Do atheists celebrate on religious festivals?

Select one of the following:

• Total voters
"Why would you celebrate something that you do not believe in? What other things you don't believe in do you celebrate?"

Let me get this straight:
Tons of people are having fun and getting together. They all celebrate for their own reasons and their own beliefs. You think because I don't believe in god I should sit in my room by myself and sulk? Instead of joining, having a good time, and celebrating the things I DO believe in? (such as friendship, family, giving, etc.)

You sound like an asshole.

"Why would you celebrate something that you do not believe in? What other things you don't believe in do you celebrate?"

Tons of people are having fun and getting together. They all celebrate for their own reasons and their own beliefs. You think because I don't believe in god I should sit in my room by myself and sulk? Instead of joining, having a good time, and celebrating the things I DO believe in? (such as friendship, family, giving, etc.)

Lets see, I declare that I do not believe in X. I think X is the result of delusion and various psychological factors. I think X is false. Then, I go to a party where people are celebrating X, because I want to have fun.

And apparently anyone who sees a contradiction in this is an asshole. :crazy:

What she means is, it makes atheists hypocrites to celebrate RELIGIOUS holidays.

"Then, I go to a party where people are celebrating X"

I know of no parties where people specifically celebrate some religion. That isn't a party that is a worship service. If I go to a christmas party, it is not everyone bowing before a statue of infant jesus. I am not talking about going to a party at a church or something. It is understood at these celebrations that all are welcome. I hang out with people that are generally inclusive, easy going, and nice. How bout you?

Hmm so you would go to a party celebrating what you do not believe in, if the people were inclusive, easy going and nice. Correct? You don't particularly care what they believe in and whether it is contradictory to what you believe?

"Then, I go to a party where people are celebrating X"

I know of no parties where people specifically celebrate some religion. That isn't a party that is a worship service. If I go to a christmas party, it is not everyone bowing before a statue of infant jesus. I am not talking about going to a party at a church or something. It is understood at these celebrations that all are welcome. I hang out with people that are generally inclusive, easy going, and nice. How bout you?

The celebration is Christmas. Christmas is religious. Therefore, atheists celebrating christmas are hypocrites.

So you go out and celebrate midwinter? Why? What about midsummer, mid fall, midspring?

Why not? It's an excuse for some fun. And yes, I celebrate midsummer, as it just happens to be a friends birthday.

We don't have to have a deities ass to kiss to underpin some festival you know, we can just do stuff for fun.

I party hardy every chance I can get! You have a celebration about anything I'll attend and have fun, make people laugh and generally have a good time with everyone there no matter what they believe in or why. ;)

I party hardy every chance I can get! You have a celebration about anything I'll attend and have fun, make people laugh and generally have a good time with everyone there no matter what they believe in or why. ;)

Therefore you are celebrating the birth of Christ, and if you don't believe in him, that makes you a hypocrite.

What other things you do not believe in do you have parties for?

let me see:
-it is Wendesday
- it is raining,
-it is sunny
-I got fired
-I haven't get fired (yet)

I think you got my drift...

I can see why your family celebrates them, why do you?

Because he doesn't want to be a partypooper... Imagine being an atheist AND a partypooper...

P.S.: For those who don't know Sam, her threads are fine, as long as you don't take it seriously...Then you cry...

Hmm so you go to anti-gay parades, pro-life parties, KKK barbecues?

"Hmm so you go to anti-gay parades, pro-life parties, KKK barbecues?"

I've never heard of any such thing. Are you dense? Christmas parties are NOT celebrating the birth of jesus. Not the ones I go to. It is not religious. It is a fancy tree and santa claus and gifts and playing with kids. Easter parties have nothing whatever to do with a guy coming back from the dead. Not any I have ever been to. Its been egg hunts and a bunny and baskets of candy. I couldn't care less what the roots of these celebrations are.

"Hmm so you go to anti-gay parades, pro-life parties, KKK barbecues?"

I've never heard of any such thing. Are you dense? Christmas parties are NOT celebrating the birth of jesus. Not the ones I go to. It is not religious. It is a fancy tree and santa claus and gifts and playing with kids. Easter parties have nothing whatever to do with a guy coming back from the dead. Not any I have ever been to. Its been egg hunts and a bunny and baskets of candy. I couldn't care less what the roots of these celebrations are.

Neither are anti-gay parades, pro-life parties, KKK barbecues. They are just regular everyday funloving people who think they are special because of their beliefs. They aren't doing anything related to their beliefs. So what if other people think they are delusional? Its just a get together for like minded people to hang out. But I'd very surprised to see someone who does not share their beliefs, in fact, has the opposite stance, hanging out with them, just so as not to be a party pooper. Wouldn't you?

Therefore you are celebrating the birth of Christ, and if you don't believe in him, that makes you a hypocrite.

Since those religions where based on earlier pagan religions... by the logic listed above.. that would make all Christians hypocrites.. and basically anyone else who celebrated those days for their religious beliefs?

Thats your belief. :shrug:

However, if a person tells me he's hanging out at a KKK barbecue even though he thinks they are planks but because he likes to partay, I would consider him a bigger hypocrite. At least they are being true to their beliefs, what is he doing there?

I'm an atheist who celebrates religious festivals and I do it for the food, drink and good company. But I don't try to go out of my way to do it. ie., in a hypothetical if my Muslim friends and family are out of town, I wouldn't celebrate Eid. But if they happen to be in town I'm happy to join them.

I'm an atheist who celebrates religious festivals and I do it for the food, drink and good company. But I don't try to go out of my way to do it. ie., in a hypothetical if my Muslim friends and family are out of town, I wouldn't celebrate Eid. But if they happen to be in town I'm happy to join them.

Does your family know that you are an atheist?

Kadark the Stealthy

Back