Democracy or Dictatorship

Which would you support?

• Democracy!

Votes: 14 73.7%
  • Dictatorship!

Votes: 5 26.3%

• Total voters
doreen, i look at precedence and there are numerous examples. with che it is the jimi hendrix syndrome, he never got old so we look at things differently. never got old to become an old fart and all the stuff written about him is by what people want to believe. it is romanticized, sells movies and books but that is not reality.

doreen, i look at precedence and there are numerous examples. with che it is the jimi hendrix syndrome, he never got old so we look at things differently. never got old to become an old fart and all the stuff written about him is by what people want to believe. it is romanticized, sells movies and books but that is not reality.
Again. We do know that he went off and started another revolution, or tried to in Bolivia. Your assumption about what he would do is your fantasy. An anti-romance. I have no romantic assumptions about Che Guevera. I did not like his politics, though I did agree that the regime he fought in Cuba was an evil one. He might have gone on to be a dictator somewhere. But rushing off to Bolivia to start a second revolution from the ground up, the exact process he went through in Cuba, was not going to lead to him being dicatator UNLESS HE DID SOMETHING HE DID NOT DO IN CUBA. I think it is possible he would have become a dictator somewhere. I also think he might not and see no reason to assume he would given how he lived.

The Jimmy Hendrix syndrome makes very little sense in this context.

Sandy, you fail reading comprehension.

The first. Working for things is better than having them given to you. There is more self-reliance, dignity, pride, and sense of accomplishment.
Reading the OP, I didn't get the impression that the "benevolent dictator" was going to give you a handout. It seemed clear that you're still going to have to work for what you get. The difference is that now you have a chance to work in a decent job rather than being unfairly shut out of decent jobs due to your social standing. Perhaps Michael will correct me if I'm wrong here.
In the first group you have the freedom to organize, to rebel, to make yourself/situation better.
Did you read the OP? It's a premise of the scenario that things are NOT going to get better, so a chance to organize, make your situation better, etc. is irrelevant.
The only good part about the second choice is getting rid of criminals.
Again, did you read the OP? Because getting rid of criminals was very clearly not the only good thing in it for you.
Your freedom to vote is one of your greatest gifts.
Voting is not an end unto itself; the purpose of voting is to allow you to help pick a leader that's good for you. The premise of the scenario posed in the OP is that your right to vote will never allow you to improve your life in any meaningful way, and that the dictator will be better for your quality of life than anyone you could ever elect into office. Given that scenario, it would clearly be better to go with the dictator, because you will end up with a leader who is better for you.
Too bad so many people don't realize that. Life under a dictator is sh*t. Look at Sudan, Iraq, Iran, North Korean, Venezuela, Cuba, China, Saudi Arabia, Burma, Zimbabwe, Libya, Syria etc... All hellholes.
And once again, go re-read the OP. It's stated as a premise of the scenario that life will be better for you under the dictator.

Has there ever, in all of History, been a Republic that wasn't an Oligarchy???

I know a number of younger Americans who would gladly trade their miserable life in our Republic for a slightly better one under a Dictator - especially id they didn't realize it was a Dictatorship. It goes to what is important to people. And while not everyone identifies themselves with their job, most people do. What are you? I'm a Policeman. I'm a teacher. I'm a Plumber. I'm a Banking CEO.... etc... it's a very prominent and common perception.

Has there ever, in all of History, been a Republic that wasn't an Oligarchy???
Perhaps on very small scales.
I know a number of younger Americans who would gladly trade their miserable life in our Republic for a slightly better one under a Dictator - especially id they didn't realize it was a Dictatorship. It goes to what is important to people. And while not everyone identifies themselves with their job, most people do. What are you? I'm a Policeman. I'm a teacher. I'm a Plumber. I'm a Banking CEO.... etc... it's a very prominent and common perception.
I'm sure. I mean there's always been a strong pull to populist fascism: it's part of Bush's appeal. Kind of cake and eat it too....we can talk about freedom and democracy and have a leader with the intentions and vibe of a dictator at the same time. The really sad thing is that the liberals and the left think their leaders are somehow different.

haha... just how small? I'm envisioning a Republic of One!

I'm sure. I mean there's always been a strong pull to populist fascism: it's part of Bush's appeal. Kind of cake and eat it too....we can talk about freedom and democracy and have a leader with the intentions and vibe of a dictator at the same time. The really sad thing is that the liberals and the left think their leaders are somehow different.
Perhaps at certain times and under certain conditions a Fascist State is a better place to live, for more people, than a Republic? And then at other times it isn't.

In my experience about 9-15% of people will, if given the chance (Freedom), screw the system. When you have a Dictator then about 8% will figure out the new rules of the game and try to screw the system. I know, because I am a Dictator, of a sorts :) It is the ONLY means of accomplishing what I do - Lecturing :) I have found that when I am easy I have a HUGE number of Deferred Exams 12%. When I hammer them with a Wall (AKA: A mess of paperwork and threats...) still 5% will figure it out *Grrr*

So what I do is have the Deferred 1st test after the test 2 during the same day and period. Haaa! I STILL had one student try to take the deferred AND pretend they were too sick to take the preceding test-2!! Which THEN I can finally call BS on the Medical Certificate and not worry about slander :) If you are good to take the deferred then you are good to take the test2...

You should read a book called Anthem. It's about a man in a communist land who finds freedom and is happy about it. If you don't think communism relates to dictatorship think Stalin.

The point being, there will ALWAYS be a percentage of incompetent boobs that screw the system! IMO they are the reason WHY a Republic is best. BUT, what if we no longer can tell who is and who is not the boob? Then, maybe a Fascist State is better, for a while anyway.

haha... just how small? I'm envisioning a Republic of One!
Me, I miss my tribe.

Perhaps at certain times and under certain conditions a Fascist State is a better place to live, for more people, than a Republic? And then at other times it isn't.
A lot of people do not want to be free. Perhaps they use the word freedom, but the word enters their brain and triggers images and feelings that basically mean 'mmmmm good'. But they want to be told what to do by their church, their government, experts, pundits....whomever. They don't have a creative bone in their bodies and think choosing between Arby's and Burger King is freedom.

In my experience about 9-15% of people will, if given the chance (Freedom), screw the system. When you have a Dictator then about 8% will figure out the new rules of the game and try to screw the system. I know, because I am a Dictator, of a sorts :) It is the ONLY means of accomplishing what I do - Lecturing :) I have found that when I am easy I have a HUGE number of Deferred Exams 12%. When I hammer them with a Wall (AKA: A mess of paperwork and threats...) still 5% will figure it out *Grrr*

So what I do is have the Deferred 1st test after the test 2 during the same day and period. Haaa! I STILL had one student try to take the deferred AND pretend they were too sick to take the preceding test-2!! Which THEN I can finally call BS on the Medical Certificate and not worry about slander :) If you are good to take the deferred then you are good to take the test2...

It's odd the way we expect people to know what to do with freedom when we spend so many years putting them in rooms with people who have all the power.

I see what your saying BUT... nazi Germany was a fascist state. And they had an evil man in charge. Would you really want to take that risk?

There's a movie called "The Patriot" with Mel Gibson. And to quote it "Why would I trade a tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants 1 mile away". It supports what your saying. That a dictatorship would be better than a republic. Do I beleive that? No. Does it make sense? Yes.

I see what your saying BUT... nazi Germany was a fascist state. And they had an evil man in charge. Would you really want to take that risk?
I think you are reponding to michael, but I'm not sure. It would help (me, anyway) if you quoted whatever you are responding to.

That is a risk isn't it? Maybe we are taking it even as we speak???

And to quote it "Why would I trade a tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants 1 mile away". It supports what your saying. That a dictatorship would be better than a republic. Do I beleive that? No. Does it make sense? Yes.

Fallacious statement. it depends on the tyrant. we are all tyrants, in our own way...and to a certain extent. for the most part.

Back