see much significance in the subtle distinction between a mythology in which several of them compete for power, and one in which there is only one. Furthermore, they are loth to pay the respect to that myth that is inherent in the capital letter.

As a result there is confusion in communication between the outsider to religion and the insider. The one uses the word "god" in the same breath as "leprechaun" and "tooth fairy," while to the other it represents one of the key concepts in his life. It is so important that if he believes only in "The One" with a capital G, he may occasionally erupt into orgies of genocide against those who believe in many with small g's.

This confusion is compounded by orthographical differences among languages. In German all nouns are capitalized, so "Gott" as a name not only sounds the same but looks the same as "ein Gott" as a noun. Many languages don't even have two sets of upper- and lower-case letters to make the distinction.

If we were having this discussion orally, Jan could not rely on the spelling of "God" versus "god" to make her point. She would have to compose her sentences differently. The same would be true if she were writing in German, Chinese or Cherokee.

--Linguistics Moderator

The word would have meant nothing to you if you were not familiar with them (their color, taste, smell, use) and wouldn't know them by this name.

To a Viking, "banana" wouldn't mean anything.

But I'm not a Viking. The point is that I have useds it in none of the contexts available to me. Youi understood what I meant even though I did not contextualize banana. You did that.

But I'm not a Viking. The point is that I have useds it in none of the contexts available to me. Youi understood what I meant even though I did not contextualize banana. You did that.

You did contextualize "banana": you posted it when quoting my post, and the broader context of it all is our communication at this forum.

and in this context it was a very abstract banana and not a specific existing one. It could have been green, bruised, ripe, large, small, ecological/organic, plastic, without its peel...

We can't be sure you each imagined 'something' with all the same qualities.

Why is this thread still going? it not like it is still talking about raising children atheist.

Back