Debating Theists.... So Impossible

GB-GIL, I'm curious as to what exactly your problem is

GB-GIL
Hey, Theists, why not respond to my whole posts and all of them?
Why is it that every time I invite you to detail that which you are complaining about, you duck the opportunity? Is this going to be like last time, when you had to resort to threats? Do we really have to go through that?

Quite obviously, I don't take issue with every word written in your posts. Being that you are complaining about the use of a word, it would be helpful to figuring out what the hell your problem is if you would provide us with the examples and explain what you find offensive.

However, from gender-bending to renaming. What exactly is so troublesome about simply enumerating your protests?

You keep screaming about this, but come on--there may be explanations, there may be cause for apology. But I'll never know unless you tell me.

And while you're at it, you could try growing up.

As to the parody of illiteracy, I wasn't sure there was anything to respond to. The stupidity of those posts generally speaks for itself.

thanx,
Tiassa :cool:

Notme2000, you are giving us atheists all a bad BAD image and name. Shame on you, sir or ma'am whoever you happen to be. I prefer to keep an open mind, and realize that theists have a perfectly reasonable right to believe in what they believe in. Even if you think their beliefs are stupid, you have to put yourself on an equal level to debate properly. An opening assumption that the other person is mentally deranged and you are some psychiatrist out to "save" that person will not help
Please read more of this thread and you will reailze I used a very bad and open-ended choice of words for the topic of this thread. I put myself at equal level with any theist, beleive them to be completely sane, am not trying to "save" them, only learn from them, and hope I can teach some as well. I realize I made a very bad impression of myself in the beginning of this debate, and it saddens me even more that no one seems to bother reading up to this point to realize that wasn't my finest hour. I really didn't mean to give athiests a bad name, and in fact, am not as I apeared at the beginning of this debate.
It doesn't matter if that person believes in Christ, Allah, Amen-Ra, the God of Corn, Cthulu, or my ass. That person deserves to be respected.
I repect many theists more than I respect many athiests. I don't blame you for having the opinion of me that you do, I would too. Just try to trust me that that was only a weak moment, and I really am not that full of myself.

Tiassa! Please reply to my last post referring to our earlier debate! I am really eager to get a response!

*sigh*

Originally posted by Zero
Xev!!! Of all people I am so glad to see you here. Some comic relief will do us all good.

I would not even consider it "comic relief." It's unessential, pointless, and inapposite....not every single debate needs "comic relief" that is impertinent.

"Yes, let's joke and quaff some beer and forget about the whole debate!" :rolleyes:

Chosen, 'fraid you'll be seeing one atheist here who isn't all that pleased about the way this discussion is going.

You?

Notme2000, you are giving us atheists all a bad BAD image and name. Shame on you, sir or ma'am whoever you happen to be. I prefer to keep an open mind, and realize that theists have a perfectly reasonable right to believe in what they believe in. Even if you think their beliefs are stupid, you have to put yourself on an equal level to debate properly. An opening assumption that the other person is mentally deranged and you are some psychiatrist out to "save" that person will not help (LOL, "saving" someone sounds kinda weird coming out of an atheist, but anyhow). It doesn't matter if that person believes in Christ, Allah, Amen-Ra, the God of Corn, Cthulu, or my ass. That person deserves to be respected.

Oh yes the RESPECT

By Zero
Debating theists is kinda like trying to fight a drunk idiot using only orthodox boxing rules. You fight by the rules, but the other guy doesn't. And what's more, he's too stupid and drunk to know he's defeated if he is, so he keeps on going. Impossible, just conclude that theists are beyond repair and have pity and mercy on them.

Are you a hyprocrite? Or have you taken this statement back and changed your view?

GB...

??? Please explain...I am too brain dead to decipher this right now...

GB, some people don't get your jokes, I do but that wasn't needed at all, what's the point of it?

Coming soon ...

Notme2000

Thank you for the nudge. I'll get on it as soon as I get me brainpan some rest ....

thanx,

Time for me to jump in, another theist joins the battle

Yes, notme, I feel your pain, Tiassa are idiots and you can't gain knowledge from them. It's a never ending debate, and Tiassa never incorporate any logic into their debate.

Hopefully someday Tiassa everywhere will realised the divine truth of atheism and convert from Tiassa to atheism.

You mean all theists are idiots? Believing your conviction over others and dismissing it all because they are Tiassa's, or Theists is poor. And from all your posts you're such an idiot.

I read somewhere else in another thread, believing you are so "righteous" that you thought you were greater then Einstein or something. All because Einstein was heading towards theism? What a joke. Go argue with people your level.

And while you're at it, you could try growing up.

Damn straight. Heard he was pretty young too, no wonder he's such an immature fool, tsk tsk.

As to the parody of illiteracy, I wasn't sure there was anything to respond to. The stupidity of those posts generally speaks for itself.

Yes indeed, very stupid posts. Actually it gaves me a good laugh on how stupid he is.

Re: Time for me to jump in, another theist joins the battle

You mean all theists are idiots? Believing your conviction over others and dismissing it all because they are Tiassa's, or Theists is poor. And from all your posts you're such an idiot.

Ehm... apparently you didn't see what I was trying to say to Tiassa here... I don't really think all theists are idiots, however you certainly come very close I would say.

I read somewhere else in another thread, believing you are so "righteous" that you thought you were greater then Einstein or something. All because Einstein was heading towards theism? What a joke. Go argue with people your level.

I never said WHY I thought I was greater than Einstein, but I did say how but apparently you didn't read that part correctly. And no, it's not because he was leaning towards theism, I just believe I am more intelligent than he is which I have already proven to tens if not hundreds of people.

Damn straight. Heard he was pretty young too, no wonder he's such an immature fool, tsk tsk.

Ooh... You've flattered one old man tonite... I'm 43 years young :cool:

Yes indeed, very stupid posts. Actually it gaves me a good laugh on how stupid he is.

Did you not realise that in those posts eye our tring two ad humir two the dibayt?

Peace pipes?

Wow, very good point. Congrats, Tiassa, you have convinced me to try to understand the idea of religion better. A strong man can admit when he's made a mistake.
I'm very happy we could have this moment of accord. With luck and faith (not religious faith, but faith in people) we can hopefully build something useful for ourselves and others.
I have always viewed religion as filling in the blanks. I've never had any hatred or even uncomfortableness with religion. I have a 6 year old cousin, and he has been raised very religiously. He often asks me to pray with him, which I do. I don't think any God is hearing me pray, but I don't see any harm in it either.
I have to admit, you've got me puzzled.

Specifically, you have dismissed a number of notions which I generally figure to be the motivations of such inquiries as this topic seemed to be headed for. Cool enough: I accept your dismissals and rejections of those motivations. Without irony, sarcasm, or cruelty, I find myself scratching my head and saying, "Why is it important? Oh, well."

I figure that will either become clear or not. But I'm curious enough to want to figure it out.
Lol, so true.
Incidentally, Foucault's Pendulum is a great read for an atheist. It's a massive pseudo-historical, magicoreligious mystery tale with a hell of a twist at the end.
The way I see it, it opens the door to knowledge, but it's up to the individual to walk through it. Now before you say it isn't fair that athiesm opens the door to knowledge and theism doesn't. Theism opens the door to spirituality, something equally important.
I wouldn't say that's unfair. Especially in the modern day. Theism as a form of knowledge is long-past. In that sense, religions often served as templates by which people viewed the Universe. It was not knowledge in the sense that quantifying the temperature of a piece of burning pine in your fireplace. But it was a subjective assertion of reality. Science has changed much of that, filled in the blanks that necessitated such projections of reality. One of my disappointments with Western religions is that they have not kept abreast of the times except to complain about them. If I hope the Bible should remain in existence for thousands of years, it's only because it would be entertaining and enlightening to see what such myths equal and what they become in the face of real knowledge. Religions represent so much of what people do not understand about the Universe that it is entirely possible that they will invent theological icons forever. While questions of "Why are we here?" seem somewhat immature on some occasions, people do still wonder. And until science answers that question as well as "What else is there?" people will continue to invent mythical and allegorical representations.

In that sense, religions can serve as doors to knowledge, but that requires an act of will on the part of the adherent; the condition is not inherent in religious acceptance. But there are plenty of Christian, Hindu, Islamic, &c. people who do see the principles of science as learning the miracles of God's creation.

But I agree that atheism is supposed to be a door to knowledge. I agree that for most, shaking the fetters of religion would be a good thing, and allow them much learning. We'll leave the other side of that "supposed to be" for another day. I think we both know what goes in those blanks. It's one of the things that makes me wish to transcend theist/atheist and look at the problems in human terms. The philosophical arguments of what to do about those problems will make themselves known if we get past the divisions 'twixt people as to what the problems really are.
All I meant by "the rest" was the paragraph about a book you read to make a point that could easily have been made without it. Know what I mean?
Fair enough. I had thought you were referring to the nature of our extraneous words.

But I'm not inclined to trim my words as often as I am inclined to expand them. Simply, I'm quite used to a certain barrage of "standard" challenges to an idea that I don't think are part of it. Many of those extra words address those side issues in order to put them down. For instance, our disagreement over the nature of counsel I give people. In the end, I should have spent at least as much as we spent in total on the subject when I started on it. In the future, I will have to guard against that interpretation, and hence my explanation of the point grows a little longer in the future.
It must be tough sticking by a belief and being concidered mentally ill for believing it, especially since you cannot produce and physical evidence that you're not (Not saying you are)
It's an interesting situation. The only part of it I would resent is that my own mental illness should come from religion. There are those that doubt my psychological condition, and I'm not going to pretend that I blame them. But regardless of religion or lack thereof, I'm not about to hand someone the idea that I'm non compis mentis for the wrong reasons. In fact, when my family would haul me down to see this or that professional as a child, I generally scared them. Psychologists, for instance, tend to think the problem is that I'm too sane. That's a simplification of it, but it's acknowledged that one of the main reasons I make so little sense to people is because they're simply not thinking. I've honestly found that, coincidentally, the more education someone has, the more sane I seem to them. I can't understand that, because I'm not always right in my higher assertions. What I hope to convey is that given the complexity of considerations attached to any one person, I do find it a little bit lusty to seek to classify religion as a mental illness.

However, that is actually a lesser issue. What bugs me about those who suggest mental incompetence is that they're proving certain religionists right. Christians are awfully abusive of atheism, for instance. (Oh-oh, I didn't say "some" ... I wonder if I just upset GB-GIL?) Now, you and I might call a good deal of that religious criticism of atheism inflammatory, inaccurate, narrowminded, &c. I find the atheistic presumption of mental illness, substance addiction, or other such factors to be not only unnecessary but detrimental. And the big offense is this: Those atheists that play insanity and addiction cards are demonstrating two vital issues: (A) narrowmindedness equivalent to those that they oppose, and (B) a lack of compassion for the mentally ill. Somewhere in all those atheism-related topics you can find me blasting a couple of people for ridiculing the mentally ill.

That point having been stated, it does not seem to be a factor in the present state of the topic, so I should probably drop it.
And these people NEED physical evidence to believe you
The irony of the physical-evidence argument is that the atheist would be holding a religious assertion--an unproven concept held in faith--as an argumentative point.
But in the same coin toss, as an athiest, I am often concidered void of emotion, like some sort of logical calculater. I assure you I have strong emotions, in fact I find emotion to be incredibly beautiful to me, since I cannot logically explain it. So you see, we are in the same boat.
You just hit something relevant to why I'm not atheistic anymore. To be honest, most of the atheists I know personally are void of much emotion. Their primary emotion seems to be self-satisfaction, and second to that is self-righteous anger. I went through it during my own atheist phase.

But I think it comes with the broad rejection of religious ideas as ideas which cannot be demonstrated. A lot of the human experience cannot be demonstrated or quantified, and it seems almost (almost) hypocritical to me to reject something on grounds that one accepts elsewhere. I think we see a lot of the logical-calculator routine here at Sciforums. I have a joke I use when I think someone is too deeply into their atheism: I ask if they read novels. Having had many conversations with the logical-calculator side of the atheistic experience, I sometimes come to wonder what that person would be like while reading a novel. It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ..., says the novel and the atheist responds, "You can't prove that."

The joke doesn't go over well, as you can imagine.

But what you describe is similar to my own actual rejection of atheism. I found that my most beautiful words and ideas were suddenly without any place to be in my Universe, and there went my ability to communicate with people, such as to counsel them to their best benefit. It was too high a price to pay.

But, being in the same boat, perhaps we can sail it to brighter shores. Of course, who says we ever have to come ashore?
You want to know what I think? I think athiests miss God, and we're making up for it with "swings". As you can imagine, being in a universe all alone, with no heavenly father, can be a little intimidating.
Wow ... that's a tall assertion. I think it has truth, though. I don't know if atheists miss God, and the reason for that is that they reject God while accepting other myths. To wit: the only reason political boundaries mean anything is because people agree that they do. This is similar to the idea that the only reason God means anything is that people agree it does. Patriotism, state, economy, &c. Of any such acceptance of asserted authority, the myth of God is the only one that generally does not offer a profit during this lifetime. By accepting the state, by accepting equality, by accepting my patriotic duty to my people, I can profit immensely in terms of money and property. By accepting God, I have faith that I will profit after my life is over. I seriously wonder about that line. It does make some logical sense, but that implication of greed does, in fact, make me doubt the integrity of an objectively-based rejection of God-concepts. If the objectively-based rejection has integrity, then as near as I can tell all atheists should be anarchists, too, in order to strip away other subjective conventions of reality.

I don't know if atheists "miss" God, per se. I do think there's a part of the communal experience they're not in on, but I cannot assert that experience to be either positive or negative, and likewise the lack of that experience. I do find the atheist's focus on familiar religion both expected and intriguing. It is expected. After all, we might take a poll and find out how many of Sciforums atheists are born-and-raised atheists as compared to those who have come to atheism by rejecting formerly-held religious beliefs. I know we've got some of each; as an atheist, I was the latter. But I do find the insistent focus common to what seems like most (happy, GIL?) atheists on the religion most local and statistically present to be curious in one aspect: Many atheists--and it seems to be habitual around here--go from their rejection of that local, prevalent religion (e.g. Christianity in the US) and apply that rejection to all gods and religions, regardless of what they do or don't know about them.

And that dedicated focus is what really rings a bell when you say atheists might "miss God". However, if I might be allowed a moment of levity, it does make sense when we stop to consider the couple of atheists who assert that atheism is the natural state one is born in. While I usually make jokes about being unable to walk, speak, feed oneself, and so forth about the natural state in which we are born, I find your notion of missing God and taking swings to compensate intriguing in the same way. It does point toward a natural child-like state. And, yes, that does unfortunately imply that atheists in this condition are childish. But, hey ... at least we get to look at the idea.
This is so much easier. In less than 3 posts I've gone from despising you (sorry) to actually liking you... Lol, ah how the tides turn.
Again, I am so happy we can have this accord.

And I do owe you at least the acknowledgment of my respect. All it really bugged me was the beginning of this topic, which reflected a few unpleasant weeks not long ago. To the other, we have better things to talk about now, so I'm exceptionally happy.
I couldn't agree more. Have something to lean on, not hold them up.
See, that's the thing about all those "manipulations". One need not proselytize against a religion. Frequently, to do so will only reinforce the religion. But a successful result when operating within reality is a strong testament to a way of thinking. People have a right to grow in their faith, and I find the fixing of perspectives an unfortunate symptom. If religionists keep learning, the things they do to annoy others in the name of their religion will be greatly reduced over a fairly short period. That's why I'm happy about the internet generation: there is almost no excuse for a person of faith to not go out and track down the heritage of his or her religion. And there is no excuse for an atheist to not get "somewhat correct" materials to justify their criticisms (after all, what is "correct" in religion; "somewhat correct" is about as well as any of us can do with those materials). And one of my favorite pieces of advice to offer atheists: Not only do those available materials make it easier to state the case, but as the atheist states a proper case more and more, the machinations of religion will be less cause for fear. As far as religions go, Christianity is higher on my "wish-it-was-gone" list than (gasp) Islam. Part of this is familiarity. Part of it is because I know Christianity to be an irreconcilable doctrinal mess, and I haven't reached that conclusion for Islam. But, unlike so many atheists, I cannot transfer from Judaism to Christianity to Islam without starting the process over. I'm obviously rambling on this part, though, so ...
But I do not look at myself as better than thiests. Just more correct in a certain area, and certain area alone. Which is why I realize that just because I may be right in one area, it does not mean that I am the shit and can force feed it to whomever I feel. That would only show how ignorant I would be in other certain areas myself.
Like I said: you've got me puzzled. Over time, your perspective might come to revolutionize the ongoing debate here at Sciforums.

I'll say, "Can I get a hallelujah," but only if you promise to hear my voice dripping with the standard, knowing sarcasm.

You've made a beautiful point. Little can I add, good Jedi.
Well I've dropped the hatchet, I hope I can trust you not to take advantage of that.
It seems to me we're getting more done in the cooperative mode.
No I haven't, if you have a moment, please explain.
It's a little hard to explain because whenever I do, I have a hard time believing it's real. Essentially SDA, Seventh-Day Adventism, is a strange sect of Christianity that finds additional scripture in the prophecies of a deceased woman named Ellen White. They are Sabbatarians (worship on Saturday, not Sunday), and there's nothing wrong with that. But in the six and a half years I've been with my current partner (an SDA "escapee" as they refer to themselves) I've had a consistently scary interaction with the idea. While SDA's are quite prominent in society (regular medicinal breakthroughs, such as baboon-human heart transplants), they are particularly ... chilling ... about other things.

I've seen the following in books sold at SDA bookstores:

• The US government is conspiring against Sabbatarians, passing laws to force them to worship on Sunday
• The UN will sweep across the US at night, arresting all the Sabbatarians and putting them in tiger-cages while they await their execution in the electric chair. (I'm not kidding; the author of that one was a 14 year-old girl who was considered to be somewhat "prophetic".)
•_Dead Latin American and South American cults will conquer the world
• The Pope is the Devil because the Latin phrase "Vicari angus Dei" (I'm unsure if that's the proper rendering), when translated into Greek, I think, equals 666
• The grandfather of my coming daughter once sent me a book called The Keys of This Blood, by Malachai Martin (I think is the name). It was out-of-date when I got it, given its subject matter, but it seemed to assert either a conspiracy or a condition whereby the US, USSR (that's how out of date) and the Catholic Church were bringing about the triumph of Satan. It even went so far as to accuse pagans of supporting communism in the United States specifically to augment Satan's authority in God's kingdom, or something like that--I don't pretend to understand the detail of it. I can't figure out what the guy was aiming for. But then again, it was so terrible a book that I couldn't finish it, so let that be whatever testament it is.

And of my personal associations:

• A scary coincidence is how my partner/girlfriend/call-her-what-you-will keeps running into other SDA "escapees". It really is fairly easy to tell, and though I know there is cultural diversity within the church, I can tell you this much about the surprisingly high number of former SDA's of my association. I do not claim to understand the phenomenon enough to tell you why the following are important: they're all white, they're all of pacifist and occasionally subordinate subcultures, they all hold exceptionally bizarre views of the world (statistically speaking), they all are paranoid to a certain degree that I am capable of recognizing, they are all seeking something to fill the philosophic void left in the absence of their former faith, and they all have difficulty with standard human relationships to a certain degree that I am capable of recognizing. Like I said, I do not claim to understand what that means in any definitive sense. However, as I go down the list, these people are even more screwed up than I am. It is enough that I'm willing to look to the church culture for explanations, and within the writings of prominent SDA's on my friends' bookshelves I've found a vivid, almost delusional perception of reality. (Okay, some of them are downright delusional, but I expect that within any ideological paradigm.)
• My child's grandfather (he will never be my father-in-law; I won't marry the woman) has held some odd theories about the government. He thought Lexis-Nexis was the Devil, although I'm generally of a mind to agree, but for obviously different reasons.
• Some of the SDA's I know were stripped and spanked as punishment until they were 18. This may be a human-level deviation, though; "spare the rod, spoil the child" seems to be an issue of some debate, since others I know were raised by pacifist parents who refused such methods.
• Dietary restrictions of varying degrees do exist, although I'm told they're voluntary, and not religious law.
• This one puzzles me. It's a great story, though. Apparently, Ellen White, the prophetess of SDA history, once criticized bicycles. This was a while ago, when bicycles were still uncommon, and automobiles had not arrived. Apparently, her objections centered around the expense and the status-indication so prevalently perceived among bicycle owners (I will not vouch for this condition except to say that yes, I can imagine it). The prophetess apparently had some commonsense reasons to not want a bicycle. However, I'm told that into the 1980s and 1990s, there were still SDA parents who would not let their children ride bicycles for some abstract reason of sinfulness.

In other words, they're as human as anyone else. But I do find them generally bizarre. If I could understand the motivation for it better, it might make sense to me, but in terms of the running point, I don't think of it as "committing to a lie". I don't think the poor bastards have a chance to begin with.
Only reason this debate was so heated at first is many people were rippin on me for my generalized thread, and you came in at the wrong moment and mentioned something about making my debate or shut the hell up (don't bother explaining, water off the duck's back now) and something just snapped.
Yeah, well ... all I can say is that it, uh ... smelled suspicious as a topic. Something like that. In light of the duck's back, though, I shan't dwell on it. I think we're almost out of the heat.
One of those theist friends of mine, is now the closest to athiesm as a theist can be, thanks to me. And I've watched it happen. Once I mentioned the fact that truth doesn't tend to our needs, it is what it is, like it or not, it's up to you wether you seek truth or hapiness... Well he suddenly changed his philosophy in the journey of life.
We are definitely on a common page. 'Nuff said on that.
But likewise, with his intelligent remarks as a theist, I am now as close to a theist as an athiest can be.
The best hope is always that it ceases to matter at all, but that's another day. The world is always brighter with a little bit of faith. Even if it's just faith that you're reading a poem the way the author hoped and therefore appreciating its full beauty.
I doubt you have seen this side of me in this debate ....
I do believe we're starting to, at least.
I fell victim to pride, wasn't willing to let my previous statements go. Phew, that's hard to admit. I do agree with your subtle but helpfull religous advice method, and do follow it when in that sort of situation.
I'm hoping to not compel you to feeling the nee to admit anything else. Er ... um ... well, yeah. But what I cannot say the same of you is in the fact that, unlike most atheists who have the tone that we, uh, disputed, you seem to belong to a different school of thought, one that does not work to destroy, eliminate, crush, reduce, or otherwise diminish religious thought, but one that seems to deal with the fact of religion's presence in the world and seeks to make the best of it.

And I do admit that it caught me way off guard. It's been ages since I've met a thinker of what degree I see in your perspective.
Fair enough, though I hope with my previous statements I have convinced you I do not hold myself above anyone.
I would like to think that all is cool and breezy :D
Amen to that.
And here I was worried earlier about the proper degree of sarcasm, and it seems you already have it. Or, perhaps sarcasm is wrong. Nonetheless, there I was, worried about perspective issues ....
Lol, if you ever talk to Empty Dragon (the real one), he is one of those, though very deep, so don't shrug him off!
I won't. In fact, the only reason I was so hard on that is that multiple posting ID's have contributed to unnecessary vociferous debates. I am more forgiving when I'm not in one of those sardonic moods and smelling what I think is blood. Most days, I wouldn't care. It was just one of ... those days, I guess.

But yes, I will give E.D. fair hearing. It's the least I can do.
I first started out as an athiest with a grudge against religion ....
(And all that follows in that paragraph.)

You are among a fairly rare breed at Sciforums to declare that. Personally, though, I would say you ought to hang with a couple of mystics. You'd find it a trip. It's all fascinating speculation, and at no time do you have to take it seriously since, technically, the mystics don't. Mysticism is cool that way. And, frankly, a good dose of mysticism and metaphysics will put textbook religion in a very clear context.

I'm not sure what the one has to do with the other. Two cents, two cents.
I completely retract that statement. I know, now that we have dropped the "mechanisms" all together, you ARE just here to learn and teach. My bad, truly, sorry.
Well, thank you. And I don't hold human nature against human beings. How the hell are you to know how bad a day I've had, as such. Many days I wouldn't have noticed at all. Other days, I might have handled myself better. But I am puzzled at how to communicate with other people. Since civility works about as poorly as a complete lack thereof in some cases, I am certainly happy that we've found a better level to communicate on.

And yes, I am full of myself. For instance, I would be arrogant enough to put a condition on that confession: I have a pretty good degree of just how full of shite I really am, and use that knowledge to neutralize any conflicts of ego and propriety. Of course I'm willing to sling with the best and worst of them, but only my freakin' ego says I need to. There is that, so I'll happily trade one mea culpa for another.

You caught me on a day when I seem to have wanted to fight with somebody about something. For that I can only apologize.
And that is what attracted me BACK to this forum which I had originally planned on abandoning.
Honestly, I got a big boost at some point from Spookz's point about a debate about a debate. It struck me as so funny that I actually thought it was a good idea. I'm glad you came back. It's turning out to be much better than I expected. I think sometimes we just have to get out some of the stuff we are, which for some of us is long-seeded and so low-level that we've not wasted time on the specifics, such as a debate about a debate. Personally, I might have been itching for an open ground to have it out on a couple of issues. I've grinned all the way through this thing, bad as well as good. I'm happier with the good, but it's been all over the place and entertaining for that fact.
I have really begun to notice that in this conversation ....
(And all that comes after in that paragraph.)

It's a hard thing. I know exactly why certain atheists are angry with theism in general. But as many are aware, I'm not about to hold with theists for the sake of theism; that is, I still think most organized religions are nuts, I do see a good many religious people as being in need of human help, and so forth. There are a couple of atheists who have been around the Exosci/Sciforums boards long enough to recall when I stood in their trenches and helped fend off a bunch of angry Christians. It's a dynamic perception. We all learn and grow and a whole bunch of hippie shite that probably goes here. But if we bust enough generalizations, hopefully we can get more people to simply stand and represent themselves and to present their issues accurately.

Or something like that.

Have peace, man. Really. I'm going to smoke a bowl for peace.

thanx,

Um ... GIL ...?

Did you not realise that in those posts eye our tring two ad humir two the dibayt?
I'm sorry, GIL. We missed it. Stupid us, we thought humor was supposed to be funny.

yuk-yuk,

Re: Um ... GIL ...?

Originally posted by tiassa
I'm sorry, GIL. We missed it. Stupid us, we thought humor was supposed to be funny.

yuk-yuk,

Unfortunately, folks, Tiassa now thinks he is more than one person. :eek:

ps
Tiassa, I see you every Tuesday, so you'd better watch out :p

Ehm... apparently you didn't see what I was trying to say to Tiassa here... I don't really think all theists are idiots, however you certainly come very close I would say.

I don't think so. :cool:

I never said WHY I thought I was greater than Einstein, but I did say how but apparently you didn't read that part correctly.

Apparently you seem to not know why I stated,"that you thought you were greater then Einstein or SOMETHING." It was because I couldn't remember clearly what you have said, and I won't bother to look for it.

And no, it's not because he was leaning towards theism, I just believe I am more intelligent than he is which I have already proven to tens if not hundreds of people.

More intelligent as in what? There are many types of 'intelligent.' Come up with your own theory then maybe you'll be able to come close to Einstein.

I see...I'll note that next time. But I did get a good laugh from your 'stupid" posts did I not? :p

I have to admit, you've got me puzzled.
Frustration, nothing more, on a normal day, I am very open minded, to at least concider ideas presented to me.
In that sense, religions can serve as doors to knowledge
So in essence, the door is there for everyone to walk through, and we all have the chouce to walk through it. That theist friend of mine often says, there is but one truth, wether we get to it by athiesm or theism or anything in between, as long as we seek it, we do good. I will leave it with that quote.
Psychologists, for instance, tend to think the problem is that I'm too sane. That's a simplification of it, but it's acknowledged that one of the main reasons I make so little sense to people is because they're simply not thinking.
I hope you can believe me I have faced that problem more often than not in my time.
and (B) a lack of compassion for the mentally ill.
Thing is, I don't think those athiests truly believe the theists are mentally ill. I think they just want to write them off as soon as possible, and seem to have a hatred for those same theists because all their wisdom would let them do is "write them off". And it is a reflection of their own weaknesses.
You just hit something relevant to why I'm not atheistic anymore. To be honest, most of the atheists I know personally are void of much emotion.
Brutal truth: I only know 1 athiest. And he is the kind that isn't athiest as a rebellion against God or anything, he just doesn't give a shit about it. I try to relate with him on athiest matters, and he just brushes me off saying "who cares?". So that is probably why the stereotype athiest you refer to (not that you view them as, only refer to them for argument's sake) is so alien to me. I am really the only athiest I know that actually follows through with it.
A lot of the human experience cannot be demonstrated or quantified, and it seems almost (almost) hypocritical to me to reject something on grounds that one accepts elsewhere.
I would be inclined to agree. But I do not reject the idea of a god or other thiest ideas, just don't commit to them.
I think we see a lot of the logical-calculator routine here at Sciforums.
No kidding. The plethera of forums of 1000 pages of proving passages of the bible wrong seem trivial to me. Why not focus on the MEANING, which is so much more important.
It was the best of times, it was the worst of times ..., says the novel and the atheist responds, "You can't prove that."
I could not stop laughing when I read that. I assure you, I am not that kind of athiest, but I really can't say why not. Even I would assume that, lol. But I am an avid reader (reading Brave New World by Aldous Huxley at the moment) and in fact, being swept away by emotion is my escape from the athiest life. It is letting down my guard to the unexplainable, so to speak. So I guess it does make sence.
But what you describe is similar to my own actual rejection of atheism. I found that my most beautiful words and ideas were suddenly without any place to be in my Universe,
I faced a similar dilema in my beginning days as an athiest. But instead of looking at it as my most beautiful words and ideas were without place, I put it as my most beautiful words and ideas were without explanation, which made them all that much more beautiful.
This is similar to the idea that the only reason God means anything is that people agree it does. Patriotism, state, economy, &c.
The only patriotism I see as usefull is that of being members of the human race, not in an egotistical sort of way, an inspiring way.
After all, we might take a poll and find out how many of Sciforums atheists are born-and-raised atheists as compared to those who have come to atheism by rejecting formerly-held religious beliefs.
I would agree, but I think the reason most athiests are previous religious people is organized religion gets you while you're young.
Many atheists--and it seems to be habitual around here--go from their rejection of that local, prevalent religion (e.g. Christianity in the US) and apply that rejection to all gods and religions, regardless of what they do or don't know about them.
That's just close-mindedness.
And, yes, that does unfortunately imply that atheists in this condition are childish.
I agree. But to keep our beliefs equal, theists can be childish in certain circumstances as well.
Like I said: you've got me puzzled. Over time, your perspective might come to revolutionize the ongoing debate here at Sciforums.
I am really flattered. I think in principal, you and I have the same perspective, but from different standpoints. And I really hope there are more out there.

And about the seventh day thing, that sounds truly messed up. I would be interested in conversing with one! It's kind of weird, cause last night I was helping my dad move, and on one of the trips, we drove by a seventh day church!!! And it only furthered my curiosity.
The best hope is always that it ceases to matter at all
When I refer to athiest or theist, it is only to represent the fundamental point they are at in their seek for some form of truth, so you can identify with them. I realize how generalized it is as a word, so I ask that you take it only as a guide as to where to start on your view of the person in question.
I'm hoping to not compel you to feeling the need to admit anything else
Please, elaborate, carefully though, lol. I would like to admit my mistakes where I feel they were mistakes so that we can continue this debate on an even purer level.
you seem to belong to a different school of thought, one that does not work to destroy, eliminate, crush, reduce, or otherwise diminish religious thought
I don't see the point to destroying, eliminating, crushing, reducing, or otherwise diminishing a possibility, that's just closing doors. And eventually, like so many of these close minded athiests, you find yourself locked in a room.
It's been ages since I've met a thinker of what degree I see in your perspective.
Back at you!
You are among a fairly rare breed at Sciforums to declare that. Personally, though, I would say you ought to hang with a couple of mystics. You'd find it a trip.
I honestly think there was a good chance of me turning in to one of those close minded athiests if it weren't for a few factors, one of which being sitting with 2 thiest friends on MUSHROOMS! That will open you up to alternate ways of thinking. I swear for 3 hours I WAS A THIEST in it's purest form for 3 hours. After one of these such mushroom trips, I had a week long reflection on my beliefs, and while they obviously didn't change me to a thiest, it showed me that the thiest belief is an extremely noble one, worth my upmost respect. And that in turn led me to be open to the possibility that I can be wrong, in the strongest sense of the word. Many athiests claim athiesm is the ability to admit you are wrong and know nothing, then go out and spend all day trying to prove a certain belief wrong. That is ridiculous.
And I don't hold human nature against human beings
I greatly respect you for saying that. More often than not I admit I am wrong and the other party only sees that as an opportunity to prove my ignorance, when in fact, we are all ignorant somewhere or another. By admiting we are wrong we close in on those areas and diminish them.
Honestly, I got a big boost at some point from Spookz's point about a debate about a debate.
Lol, so did I. It lets us debate the rules of debate. That can be very productive... Or completely destroy society as we know it.
I think sometimes we just have to get out some of the stuff we are
And that leaves room for something purer then just insecurities. A rewarding practice indeed.
hopefully we can get more people to simply stand and represent themselves and to present their issues accurately.
Sad thing is every belief is valid and worth concideration, however not every person is qualified to present it without turning it in to a malicious attack on someone else's beliefs, and the belief at hand is lost.

Look forward to yet another reply. Keep me thinking!

Tiassa, I just had a 4 hour conversation with those theist friends of mine. I have come to one major conclusion to my method. Most people tend to try to understand everything more than anyone ever has. I realize this to be futile and misleading. Instead, I focus on one thing, and try to understand that one thing better than anyone ever has, effectively raising the par for all other areas of knowledge. I guess I look at my efforts more as a benefit to the human race than to me, myself. The goal to my search has never been hapiness.

One of the theist friends of mine was stating there has to be a balance to everything. Not that there is 50/50 of everything, but the sum always equals one. So 25% + 75% = the universe (in very simplistic terms). Thus if we know 25%, there is still 75% to learn. I agree fully. But they claim that means something has to ocupy the empty space of the universe (God) to equal 100% or 1, and I claim empty space is one of the factors. Eventually this led to how I was wrong to only focus on one thing, cause if there is a balance, focusing on one thing is only looking at one side of the scale. My response was that I acknowledged the other side of the scale, but pushing on both sides would accomplish nothing. By pushing hard on one side, that means something will have to push equally hard on the other side, completing the balance. So the more I learn about one side of the scale, the more it helps us fathom the other side. I hope you're following my metaphor here, lol. They kept referring to how that was counter-productive to my life. And I agreed. My life has nothing to do with it. When I'm in search of truth, not just living my day to day life, I take myself out of the equation (this is most likely where the emotionless calculater stereotype stems from), but this is only when searching for the truth, cause I see emotion as clouding of judgement. They claim I have to find my pure existence so I can be "whole" and keep the balance... I realize the balance isn't at our mercy... So no matter what I do, the balance remains. Thus I only look at myself as a tool with which to excavate knowledge. They could not understand this... Or would not. Which suprised me, cause it seemed as though they had met their limits to what they were willing to accept, which I'm sure they thought of me as well. They seemed unwilling to accept the fact that hapiness, completion, enlightenment WASN'T my goal, but knowledge, or truth, was. I was unwilling to accept the idea that I was in the wrong for doing this. So I guess we both met our limits.

Now you're probably wondering how I expect to reach this truth... I honestly don't, but I do believe I am helping contribute to the eventual realization of it. What could my method accomplish? The more I focus on one side of the scale (science), the more the other side (religion) is forced to keep up, until one day, maybe, we can find a common truth... And FINALLY link both sides and step back and see the scale as a whole. Truth. This is why I've always viewed theists as potentially right, but never inquired much deeper. It just seems to me that, while the truth is obviously comprised of more than one thing, until we know that truth, trying to be all things at once is pointless.

I'd be interested on your take on this.

Last edited:
I respect theism, I'm open minded!

I almost converted to Sunni Muslim once because it was so convincing! My only reason for not doing so was because even though it is written on our lungs that we should be Muslims, this is possibly coincidental and isn't really proof (although it is very interesting, perhaps it is really a mark of God)

However, I have less respect for theists and atheists who seek to put labels on atheists or other classes of theists (ie polytheists or other monotheist denominations) and many theists and atheists do do such things. Tiassa does very, very much of that, The Chosen does much of that, Ekimklaw does that to a much, much lesser degree, etc.

I admire Christianity and Islam because, although I believe in some places it is fractured or contradictory, it gives one a sense of hope that God is there for them and when people close to them die they can feel happy instead of sad because they believe that person has gone to a better place (unless that person wasn't "the right religion" of course)

Originally posted by Dark Master

Didn't seem like it to me...I'll take that into consideration. [/B]

Why? Because I don't respect Tiassa? Or because I don't believe God exists? Maybe it's because I don't believe in God without a reason for not believing in God. Well, I've stated a reason... And respecting Theism is different from respecting a Theist or even all Theists.

Didn't seem like it to me...I'll take that into consideration.

Since when was your opinion relevent to anything, Dark Master?

Hey, I almost converted to Christianity a month ago.

Hey Tiassa...

I copied your post ("peace Pipes...") to my clipboard and pasted it into Word guess what?

10 pages!! Wow!

I'm glad you have plenty of free time to sit around and type your rather longwinded and self-aggrandizing posts. Seems to be more than just a casual past-time for you. That's fine by me, I guess.

Some people eat cereal... and some people write books about the social history of eating cereal. Whatever lofts your plane.

I suppose it doesn't surprise me in the least that you are a proud consumer of an illegal substance. Namely marijuana.

Some people obey the laws... and some people do whatever the hell they feel like.

-Mike

If...

==============================================
Xev wrote:
Hey, I almost converted to Christianity a month ago.
==============================================

Hey Xev, if you convert... it might work out between us. ;)

-Mike

Mike:

Stop teasing me. I really almost did. I'm almost doing it now. I'm sitting here reading "Memnoch the Devil" and thinking "holy shit, this is actually possible". :eek: Er, not the vampires bit, the "existance of God" bit.

I mean, sure, belief isn't logical, but neither is skepticism. Both are really just states of mind. I've grown up questioning everything. What is to say that this is of any validity? I mean, I instinctively sense power. But I have no reason to believe this, any more than you have any reason to believe in God?

What if we are sensing the same thing?

"The heart has reasons, which reason does not know"

Aye. 'Tis the intuitive and primal side of man.

"We feel it in a thousand things"

Fucking-a right! We know what intuition is.

"I say that the heart naturally loves the Universal Being, and also itself naturally"

What difference is there between this and my Friedrich, whom I feel intuitively to be right.

"according as it gives itself to them; and it hardens itself naturally against one or the other at its will"

Ummm, whatever.

"You rejected the one, and kept the other. Is it by reason that you love yourself?"

*Xev blinks in confusion for a moment*

I've never loved myself, but I have always loved power. Substitute this and - how is my intuitive knowledge of power difference from your intuitive knowledge of God? What if they are no different?

There's what you get for reading Anne Rice and H.P Lovecraft and Nietzsche and Pascal within a 24 hour period.

I think I might be kinda starting to believe in this - ah, stuff.

This is intolerable. I need booze.

*Xev promptly loses the last remnents of her sanity, throws "the will to power" against the wall, and heads out in search of vodka*

Back