define spirituality

NMSquirrel

OCD ADHD THC IMO UR12
Valued Senior Member
a question brought up in another thread..

define spirituality.

i have always associated this with religion and God, but others have said god is not needed for spirituality, i have heard this enough to accept that it is possible,but not enough to communicate how spirituality can exist without god,

so my question is define spirituality in a way that does not include God or religion..
or
how does one achieve spirituality without god?

my spirit and your spirit alone are not god, nor are anyone else's. i've interacted with spirits before that were not the holy spirit (which is only a part of what god is). i think that one of them was an angel, and the rest were human.

By standing up for others even if it is not your battle to fight. Kind gestures and good acts toward another.

there is a difference between spirits and spirituality...

there is? :confused:

but how can spirituality not have anything to do with spirits? i don't get it.

i mean, atheists can be kind and selfless, and do for others, but that certainly doesn't have anything to do with spirituality. right?

They go hand in hand actually...

I drink some spirits, and I find myself feeling quite spiritual..

Sorry, I couldn't resist..:)

haha. i'm pretty sure that feeling is called "tipsy".

you guys are going to make me have to get out my dictionary. :bugeye:

but how can spirituality not have anything to do with spirits? i don't get it.

hmmm..although i didn't say one had nothing to do with the other..i said there was a difference..that does bring up an interesting question which i will avoid..

hmmm..although i didn't say one had nothing to do with the other..i said there was a difference..that does bring up an interesting question which i will avoid..

why avoid an interesting question?

everyone has spirituality. it is an effect from being alive. :rolleyes:

spirituality indeed has nothing to do with religion but can be channeled or shaped by religion just as anything can, as for god and spirituality that would depend on what you define as god.

spirituality would be the total of your life-force, values and emotions.

Don't know that I can define the word, but I can tell you what gives me feelings that I associate with "spirituality".

When I was around 12 years old, we went to Mesa Verde on vacation. I felt a real connection to "something deeper". That was the first time it dawned on me that us, humans, have been doing what we do for a long time. I went back 35 years later and the magic is still there.

Nov 11, 2000 11 AM I was standing in the ruins of Coventry Cathedral. I felt that same connection to "something deeper".

There are times that I am playing music and I tap into "something"... At those times, the music just works. I can think it and it happens. Physically, it leaves me with the same "sense of well-being" that the two incidents above did.

My spirits.....

2396109184_b6220d6970.jpg

Physically, it leaves me with the same "sense of well-being" that the two incidents above did.

except spirituality or one's lifeforce is a dynamic state and it can veer from not feeling well to feeling well.

everyone has a spirituality and people give off those energies as well as it's unique to everyone as well as there are things spiritual we all have in common.

I almost added that I was given a shot of morphine both times I've gone to the hospital for a kidney stone. The feeling was very similar. :p

Back