Denial of Evolution VI.

Status
Not open for further replies.
leopold said:
the debate was whether the process of microevolution can be extrapolated to macroevolution.
definition of macroevolution:
http://evolution.berkeley.edu/evolib...0/evoscales_04
their conclusion was a clear no.
As was pointed out to you back on page 21, this conception of macroevolution is useless to you. The fact that recently the serious researchers in the field seem to have demonstrated that once an equilibrium has been closely approached in a given environment

once gradual evolution has produced an ecosystem of species well fitted, occupied most of the easily reached niches with organisms,

natural selection in this given environment tends to stabilize most of these species and prevent further large evolutionary changes in them, so that some kind of "punctuation" event (a sudden change in the "given" environment, from any of a variety of possible sources) is necessary for further large scale rapid speciation among the organisms that have so well adapted,

is interesting, but not an argument against natural selection or Darwinian evolution thereby. It is a property of the mechanism of Darwinian evolution, an emergent feedback effect, and it depends on the existence and ordinary workings of Darwinian evolution.

The punctuation observers ended up demonstrating that Darwinian mechanism is a more powerful agent of far more rapid evolutionary change than had been assumed, and that the stability we see is rapidly attained and dynamically maintained by its continual pressure rather than being a lull in its effects. That is not an argument against Darwinian evolution.

wellwisher said:
In another post, I talked about Yellow Stone National Park in the USA, and the huge million plus acre forest fire, years back, and how in a few short years after, different life appears to take over the burnt forest. Now Yellowstone is totally different being more meadows and small trees and the life that supports. It is no longer old world forest.
This is a misconception. The Yellowstone fires were a repetition of a regular occurrence in the area (the forest was long overdue for its regular burn) and the current landscape is a recurring stage in the life cycle of the ecosystem involved. Whether it will undergo the same successional development as before (eventually returning to the wide expanses of even aged and flammable trees the white folks encountered, ready to burn again), is unknown, due to the many influences of people - a new factor - but the burn itself and the resulting landscape are not "totally different" from the norm for the area.

There is a more fundamental misunderstanding in play here. The genetic isolation JamesR referred to is what defines speciation - the divergent group is no longer breeding within the ancestral group, as most remarkably evident in the case of Darwin's finches. Nothing better illustrates this than the stranding of the first finch on the Galapagos and the emergence of the many new forms that will not interbreed, each adapted to a particular food source for which there was evidently no competition. In parallel to this were the adaptations of the terrestrial iguana to the most unusual of survival traits - diving for seaweed. Additionally Galapagos turtles had adapted to conditions local to the particular island they inhabited (long vs short neck to subsist on short vs tall plants). Is this microevolution or macroevolution?
this is micro evolution.
it was the conclusion of these scientists that this process can't be extrapolated to macro evolution.
Before you consider that, answer this: are Darwin's finches a case of gradualism or punctuated equilibrium? They are new species, and the key to understanding evolution by natural selection. Once we have this viable mechanism in place to explain what happened on Galapagos, does it really matter what Gould, Ayala or Lewin have added to the mix?
there were 50 there, not just 3 or 4 or 10.
don't you understand?
these scientists FOUND NO EVIDENCE for accumulating changes that lead to macro evolution.
these scientists had almost 200 years to find this stuff and it simply wasn't forthcoming.
to imply that we have all these wonderful transitional fossils that explains evolution is simply untrue.
Has anything they said really changed our understanding that evolution, as Darwin explained it, is fundamentally correct?
see immediately above.

you can call this creationist until your tongue rots but it changes nothing.

Every time you speak, you're wrong about something. If only you didn't feel the need to defend such an absurd position you'd probably manage to be right about a few things here and there, just like the rest of us. But I guess this is just the damage that creationists do to what might otherwise be intellectually healthy individuals. Such a shame. And I really mean that.

Anyway, just to help James put this one small thing to rest:

[video=vimeo;69369869]https://vimeo.com/69369869[/video]

Thankyou Rav. Just... Thankyou...
(I've encountered this very problem many times when selecting stuff from PDFs).

leopold

don't you understand?
these scientists FOUND NO EVIDENCE for accumulating changes that lead to macro evolution.
these scientists had almost 200 years to find this stuff and it simply wasn't forthcoming.
to imply that we have all these wonderful transitional fossils that explains evolution is simply untrue.

And all 50 of them had insufficient information to come to any such conclusions, all 50 of them were wrong, as more than 3 decades of advances in science have shown. Their 200 years does not erase the 3 decades after the paper, 3 decades of new science and better tools applied to new fossil sources not available before then. We do have all these wonderful transitional fossils and they do explain evolution. You have nothing.

Grumpy:cool:

don't you understand?
Fifty scientists drawing conclusions on incomplete information.
Don't you understand?
In the last 30 years there have been advancements in science, technology and new fossils discovered that were undreamed of 50 years ago.
As we continue to explore the world by looking in areas where we have looked before with new eyes, areas we have never looked before, and even at things we have already collected we will continue to make new discoveries and we will continue to fill in gaps that exist even today.

I've given you seven very specific examples of transitional fossils that have been discovered since 1983 and you have yet to address that in anything even approaching a meaningful fashion.

Thankyou Rav. Just... Thankyou...
(I've encountered this very problem many times when selecting stuff from PDFs).
well what do you know, it works.
it appears i did indeed lift the page number, which is even better because it places the onus DIRECTLY on paleontologists, those that are EXPERTS on fossils.

I've given you seven very specific examples of transitional fossils that have been discovered since 1983 and you have yet to address that in anything even approaching a meaningful fashion.
we were led to believe we had them before.
the article proves it.

we were led to believe we had them before.
the article proves it.

Bullshit.
That was (in some cases anyway) the list that Rav provided. The 7 I mentioned were 7 that have been discovered since 1983, I even provided you with the dates of discovery.

By the way, it was me that pointed out that Rav's list included discoveries predating 1983 so don't try an pull that one over me, it won't work and makes you look like a liar.

Here's my list again.
You expect me to provide you with a list of transitional fossils discovered in the last thirty years?

Realisticaly, I only need to provide one to disprove your hypothesis.

Transition between Fishes and land animals? Tiktaalik! I choose you! (2004)
Transitional phase between Freshwater and Marine habitats in Cetaceans? Abulocetus natans! I choose you! (1994)
Transition between terrestrial habitation and aquatic habitation Sea cows? Pezosiren portelli! I choose you! (2001)
Transition between Mammals and Reptiles? Morganucodon, Hadrocodium wui, Repenomamus and Gobicondon! I choose you (all chinese, c2001).

I need one example of a transitional fossil that has been discovered in the last thirty years. I've given you seven.
All discovered between 1994 and 2004.

And, my mistake, it was randwolf, not Rav that provided the more complete list.

well what do you know, it works.
it appears i did indeed lift the page number, which is even better because it places the onus DIRECTLY on paleontologists, those that are EXPERTS on fossils.
What it shows that you didn't have a clue as to what you copied and pasted. What a maroon.

leopold

And all 50 of them had insufficient information to come to any such conclusions, . . .
what, exactly do you think they were missing, besides the fossils?
don't you think they would have ruled inconclusive instead?
this is a CLEAR NO, CLEAR as in plain as day.
1983, phds, paleontologists, these people were not stupid grumpy and it was/is a hot button topic and it was STILL a clear no.
these people KNEW they did not have the fossils, it's the ONLY way they could have reached their conclusion.
they CLEARLY did not have them.

Bullshit.
That was (in some cases anyway) the list that Rav provided. The 7 I mentioned were 7 that have been discovered since 1983, I even provided you with the dates of discovery.

By the way, it was me that pointed out that Rav's list included discoveries predating 1983 so don't try an pull that one over me, it won't work and makes you look like a liar.
how many "transitional fossils" have you seen or heard of pre 1983?
these scientists implied these fossils don't exist by their conclusion.

You guys have pointed out leopolds misconceptions maybe 10 times and he still does not get it. I am going to go out on a limb here and say that he will not get it after the next 10 times his glaring misconceptions are pointed out.:rolleyes:

You guys have pointed out leopolds misconceptions maybe 10 times and he still does not get it.
in all honesty origin what does the article say to you about the conclusion and why they reached it.
if yoiu say inadequate information/ data then what was this information/ data?
these people seen, by the record that microevolution can't be extrapolated to macroevolution.
instead of saying, no, liar, creationist, dumbass how about a little thought on an answer.

edit:
let's see if anyone else gets it.

Last edited:
how many "transitional fossils" have you seen or heard of pre 1983?
these scientists implied these fossils don't exist by their conclusion.

Randwolf posted a list for you of transitional fossils that includes transitional fossils from pre 1983. For example, Randwolf's list had Archeopteryx on it. Archeopteryx is one of the transitional fossils in the evolution of birds from dinosaurs. Archeopteryx was discovered in 1907.

I only need to provide one example to debunk you, and I'm choosing that one.

Addendum:
Here is Randwolfs list: Randwolfs list of transitional fossils

It contains transitional fossils that both pre and post date 1983.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back