Denial of Evolution VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
RobbityRobbityRobbity. Beep bop baDOO waaah. Oh sorry, I was just listening to Dizzy. Back to work:

Robittybob1 said:
A cell dividing and producing two cells; which cell was the one that came alive?
Both!

That must be just a continuation of life, not a starting of life.
To me the distinction is kind of silly. "Life from life" is so subjective, so borderline superstitious. It's as if there is something magic about a cell replicating itself as compared to the way a crystal grows, or the way a compound precipitates out of solution. Obviously at the lowest levels the cell is only undergoing chemical reactions. But at the same time it's experiencing systemic changes at several layers in the manner of a machine, so some folks feel the need to associate it with magic, as if we are uncomfortable with the idea of chemical nanobots ruling supreme over the biosphere. Creationists need a leader and they need to feel the magic. So they invent it. It's purely emotional. Somehow this bleeds over into the way the rest of people think.

You could say the organism is a "new life", as is often said for a fertilized embryo, but it didn't just become alive.
The process of DNA replication probably doesn't give anyone a warm fuzzy any more than the idea of trying to kiss a lizard on the lips. I think we can probably label it "inert" and not start the holy rollers foaming at the mouth. But that's 90% of cell replication, and the rest is a division of assets, just before the cell wall closes--described as chemical reactions as well. My point is, cells are really nothing more than automatons. It's crazy that, by the time humans had advanced to the point of observing cells under the microscope, folks were still backward enough to feed the need to give organisms souls. There is nothing more sacred about a fertilized human egg than that of a chimp, or a lizard, or a maggot. It's no more sacred than a spore, a seed, or the primitive germ that forms a sponge or a jelly. And the part that comes next, during embryonic cleavage, is no more sacred than the mitosis of primitive bacteria, amoeba or protozoans. And did I say fungi and Euglena. (Let me get an Amen!, brother. I'm covering all 5 kingdoms in keeping with Pentacostal Science. :p . . . plus the Monera, which I suspect Christians never really had sympathy for anyway. Might ask a Jain though. Funny thing about the denial. Some of these critters being dismissed are what digest you in the grave. They get the last laugh. If only they could! Wait: that means we do. Huh? :bugeye: Whoa. :eek: )

But is the replication of a primitive cell any more magical than the random formation of chemical bonds which just happen to form polygons in certain organic molecules, isomers or crystals? I think not. I think we can all agree that anyone who thinks quartz has a soul just because Silicon likes to form lattices, or that DNA is magic because it magically winds into a double helix, is probably prone to seeing the Virgin Mary in the paint peeling from the wall. I would no sooner give a soul to a cell than I would venerate Hydrogen for teaching all the elements what an orbital is. And how bout them electrons? Particle physics is closer to magic than the sprockets and gizmos of a cell. But no one is advancing the idea that particles are sacred, or that they are alive. And yet they are truly created, not mere products of molecular synthesis.

Creationists will patronize us - even themselves :p - and browbeat us into submission over the idea that all of this was their Designer's opus magnum. But we grew up, we saw Dad putting together the bike one Christmas Eve, and now we know Santa is a myth. The only question is, how much longer do some of us perpetuate the myth? And how many ways? leopold is expressing strident atheism, yet he curiously clings to some of the romantic notions of the ghost in the machine. Seriously, how many people would naturally take this position if given plain facts, from the moment they first learned to ask "Why?"

At any level we choose (to the extent technology allows) we discover that Ultimate Reality boils down to some very fundamental physical laws being obeyed. An electron simply can't achieve stability outside of its ground state any more than conservation of energy can be violated. An atom will bond depending on the valence related to the electron configuration. Molecules acquire properties due to proportions of atoms bonding, and unusual effects that arise from intrinsics like geometry and polarity. RNA is one particular molecule whose geometry allows it to grow an image of itself almost like a crystal does. And so for DNA. Is that really life? Probably not. Certainly nothing to revere unless the pain meds are really working on our emotions and imagination. (Perish the thought that there is any recreational use going on out there.) Lipids happen to form effective boundaries between solutions of different concentrations, so that establishes the cell membrane as the natural consequence of a fundamental molecular property. And so on. There never was any magic, not at any level, not other than the laws of nature which are better characterized as mysteries - the same as Creationists ascribe to God, only without all the embellishment. Nature is a robot, not a person. And certainly not benevolent or beneficent, not outside of the ephemeral moments of well-being, just before all hell breaks loose.

Getting back to where this branched off:

leopold said:
asking me to believe things become alive is like asking me to believe in god as creator.
Now I would simply ask: how realistic is that, given that cells are mindless little chemical plants - that in the simplest of models they follow the same laws as when salt crystallizes (when seawater evaporates)?

leopold said:
humanity differs from all other life due to its "mental capacity".
All other animals with brains have some capacity to "outsmart" others. So isn't this just relative?

leopold said:
i know of no other lifeform that can give you an opinion on a van gohg for example.
We are Homo sapiens sapiens - extra smart and very rarely also acutely gifted. But almost always at a cost. Van Gogh was also plagued by insanity and hallucinations - he cut off his ear, for cryin out loud (and I suspect he was) and eventually shot himself. As beautiful and masterfully created as his art was, it was also often - well, psychedelic. Was this the perfection of insanity? Many artists and musicians express dreams, visions and hallucinatory states in their work, whether they end up like Robert Schumann, Ernest Hemingway or Kurt Cobain. It looks like Van Gogh was in turmoil of one kind or another even in his most idyllic paintings.

We can think of ourselves is super-smart animals, that's understandable. But I think it's more honest to call ourselves insane apes. Animals wouldn't touch half the shit we mess with, not with a ten foot pole.

morals, ethics, right and wrong, these are topics associated with humanity.
But they all arise from primal instincts - including the ones developed through biological cooperation (socialization) which control against individual survival in favor of the good of the whole. We just think we've escaped our primal urges when we take on airs about being morally right. Of course what I just said completely demolished the whole premise of Fundamentalism.

because of this i feel humanity belongs in its own class of life.
That seems to be the purpose of good literature more than science. Here it's all about describing Nature in pure, raw (and sometimes a little disgusting) incarnations. We classify ourselves as Homo because of the same rules that we classify ants Insecta. There are no exceptions in nature, and certainly no label will ever undo the reality that we descended from ape-like protohumans.

it was never directly stated what evidence the committee used in their conclusion but the fossil record and various mechanisms of evolution were discussed. i assume it was the fossil record.
Back to this. I think where we left off, Lewin was giving us those diagrams which show that no one among them ever denied anything fundamental to Darwin's theory, other than the more vibrant discussion they had about the tempo of evolution, which was your main concern at the beginning of this thread. No one at that meeting ever disputed common descent with modification, acted on by natural selection. Somehow you are drawing a completely different conclusion, or so it seems.

i believe everything most likely has a cause.
cause and effect seems easy enough to explain.
That would certainly explain the cause of your first remark! :p

But think again. Have you never just thrown up your hands and said Shit happens. The accident on the highway that took the family of eight on their way to the church picnic. The lightning strike that started the fire that burned down the house that Jack built - including Jack. Every kind of unintended calamity. Cells don't "think" how to assemble proteins - the nanomachines (mitochondria, mRNA etc.) are fed the molecules (amino acids) to build proteins with, through random collisions of all of the stuff floating around in the cell's goo (cytoplasm). Next time you're amazed by this, just throw your hands up and say Reactions happen. :cool: keeping in mind it's the same as saying Shit happens which, as we are applying it here, is also the same as acknowledging that a lot of stuff about life is uncaused - From the emergence, survival or extinction of species all the way down to the creation of new cells. Sure, existing cells have assets to replicate themselves, and the primordial sludge where first cells created themselves did not. But the belief that sludge can not synthesize certain molecules needed to create cells where non existed before is way way too strict a limit. And evidently it's wrong. First cells got here, after all.

i submit that the "spandrels" suggested by gould could actually be happening at the molecular level.
various molecules are doing what gould proposed but at a much smaller scale.
with the right "framework" in place all that would be needed is a catalyst or enzyme to complete the process.
If you get a chance to dig into Gould's theories a little deeper, I think you'll find something completely different. He's usually talking about mechanisms at higher levels than the population genetics and natural selection of Darwin's theory. Enzymes, by the way, are what cells use to operate on DNA and proteins. So all of that is already built into the lowest level cellular processes. But spandrels is also his explanation for the reason that certain traits that are not relevant to the ones under pressure will jump in the car with the ones that are under pressure. Obviously there are many levels and perspectives to evolution.

This has been posted before, but here is the link:

http://www.evolutionpages.com/chromosome_2.htm

What is interesting about knowledge about evolution is that it is predictive (whereas 'creationism' is not). For example, in the above we can see that Human Chromosome 2 is the result of the fusion of two chromosomes into a single chromosome, leaving one of the centrioles inactive as a 'remnant' of the fusion. With this knowledge, one might wonder whether any of the other chromosomes can be the result of fusion of two chromosomes. If so, we might see an inactive centriole remnant from that fusion. Thus, we might search the other chromsomes to see whether such remnant exists, and ascertain which chromosomes fused in the even more distant past than the fusion resulting in Chromosome 2 (which is not yet well-dated, other than generally occurring sometime between about 6 million ya and 200,000 ya).

leopold said:

Is language the only thing that sets us apart from other animals?

Marc Hauser wrote in his essay Origin of the Mind that “Charles Darwin argued in his 1871 book The Descent of Man that the difference between human and nonhuman minds is “one degree of no of kind.” Scholars have long upheld that view, pointing in recent years to genetic evidence showing that we share some 98 percent of our genes with chimpanzees. But if our shared genetic heritage can explain the evolutionary origin of the human mind, then why isn't a chimpanzee writing this essay, or singing backup for the Rolling Stones, or making a soufflé? Indeed, mounting evidence indicates that, in contrast to Darwin’s theory of continuity of mind between humans and other species, a profound gap separates our intellect from the animal kind.”

Unfortunately, he was found guilty of eight counts of scientific misconduct.

“Taking money from the Templeton foundation presents a Faustian choice for many. Given the lack of funding in many of our disciplines, it is tempting to be seduced by an organization brimming with money. But I wouldn't do it! Selling your soul is irreversible, so I hear.” ~ Marc Hauser

Irony or hypocrisy? :shrug:

Now I would simply ask: how realistic is that, given that cells are mindless little chemical plants - that in the simplest of models they follow the same laws as when salt crystallizes (when seawater evaporates)?
yes, i can easily see the "mechanics" of cell construction.
the question is what would be a good definition of life, one that applies to all life and nothing else.
for example, one definition would allow us to include fire as life.
fire isn't "alive"
We are Homo sapiens sapiens - extra smart and very rarely also acutely gifted.
not any more or less "rarely" than any other "animal".
it's no secret all or most animals offer some sort of advantage . . . somewhere.
But I think it's more honest to call ourselves insane apes.
humans do not even come close to possessing the strength of an ape.
even monkeys are strong enough to rip the nose off your face, literally.
Animals wouldn't touch half the shit we mess with, not with a ten foot pole.
only because they do not possess the brainpower.
That seems to be the purpose of good literature more than science.
i disagree.
there is the biology of humans and the science of humans.
biologically humans are related to every other lifeform, has connections with it through the structure of DNA.
scientifically humans are quite different from any other lifeform, again because of their intellectual prowess.
animals simply do not possess this.
Back to this. I think where we left off, Lewin was giving us those diagrams which show that no one among them ever denied anything fundamental to Darwin's theory, other than the more vibrant discussion they had about the tempo of evolution, which was your main concern at the beginning of this thread.
that's assuming the graphs are an accurate representation of the fossil record.
No one at that meeting ever disputed common descent with modification, acted on by natural selection. Somehow you are drawing a completely different conclusion, or so it seems.
i so wish i had a transcript of this conference.
But think again. Have you never just thrown up your hands and said Shit happens. The accident on the highway that took the family of eight on their way to the church picnic.
yes, and this accident had a cause
. . . , is also the same as acknowledging that a lot of stuff about life is uncaused - . . .
oh my, this doesn't sound very scientific of you aqueous.
But the belief that sludge can not synthesize certain molecules needed to create cells where non existed before is way way too strict a limit.
miller-urey disproved this long ago, they didn't get all they needed for life though.
miller-urey probably sent biology down the wrong road anyway.
maybe we didn't start with amino acids.
And evidently it's wrong. First cells got here, after all.
question is, "how"?

Quote Originally Posted by leopold

IMO, that is a wild guess. There are plenty of animals that have superior mental capacities to humans, albeit only specifically adapted to their environment.
A fly can see infrared, a bat uses sonar, a cat can feel air pressure changes with it's whiskers, a pigeon uses the earth's magnetic field to navigate, a cuttle fish has a compound brain and can change its color and shape itself to look like a rock or a plant, a true shapeshifter.

Moreover, nature is rich in means of communication, from olfactory scents of insects and visual dances by birds and bees, to the formation of compound words and sentences by whales who can communicate over hundreds of miles and tell stories by means of "subsonic" chords, which are vertically stacked to form words. All these are "mental capacities" which are far superior to ours.
KOKO the gorilla understood over a thousand words and was able to communicate very complicated ideas by sign language which proves that other primates can "learn".

But without natural pressure to extend these abilities in other directions most species remain limited to their own excellence. No need to evolve something which is not needed, except to refine that mental ability which is perfectly adapted for its needs.

Man does have a larger brain and is able to imitate all the special abilities in nature and that versatility does set us apart from most other species, but we are by no means superior to all other animals in all respects. We are just another product of evolution and speciation.

"Natura artis magistra" remains true for humans as well as for other life on earth, something we sometimes forget.

There are specific mental capabilities that humans lack compared with other animals, as well as physical - one of the most glaring is navigation, finding one's way around and remembering where stuff is. Humans get lost more easily than most other mammals.

I recall reading an interview with a researcher on mammalian navigation, who pointed out that in their "dark room" measurements, where they show a mammal a desired thing across a room, turn out the lights, and record its attempts to navigate to that thing in the dark without any clues other than somatic sense and spatial memory, their biggest problem with most animals was making sure they hadn't found the target faster than they should have by using auxiliary information (noises, smells, stray light, etc). Their biggest problem with humans was preventing them from injuring themselves by banging headfirst into the walls.

leopold said:
biologically humans are related to every other lifeform, has connections with it through the structure of DNA.
scientifically humans are quite different from any other lifeform, again because of their intellectual prowess.
animals simply do not possess this.
But are humans mammals, or not because we have large brains, and so we have "science", etc.
If we aren't mammals, are we in a distinct class, and why are we? What are the taxonomic criteria, or what should they be?

You claimed that humans aren't animals. Well, we aren't plants, we aren't fungi, and we certainly aren't bacteria, so what's left?

RobbityRobbityRobbity. Beep bop baDOO waaah. Oh sorry, I was just listening to Dizzy. Back to work:

Both!

To me the distinction is kind of silly. "Life from life" is so subjective, so borderline superstitious. It's as if there is something magic about a cell replicating itself as compared to the way a crystal grows, or the way a compound precipitates out of solution. Obviously at the lowest levels the cell is only undergoing chemical reactions. But at the same time it's experiencing systemic changes at several layers in the manner of a machine, so some folks feel the need to associate it with magic, as if we are uncomfortable with the idea of chemical nanobots ruling supreme over the biosphere. Creationists need a leader and they need to feel the magic. So they invent it. It's purely emotional. Somehow this bleeds over into the way the rest of people think.

The process of DNA replication probably doesn't give anyone a warm fuzzy any more than the idea of trying to kiss a lizard on the lips. I think we can probably label it "inert" and not start the holy rollers foaming at the mouth. But that's 90% of cell replication, and the rest is a division of assets, just before the cell wall closes--described as chemical reactions as well. My point is, cells are really nothing more than automatons. It's crazy that, by the time humans had advanced to the point of observing cells under the microscope, folks were still backward enough to feed the need to give organisms souls. There is nothing more sacred about a fertilized human egg than that of a chimp, or a lizard, or a maggot. It's no more sacred than a spore, a seed, or the primitive germ that forms a sponge or a jelly. And the part that comes next, during embryonic cleavage, is no more sacred than the mitosis of primitive bacteria, amoeba or protozoans. And did I say fungi and Euglena. (Let me get an Amen!, brother. I'm covering all 5 kingdoms in keeping with Pentacostal Science. :p . . . plus the Monera, which I suspect Christians never really had sympathy for anyway. Might ask a Jain though. Funny thing about the denial. Some of these critters being dismissed are what digest you in the grave. They get the last laugh. If only they could! Wait: that means we do. Huh? :bugeye: Whoa. :eek: )

But is the replication of a primitive cell any more magical than the random formation of chemical bonds which just happen to form polygons in certain organic molecules, isomers or crystals? I think not. I think we can all agree that anyone who thinks quartz has a soul just because Silicon likes to form lattices, or that DNA is magic because it magically winds into a double helix, is probably prone to seeing the Virgin Mary in the paint peeling from the wall. I would no sooner give a soul to a cell than I would venerate Hydrogen for teaching all the elements what an orbital is. And how bout them electrons? Particle physics is closer to magic than the sprockets and gizmos of a cell. But no one is advancing the idea that particles are sacred, or that they are alive. And yet they are truly created, not mere products of molecular synthesis.

Creationists will patronize us - even themselves :p - and browbeat us into submission over the idea that all of this was their Designer's opus magnum. But we grew up, we saw Dad putting together the bike one Christmas Eve, and now we know Santa is a myth. The only question is, how much longer do some of us perpetuate the myth? And how many ways? leopold is expressing strident atheism, yet he curiously clings to some of the romantic notions of the ghost in the machine. Seriously, how many people would naturally take this position if given plain facts, from the moment they first learned to ask "Why?"

At any level we choose (to the extent technology allows) we discover that Ultimate Reality boils down to some very fundamental physical laws being obeyed. An electron simply can't achieve stability outside of its ground state any more than conservation of energy can be violated. An atom will bond depending on the valence related to the electron configuration. Molecules acquire properties due to proportions of atoms bonding, and unusual effects that arise from intrinsics like geometry and polarity. RNA is one particular molecule whose geometry allows it to grow an image of itself almost like a crystal does. And so for DNA. Is that really life? Probably not. Certainly nothing to revere unless the pain meds are really working on our emotions and imagination. (Perish the thought that there is any recreational use going on out there.) Lipids happen to form effective boundaries between solutions of different concentrations, so that establishes the cell membrane as the natural consequence of a fundamental molecular property. And so on. There never was any magic, not at any level, not other than the laws of nature which are better characterized as mysteries - the same as Creationists ascribe to God, only without all the embellishment. Nature is a robot, not a person. And certainly not benevolent or beneficent, not outside of the ephemeral moments of well-being, just before all hell breaks loose.

All other animals with brains have some capacity to "outsmart" others. So isn't this just relative?

We are Homo sapiens sapiens - extra smart and very rarely also acutely gifted. But almost always at a cost. Van Gogh was also plagued by insanity and hallucinations - he cut off his ear, for cryin out loud (and I suspect he was) and eventually shot himself. As beautiful and masterfully created as his art was, it was also often - well, psychedelic. Was this the perfection of insanity? Many artists and musicians express dreams, visions and hallucinatory states in their work, whether they end up like Robert Schumann, Ernest Hemingway or Kurt Cobain. It looks like Van Gogh was in turmoil of one kind or another even in his most idyllic paintings.

We can think of ourselves is super-smart animals, that's understandable. But I think it's more honest to call ourselves insane apes. Animals wouldn't touch half the shit we mess with, not with a ten foot pole.

But they all arise from primal instincts - including the ones developed through biological cooperation (socialization) which control against individual survival in favor of the good of the whole. We just think we've escaped our primal urges when we take on airs about being morally right. Of course what I just said completely demolished the whole premise of Fundamentalism.

That seems to be the purpose of good literature more than science. Here it's all about describing Nature in pure, raw (and sometimes a little disgusting) incarnations. We classify ourselves as Homo because of the same rules that we classify ants Insecta. There are no exceptions in nature, and certainly no label will ever undo the reality that we descended from ape-like protohumans.

Back to this. I think where we left off, Lewin was giving us those diagrams which show that no one among them ever denied anything fundamental to Darwin's theory, other than the more vibrant discussion they had about the tempo of evolution, which was your main concern at the beginning of this thread. No one at that meeting ever disputed common descent with modification, acted on by natural selection. Somehow you are drawing a completely different conclusion, or so it seems.

But think again. Have you never just thrown up your hands and said Shit happens. The accident on the highway that took the family of eight on their way to the church picnic. The lightning strike that started the fire that burned down the house that Jack built - including Jack. Every kind of unintended calamity. Cells don't "think" how to assemble proteins - the nanomachines (mitochondria, mRNA etc.) are fed the molecules (amino acids) to build proteins with, through random collisions of all of the stuff floating around in the cell's goo (cytoplasm). Next time you're amazed by this, just throw your hands up and say Reactions happen. :cool: keeping in mind it's the same as saying Shit happens which, as we are applying it here, is also the same as acknowledging that a lot of stuff about life is uncaused - From the emergence, survival or extinction of species all the way down to the creation of new cells. Sure, existing cells have assets to replicate themselves, and the primordial sludge where first cells created themselves did not. But the belief that sludge can not synthesize certain molecules needed to create cells where non existed before is way way too strict a limit. And evidently it's wrong. First cells got here, after all.

If you get a chance to dig into Gould's theories a little deeper, I think you'll find something completely different. He's usually talking about mechanisms at higher levels than the population genetics and natural selection of Darwin's theory. Enzymes, by the way, are what cells use to operate on DNA and proteins. So all of that is already built into the lowest level cellular processes. But spandrels is also his explanation for the reason that certain traits that are not relevant to the ones under pressure will jump in the car with the ones that are under pressure. Obviously there are many levels and perspectives to evolution.
I didn't mean to wake you up from your dream-state .... you can go back to listening to Dizzy again.
I must look up "spandrels" something new.
OK a cell is a machine nothing more. Well that is good, for life then could have started on Mercury after all. Just needs the right parts and put it together and away it will go like a well oiled machine. I think you are right about that; it is just getting through the complexity of the initial stages of raw chemicals to the budding cell and that part has not really been understood as yet. But it will come.
Thanks.

IMO, that is a wild guess. There are plenty of animals that have superior mental capacities to humans, albeit only specifically adapted to their environment.
yes, i've acknowledged this fact about 3 times already, but . . .
A fly can see infrared, a bat uses sonar, a cat can feel air pressure changes with it's whiskers, a pigeon uses the earth's magnetic field to navigate,
i would call these differences in degree, not of kind.
Man does have a larger brain and is able to imitate all the special abilities in nature and that versatility does set us apart from most other species, but we are by no means superior to all other animals in all respects.
in my opinion we possess more than "versatility".

opinions, the concept of god, questions about life and death, these are differences in kind not degree.
animals do not possess these things.
yes, humans share genetic material with every other known lifeform, this is biology.

OK a cell is a machine nothing more.
machines aren't alive and they will never come alive.
Well that is good, for life then could have started on Mercury after all. Just needs the right parts and put it together and away it will go like a well oiled machine. I think you are right about that; it is just getting through the complexity of the initial stages of raw chemicals to the budding cell and that part has not really been understood as yet. But it will come.
Thanks.
yes, it's easy enough to see how these atoms can arrange themselves and build up molecules like tinker toys.
the question is " will this arrangement work"?
things don't always work the way you picture them, and that's a fact.

Is language the only thing that sets us apart from other animals?

Marc Hauser wrote in his essay Origin of the Mind that “Charles Darwin argued in his 1871 book The Descent of Man that the difference between human and nonhuman minds is “one degree of no of kind.” Scholars have long upheld that view, pointing in recent years to genetic evidence showing that we share some 98 percent of our genes with chimpanzees. But if our shared genetic heritage can explain the evolutionary origin of the human mind, then why isn't a chimpanzee writing this essay, or singing backup for the Rolling Stones, or making a soufflé? Indeed, mounting evidence indicates that, in contrast to Darwin’s theory of continuity of mind between humans and other species, a profound gap separates our intellect from the animal kind.”

We share all of are genes with mental handicap people as well, yet some of them can't managed the intricacies of a toilet let alone writing essays or singing. Clearly it takes just a handful of genes to create or destroy human level intelligence so the 98% of the Chimps is more than enough, fuck a mouse shares 90% with us! Take the FOXP2 gene, very homologous amongst vertabrates but humans 3 point mutations on this gene from mice and only 2 away from chimps, just one defective copy of this gene in humans leads to an inability to develop human level grammar and vocal skills. That just One gene that is vital for human language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k27DfgKGVp8&list=PLB773EA908D3E70D1

yes, i've acknowledged this fact about 3 times already, but . . .

i would call these differences in degree, not of kind.

in my opinion we possess more than "versatility".

opinions, the concept of god, questions about life and death, these are differences in kind not degree.
animals do not possess these things.
Yes we are talking about superior intellect, no? That means a matter of degree, not a unique quality in and of itself.
yes, humans share genetic material with every other known lifeform, this is biology.
There is your answer, unless you are still talking about 'intelligent design" or "irreducible complexity" of humans.

yes, it's easy enough to see how these atoms can arrange themselves and build up molecules like tinker toys.
the question is " will this arrangement work"?
things don't always work the way you picture them, and that's a fact.
Right, and that is where natural selection comes into the picture. If an arrangement does not work it usually results in removal from the gene pool.

They will eventually. We have already made RNA "machines" that replicate forever given the right food. We are close to making machines can make all the parts for a copy of itself. So it won't be long before machines can:

-replicate themselves using the right raw materials (i.e. "food")
-respond to their environment (tropisms)
-have heritable traits (i.e. the instructions to make a new machine)

Once we reach that point it will be very hard to define machine life as different from biological life. Even today we have computer viruses that are basically equivalent to biological viruses. (Neither is alive but they're close.)

I love when people say some technology or another will never come to be, it reminds me of all those times people said things like "Man will never fly" or "They will never replace the horse", etc.

We share all of are genes with mental handicap people as well, yet some of them can't managed the intricacies of a toilet let alone writing essays or singing. Clearly it takes just a handful of genes to create or destroy human level intelligence so the 98% of the Chimps is more than enough, fuck a mouse shares 90% with us! Take the FOXP2 gene, very homologous amongst vertabrates but humans 3 point mutations on this gene from mice and only 2 away from chimps, just one defective copy of this gene in humans leads to an inability to develop human level grammar and vocal skills. That just One gene that is vital for human language.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=k27DfgKGVp8&list=PLB773EA908D3E70D1

Very interesting.

Thank you!

still?
i was never talking about these things.

Sorry, my mistake? I'll modify it to apply to those who do

Leopold,

And that does not convince you of an evolutionary process of life on earth, faster here , slower there. It depends on environmental pressures.
It is the evolutionary process of shaping life from simple to complex organisms. To my knowledge there is no competing theory except Intelligent Design and Irreducible Complexity. Both implying that evolution did not happen as per Darwinian evolutionary processes or, if they do, that we should thank our Intelligent Creator for this marvelously mathematical process which allows so many variables to be expressed from humble beginnings.

They will eventually. We have already made RNA "machines" that replicate forever given the right food. We are close to making machines can make all the parts for a copy of itself. So it won't be long before machines can:

-replicate themselves using the right raw materials (i.e. "food")
-respond to their environment (tropisms)
-have heritable traits (i.e. the instructions to make a new machine)

Once we reach that point it will be very hard to define machine life as different from biological life. Even today we have computer viruses that are basically equivalent to biological viruses. (Neither is alive but they're close.)
One that will get its own food would be great.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back