Defining what is God.

Carefully. Yet they can be explained and the dropout and the jungle tribesman both can potentially learn of data that exists in reality and understand it.

Again, you've provided an analogy that fails miserably and can be discarded. Perhaps you can outline your "general principles" which demonstrate your delusions?

Carefully. Yet they can be explained and the dropout and the jungle tribesman both can potentially learn of data that exists in reality and understand it.

Again, you've provided an analogy that fails miserably and can be discarded. Perhaps you can outline your "general principles" which demonstrate your delusions?
potentially - yes
practically - no

how many phone company traineeships get taken up by such persons?

in other words as long as you expect to understand everything by hearing without an ounce of doing, or practical application, you will never understand

Your analogy does not work. The number of trainees is irrelevant. It is enough to deflate and destroy your weak argument that you even acknowledge the potentiality. QED.

Many things can be described as both impractical and real. Your analogy assumes that because the impractical equates to "not able" with regard to teaching someone about that which they are ignorant.

Your analogy fails not because impractical equates to rational but because rationality is sacrificed by intellectual dishonesty. Rather than admit that your arguments don't hold up, you retreat to the cowardly position that your critics aren't capable of learning your secret knowledge because they're ignorant.

You go on and on crying and bitching about how the big, bad moderator has "ad hom'd" you, but you do the very same thing by calling your critics stupid.

And I ask every single person that has read this thread to offer their opinion on LG's analogy as he stated above: is my criticism fair?

Many things can be described as both impractical and real. Your analogy assumes that because the impractical equates to "not able" with regard to teaching someone about that which they are ignorant.
the analogy illustrates a lack of meeting required existential conditions for knowledge (let me take that out of philosophical or "most modern" language for you - existential conditions for knowledge - how you have to "be" in order to know something)

And I ask every single person that has read this thread to offer their opinion on LG's analogy as he stated above: is my criticism fair?
translation - OK all my atheist buddies!!! come on board and kick a theist in the groin with an array of ad homs while I hold him down with my mod ship powers!!!

the analogy illustrates a lack of meeting required existential conditions for knowledge (let me take that out of philosophical or "most modern" language for you - existential conditions for knowledge - how you have to "be" in order to know something)

Your assumption that because I dislike your psuedo-philosophical mumbo-jumbo equates to I have a lack of understanding is your biggest flaw. You state that to understand you requires existential conditions, yet you don't clarify exactly what these conditions are. In Sarte's terms, existential means that "man's existence precedes his essence," implying that people chose their self-identity.

But existentialism in no way implies that one can "know" something about a god that cannot be taught. Its utter poppycock. More than that, its a cowardly cop-out, used by pseudo-intellectuals to avoid having to define their positions and, ironically, their "general principles."

In the opening post, you cite St. Anselm (not even knowing his name) as defining god as "[t]hat enitity to whom no other entity can be be conceived of as greater." The original ontological argument doesn't work, however. It depends wholly on the fact that god must exist in order to work. If god doesn't exist, its just talk.

Anselm's argument amounted to more prayer and declaration of his faith than being able to convince anyone.
St. Anselm in Proslogion said:
For God is that than which a greater cannot be thought, and whoever understands this rightly must understand that he exists in such a way that he cannot be non-existent even in thought
From there he end's his argument with shameless, even groveling devotionals to his imaginary "perfect being." Earlier in his argument, however, he reveals the nonsense as surely as some have attempted in this very thread:
St. Anselm in Proslogion said:
And certainly it exists so truly that it cannot be though of as nonexistent. For something can be though of as existing, which cannot be thought of as not existing, and this is greater than that which can be thought of as not existing. Thus if that than which a greater cannot be though can be thought of as not existing, this very thing than which a greater cannot be thought is not that than which a greater cannot be thought. But this is contradictory. So, then, there truly is a being than which a greater cannot be thought -so truly that it cannot even be thought of as not existing.

But "existing" isn't a genuine characteristic. If I can imagine $100 US in my shoe box and you show me $100 in a your shoe box, clearly the both have the same characteristics: they're in US funds; they have the same amount of cents. But only the $100 in your shoe box will buy you dinner and a new pair of shoes.

And like the god you can imagine versus one that is real, only the real god is worth anything. Except, that bastard won't show himself.

And if your nonsensical argument (which really isn't yours, but St Anselm's and Descartes') had any "proof" or substance to it, it would have the power to convince those that aren't already convinced.

Thus, the ontological argument is discarded as just so much nonsense and I've just given up 10 minutes of my life that I'll never get back troubling myself to refute it. But since this silly thread has gone on 28 pages and none of the pro-god arguments have made any sense, perhaps those that were skeptical of the ontological poppycock will see it in a new light and with a little more understanding.

translation - OK all my atheist buddies!!! come on board and kick a theist in the groin with an array of ad homs while I hold him down with my mod ship powers!!!

Your intellectual cowardice makes the implication that my "mod ship powers" have any influence on the masses here at sciforums. Indeed, you insult "my atheist buddies" with the very words, obviously intended to poison the well so that if someone does criticize you, you can accuse them of lining up behind the big, bad mod with his awesome powers.

Your bitching and crying about that is getting old. Either you're able to defend your nonsense or you aren't. If not, no problem. No one with think less of you if you simply fade away from a given argument. Instead, you demonstrate your intellectual cowardice and retreat to the only defensive position you can muster: "the big, bad mod is ad homing me".

Skinwalker

Originally Posted by lightgigantic

Your assumption that because I dislike your psuedo-philosophical mumbo-jumbo equates to I have a lack of understanding is your biggest flaw. You state that to understand you requires existential conditions, yet you don't clarify exactly what these conditions are. In Sarte's terms, existential means that "man's existence precedes his essence," implying that people chose their self-identity.

But existentialism in no way implies that one can "know" something about a god that cannot be taught. Its utter poppycock. More than that, its a cowardly cop-out, used by pseudo-intellectuals to avoid having to define their positions and, ironically, their "general principles."
actually I wasn't using existential in reference to sarte's 'existentialism' - i was using it in the first sense

ex·ist·en·tial / Ñ %egzI'stenSJl; NAmE Ñ / adjective [only before noun] 1(formal) connected with human existence
2(philosophy) connected with the theory of existentialism

i would have thought my clarification in brackets would have established that
In the opening post, you cite St. Anselm (not even knowing his name) as defining god as "[t]hat enitity to whom no other entity can be be conceived of as greater." The original ontological argument doesn't work, however. It depends wholly on the fact that god must exist in order to work. If god doesn't exist, its just talk.
therefore you see that i wasn't actually interested in working with the ontological argument, but with the defintion he utilized as a key element for that argument

Originally Posted by lightgigantic

Your intellectual cowardice makes the implication that my "mod ship powers" have any influence on the masses here at sciforums. Indeed, you insult "my atheist buddies" with the very words, obviously intended to poison the well so that if someone does criticize you, you can accuse them of lining up behind the big, bad mod with his awesome powers.
on the contrary I welcome criticism, but only the variety that deals with the analysis of ideas and can refrain from ad homs and other forms of direct and indirect nastiness - thus you are, on the whole, not welcome
;)
Your bitching and crying about that is getting old. Either you're able to defend your nonsense or you aren't. If not, no problem. No one with think less of you if you simply fade away from a given argument. Instead, you demonstrate your intellectual cowardice and retreat to the only defensive position you can muster: "the big, bad mod is ad homing me".
more character assassination
:rolleyes:

Last edited:
Actually supernatural just means that it is beyond current levels of 'natural' understanding, just like to a jungle tribesman, a telephone could be rated supernatural - for a phone technician it would be rather mundane

You really are [edited].

Nice not chatting with you.

Last edited:
Actually supernatural just means that it is beyond current levels of 'natural' understanding, just like to a jungle tribesman, a telephone could be rated supernatural - for a phone technician it would be rather mundane
No - supernatural means BEYOND NATURE.

Regardless of level of "understanding" of nature, supernatural is BEYOND actual nature / the natural.

i.e. BEYOND WHAT IS POSSIBLE IN NATURE

Magic is not "supernatural" because it goes "beyond our knowledge of nature" but because it is BEYOND THE NATURAL.

Super - from the Latin for "above" or "beyond".

So please stop using your own inaccurate definitions for words.
It is highly frustrating and leads to incorrect conclusions on both sides due to your inaccurate use of words.

No - supernatural means BEYOND NATURE.

Regardless of level of "understanding" of nature, supernatural is BEYOND actual nature / the natural.

i.e. BEYOND WHAT IS POSSIBLE IN NATURE

Magic is not "supernatural" because it goes "beyond our knowledge of nature" but because it is BEYOND THE NATURAL.

Super - from the Latin for "above" or "beyond".

So please stop using your own inaccurate definitions for words.
It is highly frustrating and leads to incorrect conclusions on both sides due to your inaccurate use of words.

so would it be incorrect or correct to say that a jungle tribesman views a telephone as supernatural?

so would it be incorrect or correct to say that a jungle tribesman views a telephone as supernatural?
I have no idea. Do you want to show me the jungle tribesman so that I can ask him?

Whether one views something as supernatural or not is irrelevant compared to what IS supernatural or not.

I could view a brick as an aeroplane. It doesn't make it so.
We do not define an aeroplane as "something that is viewed as flying through the air and carrying passengers" - but as "something that DOES fly through the air and carry passengers"

Equally SUPERNATURAL is not something that is merely VIEWED as going beyond the laws of nature, but something that actually DOES.

I have no idea. Do you want to show me the jungle tribesman so that I can ask him?

Whether one views something as supernatural or not is irrelevant compared to what IS supernatural or not.

I could view a brick as an aeroplane. It doesn't make it so.
We do not define an aeroplane as "something that is viewed as flying through the air and carrying passengers" - but as "something that DOES fly through the air and carry passengers"

Equally SUPERNATURAL is not something that is merely VIEWED as going beyond the laws of nature, but something that actually DOES.
well what of newton.

When he first proposed his theory of gravity it was dismissed as being supernatural since it could not be defined by an already existing axiom.

In other words we determine what we declare as supernatural by what we know of as natural, so its not clear how one can determine the extent of natural phenomena for what actually is not supernatural

like for instance it is not clear what process as jungle tribesman would apply to determine that a telephone is not actually supernatural

Last edited:
well what of newton.

When he first proposed his theory of gravity it was dismissed as being supernatural since it could not be defined by an already existing axiom.

In other words we determine what we declare as supernatural by what we know of as natural, so its not clear how one can determine the extent of natural phenomena for what actually is not supernatural
Simply put - those people were wrong.

You can determine what you declare as supernatural however you want.
But it DOES NOT MAKE IT SO.

Until you realise this you will keep using incorrect language.

If you want to qualify something... e.g. "I think it is supernatural" then feel free.
But to declare something as supernatural means that you are stating that it is BEYOND NATURE - IMPOSSIBLE IN NATURE - not just beyond your current understanding of nature.

like for instance it is not clear what process as jungle tribesman would apply to determine that a telephone is not actually supernatural
An education would help. Jumping on the catch-all of "supernatural" would be nothing more than their "god of the gaps" - and would be incorrect.

Simply put - those people were wrong.

You can determine what you declare as supernatural however you want.
But it DOES NOT MAKE IT SO.

Until you realise this you will keep using incorrect language.

If you want to qualify something... e.g. "I think it is supernatural" then feel free.
But to declare something as supernatural means that you are stating that it is BEYOND NATURE - IMPOSSIBLE IN NATURE - not just beyond your current understanding of nature.

then how do you determine what is the absolute limits of what is possible in nature?

Back