Do atheists indocrinate their children into their belief system?

SAM said:
you do realise I was responding tongue-in-cheek?
Sure. Do you realise that you were dodging a real question, and a fairly difficult one ?

geoff said:
Or, also in short:

If it's indoctrination, it's about the same all around.
Not exactly. There's the presence of a particular kind of belief system, vs its non-presence, to deal with. The situation is not symmetrical.

Simple attempts to induce rejection of a belief, accompanied by whatever temperament of attempter, don't necessarily imply indoctrination of anything equivalent in its place.

Fair enough.

Does it?

Just this: that a pantomime of intolerance presented in a mirror offends only those who have no understanding of the actual state of that which the mirror is meant to illustrate.

Or, more directly: yes, I see what you're trying to do, and I already know all about the errors of religion too, thanks.

Or: this truth that hurts only hurts if I'm not already aware of it.

Not my mother's, but primarily Catholicism, naturally. I think the distribution of extremity in the presentation of religion by theist parents closely resembles that among atheist parents, and for the same reason, ranging from tacit disapproval and mockery to outright explosive intolerance.

Or, also in short:

If it's indoctrination, it's about the same all around.

Geoff

So that's the thanks I get for explaining how a typical atheist brings up his children. As it says in our bible: " Ye shall bring up your children in the fear and love of nothing"

Is it such a terrible crime to tella Sam what she wants to hear.

As for the mirror, isn't religion all about smoke and mirrors ?

And most non-belief in most Gods is very easily falsifiable - mine in the Calvinist fundie Christian monodeity, for example, would be falsified simply by the appearance of exact, accurate information about next year's weather delivered in God's voice for me to transcribe into a notebook and verify.

There is no way to control/test that, so it is not scientifically falsifiable.

S.A.M. said:
we need a sarcasm enoticon.

I thought these could be used for that, :rolleyes:;)

I use this as well: :thumbsup:

SAM,

Not sure if I agree with that. If they are overtly abusive, there should be some intervention.
The subject is indoctrination not abuse. Matters of law and community accepted behavior is a different topic that I was not addressing.

My perspective is that how people choose to raise their children is their own affair even though I might disagree I’m not about to impose my values on others.

Q,

And, if it was found the data supported that your points corresponded to indoctrination, that supported a form of child abuse, would you be compelled to respond or act?
In which case you have changed the subject away from indoctrination to abuse and that is a different topic I was not addressing.

If the data supported that childhood indoctrination would negatively affect a person later on in life, would you be compelled to respond or act?
That would be the choice the parents had made. The data should be shown to the parents to make the choice to change otherwise it is not my place to interfere in the lives of others.

As you can see, a link can be drawn between those two points you made and a form of child abuse. Is it in our best interests to explore this matter or simply dismiss it as freedom?
Abuse is a different issue. If the action is against the law or community accepted behavior then action should result.

Have we not in the past discovered a number of issues that have resulted in child abuse? Did we do anything about it?

Of course, by responding or acting, one could simply bring public awareness to the subject for formal inquiry, for example.
If the issue is borderline who has the right to make the judgment. What one community accepts as abuse another might well see that as acceptable and necessary. Unless the activity directly and negatively affects me then I would remain neutral.

Sure. Do you realise that you were dodging a real question, and a fairly difficult one ?

This one?
Do you think it's child abuse if some child in India isn't introduced to Slavic paganism or Aztec blood rituals? ”

I don't. Because my parents would probably never have heard of them, but as they ensured I was exposed to all the ones they were aware of, I've done everything from attend the local fisherwomans daughters wedding, to the hob nob with "foreigners"

There was never in our home, a separation based on religion, it was "natural" to cook kosher for Jews, vegetarian for Hindus and serve alcohol to those who were inclined to take it.

Its how they eat, was the response. Why? Religion.
Thats something every Indian understands probably from birth.

I received my first "exposure" to religion after the age of 7 when I began to learn it in school. Religion at home was never philosophical and as is common in India was more routine than burdensome. Which meant we had visitors on Eid, Christmas and Diwali because we had an open house for friends.

My parents were believers in opening minds, not closing them, if they were aware of Slavic or Aztec blood rituals they would surely have exposed us to them.

I was of course luckier than many others, but in general, when I travel around India, this is the attitude I come across: If you give respect, you will get it.

Do any of these Americans ever ponder on US policies worldwide and especially in the Middle East and Iran?
Hey, I'm not defending those opinions, I'm just responding to the question about whether the average American fears Muslims. The range of negative emotions toward them by some Americans is so broad that the word "hatred" is not entirely hyberbolic. But to attempt to answer your question, I suspect that most of those are the Americans who don't think too hard about international affairs (or anything else "intellectual") because to do so causes great pain between their ears. In fact in my observation they are > 90% Christians and < 1% atheists.
Why not first determine whether or not blind faith belief systems are of any value before parading them in front of children?
Whether the belief systems themselves are of any value is not the issue. It is whether the study of these belief systems has value, and I think the obvious answer is yes.

The belief that the initiation of force is ever an acceptable way to resolve a dispute is just as wrong as religion--no wait it is far wronger since it violates the First Rule Of Civilization and religion does not. Yet we assume that exposing children to the horrors of war helps them grow up to reject it and all the people who stand for it.
It would be preferable to not offer faith based belief systems to children at all. What we are doing is offering our children choices in imaginary sky daddies and asking them to choose between them, antithetical to everything else we teach them.
Neither Sam nor any of the other more articulate members on this thread are demanding that you present religion to your children as an option on equal footing with atheism. They are suggesting that children learn valuable lessons from being exposed to a variety of cultural motifs. It's up to you to make sure they understand the difference between fantasy and reality. Besides, I'm living proof that a child does not have to be taught that religion is stupid in order to reject it. All that is required is that he not be taught that it is smart. Obviously you don't want to leave a six-year-old alone in a room for two hours with your passionate, charismatic, evangelical Christian uncle. You should engage him in a debate and let your child start learning about reasoning and debating.
A fairy tale or a festival is not the same thing as full blown religion, it's entertainment, not something which is designed for crowd control.
Religion comes in a wide spectrum. For many people it's only a little bit beyond entertainment. And for some it actually is just entertainment, they just don't think about it. Look at all the American Christians who claim they believe in heaven but not in hell.
Typical idiotic response from you, sam.
Q could you PLEASE dial it back! Many of the rules are suspended on the Religion board or we wouldn't be able to host a religion board, but the rule against personal insults is in full effect. Surely a well-read good writer with an excellent education like yourself can come up with a riposte that is witty without looking like an insult to all of Sam's co-religionists and threatening to start a flame war.

Shame on you.
So if you tell your children what you believe, thats indoctrination.
And as I pointed out, my parents never did that. I did not know they believed there are no gods because they never talked about it.
Can I tell them that atheists have a tendency to turn into genocidal mass murderers? Due to a lack of moral values and any creed to guide them? They don't have to accept it uncritically of course, I could show them pictures of What Atheists Did.
People have the right to tell their children anything they want, but to tell your children that would still be dishonest. You're implying that atheists are more likely to turn into genocidal mass murderers than theists and we're not. You continue to blame communism on atheism when it is nothing but an unbalanced form of Christianity, different only in degree from the faux-Mormon bigamists in Arizona and the faux-Baptist white supremacists in Mississippi.
Atheism lacks moral values because it's a philosophical position. Atheists themselves do not typically lack moral values.
Thank you. Sam has trouble understanding that it's possible to develop a moral standard through reason, without having to believe that the Flying Spaghetti Monster will punish you for not having one.
From what I have seen in this thread, all athiest parents pass on their beliefs if not about God, then certainly about other religions to their children, carefully ensuring that the point of view that emerges reflects their own. Not one athiest for example, brought up one child as a Muslim, another as a Christian etc.
Another disingenuous argument that is beneath you. Why do you conveniently ignore my own experience, just because I happen to be speaking from the perspective of the child rather than the parent? My parents did not pass on any belief (or disbelief) to me. They were completely mute on the subject of religion and in fact I think they would have been uncomfortable to bring it up.
So yes, I do wonder at the duplicity of those who call theists child abusers for following their own beliefs.
This is an illustration of why we should avoid inflammatory language on SciForums, especially on such a thorny issue as this one. The members you refer to have a good point to make, but they're not going to engage you in a dialog about it by calling you a child abuser. Mister Q, you should also take note of this point the next time you start to type the word "idiotic."

I confess to having included insulting language in my long post about my childhood experience, but I was trying to accurately quote the thoughts of a child 55 or 60 years ago for the edification of the readers. Children are by nature ruder than grownups.
All parents use fear in some way to bring up their children.
Mine did not and I grew up just fine. They slapped me a couple of times when I was being a complete asshole, but I got the message that they were not doing that to teach me to be kind for fear of being punished, they wanted rather to teach me to be kind because to be unkind makes other people feel bad--so bad that they might do something irrational that they'll regret. I did not know fear until I was about ten and they started taking me to the movies that showed the horrors of WWII so soon after its end. I think they felt it was okay to use fear of what people can do to each other to teach me not to grow up like their generation, believing that violence is an acceptable way to resolve disputes.
we need a sarcasm enoticon.
We need one in speech. I never ever get it. Something like those double-handed two-finger wiggles we use to indicate quotation marks. :)

SAM,

The subject is indoctrination not abuse. Matters of law and community accepted behavior is a different topic that I was not addressing.

My perspective is that how people choose to raise their children is their own affair even though I might disagree I’m not about to impose my values on others.

I agree with you, I am of the opinion that if indoctrination is overtly abusive (and it can be) then intervention may be necessary.

What would you consider abusive indoctrination?

This would probably cover it:

For the magic to work, the killing had to be done just right. If the goddess were to grant Khudu Karmakar the awesome powers he expected from a virgin's death, the victim had to be willing, had to know what was happening, watch the knife, and not stop it. But even tranquilizers couldn't lull 15-year-old Manju Kumari to her fate. In his police confession, Karmakar says his wife, daughter and three accomplices had to gag Manju and pin her down on the earthen floor before the shrine. In ritual order, Karmakar wafted incense over her, tore off her blue skirt and pink T shirt, shaved her, sprinkled her with holy water from the Ganges and rubbed her with cooking fat. Then chanting mantras to the "mother" goddess Kali, he sawed off Manju's hands, breasts and left foot, placing the body parts in front of a photograph of a blood-soaked Kali idol. Police say the arcs of blood on the walls suggest Manju bled to death in minutes.

http://www.time.com/time/magazine/article/0,9171,501020729-322673,00.html

That's fatal indoctrination. And lay off Kali, she's cool, but has some nutty followers.

That's fatal indoctrination. And lay off Kali, she's cool, but has some nutty followers.

Kali is a blood thirsty goddess. All her followers offer blood sacrifice. She is the manifestation of righteous justice that can only be satisfied by blood.

Though some follwoers have mellowed

Even 200 years ago, when a boy was killed every day at a Kali temple in Calcutta, blood cults were at odds with a benign Hindu spiritualism that celebrates abstinence and vegetarianism. But Kali is different. A ferocious slayer of evil in Hindu mythology, the goddess is said to have an insatiable appetite for blood. With the law on killing people more strictly enforced today, ersatz substitutes now stand in for humans when sacrifice is required. Most Kali temples have settled on large pumpkins to represent a human body; other followers slit the throats of two-meter-tall human effigies made of flour, or of animals such as goats.

Kali is the black void from which all comes and all goes. She is a natural dynamic of this universe.
And remember that she cut off her own head to release us from her bondage.

What exactly does this have to do with an atheist indoctrination.

The victims are "willing". Its like sati, where the wives were willing (with drugs to make the willingness easier)

And its not atheist indoctrination. I would say there is plenty of theist indoctrination to go around :)

Back