Division by zero,seems flawed

No, 0/0 is undefined as a mathematical term.
(Which is about the only place it can occur).

Yes, it is undefined but undefined could be one of possible answers or 0 can't represent 'nothing' in all cases (not talking about philosophy.) It's afterall only an abstraction.

Undefined is the answer.

0 can't represent 'nothing' in all cases (not talking about philosophy.) It's afterall only an abstraction
Huh?
And it's an abstraction as much as "1" is.

Sure, yet 1 can represent something physical e.g. 1 dog and 0 can represent no dogs but what does x/0 represent where x is a variable or 0/0?

Sure, yet 1 can represent something physical e.g. 1 dog and 0 can represent no dogs but what does x/0 represent where x is a variable or 0/0?
Um, the "1" represents the quantity (non-physical) of dogs. The word "dog" represents the physical dog.

What does 3/2 represent?

Are you saying quantities cannot represent physical objects.

3/2 can represent one and a half of something.

Quantities do NOT represent physical objects.
They represent the number of physical objects.

3/2 represents NO physical object until you add a noun (and it's the noun which, as stated, actually represents the object itself).
3/2 fish.
3/2 dogs.
3/2 doughnuts.
What physical object is represented by the "3/2" in all of those sentences at the same time? None. Not a one.

Agreed, yet they can consistently be used with the nouns that represent something physical. How can x/0 or 0/0 be used consistently with a noun to represent something physical? Let there be 8 dogs, if I were to multiply 8 by 2 then i get 16 lets let there be 16 dogs if I multiply 0 by 8 I get 0 let there be no dogs.

Last edited:
Agreed, yet they can consistently be used with the nouns that represent something physical. How can x/0 or 0/0 be used consistently with a noun to represent something physical?
There are many mathematical terms that can't be used with something physical, why should this be anything special?

Can I ask for 2i+3 gallons of petrol?
How about 0/1 lb of beef?

There are many mathematical terms that can't be used with something physical, why should this be anything special?

Can I ask for 2i+3 gallons of petrol?
How about 0/1 lb of beef?

i is a variable why shouldn't I be able to 'use' it, and 0/1=0 so 0lb of beef.

i is not a variable.
It's the square root of -1.

And where, exactly, would you ask for 0lb of beef?

Yet you wouldn't use the term 0/1 lb of beef.
Neither would you ask for 0 lb of beef.

I can imagine green unicorns with elephant ears and a shotgun.
Does that make them "usable" at all?

By 'usable' I mean it's conceivable. i is clear in that it doesn't beg any question from one but 0/0 "makes" one ask questions about 'nothing'.

I still don't quite the "problem".
Unless it's just that you have some desire for it to "make sense" in a "real" fashion.

Shit happens.
If infinity is the biggest "possible number" you can have how is it possible (or even conceivable) to have something larger than infinity?
Yet we do and it's a solid part of mathematics...

I still don't quite the "problem".
Unless it's just that you have some desire for it to "make sense" in a "real" fashion.

It's more I am curious whether the mathematical statements can be realized to be physically 'usable' hypothetically. I would like to know it either can be realized or cannot be realized or 'other'.

Shit happens.
If infinity is the biggest "possible number" you can have how is it possible (or even conceivable) to have something larger than infinity?
Yet we do and it's a solid part of mathematics...

The "biggest possible number" is in question can it be realized hypothetically whether there is a "biggest possible number", it seems more that one can always add 1 to a number no matter how big it is hypothetically.

Back