Did Nothing Create Everything?

The Short Version…

Definition:
Absolute Nothingness is the complete absence of the existence of all things whether in the form of matter, energy, space, or anything else known or unknown. It is the total absence of existence.

Hypothesis:
No real and actual thing can come from Absolute Nothingness for it has no existence, no energy, no matter, no space, or anything else known or unknown from which to create it. No real and actual thing can really and actually “spontaneously generate” or create itself from Absolute Nothingness. To do this it would have to either pre-exist itself or be created by something else. If it pre-exists itself then “it” actually exists and we do not have Absolute Nothingness. If something else created it then that “something else” actually exists and we do not have Absolute Nothingness. If a first cause of any kind exists then that “first cause” actually exists and again we do not have Absolute Nothingness. If there are fluctuations of space or energy, or the pre-existence of particles, or the pre-existence of anything of any kind whatsoever then it is not Absolute Nothingness.

Now, if Absolute Nothingness ever existed, then there would be Absolute Nothingness right now. For Something cannot come from Absolute Nothingness. However, Something does exist. In fact You exist. Therefore, the very fact that You exist is proof that Absolute Nothingness never existed. Now, if Absolute Nothingness never existed, then Something has always existed, and could never have not been.

Something is eternal.

What Do You Think?

I think cause and effect should really be a rule in science, it might be I don't know, but that is not taking into account when discussing this nothingness hypothesis by so called scientists.

Whichever way you look at it, if the universe is finite it is an effect not the cause.

So I agree with you, not sure about the eternal aspect.

SetiAlpha6:

Please prove multiverses exist.
Please prove that your Creator God exists.

The difference between the two of us is that I don't claim that a multiverse exists - I only say it is a possibility that hasn't been ruled out - whereas you claim to have the inside story on God.

Aren't they just an imaginary fairy story? Unbounded Extrapolation? A Multiverse of the Gaps? Even an article of Faith?
Isn't your God just an imaginary fairy story? Unbounded fantasy? A God of the Gaps? An article of faith?

If our entire universe popped into existence like a Quantum Particle (or perhaps like Quantum Quack) does, it would have already popped out of existence long ago.
Can you prove that?

Unless perhaps, an Eternal Something, of some kind, is holding the entire universe in a state of existence. Actively preventing it from popping back out of existence?

Hmmm...?
Do you think that this is how your God spends his days - making sure that stuff doesn't cease to exist? Does it require his constant attention, or is this something he does on the side?

Experimentally, it is observed that things like atoms can remain stable for very long periods of time. They tend not to pop out of existence spontaneously.

Perhaps that could even be a Who instead of a What? That could even indicate willful intent or purpose?

Just Hmmm...?
It could be, but there's no good evidence for it, as far as I'm aware. Do you have any? (Split rocks in Arabia won't convince me, I'm afraid.)

The multiverse fable was conceived to counter the problem presented by the clearly fine-tuned nature of our Universe. That fine-tuning makes the Universe appear to be designed by an Intelligent Cause.
Once again, you mistake an appearance for an actuality.

It might look to you like the universe is fine-tuned, but can you prove that it is? You say this is "clear". What makes it clear? What is your evidence for fine-tuning? Are you aware of any of the counter-arguments to claims of fine-tuning?

The Universe appears to have been created with a purpose with precise constraints placed upon it to allow for you and I to exist, live, eat, walk around, see, feel, taste, etc.
What's the purpose of the universe, and how do you know that's the purpose?

The multiverse has never been proven, at least as far as I know. It is a fantasy!
God has never been proven, as least as far as I know. It is a fantasy!

It attempts to make the mathematical improbability of our Universe less impossible, but fails because there is no proof that it exists.
You have not shown that the universe is impossible or even improbable in the absence of your God.

Also, isn't your God mathematically improbable, even moreso than the universe?

Do you have proof that your God exists?

But I think that the mathematical probability is so low that it would be considered to be impossible by empirical science.
And yet it's the only thing that empirical science is studying. Apparently the probability of a designer is even lower.
You really do have a ton of faith in unproven ideas.
I trust science as the best path to knowledge - because it has proven itself over and over. The computer you're looking at is proof that science works.

Do you believe that Nothing created Everything?

If you do, please prove it.
How do you define nothing? A lack of something? Before Everything, would it be the lack of anything? In the lack of anything at all, isn't the only existence possibility?
Isn't an omnipotent God just the ultimate source of possibility? Wouldn't that make a belief in God all the proof you need?

And yet it's the only thing that empirical science is studying. Apparently the probability of a designer is even lower.

I wonder why they are paying millions of pounds studying these pointless and answer less questions. What do they want to know? Nothing. And that's all they'll ever know.

I wonder why they are paying millions of pounds studying these pointless and answer less questions. What do they want to know? Nothing. And that's all they'll ever know.
But after millions of pounds, they will know more about nothing.

When I was in school, we were always in competition with the school down the street - a liberal arts college which has gotten some fame over the years. In our engineering school, people would specialize into a discipline (first electrical engineering, then power electronics, then high frequency switchmode power converters as an example) as they moved through the degrees. A common saying there was "you learn more and more about less and less until you know everything about nothing." For the liberal arts school the saying was "you learn less and less about more and more until you know nothing about everything."

Last edited:
How much did the Michelson-Morley experiment cost?

:EDIT:

Subsequent experiments I think maybe were funded by a countries military - Oppenheimer.

Last edited:
It is very remotely possible that what you suggest is the case.

But I think that the mathematical probability is so low that it would be considered to be impossible by empirical science.
If the mathematical probability is that some specific thing (say, creation of life, or creation of the solar system) happens by chance is .0000001% a year, then the odds of it happening in a year are indeed effectively impossible. However, if you look at the same odds over 4 billion years, then it's nearly a certainty that it will happen.

Two questions:
Science:
Did the big bang come from nothing?
Religion:
Did God come from nothing?

Ironic isn't it?
Neither religion or science can ever answer this question unlesss, we accept that the question it self prevents an answer.
Why do we believe that existance has a begining?

Two questions:
Science:
Did the big bang come from nothing?
Religion:
Did God come from nothing?

Ironic isn't it?
Neither religion or science can ever answer this question unlesss, we accept that the question it self prevents an answer.
Why do we believe that existance has a begining?
Theists tend to think that saying that God created the universe solves a problem. It doesn't. It just pushes the question back one step. If God created the universe, then the obvious next question is: who or what created God?

The usual theist response to this new question is that God is eternal and needs no other creator. But if it is true that some things can be eternal and uncreated, then how do we know that the universe/multiverse wouldn't fit the bill just as well as God? Maybe the multiverse is eternal and needs no Creator.

Another possibility is that, somehow, God lifted himself by his own bootstraps and somehow created himself, possibly "by necessity". But if that is the case, the same question arises: why couldn't the universe itself do the same thing?

Theists tend to think that saying that God created the universe solves a problem. It doesn't. It just pushes the question back one step. If God created the universe, then the obvious next question is: who or what created God?

The usual theist response to this new question is that God is eternal and needs no other creator. But if it is true that some things can be eternal and uncreated, then how do we know that the universe/multiverse wouldn't fit the bill just as well as God? Maybe the multiverse is eternal and needs no Creator.

Another possibility is that, somehow, God lifted himself by his own bootstraps and somehow created himself, possibly "by necessity". But if that is the case, the same question arises: why couldn't the universe itself do the same thing?
reminds me of a slightly funny story: ( fiction**)
Mr Big Bang ( God) was sitting on a stage for an interview being televised live around the globe.
"Welcome BB I have but one question for you. You admit that you created the universe but what exactly created you?"
BB for ever the showman, solemnly scratched his white bearded chin, stared at the camera and offered the challenge:
"I have no idea, but I promise you now, that if you can work it out you can have my job." :biggrin:

Q: Why did I have to declare the above as fiction?
A: Maybe the evangelists could provide an answer?

Invalid assumption that a God is a contingent existence or even subject to time. Like the Big Bang, time is not typically considered to exist prior to it, which makes any ordinal causal question invalid.
Because physical existence is obviously contingent, with all evidence pointing toward a beginning.
A God can be a necessary existence, but a universe is contingent, showing evidence of a beginning.
Physical things require an energy input to organize. I've never seen anyone assert such an organizational contingency for a God.

Back