Do atheists believe in free will?

Two problems here. First, even if you want to invoke quantum indeterminacy as a mechanism for free will, you have to deal with the fact that quantum phenomenon are completely random - at best, this would allow you to establish "random will" that a person doesn't actually have any control over.

Second, determinism certainly is present on the macroscopic scale. You have to get down to very specific, very small scales - like a single atom waiting to decay, or the position of an individual electron around a nucleus - before quantum indeterminacy starts to matter. It's not at all clear that quantum indeterminacy has anything to do with the macroscopic functioning of the brain. Even a single neuron is so large that indeterminate quantum effects would no longer have any significant impact.

This is what 'free will' advocates don't grasp. Things either happen for a reason, or are random. Combining these two mechanisms in any quantity does not produce 'free' thought. Thoughts are bound by mechanisms.

People will always choose the most logical decision that they can make, and only that person has the necessary inputs needed to make that decision. No matter what someone chooses, only that person knows the exact reasons why they make the choice. Because people will always choose the most justifiable option, then someone could say that there isn't any free-will, but the only thing that that person could say that is absolute is that someone will always choose the option that they find the most logical.

The only way to demonstrate free-will is to have someone make a decision that has no input given to the person deciding. Because this is never possible, then one could say that free-will doesn't exist; people can predict what choice other people will make if they know the exact inputs given to the person making the decision.

Say a letter, either 'a' or 'x', but not both, right now.
No matter how seemingly random that question (or command I suppose) is, people will always come to the decision that is the result of a logical thought process which may include something like, ''a' looks cooler, so I'll say that' or 'just because I'm biased towards 'a', I think I'll choose 'x'' Or something like that.

Because of these reasons, I believe that it's impossible to say that there is or isn't free-will. If you want to believe in it, then do it, if you don't, don't. In the end, it doesn't matter. If you don't believe in free will, then you are looking for an excuse for your failure. If you do believe in free will, then you are looking for a reason to always strive for more. That's what it all boils down to in my opinion.

Does anyone here watch the American comedy show "Saturday Night Live"?

A few weeks ago they had an episode with a 5-minute bit of "Dora the Explorer," an educational children's show that’s aimed at very young kids. The cartoon character Dora will ask the kids (via the TV) questions like "If it's three o’clock now, what time will it be in two hours?" or "How many days are in a week?" and then pause for the child to answer. They had a few “normal” questions like that that, then suddenly Dora asked "If I make a decision because of my beliefs, but I don't have control over my beliefs, do I really have free will?" It was followed by a very long pause.

Back