Denial of Evolution VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
let's take the one on the right, PE.
in my opinion all of the humps are separate species.
the functional disparity would be at the "junction" of the 2 tines and to a lesser extent between all species graphed.
macroevolution would be the species at the bottom turning into either of the 2 tine tips.
it doesn't show a gradual accumulation of changes and is apparently pronounced at the "split" between tines.
the junction is probably what gould was talking about when he mentioned functional disparity.

From that explanation it sounds like they concluded that macroevolution consists of an accumulation of speciation events. From the pic it looks like they were pretty sure that the regular tempo of gradualism needs to be replaced with the ragged one (PE). The reason I brought this up was to get you to consider this against your opinion

speciation wasn't discarded but they had no conclusion on how much of this speciation applied to macroievolution.

But you don't get that at all from the pic. That's why I think you misunderstood:

The central question of the Chicago conference was whether the mechanisms underlying microevolution can be extrapolated to explain the phenomena of macroevolution.

I say this because I think since you first started posting this (2011?) you have been thinking they said:

The central question of the Chicago conference was whether microevolution can be extrapolated to explain the phenomena of macroevolution.

which is not at all what the pic says. That leaves it to figure out what Lewin meant when he said:

the mechanisms underlying microevolution

i don't know, the universe is a very big place and i fail to believe our natural laws will hold true everywhere in it.
the only thing i keep coming back to is life is infinite and/or it employs an interdimensional effect.
like einstein said:
not only is the universe stranger than we imagine, it's stranger than we CAN imagine.

This is a most wonderful "non-answer," leopold.
Just kidding. ;)

So.
Do you believe that "everything" must have an answer?
Science doesn't fail to give us answers. I'm not of the opinion that an absence of "answers" automatically points to "evidence" of a Creator.

But, are you content in the "not knowing?"
From your posts at times, one might construe that you do believe in a Creator.

Thus, my only motivation in asking you that question. :)
Thank you for clarifying your "position."

Faith in God requires you believe in something that is not easily subject to investigation. What this belief did for human evolution is it caused humans to depart from natural selection. In other words, if you were hallucinating, you would lose connection to the natural cause and effect of physical reality, by continuing to react to what is being generated internally by the brain. Instinct is not programmed for this. This adds a wild card which cause departure from natural instinct and therefore leaves natural evolution via the personality firmware. We can place an animal in a new environment and his instincts still work. But say we added projected images onto what he sees? The instinct still work but his decisions are no longer exclusively based on physical things.

As an example, invention begins as something that does not yet exist in physical reality, but may exist in the future. It begins as not being part of physical reality where it can be seen, heard of touched. The natural man does not have a clue of this ethereal image becoming tangible in the future, but forever remains in the present slowly changing through natural selection. Even in science, if you come up with a new idea, the natural man can't get it until you present it in tangible form. Then everyone is an expert. The new creature became part of the creation process making the future the present, with the natural man only reacting after the fact.

Shouldn't we all value truth? Humans may need fantasy, but Rav, it’s not the space-faring teapots that concern atheists, it’s the tea that’s being served.

Great scene!

Human desire is insatiable. Notice how in this little literary piecemeal, desire becomes separate from need. It was good for food, but it was to "be desired" to make one wise. Knowledge then becomes the object of desire, but neither food, nor knowledge is the means to an end, but rather that, which sets our desire in motion. Then BAM, YE SHALL BE AS GODS. This is an extreme kind of false sense of self, don’t cha think? I do not want to be a part of this collective fantasy.

Either do I.

“I can imagine a religion saying that matter and energy is God. It’s a beautiful thought, but instead of understanding what you are, you want to be what you’re not. However, it’s just because they don’t understand how precious, and absolutely incredible matter is, or how precious you are, and it is sad. Just because we can understand feelings from a material point of view, people view it as though it somehow demeans our nature, but instead, it says that we are one with everything else. What more could you possibly ask for?” ~ Rodolfo Llinas

Great quote!

Excellent point!

Nevertheless, however much I might embrace such ideals myself, I still feel compelled to be pragmatic. Why? Because first of all I sincerely doubt that it's even possible to eradicate any and all theistically inclined philosophical stances anyway and second of all I still don't actually really believe that such people are truly harming themselves or anyone else in any significant way, or even at all (assuming we are still just talking about people who practice some sort of moderate freestyle theism that they mostly just keep to themselves, rather than hardcore religious fundamentalists). I mean really, I have many friends and acquaintances who believe in one sort of god or another and I honestly can't detect any negative impact such beliefs might be having on them or anyone around them. In fact all the usual bullshit that is typically associated with human interaction in general that occasionally bubbles to the surface is far more significant, and atheists certainly aren't immune to that. As such, I think far more good could be done in the world if we focused on teaching people how to more effectively negotiate the emotional minefield of human relationships. In fact if we want to talk about fantasy and/or delusion and whether or not it is psychologically healthy there's scarcely a richer place to look.

But aside from all that, I'm sure we agree on what the primary targets should be anyway.

I thoroughly enjoyed reading your post.

It's me who should be praising you! You've been playing this game with such patience, and such class, for so long now, you seem almost superhuman to me. In addition to that you're an excellent source of knowledge and perspective and I thank you for sharing both.

Nevertheless, however much I might embrace such ideals myself, I still feel compelled to be pragmatic. Why? Because first of all I sincerely doubt that it's even possible to eradicate any and all theistically inclined philosophical stances anyway and second of all I still don't actually really believe that such people are truly harming themselves or anyone else in any significant way, or even at all (assuming we are still just talking about people who practice some sort of moderate freestyle theism that they mostly just keep to themselves, rather than hardcore religious fundamentalists). I mean really, I have many friends and acquaintances who believe in one sort of god or another and I honestly can't detect any negative impact such beliefs might be having on them or anyone around them. In fact all the usual bullshit that is typically associated with human interaction in general that occasionally bubbles to the surface is far more significant, and atheists certainly aren't immune to that. As such, I think far more good could be done in the world if we focused on teaching people how to more effectively negotiate the emotional minefield of human relationships. In fact if we want to talk about fantasy and/or delusion and whether or not it is psychologically healthy there's scarcely a richer place to look.

Bolded for emphasis, by me.

This is beautifully said!

It's me who should be praising you! You've been playing this game with such patience, and such class, for so long now, you seem almost superhuman to me. In addition to that you're an excellent source of knowledge and perspective and I thank you for sharing both.

I am not worthy, not even to wash the feet of a person capable of articulating what you just said. Anyone can post facts. Very few people can actually move us with words the way you did. It's nothing short of literary genius, not only to be held up as a model for writing, but as a refection of what it means to simply be a human being. Kudos, rav.

. . . now let me wipe that slobber off your big toe :p

Got it. :D

. . . now back to the pissing contest :argue:

leopold said:
the universe is a very big place and i fail to believe our natural laws will hold true everywhere in it.

I have a hard time doubting it, especially considering the vast data from probes and telescopes which corroborate the laws of gravity and electromagnetics, the laws of chemistry and thermodynamics, and everything in physics from kinematics to particle interactions.

That's why am so skeptical of the skepticism of science. After all, what else is there?

If we're going to compare annecdotal evidence, I have had the opposite experience.

I too grew up in a religious houshold and attended a catholic school. I've attended Catholic churches, Presbyterian churches, baptist churches, churches bordering on evangelical with the whole singing and dancing and laying on of hands schtick, I was baptised as an adult by a baptist church, I've also attended mormon churches and the salvation army church, and at every single one of them it was reinforced the consequences of non-belief and disobedience were eternal damnation.

It is prolific enough that I know some very good people whos overwhelming generosity helped me through one of the hardest patches of my life (facing the possibility of loosing my wife and/or unborn son through complications in pregnancy) who refer to it as "The hellfire and damnation" or "Doom and Gloom" sermon style. They, incidentally, find it every bit as objectional as I do.

And if your wondering, no, I am not currently religious. I walked away from the church and my faith and embraced atheism for reasons which I don't feel like discussing.

I hope all is well with you, Trippy. You too are one of the many great voices I enjoy reading here. As I read what you just described, I was imagining how, on the one hand an early life religious indoctrination can encourage a person to seek truth - and this can motivate a very earnest budding scientist, while on the other hand when the conflict between the concept of a personal God and the cruelty of an impersonal Nature comes home to roost, there is likely to be plenty of fire in a person not only to turn away from the teachings, but to attack the study of science as a expression of our inner being. That may sound a little melodramatic but your posts reflect that spark. It's occurring to me even as I reply that the trend in posts here over the last few days gives serves as direct evidence, in real time, that when science professionals are so glibly disparaged by the Creation Science school (when they're not lifting quotes the way they have exploited Gould & Lewin), we can see the stupidity and dishonesty of it. They need only come here and talk to you the way I have to realize how wrong they are.

From that explanation it sounds like they concluded that macroevolution consists of an accumulation of speciation events. From the pic it looks like they were pretty sure that the regular tempo of gradualism needs to be replaced with the ragged one (PE). The reason I brought this up was to get you to consider this against your opinion

But you don't get that at all from the pic. That's why I think you misunderstood:

I say this because I think since you first started posting this (2011?) you have been thinking they said:

which is not at all what the pic says. That leaves it to figure out what Lewin meant when he said:
it was never directly stated what evidence the committee used in their conclusion but the fossil record and various mechanisms of evolution were discussed.
i assume it was the fossil record.

This is a most wonderful "non-answer," leopold.
Just kidding. ;)
i don't know any other answer to give you.

So.
Do you believe that "everything" must have an answer?
i believe everything most likely has a cause.
cause and effect seems easy enough to explain.
But, are you content in the "not knowing?"
sometimes i spend a lot of thought on the subject but it makes me neither content or sad.
From your posts at times, one might construe that you do believe in a Creator.
dig up one of these posts and i'll elaborate.

I hope all is well with you, Trippy. You too are one of the many great voices I enjoy reading here. As I read what you just described, I was imagining how, on the one hand an early life religious indoctrination can encourage a person to seek truth - and this can motivate a very earnest budding scientist, while on the other hand when the conflict between the concept of a personal God and the cruelty of an impersonal Nature comes home to roost, there is likely to be plenty of fire in a person not only to turn away from the teachings, but to attack the study of science as a expression of our inner being.
Even though I can remember (at one point) deciding I wanted to be a priest, I've always been fascinated by science. I can remember when I was 7 or 8 years old I had my life all planned out. I was going to go to university, study science, get my PhD, work for NASA and have made my first million by the time I was 30. At the same time my parents bought me the "Disney's Wonderful World of Science", and I remember I they also bought a set of second hand magazines. The name of them escapes me, but by the time I was ten years old I was able to describe the effects of relativity and could tell you what the lorentz transformations were (As well as explain things such as Alvarez's impact hypothesis). Although my parents were religous (at lest then they were) they encouraged rather than discouraged my passion for science and did what they could to support it. I think my brain is just "wired" for science.

The unborn son that I mentioned is now three years old. One of the reasons why I found these peoples generosity so overwhelming at the time is because I had pretty much only just met them and they bent over backwards to accomodate me - they went as far as preparing meals for me to reduce the amount of work I had to do (I was already working fulltime and caring for my daughter). Now I am helping them fight the church, it's a long story, it has to do with the attitude of an old-school doom & gloom pastor towards money (he's entirely to obsessed with financial matters to be a shepherd IMHO).

That may sound a little melodramatic but your posts reflect that spark. It's occurring to me even as I reply that the trend in posts here over the last few days gives serves as direct evidence, in real time, that when science professionals are so glibly disparaged by the Creation Science school (when they're not lifting quotes the way they have exploited Gould & Lewin), we can see the stupidity and dishonesty of it. They need only come here and talk to you the way I have to realize how wrong they are.
You, sir, are a flatterer.

Just out of curiosity what exactly would convince the evos that their theory is false? Probably nothing. I mean does anybody really believe they are descended from a fish?
Nobody would believe that there is nobody writing this post, and yet this post is simple compared to the simplest bacterium. Somebody must have written this post and yet nobody wrote the DNA code for the simplest bacterium?
My argument from before still stands, children resemble their parents because they have received their genetic code from them. Everybody knows this.
No new information means no evolution. There are considered three major racial groups of mankind: white, black, and asian. Therefore, as we go forward in time there
will still be white, black, and asian people because it is simply different combinations of pre-existing genetic information. If we go back in time there were white, black, and asian people. Therefore, man has always existed in its present form and will continue to exist in its present form.
Just a question for the evos, what examples of beneficial mutations do we have of coming into existence and becoming widespread in a population?
The mutations must meet the following criteria:
1. It must be 'new'. It can't be part of the genetic variation that was built into the creation from the beginning.
2. It must produce some kind of noticeable advantage.
3. We know that it has become more widespread in the population because of this advantage.

Just out of curiosity what exactly would convince the evos that their theory is false? Probably nothing. I mean does anybody really believe they are descended from a fish?
Nobody would believe that there is nobody writing this post, and yet this post is simple compared to the simplest bacterium. Somebody must have written this post and yet nobody wrote the DNA code for the simplest bacterium?
My argument from before still stands, children resemble their parents because they have received their genetic code from them. Everybody knows this.
No new information means no evolution. There are considered three major racial groups of mankind: white, black, and asian. Therefore, as we go forward in time there
will still be white, black, and asian people because it is simply different combinations of pre-existing genetic information. If we go back in time there were white, black, and asian people. Therefore, man has always existed in its present form and will continue to exist in its present form.
Just a question for the evos, what examples of beneficial mutations do we have of coming into existence and becoming widespread in a population?
1. It must be 'new'. It can't be part of the genetic variation that was built into the creation from the beginning.
3. We know that it has become more widespread in the population because of this advantage.

When did you view the embryonic development stages of a human being ?

Just out of curiosity what exactly would convince the evos that their theory is false?
An act of special creation, like dogs giving birth to an population of animals with wheels or evidence that such an act like that happened in the past. Instead we have evidence that dogs and cats radiated from an ancestral population of non-dog, non-cat predatory mammals. Instead, we have man-like great apes shading into ape-like men in such perfect agreement with the hypothesis of stepwise change that even creationists don't consistently draw a line separating man from ape. It is not the "evos" who are willfully blind to the evidence.
Probably nothing.
It appears that your aforementioned curiosity is short-lived.
I mean does anybody really believe they are descended from a fish?
Geologists and Biologists of every stripe do. Neil Shubin wrote a book laying out your essential fishiness. Moreover, even ancient anatomists identified homologous structures in fish and men. It's not deceptive to call a fish-brain a brain or a fish-heart a heart or a fish-spine a spine or a fish-eye an eye. The analogies are exact in morphology, development and genetics. Surgeons practice on other mammals because our closer cousins are laid out similarly to us.
Then why did the DNA code for trillions of bacteria change over tens of thousands of generations in the long term experiment? Or why did the DNA code for other bacteria change to eat a food which never before existed in the natural world? Clearly this is evidence that the creation of complex traits is ongoing. Like the electron clinging to the proton, scientists hypothesized a natural mechanism with regular and predictable phenomena was the explanation. Experiment and observation comport with that predictive hypothesis. Now if you want to trivialize your purported author, you can have said author simultaneously upholding all or any natural phenomena in the natural universe -- deciding every roll of the dice in Vegas, ensuring your choice of sexual lubricant is has its rheology just so, but such an author seems pretty damn shy and subservient. Is it your position that when I flick on a light switch that I am making the author of mankind bend to my will and fiat lux? Medieval conceptions of said author as the lord of the universe would find that ridiculous (or blasphemous) and pretty much assumed that said author built systems that take care of themselves (via discoverable natural laws). The biology of humans depends on a great number of natural laws that work perfectly fine in settings far removed from the human body. Radioactive nuclei decay, chemical reactions tick, glycoproteins are sticky, elastic parts bounce, liquid things flow, etc. So if the biology of humans is so dependent on natural law, why not the origin of humans? You are making a special pleading that the origin of humans is special in the universe with nothing backing that up.

And by claiming humans have an author, each design defect in humans that inflicts suffering is attributable to such an author. Women, in your view, are built to suffer in childbirth, something that they simply don't have to do. Auto-immune disease is when the jury-rigged immune response decides to eat the body. Hare-lips, chromosomal abnormalities and mutations, horrific developmental deformities, getting hit in the testicles -- the suffering of humans from your purported author are great. And what's the plot? What great moral lesson should we take from all the different ways one can get cancer or express hemophilia?

But you also confuse complexity with evidence of design. Complexity in human-built systems results typically from lack of design. Streams meander in complex ways both in reality and in computer simulation, where the latter is mathematically devoid of design. Evolution and human design share a trial-and-error process to improve the product -- evolution is more likely to result in complexity because unlike human design evolution has no design principles to remove scaffolding and loose bits as long as they don't regularly get in the way. As a result, the giraffe vagus nerve takes a path no human designer would have OKed. The history of life shows a history of off-label reuse, duplication and modification that comports to the evolution model. Thus, as with the assertion the personal intervention of the author of everything is required to make your mattress springs bounce up and down, the assertion that humans have an author indicts said author as someone who apes the process of pathetic natural evolution.

Your testicles are reused from other species with testicles hanging outside their bodies because they require lower-than-body temperatures for sperm to develop. Fish and amphibians have internal testes -- decent protection. Squirrels have retractable testicles -- a useful feature in the fight. So as you lie there on the ground, curled up in a fetal position, you have to ask yourself how your author is to be known from such work?

No new information means no evolution.
Actually, shuffled information is new information. Mutated information is new information. Information with new duplicated sequences is new information. Your argument appears to be based on ignorance and a non sequitur and thus does not stand, now or ever.

There are considered three major racial groups of mankind: white, black, and asian.
Racist partitioning of humanity by skin color is ignorant. The pattern of human populations is far different than you assume. Australians, South Americans, Hawaiians, Pygmies, the list goes on. Moreover, where populations cluster in tribal patterns (like "the French") those populations have reasonable good clustering in a cladogram. http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Race_and_genetics

Therefore, as we go forward in time there will still be white, black, and asian people because it is simply different combinations of pre-existing genetic information.
So where does Tiger Woods, the mestizos of Mexico, and countless other reshufflings of formerly separate gene pools fit into your ignorant view?
If we go back in time there were white, black, and asian people. Therefore, man has always existed in its present form and will continue to exist in its present form.
Since "man has always existed in its present form" you eliminate your proposal that man needs an author. Since "[man] will continue to exist in its present form" you eliminate the need to give famine relief or worry about genocide. You have asserted ignorance and in ignorance defeat your own proposal.

There is considerable tension between 1 and 3 -- if it's fixed you will claim it has always been fixed. If its new and has not had time to be fixed, you will claim it is not advantageous enough to be fixed.

However, we have seen some traits evolve in the last 100 years: Nylon-precursor-eating bacteria, E. Coli evolving to eat citrate in the presence of oxygen. And of course there are examples of mutations leading to new traits in historical times -- nearly every pest, bug and bacteria that evolves resistance to the chemicals that we try to kill it with is a newly mutated trait. See also Other New traits

And some humans have adaptations that makes them distinct from other groups: Some East Africans have adaptations for long-distance running while some West African populations have adapations for sprinting.

Not yet widely fixed: humans with super-dense bones, humans with myotonic hypertrophy. But both are heritable.

Last edited:
Speaking again of those contributors who are worthy of praise, see directly above.

the "mutation" might not be noticeable.
have you read goulds paper on spandrels?
he was discussing "bone formations" with architectural analogies.
are you familiar with molecular evo?
i submit that the "spandrels" suggested by gould could actually be happening at the molecular level.
various molecules are doing what gould proposed but at a much smaller scale.
with the right "framework" in place all that would be needed is a catalyst or enzyme to complete the process.
the above is my opinion but it makes sense.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back