Do atheists celebrate on religious festivals?

Select one of the following:

• Total voters

S.A.M.

uniquely dreadful
Valued Senior Member
So, do atheists celebrate on religious festivals? If Yes/No, why?

Im not Christian, but due to the fact some of my family are... and the fact that they are national public holidays... We do celebrate them.

Though what a fat red dude who gives out presents has to do with Christianity is beyond me. I see Xmas as family time.

Easter is similar.. another national pubic holiday, and a time to give chocolate gifts to friends and family.

Those are the only two that would make my calander.

Abstain from what? Family, friends, chocolates and pressies? No thanks! Im happy celebrating!

Theyre all old hijacked pagan religious ceremonies anyways... if no one else is abstaining.. why should I?

You have to be a real plank to think Jesus was born on the 25th of December, or a rocket scientist to actually figure what day Easter should be on.

Abstain from what? Family, friends, chocolates and pressies? No thanks! Im happy celebrating!

Theyre all old hijacked pagan religious ceremonies anyways... if no one else is abstaining.. why should I?

You have to be a real plank to think Jesus was born on the 25th of December, or a rocket scientist to actually figure what day Easter should be on.

Well you obviously are not a follower of pagan religion either, and I've never met a Christian who thought they were celebrating a pagan religion. But clearly, while admitting that you neither believe in God nor in the birth or resurrection of Jesus as a Prophet, are quite happy to be celebrating, for personal material gain.

So, what does that make you?

Well you obviously are not a follower of pagan religion either, and I've never met a Christian who thought they were celebrating a pagan religion.

That has what to do with the price of eggs? And you clearly have not met many Christians! I know lots and lots and lots.

But clearly, while admitting that you neither believe in God

No.. thats just your insidious way of thinking there. I said I was not a Christian.. nothing more, nothing less. You really do make up stuff as you go along.. you know that?

nor in the birth or resurrection of Jesus as a Prophet, are quite happy to be celebrating, for personal material gain.

Again with the siffness. I wish you could keep it straight. You clearly missed where I listed friends and family first. I find them more important than everything else.. including a Middle East God suffering from small penis syndrome.

So you celebrate religious festivals for your all important family that believes in a Middle East God suffering from small penis syndrome.

So you celebrate religious festivals for your all important family that believes in a Middle East God suffering from small penis syndrome.

Again... oh well. If you cant be honest or keep it straight.. thats your thing.

Yeah, I should learn to be honest from people who think their family and friends are planks while celebrating religious festivals they don't believe in.

Yeah, I should learn to be honest from people who think their family and friends are planks while celebrating religious festivals they don't believe in.

Please stop lying and twisting stuff all the time S.A.M. Actually my Christian friends and family know the Christmas is based on earlier pagan holidays and it is often discussed around that time of year in their congregation.

Hence the reason I said lots and lots.

Please stop lying and twisting stuff all the time S.A.M. Actually my Christian friends and family know the Christmas is based on earlier pagan holidays and it is often discussed around that time of year in their congregation.

Hence the reason I said lots and lots.

And they, your [lots and lots of] Christian friends, think they are celebrating pagan religions when they celebrate?

I celebrate Yule. It's not religious per se, it's a midwinter festival.

btw SAM, this is a rather pathetic attempt to slam atheists again.

I celebrate Yule. It's not religious per se, it's a midwinter festival.

btw SAM, this is a rather pathetic attempt to slam atheists again.

So you go out and celebrate midwinter? Why? What about midsummer, mid fall, midspring?

ALL the religions Christian, Muslim, Jewish celebrate around the same time of the year, i assume Hindu's do also - December\January. I am not religious in the traditional sense but it is still a special time of the year.

Although I am agnostic, I do celebrate both Christian and Muslim holidays, as my family are Alawi and alot of alawis do celebrate Christmas and Easter.

Although I am agnostic, I do celebrate both Christian and Muslim holidays, as my family are Alawi and alot of alawis do celebrate Christmas and Easter.

I can see why your family celebrates them, why do you?

Back